Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thom Racina Interview; " I would go back as head writer"
Topic Started: Nov 25 2008, 10:47 PM (5,136 Views)
somersetfan
Member Avatar

http://daytimeconfidential.com/2008/11/dc-exclusive-john-black-co-creator-reacts-to-days-shocking-firings-of-deidre-hall-and-drake-h

I don't know if anyone posted about this yet? Daytime Confidential interviewed Thom Racina about the Days firings and he said he would return as head writer.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

I would LOVE for him to return to write the show! Sadly, it'll probably never happen, though - especially since he's dared to criticize Corday.
Edited by Mason, Nov 25 2008, 10:58 PM.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I have never heard of him! I never really paid attention to who the writers were until the last few years though.

ginababe
BANNED

How do we make this happen?

zyona

somersetfan
Nov 25 2008, 10:47 PM
http://www.daytimeconfidential.com/2008/11/dc-exclusive-john-black-co-creator-reacts-to-days-shocking-firing-of-deidre-hall-and-drake-h

I don't know if anyone posted about this yet? Daytime Confidential interviewed Thom Racina about the Days firings and he said he would return as head writer.
I think he said he will go back as a script writer not head writer.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Angie79
Nov 25 2008, 10:55 PM
I have never heard of him! I never really paid attention to who the writers were until the last few years though.
He was a Co-HW/HW back in the 80's.

And hmm...I didn't listen but it would be interesting if he said he'd go back as head writer. I'd welcome him back, but I do recall him also saying recently that he'd NEVER HW a soap again.

hops
Member Avatar

Thanks! Too bad he hadn't been made an offer last year.

Deleted User
Deleted User

daysfan
Nov 25 2008, 11:30 PM
Angie79
Nov 25 2008, 10:55 PM
He was a Co-HW/HW back in the 80's.

And hmm...I didn't listen but it would be interesting if he said he'd go back as head writer. I'd welcome him back, but I do recall him also saying recently that he'd NEVER HW a soap again.
He said he would only be a headwriter writer if his writing partner was made headwriter with him.
Quote Post Goto Top

Jiggs
Member Avatar

hops
Nov 26 2008, 12:02 AM
Or Sheri Anderson.

King
Member Avatar

I am unsure any writer will ever work because it's Corday's way or the highway.

daysfan
Member Avatar

King
Nov 26 2008, 12:51 AM
I am unsure any writer will ever work because it's Corday's way or the highway.
Sadly, over the years, I think every writer has been scared away from Days, or they've worked on it and have had too many clashes with Corday to ever go back. They've gone through almost every HW in the book, and many, many writers out there won't dare touch it now. And I can't help but actually feel sympathy for alot of them, no matter how bad they are. I even feel a bit of sympathy for Dena, I think she's probably endured more chaos than the average HW, even at Days.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Nov 26 2008, 12:49 AM
hops
Nov 26 2008, 12:02 AM
Or Sheri Anderson.
The most overrated writer in the shows history, no thanks.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Thom Racina sucks, and his writing is so 80's that it wouldn't translate well into today's soap opera environment. But, in a way, DAYS is still stuck in the 80's with the whole supercouple bullshit (not trying to offend any fans), but supercouples are extremely limited, and storylines for couples like that tend to be extremely farfetched. Racina is a fan of farfetched stories. DAYS was creatively the biggest GH rip-off of the 80's, but while GH outgrew that supercouple stuff and progressed into a more contemporary show, DAYS had tried too hard over the years to recapture that supercouple heyday of the 80's, and it just gets tiring after a while.

DAYS needs someone like a Wendy Riche (former GH EP), who came into GH in the early 90's, totally redefined that show while paying attention to its complex history, but brought it into a contemporary era where it didn't have to succeed by trying to recapture past glory days.

That's my opinion of course...

Deleted User
Deleted User

Y&RWorldTurner
Nov 26 2008, 02:39 AM
Thom Racina sucks, and his writing is so 80's that it wouldn't translate well into today's soap opera environment. But, in a way, DAYS is still stuck in the 80's with the whole supercouple bullshit (not trying to offend any fans), but supercouples are extremely limited, and storylines for couples like that tend to be extremely farfetched. Racina is a fan of farfetched stories. DAYS was creatively the biggest GH rip-off of the 80's, but while GH outgrew that supercouple stuff and progressed into a more contemporary show, DAYS had tried too hard over the years to recapture that supercouple heyday of the 80's, and it just gets tiring after a while.

DAYS needs someone like a Wendy Riche (former GH EP), who came into GH in the early 90's, totally redefined that show while paying attention to its complex history, but brought it into a contemporary era where it didn't have to succeed by trying to recapture past glory days.

That may be the case but he'd be a good writer to finish Days of our Lives, IMO. We all know this show doesn't have a future, not a long one anyway.
Quote Post Goto Top

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Amello
Nov 26 2008, 02:46 AM
Y&RWorldTurner

That may be the case but he'd be a good writer to finish Days of our Lives, IMO. We all know this show doesn't have a future, not a long one anyway.
Yeah, but how do we know he'd be a good writer to finish DAYS off?

Racina's stories in the 80's had too much of a sci-fi influence, were too couple-centric, and TOTALLY befitting of that era. He might update his writing style to match today's world, but who knows.

Anyone can write a decent final episode, but I don't think anyone wants one of the show's final big storylines to be Bo and Hope saving the world just before Stefano deep-freezes it or some bullshit.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Y&RWorldTurner
Nov 26 2008, 02:51 AM
Amello
Nov 26 2008, 02:46 AM
Y&RWorldTurner

Yeah, but how do we know he'd be a good writer to finish DAYS off?

Racina's stories in the 80's had too much of a sci-fi influence, were too couple-centric, and TOTALLY befitting of that era. He might update his writing style to match today's world, but who knows.

Anyone can write a decent final episode, but I don't think anyone wants one of the show's final big storylines to be Bo and Hope saving the world just before Stefano deep-freezes it or some bullshit.
With Days fans, you'd be surprised LOL
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

You know, I like him. I really do but I have to agree that his style may lead to something similar to JER's last run in terms of being way too campy and over the top. I think the times we are living in would make him strive even more to be more "out there." However, his writing in the 80's is what alot of fans crave so who knows. I'm not against giving anyone a try and I would certainly welcome him back to the writing team in a position.

I'm not against what he does. I just worry about any former writer coming back to Days except for B&C. I just feel they will either be stuck in the past or want to recreate their former golden age with the younger cast members. I would rather give someone new who knows the show a shot.

Ponz
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner

I don't get the argument that 80's DAYS was "campy". Yes, there were wacky sci-fi plots but the show was overall pretty grounded and character-driven. They integrated subjects like child abuse (Shane/Kim/Victor), adultery (Victor/Shawn/Caroline/Bo), adoption/spousal abuse (Steve, Adrienne, Duke, Jo) into major long-term plots. Gimmicks like the "Three Prisms" were used to set-up ensemble adventures but the stories weren't about the gimmicks. Also, the supercouples worked precisely because the writers weren't obsessed with them and were careful to develop strong individual characters. Many of the most compelling 80's relationship (Stefano/Tony, Bo/Victor, Bo/Roman, Jack/Steve) were non-romantic in nature. Anderson/Racina's writing may have been "campy" at a superficial level but it had too much depth to be compared to the LCD idiocy of JER, Langan, SSM and Tomlin.
Edited by Ponz, Nov 26 2008, 09:56 AM.

Kyrai

Ponz
Nov 26 2008, 09:56 AM
Y&RWorldTurner

I don't get the argument that 80's DAYS was "campy". Yes, there were wacky sci-fi plots but the show was overall pretty grounded and character-driven. They integrated subjects like child abuse (Shane/Kim/Victor), adultery (Victor/Shawn/Caroline/Bo), adoption/spousal abuse (Steve, Adrienne, Duke, Jo) into major long-term plots. Gimmicks like the "Three Prisms" were used to set-up ensemble adventures but the stories weren't about the gimmicks. Also, the supercouples worked precisely because the writers weren't obsessed with them and were careful to develop strong individual characters. Many of the most compelling 80's relationship (Stefano/Tony, Bo/Victor, Bo/Roman, Jack/Steve) were non-romantic in nature. Anderson/Racina's writing may have been "campy" at a superficial level but it had too much depth to be compared to the LCD idiocy of JER, Langan, SSM and Tomlin.
Exactly! The 80s had good stories that set up not only an enjoyable story, but a backdrop for love and romance. It was a nice blend, especially when done well.

Imo, Days needs an identity of some kind. Right now it's basically just never ending triangles and partner-swapping for the younger characters.

shayera

I can't see the linked story. It says page not found.

Did anyone copy and paste before it was removed?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply