Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: Days Bloodbath!; Article Summary.
Topic Started: Nov 26 2008, 11:54 AM (3,266 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR.

The December 9th SOW article on Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn's firings quotes "setsiders" who say that Deidre and Drake were fired "sans any negotiation". They then quote two anonymous actors, one who relates it to the "world economic crisis" and says though Drake and Deidre mean so much to the show, "it's not personal", and "another Days star" who says he/she wishes there could have been some way to resolve the budget without cutting these two.

SOW then says that actors "on the high end of the show's payroll" are being asked to take 40-50% paycuts. An 'insider' tells SOW that Peter Reckell, Kristian Alfonso and Alison Sweeney were asked. According to this same 'insider', the mood there is "grim", and people are wondering who will be the next to go.

SOW then speculates on who might be next, citing Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans as possibilities.

They then discuss Jay Kenneth Johnson, saying that he "reportedly cleared out his dressing room" after contract negotiations didn't work out, but that he came back to finish out his contract, which ends at the end of the year. They do not know if he will continue after that, but "in the meantime, the show has begun the recasting process".
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Thanks for posting, Ellie!

Very interesting that AS was asked to take a paycut and that she was mentioned in the same breath as PR and KA. I guess she really is commanding high pay.

As for JKJ, also interesting. I wonder if SOW is behind the times or if that last information was simply wrong.

Would love to know who the two anonymous actors were who were quoted about Drake and Deidre.

Ellie

You're welcome! LOL I had all the same thoughts you did. As for Ali, let's not forget that she has two jobs! She must be doing quite well for herself.

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting Ellie. :smile:

I hope the report about JKJ re-signing wasn't false. :scared:

Sindacco
Member Avatar

If Jay will stay through the end of the year they would have time to write Philip off, not recast him.

downwhtone
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie!

Kyrai

Thanks Ellie!

I'd love to know who the two anonymous actors were too.

Since they didn't mention BB, maybe this was before JKJ came to terms over his contract and they aren't getting any advanced info on who's staying or going.

jules

Thanks Ellie. :D Too bad Deidre and Drake weren't offered the same option as the others. It just proves to me that Corday and NBC didn't want them. As for the "bloodbath" it seems like a trickle to me lol.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Thanks Ellie! I bet DC jumped the gun on JKJ, and that he most likely won't be staying.

jane1978

Angie79
Nov 26 2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks Ellie! I bet DC jumped the gun on JKJ, and that he most likely won't be staying.
Nah. DC announced the deal on monday, no way there was a time to put it in print.

Deidre/Drake were officially fired on friday, but the mags had to know before because they already had an exclusive interview with Corday and his statement. I bet the mags were already in print when the news got out.

King
Member Avatar

Thanks for the scoop, Ellie!

It really is terrible to hear how grim things are on the set. :( I feel for all of them. Sadly, I think DAYS is just the first show to experience this, but the others will soon too.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

jane1978
Nov 26 2008, 02:07 PM
Angie79
Nah. DC announced the deal on monday, no way there was a time to put it in print.

Deidre/Drake were officially fired on friday, but the mags had to know before because they already had an exclusive interview with Corday and his statement. I bet the mags were already in print when the news got out.

Yeah, I realize that. I am just not convinced that he is going to stay. I hope he does though!

Deidrefan28

Ellie
Nov 26 2008, 11:54 AM
Please link to DR.

The December 9th SOW article on Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn's firings quotes "setsiders" who say that Deidre and Drake were fired "sans any negotiation". They then quote two anonymous actors, one who relates it to the "world economic crisis" and says though Drake and Deidre mean so much to the show, "it's not personal", and "another Days star" who says he/she wishes there could have been some way to resolve the budget without cutting these two.

SOW then says that actors "on the high end of the show's payroll" are being asked to take 40-50% paycuts. An 'insider' tells SOW that Peter Reckell, Kristian Alfonso and Alison Sweeney were asked. According to this same 'insider', the mood there is "grim", and people are wondering who will be the next to go.

SOW then speculates on who might be next, citing Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans as possibilities.

They then discuss Jay Kenneth Johnson, saying that he "reportedly cleared out his dressing room" after contract negotiations didn't work out, but that he came back to finish out his contract, which ends at the end of the year. They do not know if he will continue after that, but "in the meantime, the show has begun the recasting process".
The numerous snafus at Days have nothing to do with the financial crisis. It has to do with the fact that Corday doesn't know what the hell he's doing and continues to keep a failed writer on board. I've also read that NBC in general isn't doing that great.

e83talus
Member Avatar

jane1978
Nov 26 2008, 02:07 PM
Angie79

Drakes fan club announced the firings on Friday, November 14. SOD Confirmed this on Monday and Ken's statement was in Friday, November 21, 2008 issue. I can certainly see Ken giving his statement on the tuesday after we heard the rumors. He is a snake.

Ellie

^^ lol not to stick up for Ken Corday, but on the Monday morning after Drake's FC heard about the firings, SOD had an article preview up on their website with the Corday quote. So they'd already interviewed him at that point.

e83talus
Member Avatar

Ellie
Nov 26 2008, 04:35 PM
^^ lol not to stick up for Ken Corday, but on the Monday morning after Drake's FC heard about the firings, SOD had an article preview up on their website with the Corday quote. So they'd already interviewed him at that point.
Even more of a snake.

Ellie

e83talus
Nov 26 2008, 04:43 PM
Ellie
Even more of a snake.
haha no argument there!

e83talus
Member Avatar

Ellie
Nov 26 2008, 04:44 PM
e83talus
Nov 26 2008, 04:43 PM
Ellie
Even more of a snake.
haha no argument there!
Sorry. I am just so unhappy about this I could just kill Ken C. Every little bit of information that we get simply makes me feel even worse about this entire situation.

Thanks for the info.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I wish they would just make their storyline decisions, then their cuts, then tell the cast and crew. It seems unnecessarily cruel to make them a work within that atmosphere, especially with the whole "spokes on a wheel" comment really confirming how important they are (which is kind of stupid- won't a wheel be structurally weaker if you rip out spokes and replace them with cheaper material?).

And it would be nice for viewers to imagine that there's an actual plan and not just "let's see what sticks" for what's probably the final run for the show. This is, like, year 3 of obvious chaos. It's starting to be less amusing.

Ellie

^^ LOL! Great point about the 'spokes'. Someone needs to make a cartoon of Corday riding a bike like that.

And I agree about the atmosphere there. I'm sure everyone would just feel better if they announced the cuts already.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply