Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Deidre Hall & Drake Hogestyn FIRED!
Topic Started: Nov 15 2008, 09:17 AM (22,389 Views)
bellcurve
Member Avatar

I think, in true DAYS fashion, Drake should be written out as "not being the Real John Black." That the guy in the DiMera lab the audience saw this Christmas was another pawn created to stir up trouble. And that the real John Black really did die.

I haven't been watching in awhile...did they dig up John Black's grave? Was there a body in it? You could still make the case that they hid the real body somewhere else. It would be truly twisted and totally DiMera, especially if it was Stefano's romantic feelings for Marlena and his hatred for John wanting him to do this to the family again.

Then write the Kill Bill-esque story they wanted for Marlena. She will have been deceived all over again. It saves costs on another funeral, everyone else in town can have whatever reaction they like, but Marlena will be the one that takes it the hardest: because she will have been conned by the DiMeras AGAIN. It happened when "Roman" came back, when the real Roman came back, when RoChris returned, and now this time with John dying. Except this time...he's not coming back. He's never coming back.

It would be in the true DAYS spirit, but with a twist. Marlena could go apeshit on the DiMera's again and go overboard in her quest for revenge. And this time, for keeps.
Edited by bellcurve, Nov 15 2008, 11:10 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

I don't want John to die again...this is getting ridiculous!
I know he is expensive but there is so much dead weight on that show...at least 5 characters who aren't seen or doing absolutely nothing and have been vocal about how unhappy they are...they could have let them go instead.
John Black is the only one with an original story right now!! Ugh!!

Too bad Drake couldn't have gone on to host a reality show...then he would be their golden boy. I can say what I want about AS, but she really cemented herself as someone indispensible. Makes me kind of ill. At least she has other income!

Manny
Member Avatar

John dying again (one year after he "died for real in front of our eyes") would just bit ridiculous.

But hey, they don't have Matt Ashford anymore. So they need a new guy that will die 4 times in 2 years for shock value only. John is the new Jack! :lol:

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Well I am done,guess its just ''One life to live'' for me to watch now.

Ken Corday I HATE U.

autumnrain
Member Avatar

I'm actually shocked about this. Not sure how anything surprises me about this show anymore but I really didn't expect this. I do think it's probably the biggest mistake they could make. Drake and Deidre's storyline has more going for it than probably any other storyline on the show right now.

What really bites is that now we probably won't even get any closure. After nearly 23 years of watching John and Marlena struggle to overcome sooo many obstacles, they'll probably go out divorced and barely liking/knowing each other, with John not even knowing himself.

The fact that Ken Corday called him on the phone--not that I expect anything more out of him--but what a coward he is.

Nothing against the actors (or even the characters) but Roman, Kate, Steve, Kayla, Dan, Lucas, Chloe, Tony...ALL of them should've been gone before any ONE of the "big 4" went.

I won't be watching after he leaves. As much as I love Marlena, if Deidre survives this cut, it just won't be worth my time because it's totally unbelievable that Marlena would stick around Salem and just let John walk out of her life. The Marlena *I* know would follow him to the ends of the earth and not stop fighting for them.

What really sucks is that I really LIKED this story. True it needed work and a little more EFFORT put into it but it's the best thing we've gotten in years and it did have potential. And now they're killing it.

Sigh...

Sometimes I can't believe I even still care.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

IHeartDRRick
Nov 15 2008, 11:09 AM
I think, in true DAYS fashion, Drake should be written out as "not being the Real John Black." That the guy in the DiMera lab the audience saw this Christmas was another pawn created to stir up trouble. And that the real John Black really did die.

I haven't been watching in awhile...did they dig up John Black's grave? Was there a body in it? You could still make the case that they hid the real body somewhere else. It would be truly twisted and totally DiMera, especially if it was Stefano's romantic feelings for Marlena and his hatred for John wanting him to do this to the family again.

Then write the Kill Bill-esque story they wanted for Marlena. She will have been deceived all over again. It saves costs on another funeral, everyone else in town can have whatever reaction they like, but Marlena will be the one that takes it the hardest: because she will have been conned by the DiMeras AGAIN. It happened when "Roman" came back, when the real Roman came back, when RoChris returned, and now this time with John dying. Except this time...he's not coming back. He's never coming back.

It would be in the true DAYS spirit, but with a twist. Marlena could go apeshit on the DiMera's again and go overboard in her quest for revenge. And this time, for keeps.
I LOVE that story idea lol Care to write for the show? lol

Hergie23
Member Avatar

IHeartDRRick
Nov 15 2008, 11:09 AM

This would at least salvage this travesty somewhat. I really would love to see the Stefano/Marlena dynamic played out. But I think we are giving the writers too much credit.

FanODays

King
Nov 15 2008, 10:58 AM
Well, the show didn't know when they brought him back they'd be put in this budgetary position.

They thought the ratings would go up, and everything would be wine and roses.
If they didn't know they would be facing budget issues when they were renewed this time then they are idiots and fools. Most people around the net figured it would be coming. The ratings have been falling, there were reports that revenue from advertising was way down and NBC was clear about how little support they were giving Days with Zucker's comment about cancellation.

So what did Days do? They added and added and added to the cast and now they act all surprised. If they are that incompetent and stupid they deserve everything they get including dwindling viewership.

IMO, its a dumb move. Firing Drake is going to hurt the ratings while if they got rid of a few other characters, oh say Daniel, it might even help them.

Firing Drake is a stupid and short sighted move.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

As much As DDH is loved by many, did his exit have any effect on the ratings last year? If Dee left, I think there would be. But I think the popularity of John and Marlena has more to do with Marlena, than it does with John

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

This is crazy!

Although, I must say I'm not as upset as I was when word broke out that he was being released last fall. I was so upset then, but now I'm not. I've grown tired of roboJohn. John and Marlena don't have it anymore with John acting like this, so I don't care that much.

I do think they shouldn't have ever brought him back though. That was just stupid because now I wonder, what's the point?

Dayzfan
Member Avatar

WOW. Why fire your star actor,the centerpiece of the show? If Drake is gone,no one is safe from the cast cutting. And they bring worthless characters like Melanie and Rafe aboard

Hergie23
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Nov 15 2008, 11:25 AM
This is crazy!

Although, I must say I'm not as upset as I was when word broke out that he was being released last fall. I was so upset then, but now I'm not. I've grown tired of roboJohn. John and Marlena don't have it anymore with John acting like this, so I don't care that much.

I do think they shouldn't have ever brought him back though. That was just stupid because now I wonder, what's the point?
Well, I think they still have their chemistry. And they could get back to it eventually if the story was written CORRECTLY. But they have been having not only John, but Marlena act so out of character, you are totally right. They are not the J&M I fell in love with.

And ITA, why did they even bring him back if they were going to do this? They built this entirely new character, promised a love story, made him half DiMera, just brought Brady back, and now they are getting rid of him...AGAIN?! It is beyond stupid. He is the character on the show with the most story still to tell. Not to mention they have just treated a beloved actor like garbage...AGAIN.

jane1978

I really donīt know what to think anymore. The show is shooting people left and right but we have yet to see if there is some plan behind the madness. What will happen with Marlena without John? There is no one for her except Roman. Will she turn into another Kate, just a support for Sami and Brady?

I think we also need to wait till itīs official. Itīs quite possible fans will save Drake like the last time, or they will use the money from his contract to keep Jay. All this are just behind the screen rumours right now.

The show will change for sure and Iīm really sorry for all the actors. I just hope Gary Tomlin will do the best decision possible.

Charmqn
Member Avatar

so their going to keep Rafe, melanie- those two not being a success, but hey lets get rid of 1/2 of a supercouple...Great Job!

Get rid of these new characters :soapbox:
Edited by Charmqn, Nov 15 2008, 11:38 AM.

phloeishot
Member Avatar

Nice James Franco banner! ;)

And yes, at this point, DOOL deserves to be cancelled and I'm sure it will soon when the ratings drop.

daysfan
Member Avatar

You know, ever since Days lost JKJ yesterday, I've been really thinking on this:

Its almost like the 80's all over again. There wasn't the internet back then, and the budget and ratings are also obviously considerably smaller, but back in the 80's, Days lost so many vets, core characters of the show. They brought in all these new characters, some had family connections, others didn't. Like the Salem High people. But as the 80's came to an end, they lost all those new characters(much like Days has lost all of its old Salem High people).

Its just funny how history is repeating itself.

hops
Member Avatar

autumnrain
Nov 15 2008, 11:16 AM
I'm actually shocked about this. Not sure how anything surprises me about this show anymore but I really didn't expect this. I do think it's probably the biggest mistake they could make. Drake and Deidre's storyline has more going for it than probably any other storyline on the show right now.

What really bites is that now we probably won't even get any closure. After nearly 23 years of watching John and Marlena struggle to overcome sooo many obstacles, they'll probably go out divorced and barely liking/knowing each other, with John not even knowing himself.

The fact that Ken Corday called him on the phone--not that I expect anything more out of him--but what a coward he is.

Nothing against the actors (or even the characters) but Roman, Kate, Steve, Kayla, Dan, Lucas, Chloe, Tony...ALL of them should've been gone before any ONE of the "big 4" went.

I won't be watching after he leaves. As much as I love Marlena, if Deidre survives this cut, it just won't be worth my time because it's totally unbelievable that Marlena would stick around Salem and just let John walk out of her life. The Marlena *I* know would follow him to the ends of the earth and not stop fighting for them.

What really sucks is that I really LIKED this story. True it needed work and a little more EFFORT put into it but it's the best thing we've gotten in years and it did have potential. And now they're killing it.

Sigh...

Sometimes I can't believe I even still care.

:hail:

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

wow....Days is truely hopeless.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I feel like this is deja vu again with all these shocking firings...And why the hell are they firing the popular actors? This is a bad move...There is so much more John story to tell...

mesagirl
Member Avatar

The choices they are making sure seem to be bad ones so far, at least to one that has no knowledge of the industry. I hope they are prepared for all the hate mail that's going to be coming their way. First JKJ, now Drake... who will it be tomorrow?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply