Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Peter and Kristian take Pay Cut, Jay Back?
Topic Started: Nov 19 2008, 08:10 PM (4,089 Views)
Paul8148

http://www.daytimeconfidential.com/2008/11/breaking-news-jay-kenneth-johnson-back-on-days-peter-and-kristian-accept-massive-pay-cut

Quote:

This just in. A source close to the set of Days of Our Lives says news of Jay Kenneth Johnson (Philip) leaving the sudser has proven premature.

"Jay is back!" says the source. "It was all just a stupid misunderstanding."

The source also reveals Peter Reckell (Bo) and Kristian Alfonso (Hope) agreed to take massive pay cuts.

"And good for them!" says the source. "It says a lot about Peter and Kristian for them to do that. It says that they are team players and want the show to succeed."

Even more top tier Days actors are being asked to take substantial cuts as well. Keep checking back to Daytime Confidential as this story develops

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MaterialGurl
Member Avatar

Thats great about Peter and Kristian, Jay ;) Did they even offer Deidre or Drake a paycut?

e83talus
Member Avatar

Paul8148
Nov 19 2008, 08:10 PM
http://www.daytimeconfidential.com/2008/11/breaking-news-jay-kenneth-johnson-back-on-days-peter-and-kristian-accept-massive-pay-cut

Quote:

This just in. A source close to the set of Days of Our Lives says news of Jay Kenneth Johnson (Philip) leaving the sudser has proven premature.

"Jay is back!" says the source. "It was all just a stupid misunderstanding."

The source also reveals Peter Reckell (Bo) and Kristian Alfonso (Hope) agreed to take massive pay cuts.

"And good for them!" says the source. "It says a lot about Peter and Kristian for them to do that. It says that they are team players and want the show to succeed."

Even more top tier Days actors are being asked to take substantial cuts as well. Keep checking back to Daytime Confidential as this story develops

This sounds like strategy to me:

Lets fire the top two to send the message to otheres that everyone is at risk.
Have others get scared and fall in line will massive contract cuts, then
Call back the big two stars!

I am still done with Days!

shayera

That's what I asked earlier today?

Did he go to them and tell Drake and Dee about the whole money problem??
I would have first asked if I could take them off the show for about 6 months then bring them back.
No? Then, would they take a pay cut?
No? Then would they go reoccurring just until the finances and ratings started improving.

3 options I mentioned. And yet nothing in all the news about any of these. Just, your fired!

Ellie

MaterialGurl
Nov 19 2008, 08:21 PM
Thats great about Peter and Kristian, Jay ;) Did they even offer Deidre or Drake a paycut?
Let's put it this way - when both have taken paycuts in the past, and when Drake tells his fanclub president that Ken Corday called him at home to tell him that his services were no longer needed, and when Deidre has said, oh, about 400 times that she'll be at Days till it's off the air - I think we can conclude that the answer is no.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Man, I hope this is true. Jay is needed big time.

As for Peter and Kristian, does not surprise me. They both seem happy and have other things going on so I think they would be ok with not working as much, if that is the case.

I'm happy they are sticking around. This does tie in with what Corday said. I'm not going to get into whether it's right or wrong but Corday seemed like he wanted to keep as many as possible, providing they agree to a cut. This proves that. This may not be as bad as we thought, as far as cast is concerned (I know, here I am being optimistic again LOL).

LovingDays

Yessssssssssssssssssss im so happy finally they make a great decision

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Nov 19 2008, 08:24 PM
MaterialGurl
Let's put it this way - when both have taken paycuts in the past, and when Drake tells his fanclub president that Ken Corday called him at home to tell him that his services were no longer needed, and when Deidre has said, oh, about 400 times that she'll be at Days till it's off the air - I think we can conclude that the answer is no.
He may have mentioned it to them before last weekend or they may have at least talked about it.

Maybe he was told to get rid of one supercouple. I'm not excusing Corday or the show but we don't know what is being said. Sure, we have our theories but there isn't enough detail out there to suggest one way or the other, really.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

I love the implication that people who might feel they're worth more than Corday is willing to pay are being characterized as non-team players who don't care about the good of the show. People who don't want to take a pay cut aren't necessarily greedy pigs who don't know the meaning of the word "loyalty." And of course, the actors were not the ones making dumb financial decisions but they're the ones paying the price, although of course part of it simply that soaps just aren't lucrative these days.
Edited by Paxton, Nov 19 2008, 08:33 PM.

e83talus
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Nov 19 2008, 08:28 PM
Ellie
MaterialGurl
He may have mentioned it to them before last weekend or they may have at least talked about it.

Maybe he was told to get rid of one supercouple. I'm not excusing Corday or the show but we don't know what is being said. Sure, we have our theories but there isn't enough detail out there to suggest one way or the other, really.
No there isn't Pheonix, But when a proven liar makes vague statements, my brain just seems to kick in and says all is not what is seems here. Nothing the Ken has said in say the last 7 to 10 years has been true. Excuse me for not giving him the benefit of the doubt. Some just get tired of the double, back and mis-talk!

Trust me, it is not a mistake that two top people get fired and all else just agree to what ever management wants. I am a part of executive management and this is strategy! Its called scare tactics!

Ives
Member Avatar

I am sooooo glad JKJ is staying. I think he and Blake are the definite keepers from the younger set. Has anyone seen any official word on Blake? I know his "last day" was posted by someone at SoapCentral that I don't often see posting spoilers.

Too bad about the massive paycut for Peter and Kristian, but I am really happy to see them staying.

At the end of the day, I am sure the crew will be hurt worse than the actors with all of the cuts. And I had the impression that they were already on a shoe string.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

e83talus
Nov 19 2008, 08:35 PM
PhoenixRising05
Ellie
MaterialGurl

No there isn't Pheonix, But when a proven liar makes vague statements, my brain just seems to kick in and says all is not what is seems here. Nothing the Ken has said in say the last 7 to 10 years has been true. Excuse me for not giving him the benefit of the doubt. Some just get tired of the double, back and mis-talk!

Trust me, it is not a mistake that two top people get fired and all else just agree to what ever management wants. I am a part of executive management and this is strategy! Its called scare tactics!
And you very well could be right.

I don't like Corday either. The guy is a incompetent, lying asshole. However, he is also human and I also don't think he is that stupid not to at least mention the same sort of pay cut to Drake and Dee before axing them. The only way I can see him not even discussing it with them is if he was told they had to go and he had no wiggle room. Yes, it's his show but, as I said, he caves to influence. He caves to pressure so, when backed into a corner, he may have went ahead with it.

All I'm saying is no one knows. Not saying anyone is right or wrong.

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Well, if KA and PR took massive pay cuts and agreed to stay...I hope they actually give them a storyline and no more "we can only accord to use them once a week" nonsense.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Well, I think they will at least be used in supporting roles.

Higley has always liked them and it seems every writer at least uses them. Maybe we won't see them five days a week but I think they will be active.

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

PhoenixRising05
Nov 19 2008, 08:41 PM
^Well, I think they will at least be used in supporting roles.

Higley has always liked them and it seems every writer at least uses them. Maybe we won't see them five days a week but I think they will be active.
They can be on two or three days for all I care, but they should at least have their own story....while "propping up and supporting" the next generation.

hops
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Nov 19 2008, 08:38 PM
e83talus
Nov 19 2008, 08:35 PM
PhoenixRising05
Ellie
MaterialGurl

And you very well could be right.

I don't like Corday either. The guy is a incompetent, lying asshole. However, he is also human and I also don't think he is that stupid not to at least mention the same sort of pay cut to Drake and Dee before axing them. The only way I can see him not even discussing it with them is if he was told they had to go and he had no wiggle room. Yes, it's his show but, as I said, he caves to influence. He caves to pressure so, when backed into a corner, he may have went ahead with it.

All I'm saying is no one knows. Not saying anyone is right or wrong.
I don't think Drake or Deidre were given the option, because if they had been, they wouldn't have been 'fired'. And I do think someone knows.... some executives at NBC know.
Edited by hops, Nov 19 2008, 08:50 PM.

KittyKat
Member Avatar

This all seems like a set up. I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I'm a fan of JKJ but the show still sucks ass.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Very happy to see that JKJ is staying since they seem to be building Steph and Phillip. This show doesn't need another dropped storyline and if Phillip was recasted, no way could Shelly Hennig carry a story.
Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I wonder what news I'll wake up to tomorrow? I'm to the point where I'll just judge based on what I see on my screen. I'm amazed any of us believes anything coming from the media at this point about this show. I'm just wondering what some comments would be if roles were reversed and Peter and Kristian were in the Dee and Drake positions, and vice versa. :huh:

By the way, folks, highly intriguing article here:

Yes, I understand how some of you feel about Sara Bibel, but, it is still interesting.....

I wonder what the JKJ "misunderstanding" was?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

ladyofthelake
Nov 19 2008, 08:58 PM

I wonder what the JKJ "misunderstanding" was?
Heh, probably that they "misunderstood" the difficulty in recasting for the role. ;)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply