Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Spoilers for wk of 11/24; merged threads
Topic Started: Nov 9 2008, 11:10 PM (2,928 Views)
OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Kenny
Nov 9 2008, 11:51 PM
fenderbabe
Nov 9 2008, 11:46 PM
Kate actually gets a party? Like...a real one? I've got to say, that's one thing I desperately miss on this show. Parties, weddings, and all that fun stuff were everyone dresses up and shit actually happens.
I don't like parties unless they involve ball gowns and snazzy up-do's.

Kate's party will probably be some lame shit-o party at the Pub, LoL.
LOL, I think you are right.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

fenderbabe

Kenny
Nov 9 2008, 11:51 PM
fenderbabe
Kate actually gets a party? Like...a real one? I've got to say, that's one thing I desperately miss on this show. Parties, weddings, and all that fun stuff were everyone dresses up and shit actually happens.
I don't like parties unless they involve ball gowns and snazzy up-do's.

Kate's party will probably be some lame shit-o party at the Pub, LoL.
Wah, must you ruin everything? The Brady Pub hurts, because I know it's true. Days is too damn poor to have parties or balls anymore (hee). Hell, the cost in hairspray alone it takes to throw an all-out-bash would send them over the edge.

*sigh*

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jarlena4Eva
Member Avatar
Jarlena-Holic

Where is Marlena/John, Bo/Hope, Steve/Kayla, Tony/Anna?? Where are the vets! These are November Sweeps. They need to put on the characters that people actually want to see!!! There stories were good and then they put them to a hault. Just my opinion though.

Deleted User
Deleted User

maggs
Nov 10 2008, 12:00 AM
Where is Marlena/John, Bo/Hope, Steve/Kayla, Tony/Anna?? Where are the vets! These are November Sweeps. They need to put on the characters that people actually want to see!!! There stories were good and then they put them to a hault. Just my opinion though.
I didn't even realize they had actual stories to begin with. LOL
Quote Post Goto Top

brimike

I'm not sure why anybody thinks this is a head writer thing. It doesn't matter who is writing the show, these vets on this show are ridiculously expensive, especially after Reilly's original pen skyrocketed them so high into the demos. Sure, a few have had to take a pay cut, but not that much. It's why they'll be gone for months - the show's budget just can't support them anymore, but Corday/NBC also know if they cut them loose, they can kiss the whole show goodbye. It's a no-win situation.

ericfan400

the only thing that sound interesting is the Nicole scenes
Edited by ericfan400, Nov 10 2008, 12:12 AM.

ericfan400

maggs
Nov 10 2008, 12:00 AM[/quote
I didn't even realize they had actual stories to begin with. LOL

:funny:

that a good one. I loved it. I can't stop laughing
Edited by ericfan400, Nov 10 2008, 12:11 AM.

Mason
Member Avatar

The vets being on the backburner wouldn't be so hard to swallow if the stories being featured so heavily right now didn't suck so damn much.

Ellie

brimike
Nov 10 2008, 12:04 AM
I'm not sure why anybody thinks this is a head writer thing. It doesn't matter who is writing the show, these vets on this show are ridiculously expensive, especially after Reilly's original pen skyrocketed them so high into the demos. Sure, a few have had to take a pay cut, but not that much. It's why they'll be gone for months - the show's budget just can't support them anymore, but Corday/NBC also know if they cut them loose, they can kiss the whole show goodbye. It's a no-win situation.
I understand what you're saying, but I think it is in part a head writer thing. Reilly's pen and the vets' talent got them so high in the demos. Dena's pen gets them nowhere. In other words, it wouldn't be a no-win situation if there were a writer capable of creating a story for the vets which would showcase their talent, much as Reilly did. However, Dena is incapable of writing an interesting story for anyone, which brings the ratings down, which presumably brings the budget down, etc.

brimike

Oh, I agree, Ellie. Completely.

However, Days is caught in this awful vicious cycle now, where the numbers go down, and they play John/Marlena, Bo/Hope, Steve/Kayla four or five days a week for a few months (when they can only afford them one day a week each, really).. and then they have no choice but to backburner them for awhile. It wasn't just a Hogan thing or just a Dena thing.

Yes, if the show just went balls out and played them in MAJOR front-burner story that was thrilling and original and unexpected, then sure - fans would return, more money would come in, and the budget will go up. But unfortunately, they just keep going round and round (and have for about three years now), until they just end up being flushed. But it really doesn't matter who the head writer is - there's an accountant in the corner saying "You need to take these characters out of these breakdowns"
Edited by brimike, Nov 10 2008, 12:25 AM.

Ellie

^^ Thanks - sounds like we're agreeing. Unfortunately the only solution to the issue is for Days to hire a talented writer (and allow that person to use the vets at the outset, as you're saying), and I've lost almost any hope of that happening - especially where Corday seems to be the only one enjoying Dena's storylines.

Ellie

About Nicole losing the baby, I think what bothers me the most is not that this might be a recycled story from 96, but that I think there were a lot of fans rooting for Nicole to have that baby. It just seems like such typical Dena - finally get the viewers slightly excited about something, and then pull the rug out from under them.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Let's just cancel Days of Our Lives and create a new soap with a bigger budget starring Deidre, Drake, Peter and Kristian. We need some sort of soap opera bailout!

Stephen and Mary Beth can go, unfortunately. I almost always forget they're even on the show until someone mentions them.

Of course, the budget at Days would be helped immensely if they didn't have so many useless characters on the show to begin with. Dr. Daniel, anyone?

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

Thanks, Angie!

daisysmommy

brimike
Nov 9 2008, 11:20 PM
I'm so over dead babies on daytime.

ETA: And the live ones that replace them.
These fuckers are on Ameritrade all day and just plucking random old Kristen Blake scripts from 1996.
IDIOTS!

AND WTFAJ,M,B,H, S &K?

daisysmommy

fenderbabe
Quote:

Sami escaped and checked out a nearby convent. She met Sister Teresa and told the nun her name was Colleen.

Oh, you've got to be kidding me. Am I supposed to believe that all nuns know each other? Do they have a secret handshake too? WHY are the reminding us of that bullshit?

Philip being around Melanie and Melanie being around Philip makes me dislike them both. So, that's just peachy.

I've never been so happy to read about a miscarriage. This will be good, and I'm actually not going to fight the "Nicole is now a bona fide crazy bitch" direction this story is taking. At least it's interesting and a change of pace....sort of.

WTF is a post-chemo party for lung cancer? Babies dying, autism, cancer...it's more depressing than the news.

EJole
Member Avatar
BANNED

NOOOOOOO!! NIKKI CAN'T LOSE HER BABY!! I HATE THE WRITERS!!!!! THEY BROUGHT SOME STUPID BRADY ALONG, AND KILLED HER LITTLE SUNSHINE!!! WTF IS THAT!!!??!?!? DANA SUCKS, AND SHE'S GONNA SUCK
MORE, IF THEY DO THE KRISTEN-STORYLINE!

(FUCKING STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

brimike
Nov 10 2008, 12:04 AM
Exactly.

The vets can never be used the way they were again, It's just not possible in the current soap climate and Days fans should be lucky because it's basically Days and Y&R who still have a huge chunk of vets still active and in stories. Even if you cut the so called "dead weight" (which is subjective), the budgets are not even close to what they were. It's just not happening. That is why the show can;t do what it did this year. From January-April, it was pretty much nonstop vets and then they used them enough in Spring and Summer that by time they hit August, they looked at the budget and actor guarantees and realizes they had to cut back. The show in 2009 needs to be well-balanced from the start and I think as long as you have stability behind the scenes it can happen because you can map out the whole year and decide when to play each story, character, etc. However, any kind if interference can screw with that. I've known since late August this would happen and I warned people in March it would. It's funny how the cries for balance go quiet when its's nonstop vets and everyone else getting backburnered but when it's the other way around, it's an issue. Everyone deserves their time. Look back at C&B's tenure. They involved EVERYONE. Did everyone have a story" No but everyone was either in one or supporting one and was getting ample airtime. No one character or couple dominated. That model is the one that is needed here.

Now, Days was laying on the "miracle baby" and "Nicole really wants this baby" stuff so I'm not shocked by this. That and the word "heartache" mentioned in relation to her in the promo and her constant pains. I don't like it because I wanted Nicole to finally find some happiness but many wanted her to be old school Nicole so here you go. Ari will rock this though and it looks like Martsolf will be tested right off the bat here. This must be the emotional scenes Ari talked about. It sounds good though and at least the story is continuing to build to something. The one thing Days has been lacking in the last few years is stories that build over time until they reach payoffs. There have been so many dropped stories and regime changes and so on and now I'm so thankful for the current stability because it's allowing stories to build and go somewhere. I wouldn't mind if Nicole goes a Kristen-like route as long as they keep her redeemable. I think Ari herself probably can and I think the reason why Dena tapped into Nicole's softer side so much this year was to help her along in this plot so I think it will be ok. It does burn me that Sami gets to have her kid and Nicole gets screwed...again but oh well. I think the scenario Drew mentioned is plausible and interesting. At least there won;'t be a ripoff of OLTL's current story.

I read the Sami/Rafe stuff and it sounded fine until I read Sami tells the nun her name is "Colleen." Two days ago, I mentioned being frightened as hell when I read "Sami" and "convent" in the same line and now this? It's like Santeen coming back to haunt us LOL. Glad we get more Hilda though.

I wouldn't worry about Philip/Melanie. Again, I think they are going to end up using each other or her using him. That and she is going to cause problems for him and Stephanie. Chelsea/Max...eh. I don't want them but whatever.

Glad Maggie is so involved. The Chelsea/Melanie fight sounds great. Look forward to Kate's party and the Lucas/Chloe/Brady stuff actually intrigues me.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Nov 10 2008, 01:35 AM.

Nicole Walker

I wanted Nicole to have her baby! DAMN. However, I can't see her faking a pregnancy since Brady knows she lost the baby. Poor Nicole she really wanted this baby.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Nov 9 2008, 11:33 PM
brimike
Nov 9 2008, 11:27 PM
Kenny
Nov 9 2008, 11:23 PM
She loses the baby (YAY!) but keeps the truth from EJ? Why? Is she gonna steal Sami's baby and pass it off as her own or something stupid?

I have a feeling that she's about to stumble upon Kristen's old pregnancy pillow and try it on for herself...
I thought the same thing, Kenny.

It's just been done way too much lately. Babe and Miranda, Tess and the Marcie/Starr baby, Gwen and Johnny... it's just so tired.
I agree.

Baby stories are so last decade.
LOL what isn't?

The problem with soaps (and even primetime shows) is that they've been on for so long, everything is been there, done that. They can't even go supernatural anymore because the audience rebels against that now and so much of that has even been done. The only thing they can do is take the traditional and out a different spin on it and make it interesting at this point.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply