Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thom Racina Interview; " I would go back as head writer"
Topic Started: Nov 25 2008, 10:47 PM (4,994 Views)
Mason
Member Avatar

John and Hope were never paired. That was Mercenary John and Gina. John and Hope never once had any form of a voluntary romance. Nor did Tony and Marlena, for that matter.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

daysfan
Member Avatar

CatherineEarnshaw
Dec 4 2008, 05:56 PM
Mason
Dec 3 2008, 07:43 PM
Hope's kidnapping was an awesome story, even though, no, it did not involve J&M. A great storyline is possible without them, though.
It is???
Well of course, or else Days wouldn't have survived from 1965-1986 now would it? :lol: :P

CatherineEarnshaw

Mason
Dec 4 2008, 06:10 PM
John and Hope were never paired. That was Mercenary John and Gina. John and Hope never once had any form of a voluntary romance. Nor did Tony and Marlena, for that matter.
What do you consider voluntary romance??

John and HOpe talked about their feelings constantly.

Marlena and Tony had the elevator scene where they talked about their feelings. And Dena wasn't too pleased how the actors played it. She threw a hissy.

Any time two actors of the opposite sex start having a lot of scenes, they are testing the waters at least.

Finally, the esteemed Tom Langan said that John and Hope were the end game.

Drake told fans that Langan wanted Greta to be John's, John to have a one night stand with Hope, a dalliance with Kate and and for Isabella (Staci was his neighbor) to return.

Mason
Member Avatar

Talking about feelings? Big whoop. That's hardly a grand affair.

CatherineEarnshaw

four years of talking however

And the two months of the jungle, Days lost a million viewers.

But hey, let's just repeat what isn't working.

madelinehawaii

CatherineEarnshaw
Dec 4 2008, 05:54 PM
Any kind of disagreement seems rather anathema on this board, but fans hated John and Hope yet Days continued this story for four years. How long should untalented writers be allowed to keep a story going when fans hated it?

Since we are all about quoting old writers, how about Doug Marland who said know what your audience wants to see? Or Sheri who ended the Chris/Marlena relationship because they weren't connecting and John and marlena were?

The ones who say just go along for the ride at various shows don't realize that sometimes that ride simply isn't enjoyable because fans no longer recognize the characters.

But in the end, it is the fans fault. Thanks Ken.
and we're back again to who decides what the audience really wants to see and how it gets measured...the show and the network and the advertisers use the ratings and yet when those ratings show something that may not back up a particular poster's opinion, I hear they don't mean anything...or they don't mean what people want them to mean, but when they do, those ratings are used constantly as THE measure of how popular A couple is...even though it is the show being measured, not a portion of it.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

CatherineEarnshaw
Dec 4 2008, 06:16 PM

I'm not going to debate much of what you wrote, I will just say I don't agree with it lol But I highly doubt the ratings went down because John and Hope were sharing scenes together. JER had left; all of the big stories had ended...

Everyone talks about what the "fans" want. Well, if you are John and Marlena fan, of course any story that in anyway betrays their "sacred love," it is going to be considered a horrible story. Same with Bo and Hope, and Tony and Anna, and Steve and Kayla. But there are a lot of fans out there who watch for the whole show. They care about story. I found the John and Hope connection interesting and I wish it had gone forward. Tony and Marlena? Not so much.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Mason
Oh, but it was beyond obvious that they wanted the audience to fall so in love with Jawn and Gina that they would want John with Hope. Why else have her get pregnant. It was all a contrivance to pair John and Hope in the present. Anyone that didn't see that coming a mile away was dumb, deaf and blind.

Mason
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Dec 4 2008, 08:43 PM
Mason
Oh, but it was beyond obvious that they wanted the audience to fall so in love with Jawn and Gina that they would want John with Hope. Why else have her get pregnant. It was all a contrivance to pair John and Hope in the present. Anyone that didn't see that coming a mile away was dumb, deaf and blind.
Whether that was the intention or not, the bottom line is that John and Hope were never together. I don't understand all the righteous indignation, personally.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

goldylicious
Dec 4 2008, 07:51 PM
CatherineEarnshaw

I'm not going to debate much of what you wrote, I will just say I don't agree with it lol But I highly doubt the ratings went down because John and Hope were sharing scenes together. JER had left; all of the big stories had ended...

Everyone talks about what the "fans" want. Well, if you are John and Marlena fan, of course any story that in anyway betrays their "sacred love," it is going to be considered a horrible story. Same with Bo and Hope, and Tony and Anna, and Steve and Kayla. But there are a lot of fans out there who watch for the whole show. They care about story. I found the John and Hope connection interesting and I wish it had gone forward. Tony and Marlena? Not so much.
John and Marlena fans tuned in, loving most of the stories, when they weren't even together. I watched when John was with Kristen and loved the show, so I disagree that any story that doesn't have J&M together is going to be something fans won't watch. The problem with the John/Hope story was that there was never anyone to root for. But when John was with Kristen, I rooted for John and Marlena. That's the difference between two different writers right there. The only John/Hope connection was a contrived rewrite of history, claiming that John was in love with a Hope look-alike in his past. Yet all his years in Salem living as a Brady he never looked at Hope and felt any kind of connection to his past? Puleeze. The whole thing was ridiculous and turned millions of fans away.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 4 2008, 08:47 PM
Jiggs
Dec 4 2008, 08:43 PM
Mason
Whether that was the intention or not, the bottom line is that John and Hope were never together. I don't understand all the righteous indignation, personally.
Well, technically YES they were together. They had sex, remember? Then we spent the next few years having to relive that horror in flashbacks, because TPTB thought it was ever so tantalizing. They may not have been paired but it was all about John and Hope and their supposed connection. The whole thing was a disaster. :puke:

Mason
Member Avatar

I remember Mercenary John and Gina having sex. I don't recall John and Hope ever engaging in intercourse.

Kyrai

Mason
Dec 4 2008, 08:55 PM
I remember Mercenary John and Gina having sex. I don't recall John and Hope ever engaging in intercourse.
Technically, I believe it was Hope, but Gina was in control of her. Never did real Hope or real John have an affair or act like they wanted to have a love affair. Both were appalled at the idea. Both were shown deeply in love with their respective soulmate, and anguished by what happened. John did want to be there for his son, but love of children, ownership of them even when they were ultimately not really his, has always been very characteristic of John.

I thought it gave interesting back story to John before he came to Salem, what he was like under Stefano, what happened to cause Stefano to turn him into a pawn, and while implausible that Gina would have looked like Hope, KA was wonderful as Gina. There were some things I liked, some I didn't, but it was different, and enjoyable. I never felt J&M's love or Bope's love was threatened by the affair. I just hate we didn't see Gina and Merc John doing evil deeds with Stefano and Bo, Marlena, and the rest of Salem trying to recover them. Oh well.
Edited by Kyrai, Dec 4 2008, 09:08 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

Kyrai
Dec 4 2008, 09:05 PM
Mason
Dec 4 2008, 08:55 PM
Technically, I believe it was Hope, but Gina was in control of her.
That's what I meant.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Dec 4 2008, 08:50 PM
goldylicious
CatherineEarnshaw

John and Marlena fans tuned in, loving most of the stories, when they weren't even together. I watched when John was with Kristen and loved the show, so I disagree that any story that doesn't have J&M together is going to be something fans won't watch. The problem with the John/Hope story was that there was never anyone to root for. But when John was with Kristen, I rooted for John and Marlena. That's the difference between two different writers right there. The only John/Hope connection was a contrived rewrite of history, claiming that John was in love with a Hope look-alike in his past. Yet all his years in Salem living as a Brady he never looked at Hope and felt any kind of connection to his past? Puleeze. The whole thing was ridiculous and turned millions of fans away.
You liked the show when John was with Kristin because it was clear as day that the story was leading to John and Marlena. And I don't accept that the John/Gina thing turned millions of viewers away. How many other stories were going on at the time? Yet, the story you didn't like, is what turned the viewers off....

Mason
Member Avatar

LoL, seriously, how do we know it wasn't the silly Vivian tooth chip story that was driving away viewers? Or the Godawful Mike/Carrie pairing? Or the emergence of the teen invasion?

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mason
Dec 5 2008, 01:35 AM
LoL, seriously, how do we know it wasn't the silly Vivian tooth chip story that was driving away viewers? Or the Godawful Mike/Carrie pairing? Or the emergence of the teen invasion?
I vote on Mike and Carrie, just because I hated them with a burning passion. :puke:

But when thinking rationally ratings are not easily analyzable. So saying this or that was the reason for a ratings increase or decrease matter of factly is extremely premature.
Quote Post Goto Top

Jiggs
Member Avatar

goldylicious
Dec 5 2008, 12:44 AM
Jiggs
Dec 4 2008, 08:50 PM
goldylicious
CatherineEarnshaw

You liked the show when John was with Kristin because it was clear as day that the story was leading to John and Marlena. And I don't accept that the John/Gina thing turned millions of viewers away. How many other stories were going on at the time? Yet, the story you didn't like, is what turned the viewers off....
Well, you're kind of putting words in my mouth. I actually liked the show, and J&M, before there was any indication that they would be pairing them once again way down the road. I've been watching soaps my whole life and I know that nothing on soaps is guaranteed, and I never had a clue they would actually put them together again. I didn't fully get excited about that prospect until after the gas chamber when they started to make it clear that Kristen was turning into a conniving bitch. In fact, I got hooked on J&M during Maison Blanche, when they weren't even a couple, and the story went on to become the Tony/Kristen/John triangle. So, really it's not as black and white as you would like to paint it.

As for Jope turning away viewers, you can believe what you want. There is no way to prove it either way. I just know that a lot of people I knew at the time online quit watching, most of them completely disappeared. If you think it was a popular story, more power to you.
Edited by Jiggs, Dec 5 2008, 02:19 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply