Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
what would it take to get Deidre back on the show?
Topic Started: Nov 20 2008, 03:29 AM (2,317 Views)
hops
Member Avatar

Drew
Nov 23 2008, 01:01 AM
Sending in bed linnens for fictional characters to have sex on for one thing
Oh scary! It was a symbol for a fresh start, but I guess that isn't as interesting. And as if J&M fans are the only fans to every send things into the studio. Some fanbase sent in underwear recently. Ellie, which fanbase was that?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

hops
Nov 23 2008, 01:08 AM
Drew
Oh scary! It was a symbol for a fresh start, but I guess that isn't as interesting. And as if J&M fans are the only fans to every send things into the studio. Some fanbase sent in underwear recently. Ellie, which fanbase was that?
lol!! Here it is, word for word from the SOD Insider of October 23rd:

Uh, yeah, so Friday morning I'm watching GL at my desk when the mail arrives and I received a very unusual item from Courtney in Fort Wayne, IN. She's a fan of Y&R's Lily and Cane. How big a fan, you ask? She writes that she's, "Dropping my panties for Daytime's Hottest Couple!" Yes, this Y&R devotee literally dropped drawers into the mail. The size 6 aqua undies were embellished with a Tootsie Pop as part of the "Lollies and Lingerie for Lane!" drive. A few days later, I received coral Fruit of the Loom unmentionables from another fan, Carolyn of Desoto. TX. She wrote the duo's name with a felt marker on the back of the bottoms and included some lollypops. Beth of Cincinnati, OH didn't drop trou, but she did send lollies, noting, "I'm a sucker for Lane! I love Lily and Cane as well as their portrayers, Christel Khalil and Daniel Goddard."
Edited by Ellie, Nov 23 2008, 01:15 AM.

hops
Member Avatar

Ellie
Nov 23 2008, 01:11 AM
hops
Drew

Uh, yeah, so Friday morning I'm watching GL at my desk when the mail arrives and I received a very unusual item from Courtney in Fort Wayne, IN. She's a fan of Y&R's Lily and Cane. How big a fan, you ask? She writes that she's, "Dropping my panties for Daytime's Hottest Couple!" Yes, this Y&R devotee literally dropped drawers into the mail. The size 6 aqua undies were embellished with a Tootsie Pop as part of the "Lollies and Lingerie for Lane!" drive. A few days later, I received coral Fruit of the Loom unmentionables from another fan, Carolyn of Desoto. TX. She wrote the duo's name with a felt marker on the back of the bottoms and included some lollypops. Beth of Cincinnati, OH didn't drop trou, but she did send lollies, noting, "I'm a sucker for Lane! I love Lily and Cane as well as their portrayers, Christel Khalil and Daniel Goddard."
Thanks, lol. I guess since it was fans of Y&R it wasn't such a big deal ;)

Ellie

hops
Nov 23 2008, 01:14 AM
Ellie
hops
Drew

Yeah maybe we should hope she wouldn't go there. Those campaigns are really out of our league.
Edited by Ellie, Nov 23 2008, 01:18 AM.

hops
Member Avatar

Ellie
Nov 23 2008, 01:17 AM
hops
Ellie
hops
Drew

Yeah maybe we should hope she wouldn't go there. Those campaigns are really out of our league.
Seriously. :P

Deleted User
Deleted User

Well see you just proved why. You can't let things go.
Quote Post Goto Top

Jiggs
Member Avatar

hops
Ellie
hops
Drew

Oh, I'm sure Y&R won't put up with that!!! :eyeroll:

Ellie

Amello
Nov 23 2008, 01:28 AM
What?? If you read back in the thread, Drew made a comment about Deidre's fans and Drew brought up the bed sheets campaign.

hops
Member Avatar

Amello
Neither Ellie or I brought up anything. We responded to an insult. :shrug:

Edited by hops, Nov 23 2008, 01:37 AM.

e83talus
Member Avatar

Ellie
Nov 23 2008, 01:30 AM
Amello
What?? If you read back in the thread, Drew made a comment about Deidre's fans and Drew brought up the bed sheets campaign.
Ellie and Hops you know you are just a part of that Rabid fanbase that demands to see their favorite characters more by doing crazy things like writing and faxing in. You also like to do over the top things like defend Dee or J&M on message boards. Can't you just accept that Dee a 30 year vet must bow to the strong talent and massive following of Melanie and Chelsea. LOL

Kenny
Member Avatar

Alright guys, lets keep this civil.

Please and thank you. :)

It's really not fair to single one fanbase out, but I think I understand (partially) what Drew was saying. Y&R isn't the type of show that typically deals with the fanbase wars like Days does, mainly because it rarely structures its storylines to stoke that sort of fire. Many Days fanbases refuse to watch the show unless their favorites are on, and that's fine. If you're not interested in the show outside of your favorite (Lord knows I'm not), that's perfectly understandable. Better writing to make the entire show compelling would fix that. But Y&R isn't the type of show that's going to put a certain person on the screen everyday just to appease the fanbase of one actor. By the way, this doesn't just apply to Deidre fans -- it could be ANY popular Days star. Also, this isn't to suggest that ALL fans of a certain actor/actress/couple expect to see their favorite on everyday, either. For example, I know that Ellie is a huge Deidre fan, but I've never once heard her say that Deidre should be on every single day and I'm also pretty sure that she's watched the show even on Deidre-less days. I think that the more radical fans just tend to have a louder voice, causing many people to feel as if they speak for the entire fanbase, when in fact they don't.

e83talus
Member Avatar

Kenny
Nov 23 2008, 06:29 AM

It's really not fair to single one fanbase out, but I think I understand (partially) what Drew was saying. Y&R isn't the type of show that typically deals with the fanbase wars like Days does, mainly because it rarely structures its storylines to stoke that sort of fire. Many Days fanbases refuse to watch the show unless their favorites are on, and that's fine. If you're not interested in the show outside of your favorite (Lord knows I'm not), that's perfectly understandable. Better writing to make the entire show compelling would fix that. But Y&R isn't the type of show that's going to put a certain person on the screen everyday just to appease the fanbase of one actor. By the way, this doesn't just apply to Deidre fans -- it could be ANY popular Days star. Also, this isn't to suggest that ALL fans of a certain actor/actress/couple expect to see their favorite on everyday, either. For example, I know that Ellie is a huge Deidre fan, but I've never once heard her say that Deidre should be on every single day and I'm also pretty sure that she's watched the show even on Deidre-less days. I think that the more radical fans just tend to have a louder voice, causing many people to feel as if they speak for the entire fanbase, when in fact they don't.
Kenny,

I agree with what you are saying, which goes to the point of the writing for Days. I don't think J&M fans want our favs on daily or even the majority of the time but if we get something good we would be happy. Our couple has not been together in over a year and no matter what others may think they have each been written woefully out of character during that time. I am a J&M fan but after the olympics when Days was getting ready fo Tony and EJ to take on Stefano and/or John for control of the Dimera fortune, I was game for that s/l which had nothing to do with my fav couple. I found the plot interesting and would have saty tuned. Then two weeks went by and nothing.

I remember back in April and May, I was interested in Ejami for the first time ever, then Lucas came home and we were thrown back ino the never ending triangle that was Ejami v. Lumi and I wanted to gauge my eyes and ears out. Days has a writing and creative problem not an actor/actress/fanbase problem. Excuse J&M fans for wanting a good show (not just a g s/l with J&M but the entire sow was good), which we have not had since 2004!

This would be like the Coca Cola Company saying, "how dare the public not like the new coke after we have been giving them classic coke for over 50 years! Well screw the public we'll simply take classic coke off the market in an effort to force them to like the new coke." The idiots don't consider that we can switch altogether to Pepsi!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I just think it should be let go. We don't know for sure, but this might not be the best thing in the world for Dee Hall or DRAKE. Chapters ends, and new ones begin. (Remember, Drake is part of this cut, too. In many ways, I wish JKJ had gone ahead and walked.). And, I totally agree with Kenny. The reputation for rabid fanbases as far as Days is concerned is THERE, folks. For Dee, for James Scott, for Shelle, for Shimi, Phloe, Jack Deveraux, one that covers JUST the younger chicks (the beloved Terry)..........there are rabid fans. They've been there for years. Drake has been the brunt of their ire, and so has Lauren Koslow. Hard telling what kind of letters actors like Lauren, Farah Fath, Ari Zucker, and Bryan Datillo (and James Scott) have received because they dared break up a "meant to be" couple. Hard telling what kind of letters folks like Jason Cook and Drake got because they dared express interest in something OTHER than the "meant to be" couple.
Drew pointed out an example of what he (and I, personally) consider over-the-top behavior. There are many many others, but per Kenny's request, I'm not going to name them. I just don't get why they are being denied. They are THERE. Those actions happened. They are perceived as over-the-top by a lot of fans and writers who go on boards and who blog. J&M fans, as well as other fanbases.
That's not to say ALL fans of these actors (plus others) or characters are rabid. Unfortunately, the reputation for some fanbases makes it embarrassing for a lot of fans on boards to admit who they like, or they feel like they have to apologize to others because some rabid fans go overboard.
OK, Kenny, I'm sorry. That's all I have to say on the subject. (for now). Except for one other thing:
Fans of Dee....if you TRULY believe she is a marvelous actress and you TRULY believe in her, then why so negative? If the industry sees her as great as you do, you WILL see her again. So, is it Dee or MARLENA for whom you are mourning? If you love the actress, chances are, she'll show up again. I don't care what her age. If she is the draw you say she is, someone will snatch her up. It may not be soaps. It might be Lifetime movies, appearances on NBC shows, another network, talk shows.......but she WILL show up again! Wouldn't you rather see her somewhere where she is appreciated rather than with the storylines Days has thrown at her lately?
Edited by ladyofthelake, Nov 23 2008, 08:46 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kyrai

e83talus
Nov 23 2008, 07:28 AM
Kenny
Nov 23 2008, 06:29 AM

Kenny,

I agree with what you are saying, which goes to the point of the writing for Days. I don't think J&M fans want our favs on daily or even the majority of the time but if we get something good we would be happy. Our couple has not been together in over a year and no matter what others may think they have each been written woefully out of character during that time. I am a J&M fan but after the olympics when Days was getting ready fo Tony and EJ to take on Stefano and/or John for control of the Dimera fortune, I was game for that s/l which had nothing to do with my fav couple. I found the plot interesting and would have saty tuned. Then two weeks went by and nothing.

I remember back in April and May, I was interested in Ejami for the first time ever, then Lucas came home and we were thrown back ino the never ending triangle that was Ejami v. Lumi and I wanted to gauge my eyes and ears out. Days has a writing and creative problem not an actor/actress/fanbase problem. Excuse J&M fans for wanting a good show (not just a g s/l with J&M but the entire sow was good), which we have not had since 2004!

This would be like the Coca Cola Company saying, "how dare the public not like the new coke after we have been giving them classic coke for over 50 years! Well screw the public we'll simply take classic coke off the market in an effort to force them to like the new coke." The idiots don't consider that we can switch altogether to Pepsi!

Excellent post e83talus. I just want good stories! I would like John and Marlena used well whether they are core to a story or supporting a story. My favorite stories are balanced with the whole cast. I used to enjoy stories that didn't involve them much or at all because all the stories were interesting. It just hasn't been that way for me in a while. I'd hardly call me rabid.

And yeah, I may prefer classic coke, but I'm all for trying pepsi. Love that analogy. :)

Kenny
Member Avatar

We're not going to have fanbase wars and fingerpointing here. We're not SoapCity. Rude comments about other fans of the show will not be tolerated. Terry is the only exception. :)

We're all entitled to our opinions, but one of the few rules we have is that all posters must treat each other with respect. This goes for everyone. Nothing good will come of pointing fingers at other fanbases. Simply agree to disagree and move on.

This conversation is headed into a pretty unsavory direction, and if it continues, I'm going to close the thread.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Going back to what I originally was saying, Y&R wont pander to fanbases. They'll go for what works for the story first, and everything else is secondary. Otherwise, Phyllis and Jack would be together. Sharon and Brad would have been more than a flurtation, I'd think Gloria wouldnt have gone long before now unless I'm misreading that character's number of fans.

So, if Deidre does come to Y&R, as Barbara Anderson or someone new, certain tactics are going to be wasted on Y&R's higher ups. She wont be the star of the show, though being on Days for the last decade she's hopefully used to that. At anyrate, I'd still like her to come on, but just not at the expense of other people as the poster was claiming.

CatherineEarnshaw

I love the IRONY of one fan who posts on a Soap messageboard talkinb about craziness of other fans. The outside world thinks all soaps fans are crazy.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

Look at it this way.

The DH's have a headstart on the rest of DAYS to find another job before the sunsets on Salem.

Good for them. They can move on.

jules

Not a fan of Y&R myself, but it seems to be one of the few shows who gives substantial stories to vets. It might be a good match for Deidre or any other vet that Days fires.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

Rhiannon
Nov 22 2008, 11:18 AM
What would it take to get her back you ask?

All the Deidre and Jarlena fans sending in say $100 or more each every month may almost cover it...... ;)
The show would just give the money to Mary Beth Evans and Stephen Nichols instead.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply