Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Spoilers for wk of 11/24; merged threads
Topic Started: Nov 9 2008, 11:10 PM (2,701 Views)
brimike

PhoenixRising05
Nov 10 2008, 01:32 AM
brimike
Nov 10 2008, 12:04 AM
I'm not sure why anybody thinks this is a head writer thing. It doesn't matter who is writing the show, these vets on this show are ridiculously expensive, especially after Reilly's original pen skyrocketed them so high into the demos. Sure, a few have had to take a pay cut, but not that much. It's why they'll be gone for months - the show's budget just can't support them anymore, but Corday/NBC also know if they cut them loose, they can kiss the whole show goodbye. It's a no-win situation.
Exactly.

The vets can never be used the way they were again, It's just not possible in the current soap climate and Days fans should be lucky because it's basically Days and Y&R who still have a huge chunk of vets still active and in stories. Even if you cut the so called "dead weight" (which is subjective), the budgets are not even close to what they were. It's just not happening. That is why the show can;t do what it did this year. From January-April, it was pretty much nonstop vets and then they used them enough in Spring and Summer that by time they hit August, they looked at the budget and actor guarantees and realizes they had to cut back. The show in 2009 needs to be well-balanced from the start and I think as long as you have stability behind the scenes it can happen because you can map out the whole year and decide when to play each story, character, etc.
And in any other situation, PR, I'm totally with you. Except this is a head writer who only plans about eight weeks in advance.

What I wouldn't give for a meticulously thought-out year long plan. Sadly, those days are gone as well...
Edited by brimike, Nov 10 2008, 01:41 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

brimike
Nov 10 2008, 01:35 AM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 10 2008, 01:32 AM
brimike
Nov 10 2008, 12:04 AM
I'm not sure why anybody thinks this is a head writer thing. It doesn't matter who is writing the show, these vets on this show are ridiculously expensive, especially after Reilly's original pen skyrocketed them so high into the demos. Sure, a few have had to take a pay cut, but not that much. It's why they'll be gone for months - the show's budget just can't support them anymore, but Corday/NBC also know if they cut them loose, they can kiss the whole show goodbye. It's a no-win situation.
Exactly.

The vets can never be used the way they were again, It's just not possible in the current soap climate and Days fans should be lucky because it's basically Days and Y&R who still have a huge chunk of vets still active and in stories. Even if you cut the so called "dead weight" (which is subjective), the budgets are not even close to what they were. It's just not happening. That is why the show can;t do what it did this year. From January-April, it was pretty much nonstop vets and then they used them enough in Spring and Summer that by time they hit August, they looked at the budget and actor guarantees and realizes they had to cut back. The show in 2009 needs to be well-balanced from the start and I think as long as you have stability behind the scenes it can happen because you can map out the whole year and decide when to play each story, character, etc. However, any kind if interference can screw with that. I've known since late August this would happen and I warned people in March it would. It's funny how the cries for balance go quiet when its's nonstop vets and everyone else getting backburnered but when it's the other way around, it's an issue. Everyone deserves their time. Look back at C&B's tenure. They involved EVERYONE. Did everyone have a story" No but everyone was either in one or supporting one and was getting ample airtime. No one character or couple dominated. That model is the one that is needed here.

Now, Days was laying on the "miracle baby" and "Nicole really wants this baby" stuff so I'm not shocked by this. I don't like it because I wanted Nicole to finally find some happiness but many wanted her to be old school Nicole so here you go. Ari will rock this though and it looks like Martsolf will be tested right off the bat here. This must be the emotional scenes Ari talked about. It sounds good though and at least the story is continuing to build to something. The one thing Days has been lacking in the last few years is stories that build over time until they reach payoffs. There have been so many dropped stories and regime changes and so on and now I'm so thankful for the current stability because it's allowing stories to build and go somewhere. I wouldn't mind if Nicole goes a Kristen-like route as long as they keep her redeemable. I think Ari herself probably can and I think the reason why Dena tapped into Nicole's softer side so much this year was to help her along in this plot so I think it will be ok. It does burn me that Sami gets to have her kid and Nicole gets screwed...again but oh well. I think the scenario Drew mentioned is plausible and interesting. At least there won;'t be a ripoff of OLTL's current story.

I read the Sami/Rafe stuff and it sounded fine until I read Sami tells the nun her name is "Colleen." Two days ago, I mentioned being frightened as hell when I read "Sami" and "convent" in the same line and now this? It's like Santeen coming back to haunt us LOL. Glad we get more Hilda though.

I wouldn't worry about Philip/Melanie. Again, I think they are going to end up using each other or her using him. That and she is going to cause problems for him and Stephanie. Chelsea/Max...eh. I don't want them but whatever.

Glad Maggie is so involved. The Chelsea/Melanie fight sounds great. Look forward to Kate's party and the Lucas/Chloe/Brady stuff actually intrigues me.
And in any other situation, PR, I'm totally with you. Except this is a head writer who only plans about eight weeks in advance.

What I wouldn't give for a meticulously thought-out year long plan. Sadly, those days are gone as well...
Really? James Scott just said he was told the next 13 months of story. I was thinking that is probably because they are afraid he will leave so they are trying to persuade him not to but, nonetheless, all the same.

Most soaps do that because they are petrified of fan reaction now. That is why they change gears and drop stories so much. I think Higley and co do have a plan now. I'm seeing it in what is happening. However, I think they only have like you said around 8 weeks or cemented in place and the rest is just general outlines and so on just in case they have to drop something or whatever.

That is the problem with soaps today. TPTB get too jumpy. They are too scared to commit and stay the course. There is no more risk-taking. It's all being played safe and it's alot of over-reacting. Sometimes you just have to stick with it and hope for the best and, if it fails in the end, then you do what you have to in regards to damage done and so on.

brimike

If it's thirteen months he was given (which I'm not buying yet, sorry)... then he was given the end game. What they're building to. There is no thirteen months of story... there is just what the plan is for November Sweeps, and then spinning wheels until they get there.

I know I sound like the Cynic-Who-Won't-Stop... I'm not trying to be the guy who pisses on everyone's parade, I swear I'm not. I just can't believe that somebody who had little regard for long story in her last two gigs is suddenly churning out page upon page of complex, detailed planned out storytelling.

Kenny
Member Avatar

brimike
That's one thing I have to give JER credit for. When his work wasn't constantly interfered with, he always had a long-term vision. There was always a plan... always a method to his madness. I think you could've gone to him at any time from 1993 - 1997 and asked him where each and every character would be in two years, and he would've been able to give you a definitive answer.

Those days are gone though. Now it seems like the show is stuck in a constant limbo, jumping from headwriter to headwriter as the producers interfere with story and everything is changed midstream. Nothing is allowed to build anymore. It seems like we're always stuck in the initial stages of a storyline, but rather than watching it play out to climax, it always ends up fizzling out with no real payoff or resolution.

It also bugs me how we're constantly cheated out of the "moments." You know? The moments we all wait for. The moments where a character learns a secret... or a lie is revealed... or a betrayal is discovered. Soap operas are all about building to those moments, making the audience wait for it, yearn for it and then squeal with satisfaction when those moments finally blossom. However, those moments are never built towards anymore. The ride is no longer half the fun, and 95% of the time, neither is the destination. We don't get those "moments" anymore, and when we do, they almost never pack the punch that they should (and could) with a more capable writing team. JER was the last Days headwriter to truly master this. He always left you on the edge of your seat, waiting for those high-stakes moments which never failed to pay off in the end.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Your fine, brimike, I understand what your saying. I think they just did that for James because he's been vocal about the writing for himself and they want to keep him.

As I said, they probably presented him with what direction they are going in, which is fine.

To me, a long-term vision doesn't even have to be written down. As a team, you just have to have an idea of what you want and where you want to go. You all have to be on the same page and I think that Higley and co are now. You can see that much onscreen as things have direction now.

EJole
Member Avatar
BANNED

DANASUCKSDANASUCKSDANASUCKS!! SHE IS THE WORST WRITER EVER, IF THIS NICOLE-STORYLINE IS TRUE!!!

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Nov 10 2008, 01:40 AM
Really? James Scott just said he was told the next 13 months of story.
LoL, I don't buy that for two seconds! James Scott claims to know what's going to happen on the show between now and December 2009?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ken Corday himself doesn't know what will happen between now and December 2009. I don't think even Jesus does. The all-knowing almighty God himself looks at Days of Our Lives and thinks, "What the fuck is going on?"

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Kenny
Nov 9 2008, 11:23 PM
She loses the baby (YAY!) but keeps the truth from EJ? Why? Is she gonna steal Sami's baby and pass it off as her own or something stupid?

I have a feeling that she's about to stumble upon Kristen's old pregnancy pillow and try it on for herself...
I called this happening a few weeks back, when Nicole had her first cramps..It does make the storyline a little more interesting.....At least Days seems to be trying to rip off one of its most popular stories and not a stupid one..

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Nov 10 2008, 01:46 AM
brimike
That's one thing I have to give JER credit for. When his work wasn't constantly interfered with, he always had a long-term vision. There was always a plan... always a method to his madness. I think you could've gone to him at any time from 1993 - 1997 and asked him where each and every character would be in two years, and he would've been able to give you a definitive answer.

Those days are gone though. Now it seems like the show is stuck in a constant limbo, jumping from headwriter to headwriter as the producers interfere with story and everything is changed midstream. Nothing is allowed to build anymore. It seems like we're always stuck in the initial stages of a storyline, but rather than watching it play out to climax, it always ends up fizzling out with no real payoff or resolution.

It also bugs me how we're constantly cheated out of the "moments." You know? The moments we all wait for. The moments where a character learns a secret... or a lie is revealed... or a betrayal is discovered. Soap operas are all about building to those moments, making the audience wait for it, yearn for it and then squeal with satisfaction when those moments finally blossom. However, those moments are never built towards anymore. The ride is no longer half the fun, and 95% of the time, neither is the destination. We don't get those "moments" anymore, and when we do, they almost never pack the punch that they should (and could) with a more capable writing team. JER was the last Days headwriter to truly master this. He always left you on the edge of your seat, waiting for those high-stakes moments which never failed to pay off in the end.
Your right and, really, the reason for that is twofold. The TPTB are one reason. However, the other is fans. Not every fan but a good bulk of them lost patience. They no longer want to wait anymore. Some still do but it's rare. Hell, just going into spoiler threads (not necessarily on here) you see people wanting a payoff right away. I don't know when that started but it was early in the 2000's and since then the show's sped the pace up too much. That is why you miss critical story beats and why many shows have run out of ideas and keep rehashing, half the time without any new spin on things now.

I don't think JER's style can work now. I think you can build long-term story but you can't make audiences wait years. What JER did in the 90's can't be done again, regardless of how good the writer is. Many just don't have the patience it seems.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Nov 10 2008, 01:50 AM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 10 2008, 01:40 AM
Really? James Scott just said he was told the next 13 months of story.
LoL, I don't buy that for two seconds! James Scott claims to know what's going to happen on the show between now and December 2009?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ken Corday himself doesn't know what will happen between now and December 2009. I don't think even Jesus does. The all-knowing almighty God himself looks at Days of Our Lives and thinks, "What the fuck is going on?"
Hey, he said it himself in the interview LOL.

It's plausible if they simply told him where they were going with it.

brimike

^^^ I don't disagree with any of this. Those who loved their long-term story bailed on soaps when they started speeding up their pace to move plot quicker, and those who don't like long-term story aren't really long-term fans and tend to drift in and out of the show. Either way, viewers are lost. I agree that that style of storytelling... while it's my personal favorite... does not have the same audience it used to. Sure, those of us who spend time online studying nuance can be vocal on here. But let's face facts - we are not the majority of this audience.

I'm not sure who the majority is anymore, to be perfectly honest. But I know it ain't us.

marisol40

I just want to know where in the world are they going with this whole Luloe storyline?? Getting engaged, after so much has been made of Chloe not wanting to do the whole stepmom thing. That's a disaster waiting to happen. Where does Brady fit in?? Does he get back with Chloe or will he continue to babysit Nicole through her madness?

Kenny
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
Nov 10 2008, 01:51 AM
Kenny
Nov 9 2008, 11:23 PM
She loses the baby (YAY!) but keeps the truth from EJ? Why? Is she gonna steal Sami's baby and pass it off as her own or something stupid?

I have a feeling that she's about to stumble upon Kristen's old pregnancy pillow and try it on for herself...
I called this happening a few weeks back, when Nicole had her first cramps..It does make the storyline a little more interesting.....At least Days seems to be trying to rip off one of its most popular stories and not a stupid one..
I won't be excited about this until I see Nicole stumble upon Kristen's infamous pregnancy pillow in her bedroom at DiMansion, LoL. That might make me a little wet in the pants.

After that, we'll see. I don't have high hopes for anything Higley pens. I'll watch (or... er, follow via spoilers) with an open mind though.

Nicole Walker

Why couldn't Nicole have her baby? Why did they even make her pregnant, i'd rather her not been pregnant at all. Just so dumb and to give Sami another kid is so annoying. Nicole wanted her baby. Sami has not even expressed any joy over being pregnant it just makes me so mad that Dena screwed over a woman that actually was happy about being preggers and might have been her only chance at having a kid. I hate it but I knew it was a possibility. Just hoped that Dena would surprise us but I guess not. I assume EJ will learn the truth from Brady cause Brady will think Nicole told him. I'm sure Stephano will kick her out of the mansion and I wouldn't be surprised if she moved in with Brady.
Edited by Nicole Walker, Nov 10 2008, 01:58 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Exactly brimike

And if your judged things by message boards, you would think Days was the last place soap with so many people unhappy yet in last week's ratings it's up in every category (at least that has been posted) and in a month where hardly anything happened, it did very well numbers-wise. I don't put stock in ratings but I'm just pointing out that we all clearly don't reflect the audience at all. I don't think what most of us wants has been reflected in the ratings in any fashion in years.

Like you said brimike, who knows who the audience is and what they want. I don't even know if events are what they want anymore since even those don't get as much response as they used to.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Nov 10 2008, 02:22 AM.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

marisol40
Nov 10 2008, 01:55 AM
I just want to know where in the world are they going with this whole Luloe storyline?? Getting engaged, after so much has been made of Chloe not wanting to do the whole stepmom thing. That's a disaster waiting to happen. Where does Brady fit in?? Does he get back with Chloe or will he continue to babysit Nicole through her madness?
Indeed, 'tis stupid. I haven't (mercifully) heard either Lucas or Chloe say they loved each other; where is this proposal coming from? Why in the world would Chloe accept? I mean, I realize we don't know if she does, but if I can see no reason at all why she would even consider it. Of course, I have no idea why she spent even 30 seconds with him, so the whole storyline is baffling.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Nicole losing her baby, actually makes this storyline more interesting....Even though a baby stealing has been done before, they end up being exciting stories..So i really hope Nicole ends up with Sami's baby somehow and tries to pass it off as hers..

Kenny
Member Avatar

Nicole Dimera
Nov 10 2008, 01:56 AM
Why couldn't Nicole have her baby? Why did they even make her pregnant, i'd rather her not been pregnant at all. Just so dumb and to give Sami another kid is so annoying. Nicole wanted her baby.
LoL, soaps aren't about happily-ever-afters. Having a baby with EJ, getting married and living a life of luxury would've been her happily-ever-after. That's why she's not getting it.

Instead, she's going to lose her baby, wear a pillow on her belly for months (to fool EJ) until she finally "gives birth" and comes home with some baby that she bought or stole from someone else (probably Sami) that she'll pass off as her own. She'll probably kidnap Sami and hold her captive until she gives birth, then take the baby or some shit.

It's cliche and been done before, but it could be fun if written correctly. I just don't have faith in Higley. She has a knack for taking something that could and should be exciting and making it a boring mess.

lene
Member Avatar

OMG!
Max and Chelsea, back on?

:rockon:

:cheer:

:popcorn:

SO HAPPY! I've been waiting since the day they broke up to get back together. I never gave up hope.
:cheers:

hopefully, they'll become a couple again!

Nicole Walker

Nicole didn't have to lose her baby for her to have conflict, problems or an interesting storyline. They could have wrote something good but they chose the easy way out. I also don't see her pretending to be pregnant since Brady knows that she lost the baby. I also believe that Sami will give her baby to the covent when it's born and come back to Salem without a baby and Rafe will keep her secret.
Edited by Nicole Walker, Nov 10 2008, 02:35 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply