Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dena, The Killer of Days of Our Lives; grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Topic Started: Nov 21 2008, 12:36 AM (2,389 Views)
Implosion

Need I say more.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

shiningstar

Couldn't agree with you more Implosion. This woman is like a posionious weed, she kills everything she touches. First OLTL and now DOOL, which soap will be next? No one is listening but seriously Corday should have never hired her in the first place. DOOL is now the biggest joke, it's amazing they are on air for 20 more months. If I were the big wigs at NBC, I would have pulled the plug. They are costing more money they are worth all thanks to Dena.

King
Member Avatar

It's hard to say that because you never know if the writer is allowed to tell his or her own stories or not or if Corday just tells them what he wants, and they're doing what he wants to keep their jobs. Who knows.

Regardless, I think her time is up or will be soon.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
Nov 21 2008, 12:48 AM
It's hard to say that because you never know if the writer is allowed to tell his or her own stories or not or if Corday just tells them what he wants, and they're doing what he wants to keep their jobs. Who knows.

Exactly.

I understand why people don't like her and that's fine but between the strike, writing team upheaval several times, the scandal with Scott and the diva, more backstage and writing upheaval, and now cast cuts...I wouldn't be surprised if most of her material hasn't reached air. I know for a fact two major stories were tossed out. One during the aftermath of the summer scandal and one due to cast cuts.

I do think she will be done soon too. She's already walked once and now she's pissed about the cuts. Maybe whoever said a few months ago she would bolt once she finishes the autism story was right. I give her a few months. I think by March she will be gone.

She's not the killer of Days though. That title is all Corday's.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Nov 21 2008, 01:07 AM.

Implosion

Thanks King and Shining....

I just remember falling back in love with DOOL again mid 2007, rushing home everyday so that I could catch each and every moment. Now I just cringe at the thought of what the show has become...I don't watch anymore, for me Dena has killed the show that I fell back in love with. A show that I was excited to see mature into its possibilities.

I would or could have feelings for her plight as a writer. Except, that I remember all to well the same EXACT experience happen to me over OLTL. Once Dena got her hooks into that show...all things good were placed into coma's and we the fans were assured that atleast the characters could possibly come back...since they were not dead. Forget the matter that we as fans had invested and believed in the SL's weaved on the soap canvas...she placed more people in coma's in a six month period then should ever be allowed on a soap. She turned OLTL into a joke...then was asked to leave and renewed at Days to wreak her same havoc. Its like follow her path of distruction...or be placed in a coma. This if course is her imagination at work. It is November...sweeps for most soaps...what has happend at DOOL.....let me tell you....people get axed, and I assume that means more coma's.

I just wish someone would have the balls to actually start to write for DOOL, to not be afraid to take chances....to write as if they meant it. Rather then to trip off their pens these pithy frivilous plots that have absolutely no meaning to anyone except Dena. When will it sink into to her that we don't have a clue whats going on in her head, and that what she imagines just does not translate well onto screen. All I see when I tune into DOOL these days is a white hot steaming mess, of a soap that used to be something...well in my mind great.

sigh
this is me being sick to death of DOOL at the moment.
Imp

BTW shout out to OBK for sending me to the most fabulous website...what do I care so long as I have Bewitched!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Implosion
Nov 21 2008, 01:08 AM
Thanks King and Shining....

I just remember falling back in love with DOOL again mid 2007, rushing home everyday so that I could catch each and every moment. Now I just cringe at the thought of what the show has become...I don't watch anymore, for me Dena has killed the show that I fell back in love with. A show that I was excited to see mature into its possibilities.

I would or could have feelings for her plight as a writer. Except, that I remember all to well the same EXACT experience happen to me over OLTL. Once Dena got her hooks into that show...all things good were placed into coma's and we the fans were assured that atleast the characters could possibly come back...since they were not dead. Forget the matter that we as fans had invested and believed in the SL's weaved on the soap canvas...she placed more people in coma's in a six month period then should ever be allowed on a soap. She turned OLTL into a joke...then was asked to leave and renewed at Days to wreak her same havoc. Its like follow her path of distruction...or be placed in a coma. This if course is her imagination at work. It is November...sweeps for most soaps...what has happend at DOOL.....let me tell you....people get axed, and I assume that means more coma's.

I just wish someone would have the balls to actually start to write for DOOL, to not be afraid to take chances....to write as if they meant it. Rather then to trip off their pens these pithy frivilous plots that have absolutely no meaning to anyone except Dena. When will it sink into to her that we don't have a clue whats going on in her head, and that what she imagines just does not translate well onto screen. All I see when I tune into DOOL these days is a white hot steaming mess, of a soap that used to be something...well in my mind great.

sigh
this is me being sick to death of DOOL at the moment.
Imp

BTW shout out to OBK for sending me to the most fabulous website...what do I care so long as I have Bewitched!
I understand what your saying but how do you expect anyone to write quality for Days given the circumstances? Between all the upheaval, interference, Corday, fanbase pressures, the network, etc it's next to impossible. It's been that way for ten years now and it's only gotten worse with each passing year. Days had a talented writing staff on a roll in late 2006 and it was derailed by Corday. The show was on another roll again in late 2007/early 2008 and it was derailed by Corday. That man is killing the show, no one else. He makes the decisions and the other factors I mentioned don't help either.

Implosion

PhoenixRising05
Nov 21 2008, 01:06 AM
King

Exactly.

I understand why people don't like her and that's fine but between the strike, writing team upheaval several times, the scandal with Scott and the diva, more backstage and writing upheaval, and now cast cuts...I wouldn't be surprised if most of her material hasn't reached air. I know for a fact two major stories were tossed out. One during the aftermath of the summer scandal and one due to cast cuts.

I do think she will be done soon too. She's already walked once and now she's pissed about the cuts. Maybe whoever said a few months ago she would bolt once she finishes the autism story was right. I give her a few months. I think by March she will be gone.

She's not the killer of Days though. That title is all Corday's.
Hey Phoe, long time no talk!

Ok. I agree with you, and upon reflection I think that I would amend the title to reflect Corday's duplicity in the death of DOOL. He is just as much a killer of this soap as the writers.....as he is ultimately driving this ship. Yes there were budget cuts, deep ones at that...yes there were firings....yes there was a stike. I agree with all you have to say on the matter. However, I realize and acknowledge that while, budget cuts, strikes, firings...etc would affect the show, I still maintain that these should not be used as an excuse for poor writing, all shows have, will, and are now experiencing some elements of each...perhaps it is the culmination of them all at once which is killing Days capacity to bounce back...maybe.

What I can say about the matter is this, everything could be forgiven if we the fans were given proper sl's that transitioned from one jump to the next. For proper transitions, when one sl abruptly ends to make way for a new direction that the soap moves towards, one would need a writer, or writers that could WRITE! There is a sortof self indulgence that is happening over at DOOL, a self indulgence that leaves "we" the fans out in the cold. As it is apparent that the show could care less for our patronage.

While I understand that there have been many challenges on the show. More so then most, I will maintain that if Dena wrote and had proper transitions from abrupt SL change in direction, rather then to change direction every five seconds, with no care to the fans watching...more fans would stay tuned in. I think more then anything I have just become pissed over the entire debacle. It is tiresome to the extreme to love a show and watch its slow and painful demise. But like all things ... I guess they must come to an end.

sigh
Edited by Implosion, Nov 21 2008, 01:29 AM.

King
Member Avatar

The only thing I think is really wrong with DAYS right now is the mess with Kate/Chelsea/Dan/Chloe/Lucas/Sami/Ej/Rafe/Nicole.

Given, they all take up a huge portion of the show. LOL. Everyone is interested/in love with/banging someone else. It's so ridiculous!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
Nov 21 2008, 01:30 AM
The only thing I think is really wrong with DAYS right now is the mess with Kate/Chelsea/Dan/Chloe/Lucas/Sami/Ej/Rafe/Nicole.

Given, they all take up a huge portion of the show. LOL. Everyone is interested/in love with/banging someone else. It's so ridiculous!
Actually...alot of that has been resolved or, in better terms, not resolved so much as given direction.

Sami is out of both Lucas and EJ's orbits and not romantically linked to Rafe. She still loves EJ though. EJ is set on Nicole and seems over Sami at the moment. Nicole is set on EJ but it looks like we may get a Brady/Nicole/EJ story. Lucas and Chloe are set on each other. Kate/Daniel are set on each other at the moment although he's making eyes at Chloe. There is really no bed hopping. In fact, we've only had one sex scene in like 3 months and it's EJ and Nicole's this week. I actually never saw the issue with the bed hopping. It happened once in July during the blackout with Lucas/Chloe and EJ/Nicole. There was alot of convoluted nonesense in summer because of the backstage BS but once Scott left and everything got settled, we actually got some direction and now we have actual stories going somewhere. It's hardly what it was a few months ago.

I couldn't agree more with Implosion (good to talk to you too, by the way :smile: ) but the problem is it's hard to transition through changes, re-writes, etc because they happen so often. It seems like every 2-3 months there is something else that happens that forces change. That doesn't help at all.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Nov 21 2008, 01:47 AM.

King
Member Avatar

That's a relief, Tim.

When I get to my parents' house, I am going to have a mega-marathon of DAYS. They're saving all of the Novembers and Decembers episodes for me on the DVR. It's going to be crazy! But I am sick of not having DAYS in my life. Haha.

shiningstar

King

You have a valid point and I think Corday is just as much to blame as Dena. Even if Corday is not letting her tell certain stories, surely she could come up with better crap than she is right now. Kill two birds with one stone, get rid of Ken Corday and his bitch, Dena Hackley.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
Nov 21 2008, 02:09 AM
That's a relief, Tim.

When I get to my parents' house, I am going to have a mega-marathon of DAYS. They're saving all of the Novembers and Decembers episodes for me on the DVR. It's going to be crazy! But I am sick of not having DAYS in my life. Haha.
Just in case you can't watch it all, you should make sure to watch all of this week's, King.

Actually, you may want to watch the last few weeks of buildup but definitely this week with the Nick/Melanie stuff. I think you would like psycho Nick and the whole murder mystery climax.

Hell, what am I saying. Watch it all. :laugh:
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Nov 21 2008, 02:51 AM.

jane1978

shiningstar
Nov 21 2008, 02:33 AM
King

You have a valid point and I think Corday is just as much to blame as Dena. Even if Corday is not letting her tell certain stories, surely she could come up with better crap than she is right now. Kill two birds with one stone, get rid of Ken Corday and his bitch, Dena Hackley.
I think you will get your wish regards Dena because I really feel she is fading out while Tomlin/Whittesell takes over. There is very little "Higley" in the stories lately and from spoilers itīs clear the trend will continue.

I donīt think she will be fired, just her impact on the stories which makes it on screen seems smaller and smaller. I think from the moment the Trentīs murder story shifted focus from Caroline to Melanie it has been clear Whitesell/Tomlin with almost no Higley involved. I think the upcoming things with Nicole/EJ and the big secret is mainly Whitesell/Tomlin too. The Titan story with Phillip, Stephanie and Mel, again, no Higley.

Higley supposedly had some story for J/M and Brady and I quess she will write their happy ending and reunion now. And of course, she has the autism story.

BUT, I must say I think itīs funny so many people wants Higley gone when she is the one who wants to write character driven stories and likes the vets. Tomlin/Whittesell seems to not care about vets at all and are pure camp and plot.

Mason
Member Avatar

Dena Higley? Character driven?

LMAO! :roflol:

King
Member Avatar

I am definitely going to do my damnedest to watch all of them, PR. Luckily, I am leaving my car here and flying to their house so I might be stranded at their house, car-less, a lot! haha.

Kyrai

Kyrai
Nov 21 2008, 06:44 AM
Implosion
Nov 21 2008, 01:18 AM
What I can say about the matter is this, everything could be forgiven if we the fans were given proper sl's that transitioned from one jump to the next. For proper transitions, when one sl abruptly ends to make way for a new direction that the soap moves towards, one would need a writer, or writers that could WRITE! There is a sortof self indulgence that is happening over at DOOL, a self indulgence that leaves "we" the fans out in the cold. As it is apparent that the show could care less for our patronage.

While I understand that there have been many challenges on the show. More so then most, I will maintain that if Dena wrote and had proper transitions from abrupt SL change in direction, rather then to change direction every five seconds, with no care to the fans watching...more fans would stay tuned in. I think more then anything I have just become pissed over the entire debacle. It is tiresome to the extreme to love a show and watch its slow and painful demise. But like all things ... I guess they must come to an end.

sigh
I love your posts Implosion. I've felt the same way trying to watch the show this year. It almost made my head spin watching from episode. I'd see something I liked, then the next episode, I was 'wth' happened. There was no flow at all. It was very event driven, not story or character driven at all. In fact, there was no real story at all. I felt like Dena did not have a clue how to write a soap.

I'd like to know the details of exactly what happened, but all I do know, is I tried to watch and the stories became more and more confusing and random to the point where it was very difficult to watch, then a bit after the Ed issue broke we got the hospital storyline which was more focused than I'd seen all summer, and it was interesting. Fabulous Tony, Stefano scenes. Great John, Anna, Marlena scenes. Kayla and Steve had a couple of excellent scenes, and I was looking forward to them being used a lot more given their strong parallels to the J&M Ava story. Ej/Sami scenes in the stairwell were nice as well as the EJ family scenes just prior to this. It was exciting, and I was looking forward to getting back to some real storytelling.

Then it seemed like Dena was back. Waffling storylines, events that didn't flow from one day to the next. Stories that were obviously not planned out well to begin with like the Hollingsworth case, summarily wrapped up. Others like Kate's proposal, just disappeared without even trying to address it. How hard is it to have a 'no, I won't marry you scene'? The more restrained nice Sami replaced with shrew again. The vengeful Stefano replaced with a cuddly babysitter... You get tired of investing in stories only to be jerked around randomly all the time or have a story ended with no payoff after staying with it.

I do think Tomlin/Whitesell have tried to get their hands around the show and are working on making it more cohesive. There are things I haven't bought at all with the Trent story, the way the whole Trent story changed so suddenly and heavy handedly to a Trent is the worse man ever put on earth and needs to die, the way the direction changed to Nick somewhat suddenly leaving little pieces that don't tie up, the way the whole court scene was handelled so heavy handed and unrealistically, but overall, in the end they actually did tell a story that somewhat paid off these last weeks. I disliked about throwing the only nice young guy the show had to the wolves for it, but I guess that's sometimes what soaps are about. They couldn't have made me hate Melanie more I must say. She went from interesting when she first came on to 'nails on the blackboard'. If they had had her fall and flattened by a Mack truck, now THAT would've made the story for me, oh well.

I'm incredibly disappointed that just as Brady came back and the J&M story seemed about to be on track, we had our legs cut out from under us. I really liked Brady's return and was cautiously excited about the show again. I hoped the writers used D&D's missing time to get a handle on where they wanted to go with their story, and it seemed like they had. After struggling to watch Higley's mess all year, finally I was hopeful again, now I will we get an abrupt end to the story that I've been aching for all year, and the characters that were the heart of the show for me will be gone. Even if they weren't on, them just being there did keep me trying to watch.

I don't know Corday's motivations. It seems like he used firing D&D to send a message to the rest of the team, and the callous way he fired them over the phone was unbelievable. I almost wonder if he didn't WANT to incite the J&M fans. I am very sure people who have given up on the show this year and even in recent years will at least wonder about their last scenes and want to tune in for them. It gives the writers a brief chance to put something out there that can get some new people watching. I feel like the way Corday has treated D&D after all these years is just abhorrent. He could have handled this much better. He's using them to get press even as they exit. Just my impression.

I know I won't be watching without J&M much as I like other characters. Losing them just cuts the heart out for me. But I do want the remaining actors that I've enjoyed for years, PR, KA, SN, MBE, TP, LH, etc to have jobs and for things to get better for them. I'm in an odd position of hating Corday and Higley and wanting karma to bite them in the ass, while not wanting bad things for the people that are innocent victims in this who have also contributed to the enjoyment I've had in the show thru the years. The way this whole situation has been handled just leaves a disgusting taste in my mouth after all the good times DOOL has given me. I hate how J&M is ending.

As for Higley, I think she wrote garbage. Ed couldn't take it anymore and tried to fix it, and Higley got to pin her terrible writing on him. Now Tomlin may be capable, so he could possibly bail her out of this. No matter what, I think Higley is a hack, and J&M are taking the fall for it.

Kyrai

jane1978
Nov 21 2008, 03:13 AM
BUT, I must say I think itīs funny so many people wants Higley gone when she is the one who wants to write character driven stories and likes the vets. Tomlin/Whittesell seems to not care about vets at all and are pure camp and plot.
The problem is her writing, if you can even call it that, is atrocious. I've never seen it as character driven. It is event driven. If the character has to be destroyed for her event, she could care less. Character driven implies caring about the character's history and motivations. I never saw that from her.

I'd much rather have a writer who writes coherent decent stories even if they are pure camp and plot than meaningless drivel that you can't even follow.

esp13
Member Avatar

Quote:

The problem is her writing, if you can even call it that, is atrocious. I've never seen it as character driven. It is event driven. If the character has to be destroyed for her event, she could care less. Character driven implies caring about the character's history and motivations. I never saw that from her.

I'd much rather have a writer who writes coherent decent stories even if they are pure camp and plot than meaningless drivel that you can't even follow.

Truer words were never spoken. Since she's been back I think just about every character has been thrown under the bus for plot purposes. That's not character driven writing, it's plot driven. Let's take a smart person and make them exceedingly stupid for a couple of weeks because that serves the plot. Let's take a character who would never do X, Y, or Z and make sure they do all 3 to serve the plot. And, on top of it, let's make sure we provide NO explanation for why they would do things they would never do and also never mention it again when it's over.

I'm not saying that Higley hasn't written some good character moments along the way. But, those moments are, for me, drastically outweighed by the damage by so many other moments.
Edited by esp13, Nov 21 2008, 10:52 AM.

Ponz
Member Avatar

Higley is a terrible headwriter but she's not the "killer" of DAYS. Her writing is very much a symptom- not a cause- of the directionless, gimmick-obssessed mindset of Corday and NBC. She may be particularly bad at executing this philosophy but she didn't create it.

peaches179

esp13
Nov 21 2008, 10:11 AM
Quote:

Truer words were never spoken. Since she's been back I think just about every character has been thrown under the bus for plot purposes. That's not character driven writing, it's plot driven. Let's take a smart person and make them exceedingly stupid for a couple of weeks because that serves the plot. Let's take a character who would never do X, Y, or Z and make sure they do all 3 to serve the plot. And, on top of it, let's make sure we provide NO explanation for why they would do things they would never do and also never mention it again when it's over.

I'm not saying that Higley hasn't written some good character moments along the way. But, those moments are, for me, drastically outweighed by the damage by so many other moments.

ICAM!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply