Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thom Racina Interview; " I would go back as head writer"
Topic Started: Nov 25 2008, 10:47 PM (4,820 Views)
Ives
Member Avatar

Ponz
Nov 26 2008, 09:56 AM
Y&RWorldTurner
Nov 26 2008, 02:39 AM
Thom Racina sucks, and his writing is so 80's that it wouldn't translate well into today's soap opera environment. But, in a way, DAYS is still stuck in the 80's with the whole supercouple bullshit (not trying to offend any fans), but supercouples are extremely limited, and storylines for couples like that tend to be extremely farfetched. Racina is a fan of farfetched stories. DAYS was creatively the biggest GH rip-off of the 80's, but while GH outgrew that supercouple stuff and progressed into a more contemporary show, DAYS had tried too hard over the years to recapture that supercouple heyday of the 80's, and it just gets tiring after a while.

I don't get the argument that 80's DAYS was "campy". Yes, there were wacky sci-fi plots but the show was overall pretty grounded and character-driven. They integrated subjects like child abuse (Shane/Kim/Victor), adultery (Victor/Shawn/Caroline/Bo), adoption/spousal abuse (Steve, Adrienne, Duke, Jo) into major long-term plots. Gimmicks like the "Three Prisms" were used to set-up ensemble adventures but the stories weren't about the gimmicks. Also, the supercouples worked precisely because the writers weren't obsessed with them and were careful to develop strong individual characters. Many of the most compelling 80's relationship (Stefano/Tony, Bo/Victor, Bo/Roman, Jack/Steve) were non-romantic in nature. Anderson/Racina's writing may have been "campy" at a superficial level but it had too much depth to be compared to the LCD idiocy of JER, Langan, SSM and Tomlin.
I totally agree. I loved a lot of the stuff from the '80s and am a supercouple fan.

But I did not watch soaps for about a 15 year period until 2006. I was/am a HUGE fan of shows like Angel, Veronica Mars, Alias, and House MD. So it is not like I am stuck in a box wanting only a certain kind of show or writing. Why I loved these other shows mainly has to do with the sharp characterization and well-developed characters. Yeah, I really have nothing in common with a vampire like Angel but his need for redemption and self-acceptance is something we can all identify with. And as much as I would have loved to be like Sydney Bristow kicking butt on Alias, it was seeing her struggles with family situations and self-identity that made her so relatable to me as a character.

And I would say that the most interesting relationships on House are the non-romantic ones (House/Wilson and House/Foreman).

I watched Y&R for a few weeks last year because a roommate at the time was a huge fan. After 3 weeks, though, the majority of the characters all seemed to be kind of the same to me - nothing particularly compelling or unique. You could have substituted any of the women for another in the respective storyline and it would have seemed to have worked to me.

That is great that they want to bring up a new generation on Days and I understand why. But, IMO, I have seen very little character development, let alone consistency or relatability, in any of the younger characters. If they really want to end with a bang by just relying on the younger characters, they need to seriously focus on fleshing out the characters on a consistent basis. Putting them in compelling non-romantic relationships is a one way to do that.

Oh, and I think the Jack and Steve relationship was one of the most interesting relationships on the show - and the fact that the characters were played by two incredibly talented actors who owned their characters was a huge part of it. When I watch some of their old scenes together, I just can't imagine that kind of material being done on the show today, in particular because it is two male characters rather than a romantic relationship. I would say that most of the stuff done in that storyline would easily stand up with anything on prime time drama today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEdA-bMEM9U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kir_O5_E6U
Edited by Ives, Nov 27 2008, 12:08 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

shayera
Nov 26 2008, 10:12 AM
I can't see the linked story. It says page not found.

Did anyone copy and paste before it was removed?
http://daytimeconfidential.com/2008/11/dc-exclusive-john-black-co-creator-reacts-to-days-shocking-firings-of-deidre-hall-and-drake-h

(There was a typo in the link. The original post has been corrected as well.)

Shylock

Was he the dude responsible for that awesome Miami storyline? And the lead up to, fallout from, etc?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ponz
Nov 26 2008, 09:56 AM
Y&RWorldTurner
Nov 26 2008, 02:39 AM
Thom Racina sucks, and his writing is so 80's that it wouldn't translate well into today's soap opera environment. But, in a way, DAYS is still stuck in the 80's with the whole supercouple bullshit (not trying to offend any fans), but supercouples are extremely limited, and storylines for couples like that tend to be extremely farfetched. Racina is a fan of farfetched stories. DAYS was creatively the biggest GH rip-off of the 80's, but while GH outgrew that supercouple stuff and progressed into a more contemporary show, DAYS had tried too hard over the years to recapture that supercouple heyday of the 80's, and it just gets tiring after a while.

I don't get the argument that 80's DAYS was "campy". Yes, there were wacky sci-fi plots but the show was overall pretty grounded and character-driven. They integrated subjects like child abuse (Shane/Kim/Victor), adultery (Victor/Shawn/Caroline/Bo), adoption/spousal abuse (Steve, Adrienne, Duke, Jo) into major long-term plots. Gimmicks like the "Three Prisms" were used to set-up ensemble adventures but the stories weren't about the gimmicks. Also, the supercouples worked precisely because the writers weren't obsessed with them and were careful to develop strong individual characters. Many of the most compelling 80's relationship (Stefano/Tony, Bo/Victor, Bo/Roman, Jack/Steve) were non-romantic in nature. Anderson/Racina's writing may have been "campy" at a superficial level but it had too much depth to be compared to the LCD idiocy of JER, Langan, SSM and Tomlin.
I agree to an extent.

I think alot of the 80's worked because the canvas was new and fresh and those characters could be put through anything and it would be new and different. That is what I think the show is trying to do now. It knows most of the canvas is played out and the show needs another 80's like reinvention.

I think some of what Racina did could work now but I do think he would have to tone it down a bit because the 80's was like one supercouple adventure after the other. You are right in that there was a character-driven element too. I would give him a chance and even pair him with a good co-HW. That may be good.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I'm not so sure Days could survive another writer upheaval, even with Dena Higley there. There's just too much turmoil right now.

Mason

ladyofthelake
Nov 29 2008, 07:14 PM
I'm not so sure Days could survive another writer upheaval, even with Dena Higley there. There's just too much turmoil right now.
Well, they sure can't survive with her staying, so they might as well take a chance on someone new.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Mason
Nov 29 2008, 07:22 PM
ladyofthelake
Nov 29 2008, 07:14 PM
Well, they sure can't survive with her staying, so they might as well take a chance on someone new.
But she's not the sole main writer anymore, and I have a sneaking suspicion her "power" might be less and less as Whitsell takes over. Now, if Whitsell takes over 90% of the headwriter duties, then yes, they can probably afford to replace her. But until he's fully settled, I don't think we need any more drama backstage. Those poor actors probably can't take much more.
Edited by ladyofthelake, Nov 29 2008, 07:33 PM.

Mason

But does a change in writers really affect the actors that much? As long as they're getting scripts that they're being paid to memorize, I'm sure they won't complain too much.

Ellie

Mason
Nov 29 2008, 08:58 PM
But does a change in writers really affect the actors that much? As long as they're getting scripts that they're being paid to memorize, I'm sure they won't complain too much.
Agree - so many of the actors have dropped comments during interviews recently which tell me that they'd be pretty happy if there were to be a writing change.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Nov 26 2008, 02:06 AM
Jiggs
Nov 26 2008, 12:49 AM
hops
Nov 26 2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks! Too bad he hadn't been made an offer last year.
Or Sheri Anderson.
The most overrated writer in the shows history, no thanks.
If anyone is overrated it's Tom Casiello LOL

Jiggs
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Nov 26 2008, 03:12 AM
You know, I like him. I really do but I have to agree that his style may lead to something similar to JER's last run in terms of being way too campy and over the top. I think the times we are living in would make him strive even more to be more "out there." However, his writing in the 80's is what alot of fans crave so who knows. I'm not against giving anyone a try and I would certainly welcome him back to the writing team in a position.

I'm not against what he does. I just worry about any former writer coming back to Days except for B&C. I just feel they will either be stuck in the past or want to recreate their former golden age with the younger cast members. I would rather give someone new who knows the show a shot.

B&C were awful. They brought back Tony, claiming that it wasn't him that died in Aremid. What rubbish.

zyona

I just wish Dena will care about the show enough to resign, so the people who know how to write for the show will take over.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Nov 29 2008, 09:41 PM
Sindacco
Nov 26 2008, 02:06 AM
Jiggs
Nov 26 2008, 12:49 AM
hops
Nov 26 2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks! Too bad he hadn't been made an offer last year.
Or Sheri Anderson.
The most overrated writer in the shows history, no thanks.
If anyone is overrated it's Tom Casiello LOL
I agree but I see no point in comparing those two. He was part of the writing team for what, a year? She was on the show for more years and co-headwriter, yet she is the one giving all the credit.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Nov 29 2008, 09:44 PM
PhoenixRising05
You know, I like him. I really do but I have to agree that his style may lead to something similar to JER's last run in terms of being way too campy and over the top. I think the times we are living in would make him strive even more to be more "out there." However, his writing in the 80's is what alot of fans crave so who knows. I'm not against giving anyone a try and I would certainly welcome him back to the writing team in a position.

I'm not against what he does. I just worry about any former writer coming back to Days except for B&C. I just feel they will either be stuck in the past or want to recreate their former golden age with the younger cast members. I would rather give someone new who knows the show a shot.

B&C were awful. They brought back Tony, claiming that it wasn't him that died in Aremid. What rubbish.
So the only reason you didn't like C&B was because they rewrote a story which involved J&M?

ges
Member Avatar

Anyone that can hold a pen would be an improvement over Higley, imo.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ellie
Nov 29 2008, 09:32 PM
Mason
Nov 29 2008, 08:58 PM
Agree - so many of the actors have dropped comments during interviews recently which tell me that they'd be pretty happy if there were to be a writing change.
Crap, I tried to type a reply. Serves me right to try to use the flash. It erased everything. Oh, well, I'll try again.

OK, so people were celebrating when Hogan Sheffer was hired, and we all know how THAT turned out. As for Sherri Anderson...the more I read her name, the less likely I'll be enamoured with her. I want to find this shrine to Sherri Anderson that will guarantee a cure for my arthritis. :huh: ;) Seriously, just like what was said about this Thom Racina dude, Anderson's style of writing for the SUPERCOUPLE Posted Image JUST might not work with the show. Even if it did, she's the one who pushed the "aginging" Doug and Julie out for the new idea of John and Marlena (or Roman and Marlena. I can't keep these years straight anymore). She would probably be told to work with the existing cast, meaning, new supercouples of Chelsea and whomever, Stephanie and whomever, yada, yada.

Now, again, it's possible Dena is slowly getting whittled out by Whitsell. Or, like rumors have it, she's pissed at the cast cuts and will do another diva act and really quit. But, until Whitsell is settled, I'm still not sure it's a good idea to add more drama to the backstage at this point in time. Days has had drama for months now. The poor cast has gone through writing changes, probably got excited, only to get things shot down again. It's better to work with the devil you know than the devil you don't know, as they say. Let them get to know the devil Whitsell again before the Dena devil leaves. At the very least, if she goes, let's hope Whitsell keeps the current momentum going, even if it is crap. We should be getting tired of dropped storylines by now. Maybe a new writer could clean them up.

I wish they could take a page from OLTL's book. Yes, sometimes RC's character motives are weak, but he knows how to write great stories that tag-team and involve several characters. The whole Tary storyline that intertwined with Jessica's storyline. Some people liked the SL's and some didn't, but they sure got people involved. Now Jessica's storyline will get intertwined with Brody's. Ripple effects. That would be new and refreshing for Days.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Jiggs
PhoenixRising05

How is that any more rubbish than bringing Marlena or John back from the dead? Or any of Marlena's victims, til it was whitewashed that she was controlled so she could be the heroine again? I don't get the connection. Does it depend on which CHARACTER is brought back from the dead?

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

zyona
Nov 29 2008, 11:21 PM
I just wish Dena will care about the show enough to resign, so the people who know how to write for the show will take over.
I've heard that wish, too, and see how many writers we've gone through since Reilly? Why do you think Dena's replacement would be any better? And even if the writer was terrific, why do you think those who have quit watching the show would care? Unless they follow the Net or SOD, any potential soap viewer probably has no clue about writer changes except to see it on the screen.

I would love to see a turnaround as much as anyone. But I don't think Corday has it in him to make good writing choice decisions. And if he does, ithe clues point to him trying to put his own little mark on it.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Sindacco
Nov 30 2008, 05:53 AM
Jiggs
PhoenixRising05

So the only reason you didn't like C&B was because they rewrote a story which involved J&M?
Except when it brings them together or brings THEM back to life. Except this last time for poor John, of course. ;)

daysfan
Member Avatar

I like Sheri Anderson, she's better than alot we've had in recent years. I liked her work in the 80's and also in the 90's(her and JER weren't so bad Co-HWing together). But...I don't believe in all the hype she has. Because, I may beginning to sound like a broken record here and don't get me wrong I loved the 80's and the writing was most likely better back then, but in the 80's, she disgraced history and whatnot like other HWs.

I mean, I think she pretty much demolished the Horton family. Granted that was building up for awhile but she put some nails in their coffin.

And with DePriest, Racina(like them all alot but just bringing up some things), and whoever else, she brought on alot of new people. I loved alot of them but if I recall correctly she was a part of the regime that brought Bo, Hope, Steve, oh heck almost all the Bradys, Shane, etc etc.

Again I love those characters, but back THEN, to old fans, they WERE the newbies shoved down our throat. Along with many others. And if she came back to Days, she may either just continue on with the younger set and make them just like the other characters, or as others say, constant adventures or supercouples.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply