Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: Who would you cut?
Topic Started: Nov 19 2008, 06:48 PM (2,648 Views)
destinyrules
Member Avatar

six
Nov 19 2008, 08:04 PM
Some of you folks have weird lists. Getting rid of all or almost all of the younger, established, popular cast would be suicide. There's no denying that JS, AS, RM, etc. have a good amount of fans, and have to come cheaper than the DH's did.
I'm being realistic, I just don't like Ali, but I know she has fans. However, I think most of us would choose someone else to go on the block with the axe rather than have our faves there... Oh wait, mine already are.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

Leann's already on recurring. All they have to do is just stop calling her in.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

If I were in charge of Days of our Lives, I would cut the following, along with Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn, because personally, I think that's a smart move.

1. Deidre Hall - Smart move. She probably makes the most out of any other cast member. They're not writing for Marlena, and when they do, the writing is horrible. It's a waste to have her talent be wasted.

2. Drake Hogestyn - While I was happy he came back earlier this year, after seeing the horrible story he's been involved in this year, I wish they would've kept him dead. Like Hall, the writers can't seem to write a decent storyline for him. They don't seem committed, and it's hurting the character. I'm sure he took a paycut when he returned earlier this year, but he probably still has a big salary. Like Hall, it's a smart decision, financially.

3. Shawn Chistian - He's new to the cast, and the character hasn't had that big of an impact that he'll be missed if he's no longer involved in storylines. Daniel is not a character that's needed right now.

4. Galen Gerring - We have enough established characters that need work on before you should go and start creating new characters, that will need help being developed. I would continue to use Gerring as Rafe until Sweeney really leaves for her maternity leave. At that point, I would end the safe house storyline, or at least, end us watching it. Maybe have Sami moved to another safehouse in another town because the killer has found her. That would get Sweeney off the show, and Gerring could be released because he's clearly not needed.

5. Lauren Koslow - After this cancer storyline, do you honestly think that she's going to get a real storyline other than interferring with her children's lives? No way! They can go about writing Kate off two ways. One way is to have Kate go into remission and be cancer free. Daniel and Kate have fallen in love through this ordeal and Daniel gets a job offer at another hospital to do research, and Kate decides to follow him so they can stay together. The second option is to kill Kate off. It would be such a major blow to her children. It could help strengthen Lucas and Chloe's romance because Chloe would be there for Lucas. It would give meaning for their romance, almost. It could also do wonders for Philip and Stephanie's potential love. You could have Philip, upset over his mother's death, turn to a dark place, much like Victor used to be, and you would have Stephanie there to bring him back to the light. I would kill her off if I was writing.

6. Thaao Penghlis - He's not needed, and hasn't been needed since the Andre storyline ended. What are the purpose of he and Leann Hunley staying on the show and getting paid for nothing? Penghlis gets a salary, while Hunley gets paid to make recurring apparences where she just stands there and gives advice or adds a few one liners. And recently, she hasn't even been doing that. I can't even remember the last time we saw Anna. Was it during the DiMera dinner party when Stefano confronted Marlena? I think so. Have Tony and Anna travel around the world.

7. Josh Taylor - His exit has been so many years late. Like Kate, they're never going to write an actual storyline for Roman. What's the point of keeping him? With John and Marlena gone, he really has nothing to do besides be Sami's father and a cop. Sami's a very established character that doesn't need her parents in town to continue to be on the show. And Bo and Hope are cops, so Roman's not needed. He's not even commissioner. Why is he still here? I say kill Roman off in the line of duty or something.

Those seven right there would have to lighten the budget because I'm sure all seven of them are getting paid big bucks. Christian couldn't have been cheap give his popularity in daytime. Gerring was the star of PSNS for it's entire 9 years. He can't be cheap either. Hall, Hogestyn, Koslow, Penghlis and Taylor are all vets. They have to be making a pretty penny.

I don't think anyone else would need to leave.

Bo and Hope are needed because they're popular characters, and if they're not going to given a storyline, they can always fulfil their roles as the town cops.

I would keep all of the younger actors. Max, Chelsea, Nick, Stephanie and Melanie can stay. I wouldn't even go for a triangle between Nick, Chelsea and Melanie. I would move Melanie out of their orbit. I would have Chelsea be the one that brings Nick back to sanity, with the help of a psychiatrist. Nick and Chelsea would then be a couple. Stephanie would be involved with Philip. That leaves Max and Melanie. I would bring back two characters with history on the show for these two. For Max, of course, I would bring back the character of Abby. She's quite connected on the show, and she's a Horton. If we can't get Ashley Benson back, recast the role with a newbie that's cheap. For Melanie, I would bring back Will. Both of his parents are still on the show, and with John and Marlena leaving the show, and I would also have Roman leave the show, then Sami needs some family and it would be great to have her son back. I would have him return as a 16 year old that gets involved with older Melanie and she gets him into some trouble.

I'm a Lucas and Chloe fan, so I would continue their romance and keep both Bryan Dattilo and Nadia Bjorlin on the cast.

When I first heard that Hall and Hogestyn were fired, my first thought was, 'How do Mary Beth Evans and Stephen Nichols still have jobs?' But after thinking about it, I would actually keep Evans and Nichols over Hall and Hogestyn. Both actors are cheaper than Hall and Hogestyn. And there are storyline potentials still for both. I would totally involve them and Victor into Philip and Stephanie's potential romance storyline. That's just history gold right there.

Of course I would keep Jay Kenneth Johnson. He's Philip, and he has potential to be an ultimate villain, just like his daddy!

I would keep Renee Jones, Joseph Mascolo and James Reynolds, definitely. I've fallen in love with the autism storyline, and I love the little actor playing Theo. It's been awesome seeing Abe and Lexie in a real storyline. And while, at first, I was thinking that Mascolo should go with Hall and Hogestyn gone, I would keep him as Stefano and involve him in Abe and Lexie's story. That could be the conflict between the Carvers. No one wants to see Lexie cheat on Abe again. I would rather see Lexie's love for her father come in to play and be what creats tension in the Carver's marriage. And I want a damn Stefano and Theo scene, damn it!

I would keep Eric Martsolf as Brady. Unlike Gerring, Martsolf is playing a character that has ties to the show. That's needed. And Brady can continue to be involved with Nicole/EJ/Sami. I would keep him out of Lucas and Chloe's orbit.

Of course I'm going to keep Peggy McCay, Frances Reid and Suzanne Rogers. Not even a though to get rid of these three ever entered my mind. I wouldn't drop them to recurring either. I would actually use them as much as I could since they're on a salary and I don't want to waste their talent, meaning wasting money.

James Scott, Alison Sweeney and Arianne Zucker would be safe. I would continue the triangle with Brady involved. EJ and Sami would be the end game couple, while Nicole is the roadblock, and Brady gets caught up in Nicole's deception, all while falling in love with her and wanting her to see that he's available and EJ isn't all that.

So this would be my contract cast list after I'm all done.

Kristian Alfonso - Hope Brady
Blake Berris - Nick Fallon
Nadia Bjorlin - Chloe Lane
Darin Brooks - Max Brady
Molly Burnett - Melanie Layton
Bryan Dattilo - Lucas Roberts
Mary Beth Evans - Kayla Johnson
Shelley Henning - Stephanie Johnson
Jay Kenneth Johnson - Philip Kiriakis
Renee Jones - Lexie Carver
Eric Martsolf - Brady Black
Joseph Mascolo - Stefano DiMera
Peggy McCay - Caroline Brady
Rachel Melvin - Chelsea Brady
Stephen Nichols - Steve Johnson
Peter Reckell - Bo Brady
Frances Reid - Alice Horton
James Reynolds - Abe Carver
Suzanne Rogers - Maggie Horton
James Scott - EJ DiMera
Alison Sweeney - Sami Brady
Arianne Zucker - Nicole Walker

And two actors to be named to play Abby Deveraux and Will Roberts.
Edited by DrewHamilton, Nov 19 2008, 10:45 PM.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

^Wow Drew, you might want to put a little thought into your cast cuttings and who you would keep. Not just throw names out willy nilly.

(Just teasing!)

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

^ LOL! Well, a lot of the people I would choose are people that fans want gone, and I wanted to explain their importance to storylines and why I would keep them. When it's all said and done, my contact cast is only 24. That's not bad at all.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Drew, that is a fantastic, well thought out post. I agree and I think your right. The people you suggested would be enough, I would think, to help the budget. I hate what has happened to Drake and Dee but it does make financial sense.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

After thinking about this for a while, I would actually risk tomatoes being thrown at me, and I would drop Suzanne Rogers, Peggy McCay and Frances Reid to recurring status.

*hides from fruits, vegtables, death notes, etc.*

Honestly, they're not going to be used. And they appear as much as recurring stars as it is. I would only pay them when needed. No more sitting on the sidelines except for holidays and when characters need advice. They can be paid per apparence for things like that.

That cuts my cast list down to 21. Now, who says I can't micromanage a cast?! :lol:

Mason

I probably wouldn't do it but I could understand putting Peggy McCay on recurring.

I wouldn't cut Suzanne down to recurring if for no other reason than because doesn't she need to be on contract in order for her insurance to cover medication or something like that?

zyona

Nadia Bjorlin - Chloe Lane
Darin Brooks - Max Brady
Molly Burnett - Melanie Layton
Bryan Dattilo - Lucas Roberts
Shelley Henning - Stephanie Johnson
Alison Sweeney - Sami Brady (long maternity leave)
Lauren Koslow- Kate Roberts

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

^ That's right, Mason. Unforunately, if I were in charge of DAYS, I would have a business to run, and I can't take into effect these personal things because every actor you cut could use that excuse. How do we know Josh Taylor doesn't need the medical insurance? Everyone's real quick to get rid of him without thinking about him losing insurance.

I feel bad for Rogers, but she's had to have saved up a lot of money from her time on DAYS, I think she'll be well off into retirment.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Well, first I wouldn't have cut the DHs. That said, now that they are gone, I would then cut Josh Taylor, Kate Roberts, Renee Jones, James Reynolds, Thaao Penghlis, Joseph Mascolo, Leann Hunley, Marybeth Evans, Stephen Nichols, Bryan Dattilo, Shelley Henning, Darin Brooks, Molly Burnett, Blake Berris, Suzanne Rogers, the guy that plays Mickey (can't think of his name), Shawn Christian, Jay Johnson.

Then it can be Bo & Hope & Chelsea & Caroline Brady, and Brady niece Sami and all Sami's foes and lovers. It can finally be the official Sami Show. Who am I kidding, Josh Taylor will never be cut, so he can do all the police work in town and Sami can go cry on his shoulder. Brady Black can be another of Sami's men. She and Nicole can fight over all the men left in town.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Oh, and Nadia can stay too. She and Nicole can be Sami's foes.

I'm just glad I won't be watching any of this after the DH's leave.

Mason

DrewHamilton
Nov 19 2008, 10:56 PM
How do we know Josh Taylor doesn't need the medical insurance? Everyone's real quick to get rid of him without thinking about him losing insurance.
Paying for his botox treatments doesn't count, LoL.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Mason
Nov 19 2008, 11:02 PM
DrewHamilton
How do we know Josh Taylor doesn't need the medical insurance? Everyone's real quick to get rid of him without thinking about him losing insurance.
Paying for his botox treatments doesn't count, LoL.
:hail:

KittyKat
Member Avatar

Molly(Melanie),
Shelley(Stephanie),
Shawn(Dr. Dan),
Marybeth(Kayla),
Stephen(Patch),
Nadia(Chloe),
Josh(Roman),
Galen(Rafe),
:wave:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
^ That's right, Mason. Unforunately, if I were in charge of DAYS, I would have a business to run, and I can't take into effect these personal things because every actor you cut could use that excuse. How do we know Josh Taylor doesn't need the medical insurance? Everyone's real quick to get rid of him without thinking about him losing insurance.

I feel bad for Rogers, but she's had to have saved up a lot of money from her time on DAYS, I think she'll be well off into retirment.
I do agree with you. However, I do think vets like Suzanne and Peggy only are guaranteed a certain amount of appearances so I don't think their contracts hurt the budget much, if at all. Their contracts are merely paper to make sure the show holds up to their end of he bargain as far as them getting the set number of appearances. It's basically recurring with a piece of paper.

Since both have contracts up next year, they will probably cut down their promised appearances. Just look at the numbers the last few years and Peggy and Suzanne usually get around 50-60 overall. That may be cut down to about 30. Not to mention both would probably take salary cuts to just to stay on board. I heard Peggy did that in 2004 when she returned during Melaswen. She took a pay cut. She just wanted to remain on contract. I suspect Suzanne is the same way.

You have a point though. We don't know what everyone's situations is and, while I understand the loyalty argument, this is a business. I was promoted to upper management earlier this year at the company I work for. I didn't want it because I can't stand hiring and firing, which is part of my job now. I get to be the fall guy for the higher ups and I also have to help balance a budget. Do you know how many people I had to lay off that had worked there for at least a decade? Some even for over 25 years. I had no choice and I had to put my feelings aside because there are others working at the company too and if we don't cut, the whole business could go under, especially now with the economy. Some I had to force pay cuts on and pretty much everyone took it. We had to negotiate but people valued their job and realized they had no choice.

Was there mismanagement by the higher ups? Sure. However, the situation is what it is. I know Corday is a screwup but the man is also human. We all make mistakes. Does that absolve him from everything? No. It doesn't. However, I can guarantee anyone in his position will make at least a few mistakes. Bosses in all forms of life do. I've made mistakes. It happens. I know we all have our favorites and those who are angry have a right to be but preferential treatment and loyalty kind of have to go out the window now. Regardless of how the show got to this point, it happened and the show is still doing reasonably ok as it's the only soap up this year in most numbers right now. It also still has many fans that will still tune in after D&D leave. Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn are NOT Days of our lives. No one is. They ALL are. It's a team. Always has been. When someone leaves, the others pick up the slack. It was that way in the 80's and in the 90's. You know how many times I saw characters or couples leave in the past 2 decades or more and feared for the show? The show made it through before and it can again. Does it mean it will this time? No. Nothing is certain but, if you think about it, J&M have been more off then on the past few years and it really did not impact the ratings at all. In the past two months, we've barely seen any vets and yet the show has either stayed the same in HH or gone up in demos. Doesn't mean it can't fail but the show has reasonable facts to back up doing this.

I hate that they did it. I really do. However, I can see the sense in it.

darraholic
Member Avatar
Pennsatucky

Cut:

Josh Taylor (Roman)
Shawn Christian (Daniel)
Lauren Koslow (Kate)
Darrin Brooks (Max)
Galen Gerring (Rafe)
Bryan Dattilo (Lucas)
Mary Beth Evans (Kayla)
Stephen Nichols (Steve)
Molly Burnett (Melanie) I'd maybe keep her if she was used way less.
Joesph Mascolo (Stefano) I'd keep him if the writers wrote a much better storyline.

Put on Reccuring:
Thaao Penghlis (Tony)
James Reynolds (Abe)
Peggy McCay (Caroline)

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar
Shove your crappy show where the sun don't shine, Corday!

Rachel Melvin
Alison Sweeney

Lauren Koslow
Blake Berris
Arianne Zuker
Josh Taylor

six
Member Avatar

destinyrules
Nov 19 2008, 09:07 PM
six
Nov 19 2008, 08:04 PM
Some of you folks have weird lists. Getting rid of all or almost all of the younger, established, popular cast would be suicide. There's no denying that JS, AS, RM, etc. have a good amount of fans, and have to come cheaper than the DH's did.
I'm being realistic, I just don't like Ali, but I know she has fans. However, I think most of us would choose someone else to go on the block with the axe rather than have our faves there... Oh wait, mine already are.
Of course, unless it's our faves going, or the show not having enough money to go on. I've been a jarlena fan for over a decade, and was looking forward to seeing them reunite, interact with Brady etc. but if they're too expensive, they're too expensive. I'm not just watching for a couple of characters though (not saying you are, but a lot of fans are).

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

oh this is easy. i would cut:

sami, daniel, melanie, roman, kate, lucas, chloe, rafe, abe, lexie and max.

i don't think cutting sweeney would be suicide for the show. as vocal as her fans can be, many, many people are sick of her. hogan ruined her when he made her into the show's new heroine, and seeing a thirty-something woman whining and crying, and making the same bad decisions she made as a teenager isn't all that interesting to most fans, i wouldn't think. JMO.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply