Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Days Gets a Pickup; Hall, Hogestyn Out!; Article Summary
Topic Started: Nov 19 2008, 09:26 AM (4,322 Views)
mbdimera
Member Avatar

Corday would take a serious beating no matter what he does in this situation, deserved or not. Whether he mismanaged up until this point doesn't change the fact that he has a severely slashed budget that he has to work with now.

This is probably where Tomlin should step in. Take some of the emotion out of the cuts that need to be made.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

Sorry but I have no sympathy for Corday (surprise, I know).

Desperate times or not, you don't get rid of (arguably) your most popular leading lady who's been nothing but loyal and supportive for the better part of three decades. It's not exactly rocket science.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Mason
Nov 19 2008, 03:36 PM
Sorry but I have no sympathy for Corday (surprise, I know).

Desperate times or not, you don't get rid of (arguably) your most popular leading lady who's been nothing but loyal and supportive for the better part of three decades. It's not exactly rocket science.
So you would rather Corday fire maybe 15 or so other actors that, together, would match Hall's salary. That would leave us with a cast of about 10 or 15. You honestly think that small of a cast is going to be able to work well? I don't.

Yes, it's unforunate for Hall (Hogestyn too). She's been very loyal to this show, but looking at this at a business standpoint, this was the smartest move. Emotionally, it's harder to understand.

Mason

DrewHamilton
Nov 19 2008, 03:40 PM
So you would rather Corday fire maybe 15 or so other actors that, together, would match Hall's salary. That would leave us with a cast of about 10 or 15. You honestly think that small of a cast is going to be able to work well? I don't.
I seriously doubt he would have had to fire THAT many. And sure, it saves money, but there are some major players that are just not worth cutting, at least in my opinion.

As for a cast of 15, of course it wouldn't work for a daily hour long series. But then again, even with a cast of about 25-30 right now the show's still not working.

Hell, if I had my way, the whole damn show would just be cancelled and we get reruns of DAYS's glory years.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

mbdimera
Nov 19 2008, 03:13 PM
This is probably where Tomlin should step in. Take some of the emotion out of the cuts that need to be made.
It's not Tomlin's fault that DAYS' budget is in ruins. It's not up to him to make these casting blows have less impact.

And if Corday isn't keen on giving creative control over the show to Tomlin or anyone else with a modicum of talent(and history proves that: Broderick, Brash/Cwikly, Reilly, Sheffer, Scott), then he should man up and take the well-deserved heat.

I don't feel bad for Corday. AT ALL. He drove this show into the ground with his constant interference and bad management decisions.

The only people I feel sorry for are the talent, production, and crew people that will get laid off, have their hours trimmed, or have to look for other work in an already shrinking market.

Do not give Corday your sympathy.

Days4Life

DrewHamilton
Nov 19 2008, 03:01 PM
I kind of feel bad for him too, King.

Yes, he's made some really bad decisions. But the pressure of running this show, pretty much by yourself, has to be a workload for anyone. We all make bad decisions in our lives. And DAYS' future has been in jeopardy for the last 5 years. I'm not surprised by the irratic decisions Corday has made. He's desperate. You know what they say, desperate times call for desperate measures. When Corday doesn't think one thing is working, he's going to try and fix it. For the most part, all of his plans to fix the show have backfired and that's why we are in the position we are in now.

But I get tired of hearing fans say that Corday is trying to kill the show. I don't think that's the case. This is his parents' legacy. Hell, it's his legacy. He doesn't want the show to fail. But when you have all this pressure, you make decisions, and sometimes you have to make the decisions first and think about it later.

I just wouldn't want to be Corday right now.
I agree. I think Corday has always wanted his parents' legacy to survive. If he didn't care about DAYS, he would have given up a long time ago because it's certainly a thankless job. However, he's not cut out for the job, and I wish he had admitted that a long time ago and found someone who did have a strong vision for the show, as well as the ability to do what needs to be done so that it's a creative as well as financial success. There are so many loyal fans who want this show to succeed and time after time Corday has made bad decisions that have let them down. I think even now he's fighting for the show, and I'm sure he didn't want to let Drake and Deidre go, but because of all the stupid things he's done in the past, the viewers are not going to be willing to overlook this so easily. And his explanation is not good enough. Don't insult the fans by trying to placate them with a happy ending. If the reason the DHs are going is because their contract cycles are up and he can't afford to pay them another six months without firing half the cast, then say so. All of these TV executives need to quit underestimating the intelligence of the viewers.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Mason
Nov 19 2008, 03:44 PM
I seriously doubt he would have had to fire THAT many. And sure, it saves money, but there are some major players that are just not worth cutting, at least in my opinion.

As for a cast of 15, of course it wouldn't work for a daily hour long series. But then again, even with a cast of about 25-30 right now the show's still not working.

Hell, if I had my way, the whole damn show would just be cancelled and we get reruns of DAYS's glory years.
There has to be some reason Corday chose Hall and Hogestyn first. And the most logical is that their salaries are the most costing. They need to be the first to go. Corday is trying to make this show survive, and the stacks are against him. It's going to be a risky move, but hopefully, it will prove successful, and Hall and/or Hogestyn can come back in the future.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Jane had a really good point a page or so back about contract cycles. Corday said that Deidre and Drake would be off the air for the foreseeable future. Could it be that due to how cast contract cycles fall, he had to cut them (because, really, you know they have to be 2 of the higher paid actors on the show) due to finances and because he couldn't feesably cut other performers whose cycles weren't up yet. However, once he can write out enough of the secondary contract actors at the ends of their respective cycles, he has intentions of bringing Deidre and Drake back once he has enough money freed up to pay them? IMO, it really comes down to a business decision concerning money, numbers, and accounting. Do you keep two very highly paid fan favorites and continue to pay a larger number of secondary performers because of contract cycles (even if you were to get rid of them) and risk completely running out of money to even put the show on, or get rid of the two highly paid fan favorites (freeing up the money used for their saleries so that it can go to keeping the show running) while waiting out the contract cycles of the actors you can get rid of so that the money used to pay them can be turned around to pay for the two fan favorites? No matter what the fans want, any show on the air is bound by things like calenders, contracts, and available money.

Mason

I don't have any objection with Hogestyn's firing. None at all. I've gotten so sick of "Jawn" that it's completely tainted the character for me.

I think if Corday fired Taylor, Koslow, Dattilo, Bjorlin, and Christian, along with Hogestyn, he would definitely have enough to pay Deidre. She is most definitely needed.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Ellie
Nov 19 2008, 09:26 AM
Please link to DR:

Summary of article:

(Picture of Drake and Deidre, inset picture of Corday).

The article states there is good news and bad news. The good news is that NBC has renewed Days, and Corday says he is very happy, because there was a period of time where he really didn't know if that was going to happen. He is grateful to NBC for "keeping the faith" in the show.

The bad news is that, as SOD puts it, "superstars Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn will be leaving." Corday says the renewal is at a 40% reduced fee. Because of that, he has to "retool" the show. He says he's not making a cheaper show, but perhaps even a better show. He says the business world today is just like that, and that this will take "cooperation" from everyone.

Then Corday says (as was quoted on the SOD site): "The couple will be happily reunited after a long period of angst and separation and will be off-screen after January for an unknown period of time." Corday says it was not an easy decision and that Drake and Deidre have been "wonderful for a long time". The decision isn't related to their work - he calls them "brilliant" and mentions their many fans. He reminds us that the characters are not dead and that characters have returned before on Days.

Corday then goes on to discuss the rest of the cast. He says there will be other cuts and that production is going to be "downsized" as well. The cast will need to "cooperate economically", and if they don't, then recasts are possible. He says that everyone is a spoke in the wheel, and the center of the wheel is the hourglass. There is nothing he can do about the budget issues. He says (as the SOD website quoted) that this is the "darkest period" he's ever gone through, and it's so hard for him since this is affecting people he's worked with for so long. "How can something be more difficult, except for them?"

In the last paragraph Corday relates that Days will come out better after this transition period is over.
Thanks Ellie! I wonder if that cooperation includes himself? Will he still make his usual salary? Will he cut down on his many vacations? Somehow I doubt that.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Nov 19 2008, 03:49 PM
There has to be some reason Corday chose Hall and Hogestyn first. And the most logical is that their salaries are the most costing. They need to be the first to go. Corday is trying to make this show survive, and the stacks are against him. It's going to be a risky move, but hopefully, it will prove successful, and Hall and/or Hogestyn can come back in the future.
Excuse my bluntness but why the fuck should they come back?

mbdimera
Member Avatar

IHeartDRRick
Nov 19 2008, 03:45 PM
mbdimera
It's not Tomlin's fault that DAYS' budget is in ruins. It's not up to him to make these casting blows have less impact.

What I meant was, since Corday doesn't seem to want to make the tough decisions, this is when Tomlin should sit him down and tell him who should be cut in order to try and save the show. I really think Corday has lost objectivity when it comes to these things.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Matt
Nov 19 2008, 03:51 PM
Jane had a really good point a page or so back about contract cycles. Corday said that Deidre and Drake would be off the air for the foreseeable future. Could it be that due to how cast contract cycles fall, he had to cut them (because, really, you know they have to be 2 of the higher paid actors on the show) due to finances and because he couldn't feesably cut other performers whose cycles weren't up yet. However, once he can write out enough of the secondary contract actors at the ends of their respective cycles, he has intentions of bringing Deidre and Drake back once he has enough money freed up to pay them? IMO, it really comes down to a business decision concerning money, numbers, and accounting. Do you keep two very highly paid fan favorites and continue to pay a larger number of secondary performers because of contract cycles (even if you were to get rid of them) and risk completely running out of money to even put the show on, or get rid of the two highly paid fan favorites (freeing up the money used for their saleries so that it can go to keeping the show running) while waiting out the contract cycles of the actors you can get rid of so that the money used to pay them can be turned around to pay for the two fan favorites? No matter what the fans want, any show on the air is bound by things like calenders, contracts, and available money.
That's a good point. Maybe they'll be asked back once financial issues have been taken care of. Contract cycles confuse the hell out of me! :hypnotize:

jules

Thanks Ellie! Corday never disappoints me with his lack of class and integrity. He fires people who have been a huge part of the success of Days and then has the gall to basically say the show will be better without them in the end. I feel NO sympathy for this pathetic man. I will be so happy on Deidre and Drake's last day because I can finally be done with the show. I don't care if the show crashes or soars. And thanks for pointing out how Corday didn't even have the class to speak more about Deidre and Drake than his own pain.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

The problem with the contract cycles Matt is why not take them off contract, but have them recurring, pull them out once every other week, keep them there until you decide to put them back on contract? Why make them clear out their dressing rooms, make it seem final and then, "Oh snap, we lied, they're heeeeeeere."?

I really don't think they're coming back. And if they do, I don't think enough fans will care to watch at that point. The damage will be done.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Sweet Sauce
Nov 19 2008, 04:00 PM
Look at history, girl. Everyone comes back to DAYS! :lol:

bellcurve
Member Avatar

mbdimera
Nov 19 2008, 04:01 PM
IHeartDRRick
Nov 19 2008, 03:45 PM
mbdimera

What I meant was, since Corday doesn't seem to want to make the tough decisions, this is when Tomlin should sit him down and tell him who should be cut in order to try and save the show. I really think Corday has lost objectivity when it comes to these things.

I see your point now. But doing what you suggested requires Corday to give full creative control of DAYS to someone competent. And it's proven that he can't or doesn't want to.

CatherineEarnshaw

I have no sympathy for Corday. One example shows his culpability

When Jope started, Days lost over a million viewers in a two months.

Fans protested.
He took that to be interest (in spite ofthe lower ratings). That was the first time he said that if viewers are throwing sandwiches at the screen, the show is working.

If fans are eternally miserable (in this case because of character destruction, they eventually give up.

he deserves whatever he gets imo.

His parents kept a close watch over quality control.
He didn't.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Sweet Sauce
Nov 19 2008, 04:00 PM
DrewHamilton
Nov 19 2008, 03:49 PM
The same reason Melissa Reeves, Mathew Ashford, Renee Jones, Joseph Mascolo, Drake Hogestyn and so many others that have been fired or let go at one time eventually came back..Its a job they love doing and Days is their family...

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Days will be cancelled after this transition period is over. LOL. Is Corday saying DAYS off the air will be better than the crap they are going to put out now with the recasts and strangers on screen?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply