Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: Who would you cut?
Topic Started: Nov 19 2008, 06:48 PM (2,767 Views)
Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Okay we are already losing Drake and Deidre, I don't want this a discussion about that..But we are bound to lose more...Which actors are the best choices to get cut based on potential storylines, fan reaction, and salary??????

Here are my picks...
1. Josh Taylor- He hasn't been used for years..The fact that he's been Corday's friend has saved his butt before..But Corday just had to fire Deidre Hall..If he can fire her, he can fire a friend...Roman is really a character that would work better as a recurring character anyways..Use him for holidays, weddings, and big events in Sami's life..Bo and Hope can take care of the police business..
2. Thaao Penglis- I really enjoy Tony, but they've basically paid him all year to do nothing (minus a few great weeks of material during the lockdown storyline..Its time to send Tony and Anna packing around the world...He's a vet so he probably makes pretty good money, and the backlash wouldn't be that huge..
3. Leann Hunley- not contract, so she's not hurting the salary..But she should be written out with Tony.
4. Bryan Datillo- He's been a great asset to the show for years, but he's really not needed anymore..Especially with James Scott, Eric Martsolf, and Galen Garing now on the show...Killing Lucas off when Alison Sweeney gets back from maternity leave would be a great idea and it could lead to Will's return..As i do think Will could be a potential love interest for Melanie..
5. Darin Brooks- Out of the younger group he's the least talented...And i really want Jay and Blake to stay over him..Sadly that probably won't happen...Ideally, i want Phillip and Stephanie..And a Nick, Melanie, and Chelsea storyline...
6. Shawn Christian- I'm sure he's not expensive, but his character has been a dud since the beginning..Plus we've had enough medical stories this year that i would be fine not having any for a long time..
7. Stephen Nichols- With John and Marlena leaving, i hope we don't have to lose Patch and Kayla right now as well...I would actually like them to split the year..Have Drake and Deidre offscreen and contract the first half..Then bring them back in the summer and take Stephen and Mary Beth off contract during the last half....but they aren't using Steve and Kayla and have paid them not to work this whole last half of the year..What a waste of money....Either use them or can them..
8. Mary Beth Evans- same as above...
9. Nadia B.- I'm torn over this one..On one aspect i like Chloe and they could use her with Brady even after writing Lucas out..But a Sami, Nicole, Ej, and Brady storyline would be sufficient enough..I wouldn't mind Nadia leaving if we could then keep Kate..

Who does that leave?

Bo, Hope
Abe, Lexie
Sami, Rafe, Nicole, EJ, and Brady
Nick, Melanie, Chelsea, Phillip (hopefully Jay stays), and Stephanie
Kate, Stefano (have these two interact)
Victor, Caroline, Maggie, Mickey, Doug and Julie
and if it could get worked out: Steve and Kayla the first half of the year, then John and Marlena the second half..
Edited by Kevc1980, Nov 19 2008, 07:11 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Stephen Nichols
Mary Beth Evans
Lauren Koslow
Thaao Penghlis
Josh Taylor
Shawn Christian
Bryan Dattilo
Nadia Bjorlin
Molly Burnett
Darin Brooks
Shelly Hennig
Eric Martsolf
Galen Gering
Edited by Mason, Nov 19 2008, 07:01 PM.

cassie1013

Hmm...Definitely:

Roman
Abe
Steve and Kayla (!!! if they wanted to axe vets, THIS is where you start people!)
Brady
Kate..hate to say it, but she definitely should have gone before the DH's.

I would keep Tony and Anna on recurring if possible, they are fun to have on the side but not their own story.. Otherwise, cut.

Darin Brooks probably but then they would have to keep Philip and Nick. Doesn't look like that's happening in the next little while.

I think EJ is boring and has become too over exposed. Would rather see Lumi written properly and get rid of EJ. DiMera story is defunct. I'm not even sure Stefano is relevant.
Edited by cassie1013, Nov 19 2008, 07:04 PM.

six
Member Avatar

I like your list KevC, but would add Galen Gering and take off Darrin Brooks.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

six
Nov 19 2008, 07:05 PM
Honestly, i would love to have Galen on there..He really wasn't needed in the first place..But they aren't going to fire him now...He was just hired and they probably knew about this potential budget crisis, so he's shouldn't be getting paid too much...
Edited by Kevc1980, Nov 19 2008, 07:09 PM.

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

My choices:

1.Ken Corday (Wishful thinking).
2.Roman,sorry Josh,but you don't do anything.
3.Tony and Anna,(Put them on recurring).
4.Dr.Dan,the point of him is what now?
5.Kate,up till recently she wasn't doing much and eventually she probably go back to not doing much.
6.Nick.
7.Melanie.
8.Chelsea.
9.Stephanie.
10.Sami,she just bugs the everloving crap out of me.

Sariah
Member Avatar

Roman. JT should have been fired YEARS ago.
Lexie and Abe
Steve and Kayla
Stephanie
Melanie
Max
Dr. Daniel

six
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
Nov 19 2008, 07:09 PM
six
Nov 19 2008, 07:05 PM
Honestly, i would love to have Galen on there..He really wasn't needed in the first place..But they aren't going to fire him now...He was just hired and they probably knew about this potential budget crisis, so he's shouldn't be getting paid too much...
Yea, you have a point there. He just seems like dead weight right now though. Maybe he'll show more potential when he's interacting with the rest of the cast.

I hate to say it, but maybe JM should go. The writers don't seem interested in giving him anything to do.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Josh Taylor
James Reynolds
Shawn Christian
Nadia Bjorlin
Thaao Penghlis
Leann Hunley
Darin Brooks

MaterialGurl
Member Avatar

Stephen Nichols
Mary Beth Evans
Thaao Penghlis
Josh Taylor
Shawn Christian
Nadia Bjorlin
Molly Burnett
Darin Brooks
Shelly Hennig
Eric Martsolf
Galen Gering
Edited by MaterialGurl, Nov 19 2008, 07:39 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Taking into account salaries and what would make the most sense for the show and finances (along with being objective), my picks would be many of the same here:

Josh Taylor (at least drop him to recurring)
Leann Hunley
Thaoo Penghlis
Lauren Koslow (love her but gotta do what you gotta do)
Bryan Dattilo or Shawn Christian (they won't let them both go but I have a feeling Shawn goes on his own anyway)
Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans (or do what Kev proposed somehow and maybe only guarantee them a certain amount of appearances per year and that's it, could do that for Drake and Dee too)
Joe Mascolo (let him finish his contract next year and go out in a blaze of glory)
Maybe drop Jim Reynolds to recurring if you must.

I know people keep mentioning newcomers and the young cast but that will barely help the bottom line. That and your getting rid of people who you need to build stories around. I mean, if you are proposing limited appearances by some of the vets, someone has to fill that airtime and the younger actors fit the bill.

Darin Brooks is probably the only one I can agree with as far as going but that is providing you keep Jay and Blake. Galen Gering they could get rid of too, despite just firing him. No loss there.

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Stephen and Mary Beth
Darin Brooks
Molly Burnett
Bryan Dattillo
Josh Taylor
Nadia Bjorlin

I have a bad feeling that Lauren Koslow is on the way out. If that's the case, they can get rid of Shawn Christian.

If they aren't already, put Leann and Thaao on recurring.

mesagirl
Member Avatar

Roman
Stefano (Rolf can go with him too) - he's not scary anymore, done everything bad to everyone already, it's time for a new villian
Sami - so sick of this character now, she needs to go poof
Dan
Abe
Chelsea
Caroline

Ponz
Member Avatar

Definitely axe:

Shawn Christian
Nadia Bjorlin
Galen Gering
Josh Taylor
Renee Jones
Lauren Koslow (I'd rather keep her but it's an economic no-brainer)

Use them or lose them:

Thaao Penghlis (LH included)
Joe Mascolo
Stephen Nichols
Mary Beth Evans

I'd happily axe most of the younger set but that wouldn't put much of a dent in the budget.

Edited by Ponz, Nov 19 2008, 07:56 PM.

aimees76
Member Avatar

cassie1013
Nov 19 2008, 07:03 PM
Hmm...Definitely:

Roman
Abe
Steve and Kayla (!!! if they wanted to axe vets, THIS is where you start people!)
Brady
Kate..hate to say it, but she definitely should have gone before the DH's.

I would keep Tony and Anna on recurring if possible, they are fun to have on the side but not their own story.. Otherwise, cut.

Darin Brooks probably but then they would have to keep Philip and Nick. Doesn't look like that's happening in the next little while.

I think EJ is boring and has become too over exposed. Would rather see Lumi written properly and get rid of EJ. DiMera story is defunct. I'm not even sure Stefano is relevant.
I completely agree, although I love S&K, they aren't being used properly so ...

destinyrules
Member Avatar

Ummm, if I had my dream, Alison Sweeney, how many ways does NBC need to pay her? That in itself would cut some money out of the budget.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Sami
E.J
Lucas
Chloe
Kate
Roman
Tony
Stefano
Abe
Max
Stephanie
Daniel
Steve
Kayla
Quote Post Goto Top

Ponz
Member Avatar

argh. double post.
Edited by Ponz, Nov 19 2008, 07:56 PM.

six
Member Avatar

Some of you folks have weird lists. Getting rid of all or almost all of the younger, established, popular cast would be suicide. There's no denying that JS, AS, RM, etc. have a good amount of fans, and have to come cheaper than the DH's did.

jimmyk311

It's just like what a poster said on an another soap blog that the fans just have to be "realistic" about this whole thing because all these vets in daytime should be lucky that the execs are allowing them to stay or still be on a soap for so long now and being able to still get paid the money they're getting (despite pay cuts.)

But now, things are changing so much so in daytime that if we, as fans, of this genre want to see it survive, then I prefer having any high cost vets replaced by a newer or cheaper actor.

I like said many times before, the online soap fans and the industry itself live too much off the golden age of soaps in the 1980's through the 1990's that the industry quit evolving.

Now, the beginning of the end of daytime genre is slowly happening. Will there be soaps on the air in a couple of years from now? Maybe in someway, but not the way they're doing them now...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply