Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dena, The Killer of Days of Our Lives; grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Topic Started: Nov 21 2008, 12:36 AM (2,406 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Nov 21 2008, 03:13 AM
shiningstar
Nov 21 2008, 02:33 AM
King
Nov 21 2008, 12:48 AM
It's hard to say that because you never know if the writer is allowed to tell his or her own stories or not or if Corday just tells them what he wants, and they're doing what he wants to keep their jobs. Who knows.

Regardless, I think her time is up or will be soon.
You have a valid point and I think Corday is just as much to blame as Dena. Even if Corday is not letting her tell certain stories, surely she could come up with better crap than she is right now. Kill two birds with one stone, get rid of Ken Corday and his bitch, Dena Hackley.
I think you will get your wish regards Dena because I really feel she is fading out while Tomlin/Whittesell takes over. There is very little "Higley" in the stories lately and from spoilers itīs clear the trend will continue.

I donīt think she will be fired, just her impact on the stories which makes it on screen seems smaller and smaller. I think from the moment the Trentīs murder story shifted focus from Caroline to Melanie it has been clear Whitesell/Tomlin with almost no Higley involved. I think the upcoming things with Nicole/EJ and the big secret is mainly Whitesell/Tomlin too. The Titan story with Phillip, Stephanie and Mel, again, no Higley.

Higley supposedly had some story for J/M and Brady and I quess she will write their happy ending and reunion now. And of course, she has the autism story.

BUT, I must say I think itīs funny so many people wants Higley gone when she is the one who wants to write character driven stories and likes the vets. Tomlin/Whittesell seems to not care about vets at all and are pure camp and plot.

I agree for the most part.

Higley was much more character-driven this time around, when she wasn't being interfered with. However, her execution and pacing was off until Tomlin and Whitesell, who I think have helped immensely.

I do think she will be gone soon and that concerns me because I think she helped balance things out. I don't know if it want too much camp and I don't want Tomlin and Whitesell turning this into a Sunset Beach ripoff either.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

koos

Dena hasn't killed Days, by a long stretch. KFC did it ages ago. The show sucked in mid 2007 just as much as it does now... maybe moreso, in my opinion. Anyone who thinks they've done anything character driven since I was a little kid (if then, even) is crazy. Two weeks (I'm being generous) of good episodes at a time mixed with pure crap, ala fall '07 and early '08 don't count.

Mason
Member Avatar

koos
Nov 21 2008, 03:38 PM
Anyone who thinks they've done anything character driven since I was a little kid (if then, even) is crazy. Two weeks (I'm being generous) of good episodes at a time mixed with pure crap, ala fall '07 and early '08 don't count.
Well, in that case, someone get me a straightjacket 'cause I'm nuttier than a fruitcake!

annalee003
Member Avatar

King
Nov 21 2008, 02:09 AM
That's a relief, Tim.

When I get to my parents' house, I am going to have a mega-marathon of DAYS.
Get ready to fall into a coma.

Just kidding. I hope you enjoy your marathon.

Implosion

Hmmm....I have read everyone's posts and have re-read them, and what I will say is this...to obsolve Dena of her transgressions as a writer and a "death dealer", to me is just nutty. Yes, I agree that Corday has much to do with this, as it was ultimately his decision to hire her in the first place, during the strike. As the head honcho, Corday hires people to do jobs, tasks which he ultimately is unable to do himself...it has been clear all along that Dena has been incapable of doing her job and selling the job that she does...which is to write. Why is it that each exec producer that the show hires comes in and tries to fix her work and yet she remains....

Dena as the head writer of the show is more concerned about the "quick win" mentality, rather then the over all long term view of the sl's that are being produced. Why else do we get sl's that change soo abruptly before they come to any form of fruition? Dena in my mind is the killer of Days as she goes for the one off sl gimmick driven wonders to pull in the ratings, that only last for a day in a week of a quarter period. This is no way to write a show. What is a soap without a competent writer...all soaps are driven by the story arch's...that pull viewers in and weave us in about and through to the next arch produced. In my mind, this type of writing explains why all characters are easily "thrown under the bus" at a moments whim. The show has purly become about the ratings gambit, rather then trying to seduce the viewers into giving a damn in the first place. Not to mention the self indulgence at play, where Dena seems to be writing sl's for herself...rather then the viewers.

Where are the sl's that I used to rush home for, that kept me on the edge of my seat, biting my nails till the next installment......I have not watched Days in a while now...and seriously if things continue the way they have been...I may not ever watch again. Thanks Dena and Corday for ruining Days.

Think about this, Dena still has a job, while all those who have tried to take her on, ultimately are forced to leave. They have each tried to come in and do her work...why would they need to do that if she was competent at her job......? Quite clearly this speaks volumes to me....under Ed, the soap did well...we as fans generally agreed at the time that the show was back on track....and yet he was fired because he fixed the work that Dena produced, as in his mind...and the minds of others it was not up to par. The only person who seems satisfied with her performance as a writer is Corday....a man who knows little to nothing about writing, hence the reason for him to hire others to do the work.

Implosion

By the way...thanks Kyrai for your kind words.
Your words of kindness has reminded me how much I miss engaging, getting riled up, passionate, and just plain being in love with DOOL.

I guess I will have to spend my energies on JoLu and GH from now on. GH is no Days....but alas...atleast it is still something.

:)

LovingDays

So When Is Dena will get fired i hope really really soon so we can see more of

Kayla/Steve
EJ/Sami/Rafe Triangle Lucas need to go
Chloe/Nicole/Brady Triangle I love this triangle
Phillip/Stephanie Im so happy there doing this couple
Max need a new women not nieces bring back Abby for him
Chelsea/Nick
Kate/Roman so Daniel need to leave town
Bo/Hope a new storyline

LovingDays

Tanna need to be more on the screen and bring back Lexie's mom Celeste

Pair Stefano with him omg i would really like thisssssssssss

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Mason
Nov 21 2008, 03:40 AM
Dena Higley? Character driven?

LMAO! :roflol:
I did a spit take on that one myself!

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

I don't think we can blame Dena exclusively. DAYS death started with Corday's hiring of Reilly and he trained Dena.

Deleted User
Deleted User

This really shouldn't have its own topic.
Quote Post Goto Top

Implosion

Amello
Nov 23 2008, 08:26 PM
This really shouldn't have its own topic.
Why shouldn't "this" (and I can only assume you mean this thread) have its own topic......?

I am confused by your statement.

Personally, I think it is important to talk about Days...in all its un-glory, that being the lackluster writing given to the fans by Dena.
It's a sad day when I am unable to watch an epi...at all...of a soap that I used to cherish. I think a lot of people feel this way...sadly...
Why more are not speaking up about it...I don't know...everyone is entitled to their opinions.
Imp

shiningstar

SpriteEyes
Nov 23 2008, 08:23 PM
I don't think we can blame Dena exclusively. DAYS death started with Corday's hiring of Reilly and he trained Dena.

Reilly wasn't all bad. Don't blame the teacher because the student is a dumbass. I do agree that Corday is the cause of all of this.

Amello- it hasn't been canned so I guess the mods don't agree with you.

Dena should die a painfuls slow death by getting repeated paper cuts.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

shiningstar
Nov 29 2008, 03:41 AM
SpriteEyes
Nov 23 2008, 08:23 PM

Reilly wasn't all bad. Don't blame the teacher because the student is a dumbass. I do agree that Corday is the cause of all of this.

Amello- it hasn't been canned so I guess the mods don't agree with you.

Dena should die a painfuls slow death by getting repeated paper cuts.
That's funny. People were saying the same thing about Reilly.....and Sheffer....(in regards to slow painful deaths...I hope the people who said that about Reilly have crushing guilt weighing on them now)...I have no idea what they said before Reilly, because I didn't worry about writers before I started cruising on boards....
The more I read boards, the more I wonder if Corday is even the sole problem. I mean, he's proven himself to not be a very savvy businessman, but we don't know what the lack of support is from Sony and/or NBC either.
We're tending to forget that Whitsell is on board now. So, if there's any writing blame to be had, maybe it should be shared now? But, the buck probably stops with Corday and Sony.
The probable situation is..there has been major shit going on at Days for months, nay, years now, and we don't know the half of it and probably never will.
Edited by ladyofthelake, Nov 29 2008, 06:59 PM.

phloeishot
Member Avatar

Fire Dena Higley petition:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/SaveDaysFireDena/

maral

dana IS killing the show. where are the vets? she made sami brainless when she had sex with her rapist. Lucas is ooc so is chloe. she had golden in EJOLE that she is ruening. and don't get me started on dr dan.

jcar03
Member Avatar

Lets think about this objectively. The show has had more bad years then good over the last fifteen years and what is the one common denominator, KEN CORDAY! Wouldn't matter who was at the head writer slot the show would still be suffering throughing because that man in a moron.

e83talus
Member Avatar

Dena is an awful writer period!

I did not like Sheffer because he readily admitted that he did not understand or like J&M, along with the EJ rapist s/l, crazy Steve, and Touch the skies. He however have moments of good stuff. I loved Steve and Andre during the summer of 07. I loved the show from Johns Death until the Plane Crash in February 08.

Reilly was great during his first run. The second run was not as good but was not all bad either. I loved SSK right up until everyone was found alive, which I don't think was all Reilly's fault. Zacks death was sad but phenomenal drama. Peter and Kristian rocked their s/l and it was indeed written by Reilly.

I have not liked a single show or s/l that Dena has written. I liked the two weeks during the olympics which is rumored to have been written by Ed Scott so indeed that doesn't count. I hate or strongly despise most of the characters that she finds interesting and have showcased during her tenure including Chelsea, Daniel, Stephanie, Max, Morgan, Morgans father, whoever he was, Ava, Melanie, and Rafe. I am nearly through with Sami, EJ and Nicole as well as they are taking up all of the oxygen in the darn room.

Dena is awful!
She has been awful since the start!
She will remain awful!
Even after I leave on January 24. :blah:

Kyrai

e83talus
Dec 9 2008, 07:43 PM
Dena is an awful writer period!

I did not like Sheffer because he readily admitted that he did not understand or like J&M, along with the EJ rapist s/l, crazy Steve, and Touch the skies. He however have moments of good stuff. I loved Steve and Andre during the summer of 07. I loved the show from Johns Death until the Plane Crash in February 08.

Reilly was great during his first run. The second run was not as good but was not all bad either. I loved SSK right up until everyone was found alive, which I don't think was all Reilly's fault. Zacks death was sad but phenomenal drama. Peter and Kristian rocked their s/l and it was indeed written by Reilly.

I have not liked a single show or s/l that Dena has written. I liked the two weeks during the olympics which is rumored to have been written by Ed Scott so indeed that doesn't count. I hate or strongly despise most of the characters that she finds interesting and have showcased during her tenure including Chelsea, Daniel, Stephanie, Max, Morgan, Morgans father, whoever he was, Ava, Melanie, and Rafe. I am nearly through with Sami, EJ and Nicole as well as they are taking up all of the oxygen in the darn room.

Dena is awful!
She has been awful since the start!
She will remain awful!
Even after I leave on January 24. :blah:
:hail: :hail: :hail:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply