Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Deidre Hall & Drake Hogestyn FIRED!
Topic Started: Nov 15 2008, 09:17 AM (21,480 Views)
Mason

You tell him Agnes!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I WANT AGNES!!!
Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

Love it! Thanks Kenny. Her point about younger people wanting older stories is so true. I'm not sure why NBC can't understand that. I don't think young viewers look to daytime soaps for the teen storylines; there are other shows that fill that need. I know I've read in the past that middle-aged actresses including Deidre bring in very young demographics. Whenever Days floods the show with teens in the summer, I think they're completely missing the point. Now that the show might be lighter on vets, I don't think they're going to get the young viewers they're looking for.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I understand what Agnes is saying but I don't think anyone really knows what the audience wants anymore. It's hard to tell the way ratings are and with so many different types of fans out there.

Maybe this will be a big mistake but unless Days gets rid of every single vet, I don't see this automatically killing the show, especially since I think Corday will bring them back, especially if things get out of hand. The guy hardly ever sticks to decisions like this.

JustJo
Member Avatar

Hergie23
Nov 26 2008, 07:13 AM
Pudge Goddess
Nov 26 2008, 01:07 AM
daisysmommy
Nov 24 2008, 10:14 PM
The whole notion that Corday sat there in Australia talking about the show being about the 'redemptive power of unconditional love' and then axing the two that embodied the comment shows that he is either a spineless stupid, callow idiot, or a backstabbing idiot, or just an idiot. Full stop.

I know I will not watch a show that treats actors and fans with this level of disrespect and total disingeniousnous. I will watch until D&D sign off, and then I will sign off, and wish the show exactly what it deserves.
IMO the Marlena character far from embodies that comment. All she's been doing for months is harping on how Jawn isn't the man he used to be and how he's not up to par with "my John". She's repeatedly criticized him and hurt him a great deal by rejecting him over and over. So . . . I'm not seeing how that can possibly qualify as unconditional love, never mind the embodiment of it. :shrug:
She loves her John unconditionally. The man she married. I don't know how anyone would expect Marlena to just love this Jawn like she loved the man she married. It would be impossible not to think that way and compare them, especially considering their history. John and Jawn are practically complete opposites of one another. The fact that she won't settle for Jawn and that she is still trying to bring John out is evidence right there of how much she loves him.

She still loves Jawn unconditionally in that she would do anything for him if it would mean keeping him safe/healthy/alive. However, I could never expect her to live the life with Jawn that she had with the man she married. The only thing that is the same about him is the way he looks. He might as well just be John's twin brother. Same look, different person. She met him for the first time when she freed him from that dungeon

I don't particularly like the way she's been written in that all we have gotten in the last year is her changing her mind over and over. But just because I want them together, doesn't mean that they should be. Marlena's John would dislike nuJawn very much. How can we expect Marlena to love him and spend her life with him? To just pick up with her marriage with nuJawn wouldn't be believable. For Marlena to love this John how she loved the man she married wouldn't be believable. And to treat the relationship the same would be a disservice to John. Yeah, she loves him unconditionally. She is just not in love with him anymore. One of the things that made their relationship so endearing was that if John walked into a room, Marlena's face would light up, and vice versa. Regardless of how entertaining he can be at times (even though it has gotten very old for me), she would never be able to feel that way about this Jawn. And I don't see how we could expect her to. He's too different. You fall in love with someone for who they are, not how they look. And the person she fell in love with and has been through hell and back with over the last 22 years is nothing like the person he is now. But she would still do anything for him regarding his well-being.
Thank you! This is exactly what I've thought for months. And I also agree about the destruction of Marlena at Higley's pen. It will, frankly, be a relief to stop watching this garbage in Jan.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Pudge Goddess
daisysmommy
The whole notion that Corday sat there in Australia talking about the show being about the 'redemptive power of unconditional love' and then axing the two that embodied the comment shows that he is either a spineless stupid, callow idiot, or a backstabbing idiot, or just an idiot. Full stop.

I know I will not watch a show that treats actors and fans with this level of disrespect and total disingeniousnous. I will watch until D&D sign off, and then I will sign off, and wish the show exactly what it deserves.
IMO the Marlena character far from embodies that comment. All she's been doing for months is harping on how Jawn isn't the man he used to be and how he's not up to par with "my John". She's repeatedly criticized him and hurt him a great deal by rejecting him over and over. So . . . I'm not seeing how that can possibly qualify as unconditional love, never mind the embodiment of it. :shrug:
How did she hurt someone who claims they have no emotions? :huh1:

Jiggs
Member Avatar

JustJo
Nov 28 2008, 10:35 AM
Hergie23
Nov 26 2008, 07:13 AM
Pudge Goddess
daisysmommy

She loves her John unconditionally. The man she married. I don't know how anyone would expect Marlena to just love this Jawn like she loved the man she married. It would be impossible not to think that way and compare them, especially considering their history. John and Jawn are practically complete opposites of one another. The fact that she won't settle for Jawn and that she is still trying to bring John out is evidence right there of how much she loves him.

She still loves Jawn unconditionally in that she would do anything for him if it would mean keeping him safe/healthy/alive. However, I could never expect her to live the life with Jawn that she had with the man she married. The only thing that is the same about him is the way he looks. He might as well just be John's twin brother. Same look, different person. She met him for the first time when she freed him from that dungeon

I don't particularly like the way she's been written in that all we have gotten in the last year is her changing her mind over and over. But just because I want them together, doesn't mean that they should be. Marlena's John would dislike nuJawn very much. How can we expect Marlena to love him and spend her life with him? To just pick up with her marriage with nuJawn wouldn't be believable. For Marlena to love this John how she loved the man she married wouldn't be believable. And to treat the relationship the same would be a disservice to John. Yeah, she loves him unconditionally. She is just not in love with him anymore. One of the things that made their relationship so endearing was that if John walked into a room, Marlena's face would light up, and vice versa. Regardless of how entertaining he can be at times (even though it has gotten very old for me), she would never be able to feel that way about this Jawn. And I don't see how we could expect her to. He's too different. You fall in love with someone for who they are, not how they look. And the person she fell in love with and has been through hell and back with over the last 22 years is nothing like the person he is now. But she would still do anything for him regarding his well-being.
Thank you! This is exactly what I've thought for months. And I also agree about the destruction of Marlena at Higley's pen. It will, frankly, be a relief to stop watching this garbage in Jan.
Amen, LOL

jules

Kenny
Nov 27 2008, 10:01 PM
Daytime Confidential

Legendary Soap Scribe Agnes Nixon on Days Firings, "Big Mistakes

Thank you SOAP GODS! The people who made this industry a success in the first place, and kept it steady through economic hard times just as rocky as we are currently experiencing, by relying on the tenets of good old-fashioned, character-driven, storytelling and the horse sense to hire good actors, are finally speaking out. First Thom Racina, now Agnes Nixon.

Daytime's grand dame decried Ken Corday's move to get rid of his top tier stars at Days of Our Lives, as well as the genre's quest for the coveted younger viewer, by saying this to Ad Age:

"I think they [soap operas] are viable [businesses], but I am afraid the suits are making some big mistakes," she said of NBC's decision to kill off older characters on "Days."

"In my experience over the years, young people are interested in 'older' stories," she said. "I have always tried to keep various age groups involved instead of concentrating on just one. ... I think that to represent life, in all its varieties, one needs various age groups."
Great comments. I have said it many times before that when I was a kid it was the older couples that got me hooked on soaps.

hops
Member Avatar

jules
Nov 28 2008, 06:30 PM
Kenny
Nov 27 2008, 10:01 PM
Daytime Confidential

Legendary Soap Scribe Agnes Nixon on Days Firings, "Big Mistakes

Thank you SOAP GODS! The people who made this industry a success in the first place, and kept it steady through economic hard times just as rocky as we are currently experiencing, by relying on the tenets of good old-fashioned, character-driven, storytelling and the horse sense to hire good actors, are finally speaking out. First Thom Racina, now Agnes Nixon.

Daytime's grand dame decried Ken Corday's move to get rid of his top tier stars at Days of Our Lives, as well as the genre's quest for the coveted younger viewer, by saying this to Ad Age:

"I think they [soap operas] are viable [businesses], but I am afraid the suits are making some big mistakes," she said of NBC's decision to kill off older characters on "Days."

"In my experience over the years, young people are interested in 'older' stories," she said. "I have always tried to keep various age groups involved instead of concentrating on just one. ... I think that to represent life, in all its varieties, one needs various age groups."
Great comments. I have said it many times before that when I was a kid it was the older couples that got me hooked on soaps.
Me too Jules. I always liked the couples that seemed to be more mature and didn't play so many games. It was much more romantic to me as a teen.

hops
Member Avatar

JustJo
I will be a great relief for me to stop watching in Jan. too Jules. It's sad but true. If Higley had even tried to find some common ground for John and Marlena to relate to on some level, there would have been a story in this somewhere. There was so much potential and so many things they could have found themselves involved in together, including a final showdown with Stefano, not to mention their family and Marlena's abuse and recovery from being held against her will by Stefano. They touched briefly here and there with the sexual connection they still seemed to have, but even then it seems the writers didn't want to explore that too much either. It's our lose I guess. So be it. It just makes it so much easier to let it all go.

jules

hops
Nov 28 2008, 07:33 PM
JustJo
I will be a great relief for me to stop watching in Jan. too Jules. It's sad but true. If Higley had even tried to find some common ground for John and Marlena to relate to on some level, there would have been a story in this somewhere. There was so much potential and so many things they could have found themselves involved in together, including a final showdown with Stefano, not to mention their family and Marlena's abuse and recovery from being held against her will by Stefano. They touched briefly here and there with the sexual connection they still seemed to have, but even then it seems the writers didn't want to explore that too much either. It's our lose I guess. So be it. It just makes it so much easier to let it all go.
LOL hops, but those are justjo's comments (although I feel pretty much the same). I still am in a state of denial about all this lol. It's an end of an era for me because it just isn't Days for me without J&M. (I know many don't feel the same way). My friends mother was over for Thanksgiving and she refused to believe it when I told her about them being fired. She said it's not true because they're on now...I couldn't convince her otherwse. so I gave up. J&M are her favorites and are who she looks forward to seeing, but since she's over 50, I'm sure she doesn't count anyway.

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Awesome video about their firing. :rockon:

Deleted User
Deleted User

That was a great video. LOL It'll suck to see Deidre go. That clip with the girl yelling at the end was perfect.
Quote Post Goto Top

hops
Member Avatar

jules
Nov 29 2008, 09:12 AM
hops
Nov 28 2008, 07:33 PM
JustJo
LOL hops, but those are justjo's comments (although I feel pretty much the same). I still am in a state of denial about all this lol. It's an end of an era for me because it just isn't Days for me without J&M. (I know many don't feel the same way). My friends mother was over for Thanksgiving and she refused to believe it when I told her about them being fired. She said it's not true because they're on now...I couldn't convince her otherwse. so I gave up. J&M are her favorites and are who she looks forward to seeing, but since she's over 50, I'm sure she doesn't count anyway.
Oops, lol. Thanks Jules. ITA Justjo!

It's pretty sad isn't it Jules.

IIttu
Member Avatar

Oh I already miss these two- and I can still see their faces..
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tammy
Member Avatar

WOW I haven't been online in a coon's age and I come back to all kind of holy hell breaking loose.

Now, being a J&M fan this upsets me, however I am not distraught lol. IMO I will be a happy camper knowing that my J&M are off in blissful happiness somewhere in soap opera land. Because honestly I have had enough of these writers fucking up my favorite couple.

I do however feel awful for Deidre and Drake. I guess it goes to show how jacked up the economy is and that NO ONE is excluded.

Besides.... this show is sucking like a HOOVER! ;)

Jarlena4Eva
Member Avatar
Drake's Back!!

So...it has not completely sunk in that John and Marlena will no longer be on Days and I guess it won't until their last day, but I was just wondering. How long do y'all think it is going to take Corday to ask them back?? B/c you know he will! LOL:)

Tammy
Member Avatar

Honestly if I were Deidre or Drake I wouldn't want to go back. Especially after they weren't even given the option of taking a pay cut from what I understand.

But honestly I dont think they will be asked back... at least not permanently. IMO if they came back it would be for a little stint or maybe when the show finally goes off the air, which sadly I am sure it will soon.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply