Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Deidre Hall & Drake Hogestyn FIRED!
Topic Started: Nov 15 2008, 09:17 AM (22,507 Views)
daysfan
Member Avatar

NavJLee8785
Nov 15 2008, 09:47 AM
They are not...GH is the leading contender in that regard! And I know I am about to sound cynical, but someone asked why they kept Melanie and such.....newcomers do NOT get paid as much as the vets do....they work cheap and they can keep them b/c they KNOW they are not getting much money. Do I think they will not be fired soon? I think they will get pink slipped but right away? I don't think so. Heavy hitters MAY come first before starting to get rid of the riff-raff ie Melanie.
You are very right.

With Days budget cuts that have gone on for so many years, some vets or big ones always go first.

In 2003, it was James Reynolds and Matthew Ashford. Now after that, Alexis Thorpe was cut who had only been on the show for about a year and a half, but then some more vets came afterwards(Josh Taylor, Thaao Penghlis).

In 2006, I don't remember too clearly but I think Matthew Ashford again was one of the ones to go, but I don't know if that was due to budget cuts or just to give J&J their happy ending.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

If the newbies are so cheap, why did they ditch Morgan in the middle of a story. She was new, cheap and had a little following?

I am totally surprised about Drake because he had the most potential with a new storyline. There is so much for him to learn about himself. He has Brady, Marlena, and is a fucking Dimera. Can interact with everyone and isn't a good or bad character.

What about Bo? Hope? Those two are useless with nothing going on right now. Is Bope really that much more popular than Jarlena? I doubt it.

This just makes no sense.
I am sorry, Drake. I love you, have loved watching your enthusiasm with John. You looked like the only one enjoying yourself sometimes. This show has really screwed with you recently and I hope you find better.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Alligato
Nov 15 2008, 10:19 AM
If the newbies are so cheap, why did they ditch Morgan in the middle of a story. She was new, cheap and had a little following?

I am totally surprised about Drake because he had the most potential with a new storyline. There is so much for him to learn about himself. He has Brady, Marlena, and is a fucking Dimera. Can interact with everyone and isn't a good or bad character.

What about Bo? Hope? Those two are useless with nothing going on right now. Is Bope really that much more popular than Jarlena? I doubt it.

This just makes no sense.
I am sorry, Drake. I love you, have loved watching your enthusiasm with John. You looked like the only one enjoying yourself sometimes. This show has really screwed with you recently and I hope you find better.
I did think Drake was safe, so I may be wrong here too, but I think Bo and Hope(and most likely Deidre just because there'd be outcry) are safe. Corday, and Dena for that matter, seem to like them alot. They don't have story, but still, I just doubt they'd cut them. And also, Drake is a BIG blow. Days would be crazy to cut two more of the Big Four in such a short amount of time.

Hergie23
Member Avatar

Alligato
Nov 15 2008, 10:19 AM
I think John and Marlena's fanbase is bigger. However, there are more people that dislike them as well. Bope is the more well-liked couple overall. But it's true, they have no story. And there is still so much story to be told about John. Plus, Brady just came back. None of this makes any sense. I almost want to hold out hope that it isn't true but it sounds like it is.

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

Was Morgan let go when the cuts started happening? Honestly, I do not know, and that is why I am asking. If she was let go before the cuts, it could deal with the just the fact she didn't have much of a following like you said and fans were not giving her a chance.

Sometimes, it has nothing to do w/ popularity, but has to do w/ MONEY! And this is coming from someone who works around a company who worries about such.....Drake could cost more that Peter and Kristian. Other times, it does deal w/ popularity. Again, GH is a contender for this....they keep people who THEY think the fans like the most and get rid of the ones who they think the fans do not like. I am not saying that is the situation in this case, but at this point, we don't know yet what that situation is...money or popularity.

I am just trying to look at this objectively.

Loretta3938
Member Avatar

I hate this! Has Ken Corday lost his mind? I'm starting to think he has. The next cuts I hear about had better be on the headwriting staffs at Days. It is insane that those writers make so much money to write this show...when it lulls me to sleep most of the time.

Loretta

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Do I think this is credible? Well his fan club were the first to know that John wasn't really dead weren't they?

This makes no sense. I guess we can no longer say the Big Four are safe because they are also expensive.

King
Member Avatar

DAYS is doing what it needs to survive at this point.

It sucks, but I can't blame them.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Poor Marlena will have a complete mental breakdown if her beloved John dies again. I wonder how the actors stay positive during these times.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Manny
Nov 15 2008, 09:20 AM
What? They fired him? I can't see the news on this link, but I am assuming Drake is out, by the reactions...

So they killed John last year in a fantastic story, but they brought him back and totally ruined that story and now he's gone again?

:lol:

I'm sorry, but it's moves like this that DAYS deserves to be canceled.
I feel the same. Why fuck up a great storyline like the one last year just to get rid of him again?

They brought him back just to please a fanbase without having a story planned after the "new jawn" fiasco.
Edited by Sindacco, Nov 15 2008, 10:41 AM.

King
Member Avatar

Well, the good news is between JKJ and Drake, hopefully, this will have solved most of their budget issues so that not many more will have to go byebye.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

King
Nov 15 2008, 10:36 AM
DAYS is doing what it needs to survive at this point.

It sucks, but I can't blame them.
Yeah, the show has to do what the show has to do. I still think they should cut the dead weight like SN, MBE, JT, TP, and LK. Give major stories to Bo, Hope, and Marlena, feature the 20-30 set, make sure we see Maggie, Doug, Julie, and Caroline, and cast a new generation of characters that garnered the same attention that Bo, Hope, Roman, Steve, Kayla, Kim, and Shane did back in the day. it can be done

Hergie23
Member Avatar

If they were going to do this, they should have left him dead the first time. At least he would have died as sweet, tender John Black, with the love of his life by his side. How can they just stomp on over 20 years of history and popularity? Seriously, how are they going to do this? By having Ava call from somewhere where she is safe from the police and he goes after her? They will probably do something stupid like that.

pspcindy
Member Avatar

goldylicious
Nov 15 2008, 10:37 AM
Poor Marlena will have a complete mental breakdown if her beloved John dies again. I wonder how the actors stay positive during these times.
HA! The way this HW has destroyed the characters, Marlena will probably be relieved if John leaves. The worst thing about DOOL for the last year is the way the characters I have known for so many years have morphed into facsimiles of themselves who I don't recognize whatsoever.

The best budget cutting move would be to hack out the dead wood-the Hack HW.

DOOL is a instutution but it is one built on characters, families and relationships the viewers know and love. Higley had destroyed almost everyone on this show in one short year.

Poor Drake. He is such a nice man and still has much to offer the DOOL audience.

King
Member Avatar

Well, the show didn't know when they brought him back they'd be put in this budgetary position.

They thought the ratings would go up, and everything would be wine and roses.

hops
Member Avatar

Hergie23
Nov 15 2008, 10:51 AM
If they were going to do this, they should have left him dead the first time. At least he would have died as sweet, tender John Black, with the love of his life by his side. How can they just stomp on over 20 years of history and popularity? Seriously, how are they going to do this? By having Ava call from somewhere where she is safe from the police and he goes after her? They will probably do something stupid like that.
I wouldn't be surprised if that is what happens at all. This writing team has no clue how to write depth or complex characters. There was so much story potential with and for John and John and Marlena. One thing I know for sure, it will be a disappointment. But then I can finally be done with this show. I wish all the best for Deidre, I hope she gets to stay on, even if as a John and Marlena fan I don't get my happy ending. But Days of Our Lives.... just not worth it. I'm just not into Sami and the days of her life.
Edited by hops, Nov 15 2008, 11:07 AM.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Hergie23
I will be rather upset if he just leaves town as Jawn, and that is how the Marlena/John story ends. Buf if John dies from whatever Stefano has done to him, for REAL this time lol, it could still provide Dee with dramatic material and pay respect to their love story. I want Marlena and Stefano to battle it out to the end, that is the story i want to see.

CynthiaHaskins1

I just was going to say that bo and hope are not going no where and to be honest peter reckell and kristian alfonso are so important to days of our lives and bo and hope are not a useless couple all then need is a good storyline.
Edited by CynthiaHaskins1, Nov 15 2008, 11:10 AM.

hops
Member Avatar

goldylicious
Nov 15 2008, 11:01 AM
Hergie23
I will be rather upset if he just leaves town as Jawn, and that is how the Marlena/John story ends. Buf if John dies from whatever Stefano has done to him, for REAL this time lol, it could still provide Dee with dramatic material and pay respect to their love story. I want Marlena and Stefano to battle it out to the end, that is the story i want to see.
I think you will be disappointed. Dena doesn't do drama. All she does is triangles and one night stands.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Again, they could make this all a GOOD thing, a fantastic thing, if they just wrote him off correctly.

They could make all of this more of a good, exciting thing if they just wrote a very good, umbrella story that provided for some characters to exit.

Last year when John was killed off, they made it amazing. It was so good and the story was so good that many people didn't WANT John to come back. If they could do something like that again, this could be a success. Days just needs to try. As in, they really need to try.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply