Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: A closer look, Marlena
Topic Started: Nov 20 2008, 08:39 AM (961 Views)
Jonatha

Please link to DR:

After stopping John from shooting the mayor's killer and almost taking a bullet herself in the process, Marlena persuades him to psychiatric help. Deidre Hall discusses Marlena's neverending quest to save John.

SOW: What happens after John and the killer struggle and the gun goes off?

DH: Marlena goes down. It looks like she's been hit, but she hasn't. In the moment, John has a choice to make between saving Marlena or catching the gunman. He makes the choice to check on Marlena. In the meantime, the gunman runs away.

SOW: John is livid at Marlena for interfering, but she's just as angry at him. Why?

DH: You have two people who are very well intended who are at cross purposes. John wants to get the attacker, and Marlena wants to save John. John is about to shoot an unarmed man. Marlena knows he's in mercenary mode. She knows she's in controlled, defensive move and would shoot the attacker in cold blood. Marlena's concerned about John's future, about their future, if he done that.

SOW: So she would have preferred for John to have simply restrained the killer until the police arrived?

DH: Right. Now the killer has gotten away, so Sami remains in danger. And Marlena doesn't like seeing this other side of John, this mercenary side. It scares her, and it's something he's not willing to deal with.

SOW: After Bo and Hope investigate the incident, Marlena tells John and she and the family cannot be around him unless he gets professional help. How does she approach the subject?

DH: She just says, "We're done. You've shown you can be a loose cannon, and until you get help for this problem, I can't have my family around you."

SOW: Is John receptive to the idea of therapy?

DH: No, as usual. But then he comes around.

SOW: John realizes the significance of Marlena's ultimatum and agrees to one meeting with a psychiatrist. How does Marlena feel about that?

DH: She's thrilled! It's a step. It's John agreeing that he has a problem and knowing he has to get help for it, although he thinks he's beyond help.

SOW: Is Marlena inwordly hoping that one meeting with a psychiatrist could lead to more?

DH: Well, the therapist Marlena had in mind is a mentor of hers. Someone she knows who could deal with this issue. She tells John "If anybody can help you, this man can."

SOW: Are Marlena and John both happy with the agreement?

DH: Yes. Marlena is hoping that, with an objective party, John will become more aware that his responses are in the extreme, and those responses endanger him and everybody around him. She's hoping that by having that information revealed to him by a neutral source, somebody who's trained to help him through this kind of problem, he'll agree to more therapy, and hopefully, become the man she knew. She's always hoping to get that John back.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cjknick
Member Avatar

Thanks Jonatha ....

I thought the therapist was a women????

Jonatha

cjknick
Nov 20 2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks Jonatha ....

I know that was strange. It's not a typo. We don't know when this interview took place, maybe before Sandra Ferguson came to the role of the shrink. These days, it's hard to tell what's going on. :shrug:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Jonatha
Nov 20 2008, 08:46 AM
cjknick
Nov 20 2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks Jonatha ....

I know that was strange. It's not a typo. We don't know when this interview took place, maybe before Sandra Ferguson came to the role of the shrink. These days, it's hard to tell what's going on. :shrug:
I think Drake mentioned it in his interview (if not, then I read it somewhere) that the therapist Marlena wants on the case is unable to take it on. He relays the case to Sandra's character and that is what causes tension because she's someone Marlena doesn't know and she ends up going about things in a way Marlena doesn't like.

This does sound great and good to see Bope in cop mode again too.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Nov 20 2008, 08:56 AM.

Ellie

Sigh. Deidre doing as she always has and enthusiastically promoting even the worst writing. Notice how she always ends these with a mention of J&M coming back together. As an actress, she's excited about her work, and she wants to help the fans get excited as well. Truly a team player wanting to help her show succeed. The show owes her much more than we even realize.
Edited by Ellie, Nov 20 2008, 10:37 AM.

jules

Thanks for typing up the article Jonatha. I have nothing else positive to say, except I'll get to see John & Marlena in a couple of scenes.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Another boring plot point in this story that had so much great potential. Higley once again proves she is not a writer and is clueless about what viewers want to see.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply