Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thom Racina Interview; " I would go back as head writer"
Topic Started: Nov 25 2008, 10:47 PM (5,139 Views)
CatherineEarnshaw

Sindacco
Nov 30 2008, 05:53 AM
Jiggs
Nov 29 2008, 09:44 PM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 26 2008, 03:12 AM
You know, I like him. I really do but I have to agree that his style may lead to something similar to JER's last run in terms of being way too campy and over the top. I think the times we are living in would make him strive even more to be more "out there." However, his writing in the 80's is what alot of fans crave so who knows. I'm not against giving anyone a try and I would certainly welcome him back to the writing team in a position.

I'm not against what he does. I just worry about any former writer coming back to Days except for B&C. I just feel they will either be stuck in the past or want to recreate their former golden age with the younger cast members. I would rather give someone new who knows the show a shot.

B&C were awful. They brought back Tony, claiming that it wasn't him that died in Aremid. What rubbish.
So the only reason you didn't like C&B was because they rewrote a story which involved J&M?
They created the alien twins..that is all I need to know.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

phloeishot
Member Avatar

Can't Tomlin just promote Whitesell to head writer and demote Dena?

daysfan
Member Avatar

CatherineEarnshaw
Nov 30 2008, 08:46 PM
Sindacco
Jiggs
PhoenixRising05
You know, I like him. I really do but I have to agree that his style may lead to something similar to JER's last run in terms of being way too campy and over the top. I think the times we are living in would make him strive even more to be more "out there." However, his writing in the 80's is what alot of fans crave so who knows. I'm not against giving anyone a try and I would certainly welcome him back to the writing team in a position.

I'm not against what he does. I just worry about any former writer coming back to Days except for B&C. I just feel they will either be stuck in the past or want to recreate their former golden age with the younger cast members. I would rather give someone new who knows the show a shot.

B&C were awful. They brought back Tony, claiming that it wasn't him that died in Aremid. What rubbish.
So the only reason you didn't like C&B was because they rewrote a story which involved J&M?
B&C actually IMO were VERY good, and a huge improvement over the previous HW: Langan.

The alien mess was horrid, but in their and any HW's(even Dena's) defense, all writers have their clunkers. No writer could be called perfect. There are some who have repeated clunkers, that aren't that very good...but there are some who are very good but have a bad story here and there. B&C were only there about a year but I felt they were very, very good. Probably the best HW tenure on Days of this century so far.

CatherineEarnshaw

daysfan
Nov 30 2008, 09:33 PM
CatherineEarnshaw
Sindacco
Jiggs
PhoenixRising05

B&C actually IMO were VERY good, and a huge improvement over the previous HW: Langan.

The alien mess was horrid, but in their and any HW's(even Dena's) defense, all writers have their clunkers. No writer could be called perfect. There are some who have repeated clunkers, that aren't that very good...but there are some who are very good but have a bad story here and there. B&C were only there about a year but I felt they were very, very good. Probably the best HW tenure on Days of this century so far.
faint praise imo

I will take Reilly myself. A lot of what he did was horrible when he came back but I liked some of it.

Kyrai

I would just like a writer who writes good stories.

I loved Doug and Julie but I did not have a huge problem with them being written out in the 80s because Sheri Anderson and company wrote good stories, pure and simple. She wrote interesting storylines that went on concurrently, often overlapping, and they kept me enthralled. I cared about the characters. They were people that I rooted for. That is what the show needs most. Good stories and characters that are worth rooting for. Bad guys who you root against, and even shades of gray guys you don't know how to root for.

Would I like for a good writer to write for the vets that I love? Of course, but the show needs good writing first and foremost. I'd prefer balance for the vets and younger actors. A bad writer who writes only for the vets is just as bad as a bad writer who writes just for the young characters.
Edited by Kyrai, Nov 30 2008, 09:59 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

daysfan
B&C were only there about a year but I felt they were very, very good. Probably the best HW tenure on Days of this century so far.
Co-sign.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Nov 30 2008, 05:52 AM
Jiggs
Nov 29 2008, 09:41 PM
Sindacco
Nov 26 2008, 02:06 AM
Jiggs
Nov 26 2008, 12:49 AM
hops
Nov 26 2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks! Too bad he hadn't been made an offer last year.
Or Sheri Anderson.
The most overrated writer in the shows history, no thanks.
If anyone is overrated it's Tom Casiello LOL
I agree but I see no point in comparing those two. He was part of the writing team for what, a year? She was on the show for more years and co-headwriter, yet she is the one giving all the credit.
Given all the credit for what? By whom? She only takes credit for what she wrote, and I see nothing wrong with taking credit for what you wrote, or had a part in writing.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Jiggs
PhoenixRising05

Did I say that? I gave one reason why they sucked. Another would be the alien twin story. Do I need to continue?

Jiggs
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Nov 30 2008, 07:12 AM
Jiggs
PhoenixRising05

How is that any more rubbish than bringing Marlena or John back from the dead? Or any of Marlena's victims, til it was whitewashed that she was controlled so she could be the heroine again? I don't get the connection. Does it depend on which CHARACTER is brought back from the dead?
What connection? I didn't make any kind of connection. :shrug:

Jiggs
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Nov 30 2008, 07:17 AM
Sindacco
Jiggs
PhoenixRising05

Except when it brings them together or brings THEM back to life. Except this last time for poor John, of course. ;)
Gosh, then I should love C&B since they ended Jope and made the baby Bo's right? Nope, still think they sucked. Got another quarter?

Jiggs
Member Avatar

CatherineEarnshaw
Sindacco
Jiggs
PhoenixRising05

LOL! Exactly! :D

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

daysfan
Nov 30 2008, 05:09 PM
I like Sheri Anderson, she's better than alot we've had in recent years. I liked her work in the 80's and also in the 90's(her and JER weren't so bad Co-HWing together). But...I don't believe in all the hype she has. Because, I may beginning to sound like a broken record here and don't get me wrong I loved the 80's and the writing was most likely better back then, but in the 80's, she disgraced history and whatnot like other HWs.

I mean, I think she pretty much demolished the Horton family. Granted that was building up for awhile but she put some nails in their coffin.

And with DePriest, Racina(like them all alot but just bringing up some things), and whoever else, she brought on alot of new people. I loved alot of them but if I recall correctly she was a part of the regime that brought Bo, Hope, Steve, oh heck almost all the Bradys, Shane, etc etc.

Again I love those characters, but back THEN, to old fans, they WERE the newbies shoved down our throat. Along with many others. And if she came back to Days, she may either just continue on with the younger set and make them just like the other characters, or as others say, constant adventures or supercouples.
Amen!! You covered everything I wanted to say and then some.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

daysfan
CatherineEarnshaw
Sindacco
Jiggs
PhoenixRising05

I agree again.

At the very least, they seemed to get the concept of having different generations in stories together. Plus, they used pretty much everyone in some way. No one was really backburnered, at least not for a long time during their tenure. They also wrote Hope's kidnapping, which was the last story on Days that truly surprised me. The show even cut down on spoilers back then. Billie's shooting, Hope's "death," Lexie's "death," and Larry being responsible for all pretty big surprises and it was nice that they had Larry behind it and not a Dimera.

Alos, as bad as the alien shit was, it actually gave birth to some interesting story.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 1 2008, 01:09 AM
daysfan
CatherineEarnshaw
Sindacco
Jiggs
PhoenixRising05

I agree again.

At the very least, they seemed to get the concept of having different generations in stories together. Plus, they used pretty much everyone in some way. No one was really backburnered, at least not for a long time during their tenure. They also wrote Hope's kidnapping, which was the last story on Days that truly surprised me. The show even cut down on spoilers back then. Billie's shooting, Hope's "death," Lexie's "death," and Larry being responsible for all pretty big surprises and it was nice that they had Larry behind it and not a Dimera.

Alos, as bad as the alien shit was, it actually gave birth to some interesting story.
Oh yea, like John's obsession with the blue key. That was riveting stuff.

Mason
Member Avatar

It's funny to me that some J&M fans don't like B&C, considering they gave J&M that nice little vowel renewal ceremony in Vegas, "spy school", reveal of John as Daphne DiMera's son (before that was fucked up) in what could have been a meaty storyline for J&M had B&C been given more time, etc. B&C were certainly better to J&M than any other writer this decade.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Dec 1 2008, 01:27 AM
It's funny to me that some J&M fans don't like B&C, considering they gave J&M that nice little vowel renewal ceremony in Vegas, "spy school", reveal of John as Daphne DiMera's son (before that was fucked up) in what could have been a meaty storyline for J&M had B&C been given more time, etc. B&C were certainly better to J&M than any other writer this decade.
It is funny.

Two writers gave them some of their best stuff TOGETHER in years and they are panned.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

CatherineEarnshaw
Sindacco
Jiggs
PhoenixRising05

I guess that works for you. But when I judge a writer I look at their whole tenure and how they wrote for the show as a whole. I don't judge them after one bad storyline or one good storyline. But then again, I'm not part of a rabid fanbase that have their own agenda.
Edited by Sindacco, Dec 1 2008, 04:20 AM.

madelinehawaii

PhoenixRising05
Dec 1 2008, 01:30 AM
Mason
It is funny.

Two writers gave them some of their best stuff TOGETHER in years and they are panned.
best is a relative term with some people, along with what constitutes being in or out of character and sticking to history, the last one being my favorite excuse as to why a writer gets panned as all history on this show isn't created equal lol

CatherineEarnshaw

Mason
The renewal episode was nice (all two episodes), the Daphne was just more rewriting of history (that did nothing to further the J/M story), spy school was a few cute episodes but hardly a story, etc

B/C weren't as horrible as Higley or much of Langan, but they weren't any better than Reilly's best stuff this decade or Sussman's stuff.

It is funny to me that some non J/m fans think that J/M fans should like B/C.

CatherineEarnshaw

PhoenixRising05
Dec 1 2008, 01:30 AM
Mason
It is funny.

best stuff in your opinion...so of course you don't pan it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply