Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Days Gets a Pickup; Hall, Hogestyn Out!; Article Summary
Topic Started: Nov 19 2008, 09:26 AM (4,341 Views)
Mason
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Nov 19 2008, 04:12 PM
Days will be cancelled after this transition period is over. LOL. Is Corday saying DAYS off the air will be better than the crap they are going to put out now with the recasts and strangers on screen?
If he is, it would be just about the first thing he's ever said that I actually agree with, LoL.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

shayera

Does Ken Corday or anyone around him with a brain read the message boards online?

Or are they still living in the 80's where they think we are stupid and dumb viewers that won't question mistakes?

I mean, I'm a member at 4 other message boards and everyone is angry in one way or another. Does he even realize what he's done to those of us left watching???

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Days of Our Lives Mega-Stars Fired
Nov 19, 2008 03:33 PM ET by Erin Fox

Days of Our Lives' much-beloved romantic duo and longtime stars Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn have been cut from NBC's only soap as it deals with budget cuts, the show announced in a statement Wednesday.

The shocking layoffs of the highly-paid veteran soap actors who play Dr. Marlena Evans and John Black come after the show's producers cut spending earlier this month to keep the Days on the air for at least another 18 months.

The good news, if any, for fans, is that after a yearlong separation on the show, Marlena and Black will be reunited as a couple before leaving the show next year.

Hall has been on the 43-year-old soap on and off since 1976, while Hogestyn was joined in 1984 as mystery man John Black, who initially turned out to be Marlena's presumed dead husband, Roman, who was played by Wayne Northrop. It gets much more complicated from there, but to say the least, their romance was legendary in daytime television.

Hall crossed over to prime time in 1986 when she starred in Our House alongside Wilford Brimley and a young Shannen Doherty.

Is this a sign of the end for Days? Share your favorite Marlena/Roman/John Black memories below.

http://www.tvguide.com/Soaps/Days-Lives-Mega-67200.aspx

CatherineEarnshaw

Angie79
Nov 19 2008, 04:23 PM
Days of Our Lives Mega-Stars Fired
Nov 19, 2008 03:33 PM ET by Erin Fox

Days of Our Lives' much-beloved romantic duo and longtime stars Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn have been cut from NBC's only soap as it deals with budget cuts, the show announced in a statement Wednesday.

The shocking layoffs of the highly-paid veteran soap actors who play Dr. Marlena Evans and John Black come after the show's producers cut spending earlier this month to keep the Days on the air for at least another 18 months.

The good news, if any, for fans, is that after a yearlong separation on the show, Marlena and Black will be reunited as a couple before leaving the show next year.

Hall has been on the 43-year-old soap on and off since 1976, while Hogestyn was joined in 1984 as mystery man John Black, who initially turned out to be Marlena's presumed dead husband, Roman, who was played by Wayne Northrop. It gets much more complicated from there, but to say the least, their romance was legendary in daytime television.

Hall crossed over to prime time in 1986 when she starred in Our House alongside Wilford Brimley and a young Shannen Doherty.

Is this a sign of the end for Days? Share your favorite Marlena/Roman/John Black memories below.

http://www.tvguide.com/Soaps/Days-Lives-Mega-67200.aspx
they got Drake's date wrong. it was 86.

There are so many comments already.

destinyrules
Member Avatar

Another article:

Every few months, soap fans work themselves into a major lather over this plotline or that casting decision, and this week they’re focused on a doozy of a twist, one worthy of a soap plot itself.

Earlier this week, “Days of Our Lives,” the only daytime soap that has not seen its ratings tumble among key demos this season, fired its two stars, Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn, both of whom have been with the show more than two decades.

Their characters' on-and-off love story has been at the center of the fictional town of Salem for years, and one blogger compared their firings to axing Bill Cosby from “The Cosby Show.”

NBC promises the estranged couple will be reunited before their January exits, but that’s a small comfort to angry fans, who have posted thousands of protests on messageboards.

"'Days of Our Lives' has decided to rest the characters of 'John Black' and 'Marlena Evans,'" the network said in a statement. "After a year of separation, 'John' and 'Marlena' will finally reunite before exiting the canvas in early 2009."

Hall, who has played Marlena since 1976, has had some of daytime’s zaniest storylines in that time, perhaps the two most infamous being her possession by Satan and serial killer phase, though it turned out her victims were alive and well and living on an island. Like every good soap character, she’s also died and come back to life.

The firings came just days after NBC renewed “Days” through 2010, a decision that surprised and delighted fans. NBC has been paring down its daytime soaps, canceling “Passions” last year to make room for a fourth hour of “Today.”

Many expected the network to dump “Days” as well, since it’s the network’s lone remaining soap. But NBC issued the renewal on the condition of severe budget cuts, and the high-salaried Hall and Hogestyn likely won’t be the last casualties.

“If DOOL continue to replace popular actors with other unknown actors. They might as well cancel the show. Enough already!!!,” writes one poster on the official “Days” site’s forum.

“I have watched the show for forty-two years and there were several other times I wanted to stop watching. Every camel has a final straw,” threatens another. “There are plenty of other things I can do during that daily hour!”

Still, NBC has to take comfort in the fact that fans remain so engaged and interested in the show that they’d react this way. While numbers for every other soap on television have dipped this season among women 18-49 and 25-54, “Days” has held steady, according to Nielsen data analyzed by NBC.

“Days” is tied for No. 3 this season in daytime among women 18-49 with a 1.4 rating, and it’s averaging a 1.5 among women 25-54.

By comparison, ABC’s “General Hospital,” which ranks tops in those demos, is down 6 and 10 percent. Other shows are off even more.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/artman2/publish/Dayparts_update_51/Sudsy_tempest_on_Days_of_our_lives.asp

FanODays

The only thing I can say to this is that Corday is an ass.

MoonShadowed
Member Avatar

WOW over the phone for both of them
what a lil pussy Corday is
no thank you
no, i'm sorry

fuck you asshole

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

AllTheSame
Nov 20 2008, 05:50 PM
no thank you
no, i'm sorry

fuck you asshole
Over the phone for both?

Good grief,where is your guts Corday,course how do you look Deidre Hall in the face after 32 years and say ''Your Fired'',he's an ass.

MoonShadowed
Member Avatar

Matt
Nov 19 2008, 03:51 PM
Jane had a really good point a page or so back about contract cycles. Corday said that Deidre and Drake would be off the air for the foreseeable future. Could it be that due to how cast contract cycles fall, he had to cut them (because, really, you know they have to be 2 of the higher paid actors on the show) due to finances and because he couldn't feesably cut other performers whose cycles weren't up yet. However, once he can write out enough of the secondary contract actors at the ends of their respective cycles, he has intentions of bringing Deidre and Drake back once he has enough money freed up to pay them? IMO, it really comes down to a business decision concerning money, numbers, and accounting. Do you keep two very highly paid fan favorites and continue to pay a larger number of secondary performers because of contract cycles (even if you were to get rid of them) and risk completely running out of money to even put the show on, or get rid of the two highly paid fan favorites (freeing up the money used for their saleries so that it can go to keeping the show running) while waiting out the contract cycles of the actors you can get rid of so that the money used to pay them can be turned around to pay for the two fan favorites? No matter what the fans want, any show on the air is bound by things like calenders, contracts, and available money.
i thought that was a good post too
but WHY fire them and make it all public?

why can't he just say, yeah we have a budget crisis atm
and because we're a family that sticks together
several cast members have decided to take extended vacations while we sort ourselves out
they will be back shortly

Cycle or not
Deidre & Drake should tell him to go fuck himself

MoonShadowed
Member Avatar

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Nov 20 2008, 05:57 PM
AllTheSame
Nov 20 2008, 05:50 PM
no thank you
no, i'm sorry

fuck you asshole
Over the phone for both?

Good grief,where is your guts Corday,course how do you look Deidre Hall in the face after 32 years and say ''Your Fired'',he's an ass.
that's what i heard
and it's prob ture
coz u know he's chicken shit

jane1978

I think anybody who says DAYS should keep Dee/Drake no matter what needs to watch the show tomorrow, because that perfectly sums up what is the biggest trouble of those extreme expensive characters.

Basically, this sweeps we´ve had two murders. One, the Trent´s murder, a story lead by the newbies/non expensive actors. All beats could be played, there was no screentime limitiation and it could culminate dramatically most of this week as it should.

On the other side, Mayor´s murder, story for vets. We see them again tomorrow after a week or so absence (and poor Steve after almost month and half) with no build up. The killer is already on the scene and everything is rushed up beyond reason so it can be dealt with on Monday and the characters will disappear for atleast another week. Why? Because the show cannot afford to use them more. And this was taped even before the latest budget cuts so imagine how limited the story possibilities would be now.

Even if Dee and Drake stayed they would never had any substantial story again due all those restrictions. And keep them as supporting is not only uneconomic but very frustrating for the fans too, because most of them don´t know anything about budget, quaranties, set limitations and I don´t know what else the EP and HW has to deal on daily basis and believes writing for DAYS is just as easy as writing fanfictions.

Edited by jane1978, Nov 20 2008, 06:25 PM.

e83talus
Member Avatar

jane1978
Nov 20 2008, 06:22 PM
I think anybody who says DAYS should keep Dee/Drake no matter what needs to watch the show tomorrow, because that perfectly sums up what is the biggest trouble of those extreme expensive characters.

Basically, this sweeps we´ve had two murders. One, the Trent´s murder, a story lead by the newbies/non expensive actors. All beats could be played, there was no screentime limitiation and it could culminate dramatically most of this week as it should.

On the other side, Mayor´s murder, story for vets. We see them again tomorrow after a week or so absence (and poor Steve after almost month and half) with no build up. The killer is already on the scene and everything is rushed up beyond reason so it can be dealt with on Monday and the characters will disappear for atleast another week. Why? Because the show cannot afford to use them more. And this was taped even before the latest budget cuts so imagine how limited the story possibilities would be now.

Even if Dee and Drake stayed they would never had any substantial story again due all those restrictions. And keep them as supporting is not only uneconomic but very frustrating for the fans too, because most of them don´t know anything about budget, quaranties, set limitations and I don´t know what else the EP and HW has to deal on daily basis and believes writing for DAYS is just as easy as writing fanfictions.

This doesn't prove that days should get rid of the DH's, it simply proves what some of us have been saying: The writing sucks! Who cares that Trent or the Mayor was murdered?
If Sami cries and goes into another safe house I think I will kill myself and end it all!
I could not care less what Trent did to Melanie, Max, or Nicole! Do you know why? I don't care that someone killed him and what their motivation was. He served no purpose. His presence did nothing to forward anyone elses story or life. So who cares that he isn't onscreen anymore?

That is just bad writing, a bad plot, and a cast forced to discuss it all on screen. This has been Days problem since January 07. The DH's salaries had to be paid then, however genius KC decided to bb them and pay them to do nothing. While on screen we got Tindau Lau with Shelle v. Phelle and Crazy Steve, two equally awful s/l's. The Dimera v. Brady Vendetta had great potential however someone's genius jumped out again with deciding to have Bope, Jarlena, & Dulie read letters about dual roled Sami and EJ while Lucas ran around screaming at the top of his lungs and rampaged about Ejami! Background to this was the fiasco known as "touch my Thighs (I mean the skies)!

Salaries and budgets have not been Days problem but writing and plot direction has. Now since NBC has given them fiscal restrictions they need to cut back, but that doesn't change their existing problem of writing...

Lets not even mention the fact that he did not ask D&D to make a financial sacrifice but simply fired them via telephone!

Days4Life

jane1978

You make excellent points, Jane. It's very easy for us to rant and rave about our favorites and their stories, screen time, etc., but we don't know what all is involved in running this show. It's got to be very difficult to work around all the constraints they have, and it's a thankless job as well because there's always a fanbase that isn't happy. While I think a lot of mistakes have been made over the years, I do think Corday ultimately wants to keep DAYS on the air, and right now that means some very difficult decisions must be made. There are a lot of jobs on the line--cast, crew, writers, makeup, wardrobe--and that is a very heavy responsibility for the producers. I certainly wouldn't want to be in their shoes right now.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978

Great post.

I understand what D&D fans are going through. It sucks. I adore Dee and will miss her like crazy and Drake won me back over again this year. However, you have to put yourself in the situation and doing what is best for the show. How many other people work there? Some keep saying that if your just going to axe vets or limit them, cancel the show now. Ok, so cancel a show and put others out of work and break the hearts of fans who still like the show and want it around because your faves are out? That doesn't seem fair to me.

Oh, how I wish there was Internet in the 80's. Actually, no I don't and I don't think most fans do either because, if there was, I would bet the show would've been in a similar predicament and we may not have ever gotten Bo, Hope, John, etc. I know people who watched at that time, including myself, who were just as mad, if not worse, then many on the net right now over seeing their faves pushed aside for the new era of couples and characters. Same goes for the early 90's. How many beloved faces were let go? Matthew Ashford and Missy Reeves were extremely popular yet Matt was fired. I remember then being a worry about Days crashing and it didn't. Why? Because they retooled and through that process came out with a tighter, fresher show and the storytelling was upped a notch. If the show can do that again, there will be no problem.

I'm in upper management. I hate it. I can't bare laying off people who are friends or people who have worked for us for over two decades but you have to. Otherwise, the business goes under and the whole company is out of work. We all have our faves but sometimes we have to look past that and acknowledge that there is valid reason behind this. No one has to agree with it or keep watching or whatever but some are acting like there was absolutely no rhyme or reason to this and there was.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Nov 20 2008, 08:41 PM
Some keep saying that if your just going to axe vets or limit them, cancel the show now. Ok, so cancel a show and put others out of work and break the hearts of fans who still like the show and want it around because your faves are out? That doesn't seem fair to me.
I think you're misinterpreting the sentiment. The people who are posting that truly feel that six months from now, the show will be in GL territory. I know you and I disagree on that, but I'm just explaining where those 'cancel the show now' comments are coming from. Many fans who have devoted years to this show would like to see it go out with some dignity, and they feel that these firings are a sign that that will never happen.

(And as for the rest of your post - we just had that exact discussion in the ratings thread, lol, so I won't 're-run' my posts here.)
Edited by Ellie, Nov 20 2008, 11:58 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

I don't think it's selfish to want to see your favorite soap go out with a bang rather than a whimper (which, at this rate, it will). But that's JMO.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Well, some may still feel there is a chance of that. These cuts don't necessarily mean a nail in the coffin. They may but we won't know until the dust settles.

It's all subjective but we'll see. I'm still hoping for the best.

Implosion

You are right of course Phoenix, but I still think it is a problem to announce stuff like this, if the nail is not in... so to speak. Fans are already disgruntled over the show.......why take the risk to further alienate us....

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Well, Corday is not the sharpest tool in the shed so no surprise LOL.

If he does end up bringing them back, he will see it as at least getting publicity. He probably loves the adage that any press is good press.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ellie
Nov 20 2008, 11:57 PM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 20 2008, 08:41 PM
Some keep saying that if your just going to axe vets or limit them, cancel the show now. Ok, so cancel a show and put others out of work and break the hearts of fans who still like the show and want it around because your faves are out? That doesn't seem fair to me.
I think you're misinterpreting the sentiment. The people who are posting that truly feel that six months from now, the show will be in GL territory. I know you and I disagree on that, but I'm just explaining where those 'cancel the show now' comments are coming from. Many fans who have devoted years to this show would like to see it go out with some dignity, and they feel that these firings are a sign that that will never happen.
Exactly.

I understand that cancelling the show would suck for the people who are actually still enjoying it, but it would suck just as much for me to watch the show get pulled pulled apart limb by limb. I'm a fan of the show too, so why should my thoughts and wishes be ignored just because I don't eat everything this show tries to shove down my throat?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply