Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Deidre Hall & Drake Hogestyn FIRED!
Topic Started: Nov 15 2008, 09:17 AM (22,511 Views)
SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Nov 24 2008, 05:19 PM
SpriteEyes
Nov 24 2008, 05:30 AM
Jiggs
Nov 23 2008, 11:47 PM
SpriteEyes
Nov 23 2008, 08:13 PM
jules
Nov 23 2008, 03:36 PM
SpriteEyes
Nov 23 2008, 02:15 PM
Jiggs
Nov 23 2008, 01:02 AM
ladyofthelake
Nov 21 2008, 06:43 PM
With the comments about the mainstream press only covering Days when it involves Deidre......is it the power of Deidre or the power of her agent or just the fact that she's been on so long? Or maybe a few fans setting off an alarm.
Sometimes, these things get nudged a little, sort of like I heard the big protest when she was killed off years ago. Food for thought.
Once again, the whole "Chicken Little" scenario just makes me shake my head.
Yea, cuz it couldn't just be that Deidre is extremely popular and well known outside of the soap world. Must be the fans calling all these media venues and begging them to cover the story. Yea, that's the ticket. :eyeroll:
What's she known for outside of the soaps world?

Almost being a bond girl?
Deidre had a nighttime series (Our House), several movies of the week, a role on the series Wise Guy and other nighttime shows. Is that considered outside of the soap world?
Twenty years ago.
And?
Many of the people who producers want to watch soaps weren't born or were in grade school.

So unless she's well known to the under thirty crowd she may as well be invisible.
Yea, tell that to Eric Braedon, Susan Lucci, Susan Flannery, Kim Zimmer, etc...
I doubt they're that well known outside of soaps, either.

Although Eric Braeden did get a bit part on How I Met Your Mother and was pretty good in it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

SpriteEyes
Nov 24 2008, 07:42 PM

Although Eric Braeden did get a bit part on How I Met Your Mother and was pretty good in it.
In my opinion, people are confusing two issues.

If someone is "well known outside the soap world", that means to me that if you walked up to someone on the street who does not watch soaps, and either showed that person the soap star's picture or mentioned the soap star's name, the 'man on the street' would know who the soap star is. I personally think that's true for Deidre Hall and Susan Lucci, and I think that's what some in this thread were trying to point out.

However, this is unrelated to whether the actress has actually had a role on 'non-soap' TV or in a movie. (I think Susan Lucci was already very well-known even before her stint on DWTS.)

naley12
Member Avatar

This is terrible!

Deleted User
Deleted User

Jiggs
Nov 24 2008, 05:20 PM
Amello
Nov 24 2008, 05:33 AM
SpriteEyes
Jiggs
SpriteEyes
jules
SpriteEyes
Jiggs
ladyofthelake
With the comments about the mainstream press only covering Days when it involves Deidre......is it the power of Deidre or the power of her agent or just the fact that she's been on so long? Or maybe a few fans setting off an alarm.
Sometimes, these things get nudged a little, sort of like I heard the big protest when she was killed off years ago. Food for thought.
Yea, cuz it couldn't just be that Deidre is extremely popular and well known outside of the soap world. Must be the fans calling all these media venues and begging them to cover the story. Yea, that's the ticket. :eyeroll:

Deidre had a nighttime series (Our House), several movies of the week, a role on the series Wise Guy and other nighttime shows. Is that considered outside of the soap world?
Twenty years ago.
And?
Many of the people who producers want to watch soaps weren't born or were in grade school.

So unless she's well known to the under thirty crowd she may as well be invisible.
I totally agree. No prime time show will give her a job because she's Deidre Hall, because it doesn't mean much, except for in daytime. Though, that isn't to say she won't get a job the old fashioned way.
I never said anyone would be giving her a job because of who she is. She's an actor and has gotten jobs outside of soaps, so why wouldn't she be able to do it again?
What you're implying is EXACTLY what I said.
Quote Post Goto Top

daisysmommy

The whole notion that Corday sat there in Australia talking about the show being about the 'redemptive power of unconditional love' and then axing the two that embodied the comment shows that he is either a spineless stupid, callow idiot, or a backstabbing idiot, or just an idiot. Full stop.

I know I will not watch a show that treats actors and fans with this level of disrespect and total disingeniousnous. I will watch until D&D sign off, and then I will sign off, and wish the show exactly what it deserves.

Ellie

daisysmommy
Nov 24 2008, 10:14 PM
The whole notion that Corday sat there in Australia talking about the show being about the 'redemptive power of unconditional love' and then axing the two that embodied the comment shows that he is either a spineless stupid, callow idiot, or a backstabbing idiot, or just an idiot. Full stop.
I keep thinking about that interview too. I agree with you.

Here's the vid if anyone wants to know what we're talking about. (Corday comes on at 3:45, and the 'love' comment starts at 7:45.)

Pretty In Pink

Jiggs
Nov 24 2008, 05:22 PM
goldylicious
Nov 24 2008, 10:55 AM
I was defending Ali before, but now it's time to defend Dee. The woman just lost her job and devoted everything to DAYS. Give the lady and her fans a break.
Thank you. I don't get why people keep coming into this thread trying to pick apart fan's posts about their favorites being fired.

Quote:

Ironies Abound!
Edited by Pretty In Pink, Nov 24 2008, 10:27 PM.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

SpriteEyes
Nov 24 2008, 07:42 PM
Jiggs
Nov 24 2008, 05:19 PM
SpriteEyes
Jiggs
SpriteEyes
jules
SpriteEyes
Jiggs
ladyofthelake

Twenty years ago.
And?

Yea, tell that to Eric Braedon, Susan Lucci, Susan Flannery, Kim Zimmer, etc...

I made my comment in reply to your comment stating that she might as well be invisible, yet those actors I mentioned are still on soaps and have great influence and popularity. I wasn't talking about if they are known outside of soaps.

MoonShadowed
Member Avatar

Ellie
Nov 24 2008, 10:24 PM
daisysmommy

Here's the vid if anyone wants to know what we're talking about. (Corday comes on at 3:45, and the 'love' comment starts at 7:45.)

since you brought that interview up
and Corday being an asshole :flipoff:

drake was perfectly fine in this interview until Corday came out
then you could tell he absolutely did not want to be there, sitting across from him
he was clearly uncomfortable
and there's definitely an odd vibe about it

also, i there are no photos of Ken and Drake in Oz
there are many of ken and deidre
and in the whole group shots, ken is always on one side drake is on the far other
Edited by MoonShadowed, Nov 25 2008, 06:24 PM.

Kyrai

Ellie
Nov 24 2008, 10:24 PM
daisysmommy

Thanks Ellie. This still feels surreal.

I always love Drake and Deidre even as themselves. Love Thaao with them here. They all seem so close, as Corday said like family. You have to wonder how everyone is feeling. I really feel for all the actors and crew on the show. It has to be an incredibly painful time.
Edited by Kyrai, Nov 25 2008, 07:15 PM.

Pudge Goddess
Member Avatar

daisysmommy

I know I will not watch a show that treats actors and fans with this level of disrespect and total disingeniousnous. I will watch until D&D sign off, and then I will sign off, and wish the show exactly what it deserves.
IMO the Marlena character far from embodies that comment. All she's been doing for months is harping on how Jawn isn't the man he used to be and how he's not up to par with "my John". She's repeatedly criticized him and hurt him a great deal by rejecting him over and over. So . . . I'm not seeing how that can possibly qualify as unconditional love, never mind the embodiment of it. :shrug:

Ellie

Pudge Goddess
Nov 26 2008, 01:07 AM
IMO the Marlena character far from embodies that comment. All she's been doing for months is harping on how Jawn isn't the man he used to be and how he's not up to par with "my John". She's repeatedly criticized him and hurt him a great deal by rejecting him over and over. So . . . I'm not seeing how that can possibly qualify as unconditional love, never mind the embodiment of it. :shrug:
I hate how Marlena's been written under Higley. But that's less than a year (of "New John" and Marlena), and J&M have had a relationship since 1986. Various writers through the years have separated J&M in different ways, but most have respected the underlying dynamics between them. Higley has not even done that.

Pudge Goddess
Member Avatar

CatherineEarnshaw
Nov 23 2008, 01:01 PM
Kyrai
Nov 23 2008, 12:53 PM
I haven't been online terribly long in the scheme of things, but I honestly don't get the J&M fan hatred. It seems like any remark a person who likes J&M says is construed negatively. If the situations with J&M and Bope were reversed, my post would've been the same.

As far as age goes, I think ALL fans regardless of age would like actual stories that go somewhere vs. constant couple changing that leads nowhere and has all fans in limbo, but again that is just my opinion.

Personally, I hate that J&M are leaving like this, and I'm sad, but I feel mostly relieved. I haven't enjoyed the writing that they and others have had under Higley. If I'm not mistaken, you said something similar in another post about Nicole. I think you should feel excited and enjoy the show, not feel dragged down all the time. The writing is terrible. They can fire all the actors and crew they want to make up the 40%, but that is not the problem with the show, imo. J&M are gone now, so it really doesn't matter to me, but Bope, Payla, Tanna, Stefano, Ej, Sami, Nicole, Abe, Lexie, Kate and others that I enjoyed over the years are still there. I think they should take a look at the writing vs. just firing people to make up the 40%. I can certainly be wrong. Maybe they already have. There is certainly a lot I don't know, but I was just stating my opinion given what I have read.

I was a huge Doug and Julie fan before D&D ever joined the show. I still miss Kim and Shane, as well as Jack and Jennifer, Carrie and Mike, Belle, and others. I missed them terribly when they left. I love every time I see Doug and Julie back. I think a message board is the appropriate place to discuss your feelings over the show regardless of what character you like or dislike. No one is ever going to agree with everyone else. They are just not, but I think everyone has a right to their opinions even if others don't agree. That is why there are message boards. I like to get a new perspective on things from reading other opinions, so I'm glad everyone doesn't have to agree.
I think it is more some issue with Deidre Hall based on her posts. And if you respond, then she talks about how soaps are not as important as real life. Well, duh, it is condescending to say so imo on a soap message board. I am pretty sure that every poster on this board has a real life that has nothing to do with Days.

Isn't it condescending and rather rude to discuss other posters, instead of the thread topic and members' opinions about it? It's fine to disagree but why make it personal? :huh1:

e83talus
Member Avatar

Ellie
Nov 26 2008, 01:15 AM
Pudge Goddess
I hate how Marlena's been written under Higley. But that's less than a year (of "New John" and Marlena), and J&M have had a relationship since 1986. Various writers through the years have separated J&M in different ways, but most have respected the underlying dynamics between them. Higley has not even done that.
I agee with Ellie. I hate the way Marlena was written from April to August. Dena turned her into some pod person who either never wanted to discuss her and John or someone who kept looking for old John. This was not in character for my Marlena.

BTW, I also hate nuJohn. The no smiling thing really bugs me and the no emotions got really boring by April. I liked John when he went after Stefano in August but beyond that I have really not been big on this 2.0 emotoJohn. Real John would also never bang Marlena's head into a door, leave her crying on the floor while he played lets break apart the lab toys with some strumpet and then rubbed her nose in his affair with Ava.

Neither J nor M have been treated well by Dena Higleys writing.

Hergie23
Member Avatar

Pudge Goddess
daisysmommy

She loves her John unconditionally. The man she married. I don't know how anyone would expect Marlena to just love this Jawn like she loved the man she married. It would be impossible not to think that way and compare them, especially considering their history. John and Jawn are practically complete opposites of one another. The fact that she won't settle for Jawn and that she is still trying to bring John out is evidence right there of how much she loves him.

She still loves Jawn unconditionally in that she would do anything for him if it would mean keeping him safe/healthy/alive. However, I could never expect her to live the life with Jawn that she had with the man she married. The only thing that is the same about him is the way he looks. He might as well just be John's twin brother. Same look, different person. She met him for the first time when she freed him from that dungeon

I don't particularly like the way she's been written in that all we have gotten in the last year is her changing her mind over and over. But just because I want them together, doesn't mean that they should be. Marlena's John would dislike nuJawn very much. How can we expect Marlena to love him and spend her life with him? To just pick up with her marriage with nuJawn wouldn't be believable. For Marlena to love this John how she loved the man she married wouldn't be believable. And to treat the relationship the same would be a disservice to John. Yeah, she loves him unconditionally. She is just not in love with him anymore. One of the things that made their relationship so endearing was that if John walked into a room, Marlena's face would light up, and vice versa. Regardless of how entertaining he can be at times (even though it has gotten very old for me), she would never be able to feel that way about this Jawn. And I don't see how we could expect her to. He's too different. You fall in love with someone for who they are, not how they look. And the person she fell in love with and has been through hell and back with over the last 22 years is nothing like the person he is now. But she would still do anything for him regarding his well-being.

Kyrai

Pudge Goddess
daisysmommy

I agree with you. This is why I've been upset and complained about how Higley has portrayed Marlena since May or June of this year.

John isn't John because Stefano changed him, so I could buy the John stuff. If they had made John a total BA villain and made me hate him so much that I wanted Marlena to divorce him, I could've bought that because I'd see John as Stefano's victim, and I'd be rooting for Marlena and his 'FRIENDS' to rescue him, and I'd know in the end, real John would feel terribly for what he'd done, there would be resolution, payoff. A good time had by all.

But instead, Higley took Marlena, a character I've loved much of my life, a character who embodied love and understanding, warmth understanding, selflessness and intelligence, and turned her into a woman who couldn't give John a chance. Instead of me feeling like John was the villain, I started feeling like Marlena was. Sure John wasn't himself, but Higley had everyone turning against him for very little reason. Who wouldn't be defensive in his situation? I actually liked new John and felt bad for him (though I've always rooted for old John's heart to come back).

I wrote a long post on this awhile back, and don't have the energy now, but I wish you would know the real Marlena from the 70s, 80s, 90s, early 2000s who was the truest of friends and who was a wonderful psychiatrist who looked for and brought out the best in others. She and John were amazing in their selflessness and devotion to each other and their friends.

I have no trouble with Marlena being human. I LIKE her being human. And I can see this situation testing her to her fullest. I wanted it to! But they did NOT write Marlena like Marlena to me since May.

I think that is what kills me most about this story. It should have been great. There were a lot of good ways to go with this story. Instead it was like Higley launched a full attack on Marlena and destroyed her, and now a couple that symbolized true love is leaving after a very unrepresentative storyline that had no understanding of the core of J&M.

e83talus
Member Avatar

Kyrai
Nov 26 2008, 11:44 AM
Pudge Goddess
daisysmommy

I agree with you. This is why I've been upset and complained about how Higley has portrayed Marlena since May or June of this year.

John isn't John because Stefano changed him, so I could buy the John stuff. If they had made John a total BA villain and made me hate him so much that I wanted Marlena to divorce him, I could've bought that because I'd see John as Stefano's victim, and I'd be rooting for Marlena and his 'FRIENDS' to rescue him, and I'd know in the end, real John would feel terribly for what he'd done, there would be resolution, payoff. A good time had by all.

But instead, Higley took Marlena, a character I've loved much of my life, a character who embodied love and understanding, warmth understanding, selflessness and intelligence, and turned her into a woman who couldn't give John a chance. Instead of me feeling like John was the villain, I started feeling like Marlena was. Sure John wasn't himself, but Higley had everyone turning against him for very little reason. Who wouldn't be defensive in his situation? I actually liked new John and felt bad for him (though I've always rooted for old John's heart to come back).

I wrote a long post on this awhile back, and don't have the energy now, but I wish you would know the real Marlena from the 70s, 80s, 90s, early 2000s who was the truest of friends and who was a wonderful psychiatrist who looked for and brought out the best in others. She and John were amazing in their selflessness and devotion to each other and their friends.

I have no trouble with Marlena being human. I LIKE her being human. And I can see this situation testing her to her fullest. I wanted it to! But they did NOT write Marlena like Marlena to me since May.

I think that is what kills me most about this story. It should have been great. There were a lot of good ways to go with this story. Instead it was like Higley launched a full attack on Marlena and destroyed her, and now a couple that symbolized true love is leaving after a very unrepresentative storyline that had no understanding of the core of J&M.

Yeah, what she said! :hail:

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Kyrai
Pudge Goddess
daisysmommy

Bravo,Bravo,I agree 100% :rockon: Higley has destroyed all the characters on the show as well,but for me she has destroyed JM the most,she had a great potential story and crapped all over it,the guys on that podcast interview were writer Higley couldn't write a greeting card and after JM are gone I truly believe she'll continue ruining the show,since she won't have JM to ruin she'll completly ruin another pair.

Now this is the Marlena I love and adore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSkkSAx2qYI

Higley has totally wrecked everything.
Edited by JohnandMarlenaFreak, Nov 26 2008, 06:45 PM.

hops
Member Avatar

Kyrai

What can I say. Awesome post. You speak for me here. It's such a shame. It's truly sad.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Daytime Confidential

Legendary Soap Scribe Agnes Nixon on Days Firings, "Big Mistakes

Thank you SOAP GODS! The people who made this industry a success in the first place, and kept it steady through economic hard times just as rocky as we are currently experiencing, by relying on the tenets of good old-fashioned, character-driven, storytelling and the horse sense to hire good actors, are finally speaking out. First Thom Racina, now Agnes Nixon.

Daytime's grand dame decried Ken Corday's move to get rid of his top tier stars at Days of Our Lives, as well as the genre's quest for the coveted younger viewer, by saying this to Ad Age:

"I think they [soap operas] are viable [businesses], but I am afraid the suits are making some big mistakes," she said of NBC's decision to kill off older characters on "Days."

"In my experience over the years, young people are interested in 'older' stories," she said. "I have always tried to keep various age groups involved instead of concentrating on just one. ... I think that to represent life, in all its varieties, one needs various age groups."

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply