Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Deidre Hall & Drake Hogestyn FIRED!
Topic Started: Nov 15 2008, 09:17 AM (22,275 Views)
Jiggs
Member Avatar

SpriteEyes
Nov 23 2008, 02:15 PM
Jiggs
Nov 23 2008, 01:02 AM
ladyofthelake
Nov 21 2008, 06:43 PM
With the comments about the mainstream press only covering Days when it involves Deidre......is it the power of Deidre or the power of her agent or just the fact that she's been on so long? Or maybe a few fans setting off an alarm.
Sometimes, these things get nudged a little, sort of like I heard the big protest when she was killed off years ago. Food for thought.
Once again, the whole "Chicken Little" scenario just makes me shake my head.
Yea, cuz it couldn't just be that Deidre is extremely popular and well known outside of the soap world. Must be the fans calling all these media venues and begging them to cover the story. Yea, that's the ticket. :eyeroll:
What's she known for outside of the soaps world?

Almost being a bond girl?
I said she is known outside of the soap world, not that she is known for her work outside of the soap world, though she did have an NBC drama for two years that was relatively popular, as well as having a big role on Wise Guy, as well as many TV movies. You could go check her website and read her bio if you want more info.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jiggs
Member Avatar

SpriteEyes
Nov 23 2008, 02:19 PM
Jiggs
Nov 22 2008, 03:24 AM
I love how all these articles are being written saying that the genre is dead based on the fact Deidre and Drake have been fired. I couldn't agree more!
The genre dying has nothing to do with them getting fired.

It has more to do with the changing entertainment habits of their public.

If that were true, the only soap that would be dying is DAYS. But that isn't the case and DAYS isn't even at the bottom of the barrel.
LOL I'm just commenting on what all these articles seem to be saying. You can go argue with the authors if you don't agree with them, I guess.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

jules
Nov 23 2008, 03:36 PM
SpriteEyes
Jiggs
ladyofthelake
With the comments about the mainstream press only covering Days when it involves Deidre......is it the power of Deidre or the power of her agent or just the fact that she's been on so long? Or maybe a few fans setting off an alarm.
Sometimes, these things get nudged a little, sort of like I heard the big protest when she was killed off years ago. Food for thought.
Yea, cuz it couldn't just be that Deidre is extremely popular and well known outside of the soap world. Must be the fans calling all these media venues and begging them to cover the story. Yea, that's the ticket. :eyeroll:

Deidre had a nighttime series (Our House), several movies of the week, a role on the series Wise Guy and other nighttime shows. Is that considered outside of the soap world?
Twenty years ago.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Nov 23 2008, 08:01 PM
SpriteEyes
Jiggs
I love how all these articles are being written saying that the genre is dead based on the fact Deidre and Drake have been fired. I couldn't agree more!

If that were true, the only soap that would be dying is DAYS. But that isn't the case and DAYS isn't even at the bottom of the barrel.
LOL I'm just commenting on what all these articles seem to be saying. You can go argue with the authors if you don't agree with them, I guess.
I'm disagreeing that J&M are the cause of soaps dying. Ratings are half of what they were in the eighties/nineties even with J&M.

The writers are just using their getting fired as an angle to get these articles printed.

hops
Member Avatar

SpriteEyes
Nov 23 2008, 08:16 PM
Jiggs
SpriteEyes
Jiggs

I'm disagreeing that J&M are the cause of soaps dying. Ratings are half of what they were in the eighties/nineties even with J&M.

The writers are just using their getting fired as an angle to get these articles printed.
I think their point is well taken. It's a turning point. Yes, daytime has not been well for years. That doesn't take away from the fact the John & Marlena were a staple for over 22 years. That it is news, maybe not to you, but to the people who are writing about it, it struck a chord.

Kyrai

SpriteEyes

I agree with you. I believe D&D getting fired is a sign that Days has forgotten how to tell stories that will keep people watching and get new people to watch. I don't think it says anything about the whole soap world, but I've been very curious after reading all the articles.

(Warning: I'm just gonna start rambling now so feel free to scroll down).
Days is trying to reach young viewers, and now there are more choices than ever, so young viewers aren't tuning in. I wonder if they really think putting young people's faces on the screen alone will draw people in?

I guess it's just me, but I don't remember being bored when I was younger and having to watch tv during the day at all. I remember my grandmother and mother watching soaps, and me asking them after school what happened, and being glad I'd get to watch when school was out, and being so happy we got a vcr because I could get my mom to record the soaps for me, so I could watch them myself. I remember hating Nola Rearden, I think over Beth and Phillip, but I really can't remember why. I remember Roger Thorpe, and Bert Bauer and John and Kim Dixon, and Kate Chancellor, and Phillip and Jill, etc.

I don't exactly remember the timing, but I distinctly remember changing stations and catching a glimpse of Doug Williams and finding out he had a somewhat dubious past and had been in jail. I was in my teens, but I liked him even though he was a lot older. I think it disturbed my mother that I liked such an old man, lol. I started watching a bit of that, and fairly soon, I was watching Days over Y&R. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I first watched for Doug. Thru Doug, I grew to love other characters like Alice, Tom, Mickey, Bill, Laura, Marlena, Maggie, then eventually Bope, Kane, Payla, and then John hooked me far more than Doug even did.

Now was I looking to soaps in the first place? It was somewhat ingrained in me from my parents and grandparents. They talked about them all the time. The characters were their families. I learned to enjoy watching as well. I'll never forget Nicole Drake dying on Edge of Night. You'd have thought the world would come to the end for my mom and grandma. I think I was more excited than they were. In college, soaps were a big then. You went to your respective soap lounge at your appointed times and had a blast watching together (not sure if that's still true today).

I'm sure the fact that there are more choices to watch on tv now, but I still think the soap genre has a lot ot offer. Instead of pitting the young people against the old, I think they should use the audience they have to bring in younger fans. There was tons of things to do at college, but it was a pretty big part of campus life when I was there to watch your soap together and talk about it.

I'll be gone after January, but I really hope tptb will realize what they have in the vets that remain. I know couples have come and gone before and will continue to do so. But for every Jack and Jen fan who decided to stay on because they liked other couples and other stories well enough to stay, I'm sure there were those who decided to leave. If there is a mass cleaning of the vets now, I think the effect would be huge (I think particularly with the lack of storytelling atm). If they can get back to basics, I think people who watch now can fall for the newer people. That's how I started caring about Sami, Carrie, Belle, Brady. Word of mouth can bring in even more new fans, but I really do think the people who love the show and the characters now are the key. I hope tptb don't lose sight of that. There are a lot of good actors on the show and a lot of wonderful fans. I hope things can turn around for their sakes, and I hope young and old can work together for the betterment of the show. Whether you like the character or not, every actor is doing their job the best they know how, and there is probably a fan who likes them just as much as you like your favorites.

Sorry for the ramble but it's been an emotional week for me. Just my thoughts. I enjoyed the soap genre myself. I hope the best for soaps and their fans. Regards.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

SpriteEyes
Nov 23 2008, 08:13 PM
jules
SpriteEyes
Jiggs
ladyofthelake

Deidre had a nighttime series (Our House), several movies of the week, a role on the series Wise Guy and other nighttime shows. Is that considered outside of the soap world?
Twenty years ago.
And?

Jiggs
Member Avatar

SpriteEyes
Nov 23 2008, 08:16 PM
Jiggs
SpriteEyes
Jiggs

Gosh, I sure don't think J&M are the cause of soaps dying either.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Has there ever been an actress as popular as Deidre Hall getting fired on soaps? I don't think so. That is what the aticles are all about. If Dee is out, then something truly is going wrong with soaps. And I say this believing that the show will survive without her. Another question though, and I can't remember if it was in this thread, or another. But has it been verified that Dee and Drake knew for two weeks that they were fired? How do we know this if it's true? So they told them pretty much right after the DAYS event? classy

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Nov 23 2008, 11:47 PM
SpriteEyes
jules
SpriteEyes
Jiggs
ladyofthelake

Twenty years ago.
And?
Many of the people who producers want to watch soaps weren't born or were in grade school.

So unless she's well known to the under thirty crowd she may as well be invisible.

Deleted User
Deleted User

SpriteEyes
Nov 24 2008, 05:30 AM
Jiggs
SpriteEyes
jules
SpriteEyes
Jiggs
ladyofthelake

Twenty years ago.
And?
Many of the people who producers want to watch soaps weren't born or were in grade school.

So unless she's well known to the under thirty crowd she may as well be invisible.
I totally agree. No prime time show will give her a job because she's Deidre Hall, because it doesn't mean much, except for in daytime. Though, that isn't to say she won't get a job the old fashioned way.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

I was defending Ali before, but now it's time to defend Dee. The woman just lost her job and devoted everything to DAYS. Give the lady and her fans a break.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Haha, goldy, like that'll happen ;)

Thanks... but some people manage to find fault with her charity work though, so I doubt this'll get her a break.

Pretty In Pink

I hate to see Drake gone, but I am SOOOOO happy that Deidre is FINALLY getting kicked off the show. She has been on the show a lot longer than she should have been. I would be happy if Marlena would have been brought out only for holidays, funerals, and weddings. Not having to see her at all is even better. :rockon: I just wish that John/Jawn didn't have to be sacrificed just because Marlena has run her course. I like him a lot better without Marlena up his butt all the time.

destinyrules
Member Avatar

Kyrai
Nov 23 2008, 09:50 PM
SpriteEyes

I agree with you. I believe D&D getting fired is a sign that Days has forgotten how to tell stories that will keep people watching and get new people to watch. I don't think it says anything about the whole soap world, but I've been very curious after reading all the articles.

(Warning: I'm just gonna start rambling now so feel free to scroll down).
Days is trying to reach young viewers, and now there are more choices than ever, so young viewers aren't tuning in. I wonder if they really think putting young people's faces on the screen alone will draw people in?

I guess it's just me, but I don't remember being bored when I was younger and having to watch tv during the day at all. I remember my grandmother and mother watching soaps, and me asking them after school what happened, and being glad I'd get to watch when school was out, and being so happy we got a vcr because I could get my mom to record the soaps for me, so I could watch them myself. I remember hating Nola Rearden, I think over Beth and Phillip, but I really can't remember why. I remember Roger Thorpe, and Bert Bauer and John and Kim Dixon, and Kate Chancellor, and Phillip and Jill, etc.

I don't exactly remember the timing, but I distinctly remember changing stations and catching a glimpse of Doug Williams and finding out he had a somewhat dubious past and had been in jail. I was in my teens, but I liked him even though he was a lot older. I think it disturbed my mother that I liked such an old man, lol. I started watching a bit of that, and fairly soon, I was watching Days over Y&R. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I first watched for Doug. Thru Doug, I grew to love other characters like Alice, Tom, Mickey, Bill, Laura, Marlena, Maggie, then eventually Bope, Kane, Payla, and then John hooked me far more than Doug even did.

Now was I looking to soaps in the first place? It was somewhat ingrained in me from my parents and grandparents. They talked about them all the time. The characters were their families. I learned to enjoy watching as well. I'll never forget Nicole Drake dying on Edge of Night. You'd have thought the world would come to the end for my mom and grandma. I think I was more excited than they were. In college, soaps were a big then. You went to your respective soap lounge at your appointed times and had a blast watching together (not sure if that's still true today).

I'm sure the fact that there are more choices to watch on tv now, but I still think the soap genre has a lot ot offer. Instead of pitting the young people against the old, I think they should use the audience they have to bring in younger fans. There was tons of things to do at college, but it was a pretty big part of campus life when I was there to watch your soap together and talk about it.

I'll be gone after January, but I really hope tptb will realize what they have in the vets that remain. I know couples have come and gone before and will continue to do so. But for every Jack and Jen fan who decided to stay on because they liked other couples and other stories well enough to stay, I'm sure there were those who decided to leave. If there is a mass cleaning of the vets now, I think the effect would be huge (I think particularly with the lack of storytelling atm). If they can get back to basics, I think people who watch now can fall for the newer people. That's how I started caring about Sami, Carrie, Belle, Brady. Word of mouth can bring in even more new fans, but I really do think the people who love the show and the characters now are the key. I hope tptb don't lose sight of that. There are a lot of good actors on the show and a lot of wonderful fans. I hope things can turn around for their sakes, and I hope young and old can work together for the betterment of the show. Whether you like the character or not, every actor is doing their job the best they know how, and there is probably a fan who likes them just as much as you like your favorites.

Sorry for the ramble but it's been an emotional week for me. Just my thoughts. I enjoyed the soap genre myself. I hope the best for soaps and their fans. Regards.
great great post!

destinyrules
Member Avatar

goldylicious
Nov 24 2008, 12:27 AM
Has there ever been an actress as popular as Deidre Hall getting fired on soaps? I don't think so. That is what the aticles are all about. If Dee is out, then something truly is going wrong with soaps. And I say this believing that the show will survive without her. Another question though, and I can't remember if it was in this thread, or another. But has it been verified that Dee and Drake knew for two weeks that they were fired? How do we know this if it's true? So they told them pretty much right after the DAYS event? classy
If they did know for two weeks, and happened to know before the Fan event in LA, I am glad those that wanted to meet them still got that opportunity, and that they were still included. Course, that really equates to using them, so I'm guessing that's not so great either.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

SpriteEyes
Jiggs
SpriteEyes
jules
SpriteEyes
Jiggs
ladyofthelake

Twenty years ago.
And?

Yea, tell that to Eric Braedon, Susan Lucci, Susan Flannery, Kim Zimmer, etc...

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Amello
Nov 24 2008, 05:33 AM
SpriteEyes
Jiggs
SpriteEyes
jules
SpriteEyes
Jiggs
ladyofthelake

Twenty years ago.
And?

I totally agree. No prime time show will give her a job because she's Deidre Hall, because it doesn't mean much, except for in daytime. Though, that isn't to say she won't get a job the old fashioned way.
I never said anyone would be giving her a job because of who she is. She's an actor and has gotten jobs outside of soaps, so why wouldn't she be able to do it again?

Jiggs
Member Avatar

goldylicious
Nov 24 2008, 10:55 AM
I was defending Ali before, but now it's time to defend Dee. The woman just lost her job and devoted everything to DAYS. Give the lady and her fans a break.
Thank you. I don't get why people keep coming into this thread trying to pick apart fan's posts about their favorites being fired.
Edited by Jiggs, Nov 24 2008, 05:35 PM.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

soapcentral.com Updates Newsletter [November 24, 2008]

In the Bubble with Dan J Kroll

Dan J Kroll Inside The Bubble with Dan J Kroll
Is the sand running out of daytime's hourglass?
For the week of November 24th, 2008

There was never any doubt what this week's column would be about. Last
week, Days of our Lives, the only soap left on NBC, was renewed for
another year-and-a-half. The soap wasn't expected to last beyond March
2009, so this is good news -- right?

Well, no.

It appears that in order to keep the show on the air, Days of our
Lives will now be acted out by finger puppets and animated stick
figures. It's a great way to slash the show's budget. The creative
department will also be splicing together pieces of scenes from the
past 40-some years to create new episodes.

It's hard to be funny at a time like this, but a little humor goes a
long way to mask the fear many Days of our Lives fans are feeling
right now. Yes, the show is sticking around, but many of the cast
members are not. The show did the unthinkable by booting Deidre Hall
(Marlena) and Drake Hogestyn (John). Hogestyn has been "fired" before,
but axing Hall is almost blasphemous.

In an interview with the Philadelphia Inquirer earlier this week, I
was asked to explain to non-soap fans what the changes at DAYS mean.
Fortunately, we're all soap fans so it's easier to explain it to you.
If you are not a fan of Days of our Lives, let me put this into some
sort of context. Firing Deidre Hall is like firing Susan Lucci (Erica
Kane, All My Children), Susan Flannery (Stephanie Forrester, The Bold
and the Beautiful), Eric Braeden (Victor Newman, The Young and the
Restless), Kim Zimmer (Reva Shayne, Guiding Light), Erika Slezak (One
Life to Live), or Anthony Geary (Luke Spencer, General Hospital).

By now, unless you've been living under a rock, you know that soap
operas are in a bit of trouble. Ratings are down across the board.
Guiding Light fans are particularly worried that their show will soon
see its light go out as the CBS soap continues to languish in the
ratings. It also doesn't help that some folks in the media seem to be
pleading for the show to be cancelled.

Guiding Light, however, is an example of another soap that took
drastic measures to stay afloat. Back in 2005, the show made massive
budget cuts, which included the slashing of everybody's salary. Days
of our Lives has followed in their footsteps. And earlier this year,
GL scrapped the long-time production model for soaps and developed
something new - something that has been met with mixed results.

If cutting Hall and Hogestyn keeps Days of our Lives on the air, DAYS'
executive producer Ken Corday is going to look like the smartest man
in daytime television. If it doesn't work and fans flee in droves,
Corday will forever be known as the man that killed the show started
by his parents 41 years ago. And the show, unlike some of its
characters, will not be coming back from the dead.

Dan J Kroll
Founder, soapcentral.com

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply