Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: Days Bloodbath!; Article Summary.
Topic Started: Nov 26 2008, 11:54 AM (3,168 Views)
Kyrai

ladyofthelake
Nov 29 2008, 11:12 AM
Apparently, Peter and Kristian's salaries don't come close to John and Marlena's. And, I think I mentioned (maybe it was in another post), Bo and Hope represent both of the core families...the Hortons and Bradys. Plus, Hope's character has been on canvas since 1974, I believe, again, a tie to the original family. She was born on the show and grew up on the show.

Again, my case.......remember D&D's extended vacations, most of them contract related. They didn't want D&D on more than their contract stipulated so they wouldn't have to pay them more money.

Plus, Bo and Hope are now the Salem PD, pretty much. They haven't shown Marlena with a patient in quite a while, since, who? Eve Plumb?

Leaving Bo and Hope on, with their pay cuts, keeps some vets on, keeps Salem PD going, leaves Salem with someone to do investigating, adds another babysitter, and another good ear. Slashing John and Marlena gives an apparently much-needed budget relief.

You don't have to believe my scenario, but unless you can come up with another reason, this is what I'm going with. :D I don't believe the stuff about the young demographics. Bo and Hope are staying so far, as are Steve and Kayla, Abe and Lexie, Maggie, Victor, and Caroline. Although a lot of attention is on Melanie, so is there attention on Nicole and EJ (both late 20's/early 30's demographic...hardly the sorority scene). The musical couples scene is something that happens, apparently, on other soaps. They're just not using their brains about it.

Why else would Corday want to cut what many consider the powerhouse couple? Unless there are other backstage problems with them that we don't know about that involve clashing personalities. We don't know the whole truth, and probably won't until the whole story is over with.

Your last paragraph indicates how it affects you. Yes, that's understandable. BUT, TPTB, for better or worse, have to consider all the factors that affect the show as a WHOLE. We all look at this as to how it will affect OUR viewing. And Corday has screwed up plenty, but right now, this might be one of his few options left. He has to look at the whole picture. Maybe he is making a mistake. But, I'm trying very hard not to view this based on my personal preferences. That's why I'm disappointed in Blake going, but am thinking it's probably the best for Blake.
Thanks for the clarification. I can't argue with the fact that Bo and Hope as Brady and Horton tie the show historically. I've always loved the Horton connection. Family and history just doesn't seem to be much of a factor anymore to the show. It's one of the things I really miss. Nick was a Horton, and one of the few younger characters I actually liked as a good person. I've never really viewed Lucas as a Horton. I feel like it's going to be a sad Christmas with just Maggie, Mickey, Bope, Lucas, hopefully, Doug and Julie. I miss Mike.

Technically, Bo isn't a Brady and John is, but I rather preferred John being an adopted Brady vs. one by Colleen anyway, and I don't see it as a major selling point for J&M over Bope. I don't want to see any selling point of one over the other. Their friendship was one of the things I loved, so I don't want either to go.

My main discussion point they shouldn't be written off due to lack of story/money when I haven't seen good stories for any couple, and I think salary is an issue in 'what they are willing to take' vs. what they are making. As you say, it all boils down to what KC thinks will be good for the show.

I do think Blake and D&D are better off getting off of this wreck, and I'm even better off giving up now than continuing to try to watch. It's still just so depressingly sad for me even if I do logically agree it's for the best. My darn heart won't listen to my head.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kyrai

hops
Nov 29 2008, 11:30 AM
Very nicely said Kyrai. I felt/feel the same way about J&M. And no more excuses. Story was there, someone just didn't want to play it or didn't have the talent to execute it.

I loved feeling so passionately about J&M all these years. it's a testament to chemistry of Deidre and Drake and all that they brought to the screen between these two characters. I wouldn't have had it any other way. God it was fun.
Yep! The good thing is, no matter what, what they had still lives on. No matter how many times I watch the older eps, I still love them, and I seem to find new things to love about them as well. I find myself appreciating J&M more and more. They manage to get so much emotion out of me. I just love how they looked at each other and showed they cared in so many little ways. It was fun! It was magic! :)

Jiggs
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Nov 29 2008, 11:12 AM
Apparently, Peter and Kristian's salaries don't come close to John and Marlena's. And, I think I mentioned (maybe it was in another post), Bo and Hope represent both of the core families...the Hortons and Bradys. Plus, Hope's character has been on canvas since 1974, I believe, again, a tie to the original family. She was born on the show and grew up on the show.
There would be no Brady's if there had been no Marlena.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

hops
Nov 29 2008, 11:30 AM
Very nicely said Kyrai. I felt/feel the same way about J&M. And no more excuses. Story was there, someone just didn't want to play it or didn't have the talent to execute it.

I loved feeling so passionately about J&M all these years. it's a testament to chemistry of Deidre and Drake and all that they brought to the screen between these two characters. I wouldn't have had it any other way. God it was fun.
ITA Hops! Great times, and while I think the show has missed many many opportunities to write great stories for J&M, I gotta say that we as a fan base have had some of the very best stuff on Days ever. And we had the same actors in the roles the whole time. As far as being fans I think we have been very lucky overall. I'm fine with it ending. At least I won't have to be around when the show limps over to the other side in a year or so :smile:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ladyofthelake
Nov 29 2008, 08:10 AM
I see what Tim is saying, though. Yeah, not too many storylines are worth a damn, but people keep dancing around the fact that D&D command a pretty damn high salary. What, cut Steve and Kayla, who are probably making a pittance next to J&M? Why do you think D&D have been given such extended vacations in the past? This isn't the first time they've been off-canvas (albeit temporarily) because of money. A lot of you folks love them, I know, but the reality is...they're EXPENSIVE. Expensive +not much storyline=cut. Not much storyline+not as expensive+still has a solid history and/or fanbase=stay (most likely). And, I'm sorry,but sometimes, reality isn't pretty.

And, as speculated on other boards, I'm willing to bet Sami's going to be elevated to the grand dame status. Or, possibly Hope. It will be interesting to see who gets the tag credit (or whatever it's called) at the end of the opening, which now says "and Deidre Hall as Dr. Marlena Evans".

Yeah, Corday's made a clusterfuck of the finances. It's like anyone else. You get your average Joe who hasn't managed money will in the past and hasn't saved, and then when a financial crisis or economy problems hit, their money problems get a double whammy over the person who has planned well for a rainy day. It's the same thing. So, YES, the economy is weighing in on this. It's probably the final catalyst that has pushed Sony, Corday, and/or NBC to the brink, forcing them to make this decision. They can't ignore it anymore. Neither can we. Revenue comes in a big part from commercials. When people aren't buying stuff, companies have to cut their advertising. They'll cut advertising from the shows that aren't bringing in the ratings. That's daytime.

And, Corday should have marketed classic Days scenes or storylines on DVD a long time ago. I've been reading on boards how people wished he would do that for several years now. Could you imagine, if he was selling classic 80's stories, the Possession, SK storyline, Cruise of Deception, or whatever, how that would have helped?

NBC wasn't marketing the show for years. Now, they're marketing it. Another mistake.

Corday fired JER and still had to keep paying on his contract. Another mistake. The writers' strike, of course, didn't help matters.

Everything comes in a cycle. I've quoted Ecclesiates (or, if you will, the Byrds!), "To everything there is a season". This is the down season. If Days doesn't survive it, it's had a better run than Passions had, or many other soaps, and that's something to celebrate.
Exactly. Wonderful post.

I don't think Corday would've done this if there was some other way, especially without negotiation.

This isn't personal and I think it would've gotten to this point with or without Corday mismanaging things. The economy is bad and I doubt Days would've had to cut 40-50% if the rest of NBC wasn't in the toilet. Days just had to follow the rest of NBC in it's cuts and that is why this had to happen. I don't see it happening if not for all that. No way.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply