Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Deidre Hall's last air date; 1/23 -- DE-TIVO AS OF 1/24!
Topic Started: Nov 26 2008, 09:00 AM (3,645 Views)
Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Nov 28 2008, 02:04 AM
I think the sendoff will be fine.

It's everything before it that concerns me, especially with what we have been getting lately.
I hope you're right, but I can't think of a reason that it will be. Both the current writing for J&M and the fact that Drake and Deidre were fired tell me that the show considers J&M basically irrelevant at this point. The only reason I think the show might try to give them a suitable finale is to get a ratings bump, but the show's current ratings strategy seems to involve Melanie. If those are the type of stories that Tomlin and Higley value, then I really don't have any expectation that J&M's final episodes will be done well.

As for their story now - I think it's terrible, but I think that also proves my point. Will these same writers all of a sudden be able to shift from "Ava part II" to a few once-in-a-lifetime John and Marlena episodes? I don't have high hopes for that.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JustJo
Member Avatar

Ellie
Nov 28 2008, 02:16 AM
PhoenixRising05

It's everything before it that concerns me, especially with what we have been getting lately.
I hope you're right, but I can't think of a reason that it will be. Both the current writing for J&M and the fact that Drake and Deidre were fired tell me that the show considers J&M basically irrelevant at this point. The only reason I think the show might try to give them a suitable finale is to get a ratings bump, but the show's current ratings strategy seems to involve Melanie. If those are the type of stories that Tomlin and Higley value, then I really don't have any expectation that J&M's final episodes will be done well.

As for their story now - I think it's terrible, but I think that also proves my point. Will these same writers all of a sudden be able to shift from "Ava part II" to a few once-in-a-lifetime John and Marlena episodes? I don't have high hopes for that.
I have very low expectations for their finale for exactly the same reasons.

hops
Member Avatar

JustJo
Nov 28 2008, 10:16 AM
Ellie
PhoenixRising05

So do I. You don't just change style at the end. If they didn't get John and especially Marlena (since she did not lose her memory) all year, why should it change now. The only way it would be half ways decent would be to let Deidre and Drake ad lib a bit, and we know that is not going to happen, so I'm kind of dreading it in a way. And they don't have time to write a real ending to this story. It's going to be everything I didn't want it to be. A quick ending so they can just get it over with. It will be just like all the other so called 'payoffs' that never materialized or happened off screen for the past 5 years. And they wonder why fans tune out.

King
Member Avatar

This episode is going to be SURREAL!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Nov 28 2008, 01:22 AM
I figured it would be around this time.

Wish it was during sweeps or the 11,000th episode. I just think it would help to have some more time because I have a feeling the exit is going to be shoddy as it seems the show is focusing on the story that was in place already for the next few weeks. We'll see.

I think I'm at the point where I just want them offscreen after the shitty stuff we've seen of them so far this week.
That's pretty much how I feel. ALthough I missed most of the 90's and a great part of the 80's, for me, Marlena's heyday was with Don. She stopped being a favorite when I started watching in earnest again in 2005. John and Marlena never held any charm for me. For me, they do better apart. I even survived Marlena's first leaving when Deidre went to Our House, I guess, because I could still see her. But again, that charm has gone. I would be interested in seeing her in another role so it's Deidre Hall I"m seeing, and not Marlena all the time. Personally, fate might have made this the best possible thing for them. Time will tell, but sometimes, chapters have to end.

But, I'll quit totally watching if there are NO stories that catch my interest or terrific actors that catch my eye. Blake leaving has already gotten me down, because of his awesome acting, and if Nicole's character takes a battering, that's it, unless Whitsell (I won't even consider Higley anymore) does something miraculous with something new.

I'm used to actors leaving, even long-term actors. I survived George Clooney leaving ER, I survived Jerry Orbach's death on L&O, and I was able to give up Days before. Not because Doug and Julie dwindled, but because RL and no VCR just took over, and I got tired of the stories. When I like the stories, I find new favorites. Now, maybe if they totally write off Alice, then I might consider quitting. To me, ALICE is the final blow. Alice was there at the beginning, and I'd like to see her there at the end. I know Frances Reid has scarcely been on, but Alice still lives. Or, if Suzanne Rogers leaves. Those two are the basis and heart of the Horton family, which was the original foundation family. John and Marlena have nothing to do with the Hortons except as friends.

I'm not too sure this will matter much to the ratings anyway, because, according to what I read on boards, most of the Marlena fans quit watching anyway a long time ago.

Besides, this might not be permanent. Sure, they'll probably be asked back. Will they spit in Corday's eye? Who knows? I have this feeling, though, they'll be back for some things, if not permanently if some things change. (I know, that's a big if). But, nothing that happens with this show surprises me anymore.

jules

hops
Nov 28 2008, 11:07 PM
JustJo
Nov 28 2008, 10:16 AM
Ellie
PhoenixRising05

So do I. You don't just change style at the end. If they didn't get John and especially Marlena (since she did not lose her memory) all year, why should it change now. The only way it would be half ways decent would be to let Deidre and Drake ad lib a bit, and we know that is not going to happen, so I'm kind of dreading it in a way. And they don't have time to write a real ending to this story. It's going to be everything I didn't want it to be. A quick ending so they can just get it over with. It will be just like all the other so called 'payoffs' that never materialized or happened off screen for the past 5 years. And they wonder why fans tune out.
I have such low expectations for their finale, but I'm sure Corday and co will even go lower lol. I just remember the Bope vow renewal last summer and how almost the whole week was devoted to that...I don't expect to get anything even close to that.

hops
Member Avatar

jules
Nov 29 2008, 09:07 AM
I have such low expectations for their finale, but I'm sure Corday and co will even go lower lol. I just remember the Bope vow renewal last summer and how almost the whole week was devoted to that...I don't expect to get anything even close to that.
A whole week devoted to J&M, a couple that have been so much a part of this show for the past 23 years and Deidre even longer? Only in my dreams.

Ellie

hops
Nov 30 2008, 01:44 AM
jules
Nov 29 2008, 09:07 AM
A whole week devoted to J&M, a couple that have been so much a part of this show for the past 23 years and Deidre even longer? Only in my dreams.
They have a fine line to walk, in that if they get the viewers too interested in J&M, then it will be too much of a letdown after J&M leave. Plus, I think Corday thinks his comment about the fact that J&M could come back at any time relieves him of his obligation to give them a proper sendoff.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I'm just wondering if they'll even get a facecake. Can Days afford that? Seriously. Do they still do that?

FanODays

Its a sad thing but I don't think if people stopped watching and the ratings fell, it would make a bit of difference. Corday has proven before that he truly lacks a vision for the show, its just been wandering aimlessly for years now with a few periodic decent stories to keep them going but no overall vision as to who/what Days is.

kserox10

I am still very sad. :(

Jonatha

ladyofthelake
Nov 30 2008, 07:33 AM
I'm just wondering if they'll even get a facecake. Can Days afford that? Seriously. Do they still do that?
Verrrry interesting comment. :biggrin: Seriously, Drake said he refused the cake last year, IIRC.

Mason

They damn well better get something special! That's the least Corday can do.
Edited by Mason, Nov 30 2008, 11:54 AM.

cjknick
Member Avatar

I'll still watch ... characters come back to Days, but if the show is cancelled then they can't come back can they?

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

cjknick
Nov 30 2008, 12:29 PM
I'll still watch ... characters come back to Days, but if the show is cancelled then they can't come back can they?
Good point! There would be nothing for them to come back to, poor writing or not.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Who wants them to come back? I don't. I want Deidre to go somewhere else and when Corday comes asking them back, laugh in his face.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

Unless I'd read it here I doubt I would have even noticed she was gone.

I would have noticed Jawn was gone, but not Marlena.

If either one is asked back I think they'd be back so fast it'd make your head spin.
Edited by SpriteEyes, Nov 30 2008, 06:17 PM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

SpriteEyes
Nov 30 2008, 06:16 PM

If either one is asked back I think they'd be back so fast it'd make your head spin.
You know, you're right. I probably wouldn't, either, just because for the past three years I've been watching again, their stuff was garbage, replaced by other storylines that I found more interesting. That's too bad. I really loved Marlena back in the day and even watched Our House just for her. Hell, I even suffered through ElectraWoman and Dynagirl when I was a young teen cause I thought Marlena was so awesome. Who knows how I'd feel if I had really watched intently during the mid 80's through the 90's....nawwww. The conference room scene would have done me in, cause I loved Roman. :D

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Nov 30 2008, 06:23 PM
SpriteEyes

You know, you're right. I probably wouldn't, either, just because for the past three years I've been watching again, their stuff was garbage, replaced by other storylines that I found more interesting. That's too bad. I really loved Marlena back in the day and even watched Our House just for her. Hell, I even suffered through ElectraWoman and Dynagirl when I was a young teen cause I thought Marlena was so awesome. Who knows how I'd feel if I had really watched intently during the mid 80's through the 90's....nawwww. The conference room scene would have done me in, cause I loved Roman. :D
Marlena's rarely on, and when she is she's irritating. I just wouldn't miss her.

I would miss Jawn's snark.

There's just not much left for them to do that we haven't already seen. Don't need anymore third parties. Don't need John rescuing Marlena from anymore boxes and we certainly don't need either of them getting brainwashed or possessed by the devil, either.

It's time for them to just sail off into the wild blue yonder.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

SpriteEyes
Nov 30 2008, 06:27 PM
ladyofthelake
Nov 30 2008, 06:23 PM
SpriteEyes

Marlena's rarely on, and when she is she's irritating. I just wouldn't miss her.

I would miss Jawn's snark.

There's just not much left for them to do that we haven't already seen. Don't need anymore third parties. Don't need John rescuing Marlena from anymore boxes and we certainly don't need either of them getting brainwashed or possessed by the devil, either.

It's time for them to just sail off into the wild blue yonder.
Well, the only thing left for them to do, besides continue to debate about Jawn's mental state, is get involved in Sami's business or find other people. Seriously. Marlena could have gotten involved more in her practice, and John could have recovered and started Basic Black up again, but together, there's not too much, unless she opened a practice up at Basic Black so they could work together and occasionally flirt like Bo and Hope do. :D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply