Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Kristian Alfonso interviewed about the cuts; Carolyn Hinsey's NY Daily News Soap Dish
Topic Started: Nov 28 2008, 05:14 AM (5,319 Views)
Ellie

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2008/11/28/2008-11-28_soap_dish_theres_still_hope_and_bo_for_d-1.html

Soap Dish: There's still Hope (and Bo!) for 'Days of our Lives' fans

By CAROLYN HINSEY

Friday, November 28th 2008, 4:00 AM

As cited last week, "Days of Our Lives" is making major cast cuts to stay on the air with a vastly reduced budget. Longtime stars Drake Hogestyn (John) and Deidre Hall (Marlena) will exit in January, followed by undetermined others.

Are fellow biggies Kristian Alfonso (Hope) and Peter Reckell (Bo) safe?

"I'm always thinking, 'Am I going to get the call?'" say Alfonso, who's played heroine Hope Brady since 1983. "I never take anything for granted."

Alfonso says the cast was stunned to hear Hogestyn and Hall had gotten the ax.

"Everyone was aghast when we heard about Dee and Drake," she says. "Drake came up to me the other day and said, 'It's been so great working with you.' I said, 'Don't you dare say goodbye to me.' I felt tears starting to well."

The good news is that "Days" will stay on the air until 2010.

"We are picked up for 18 months," says Alfonso. "I've heard there are going to be more financial cuts, and not just our show."

Indeed, NBC has said it will cut $500 million in operating expenses over the next year.

"It's happening everywhere. I'm thankful every day I walk through those doors. The economy is a disaster right now."

Alfonso has hedged her bets against the downturn by using her soap-star status to launch a successful jewelry line called Hope, Faith, Miracles.

"It's nerve-racking starting a new business, but it's doing great," she says of her jewelry, sold on the Home Shopping Network and online (www.hopefaithmiracles.com). "I love designing jewelry."

Alfonso got the idea to launch the business after she started wearing her own designs on the show and fans started asking about them. "People would call production and ask where they could purchase my jewelry. They couldn't. So I started with five pieces two years ago."

Alfonso's line has gotten so big that she will debut a new collection tomorrow at Bloomingdale's on 59th St., noon-5 p.m.

"We're launching signature pieces like the Hope pendant," she says, citing the pieces she names after her character as her faves. "Let's face it - Hope is the best-dressed detective on TV."

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar
Shove your crappy show where the sun don't shine, Corday!

Aawww, bless your heart, Kristian! I'll miss Drake and Dee too!

brimike

I love how the line to tow is "let's blame the economy", when the truth is, a soap opera, if written well, could do quite well in this economy with so many people home.

I'm glad KA and PR agreed to take the cuts though. At least there's something to hold on to...

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

It is the economy in part. What do you think commercials are for? If people don't buy the product, the advertisers won't pay for their advertising or cut it. If people are cutting back, they won't buy products. (Think about the car industry and the gazillions they probably put into advertising). If people aren't buying products, the manufacturers have to start making cuts. If there's a show that's doing so-so in the ratings, the manufacturer will put its advertising there and seek a bigger audience elsewhere. There's another thread going around about ABC having to slash salaries, too, I think.
It's cyclical. One affects the other.
Edited by ladyofthelake, Nov 28 2008, 09:18 AM.

darraholic
Member Avatar

She's just so classy.

Days4Life

ladyofthelake
Nov 28 2008, 09:17 AM
It is the economy in part. What do you think commercials are for? If people don't buy the product, the advertisers won't pay for their advertising or cut it. If people are cutting back, they won't buy products. (Think about the car industry and the gazillions they probably put into advertising). If people aren't buying products, the manufacturers have to start making cuts. If there's a show that's doing so-so in the ratings, the manufacturer will put its advertising there and seek a bigger audience elsewhere. There's another thread going around about ABC having to slash salaries, too, I think.
I agree the economy is partly to blame. Ad revenue is down, which affects the networks' budgets. My husband was remarking the other day about the decrease in car commercials, which was always a dependable advertiser for many shows.

I'm so glad to hear Kristian and Peter are staying. If they left, on top of Drake and Deidre leaving, that would have been a huge blow to the show. Although I like John and Marlena, Bo and Hope have always been my favorite supercouple, probably because I have such vivid memories of the storylines about Hope's birth and her mother's death.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Funny about her comment with Drake leaving and not saying goodbye. Didn't he say that to her about this time last year? A shame Drake has to do this every year. I don't think I will ever buy that he knew he was returning.

Glad Bo and Hope are staying, and glad to hear they are happy to have jobs.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

The economy is definitely a factor in the slashed budget..Advertisers have less money to spend and they are generally the ones who pay the budget..

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

Great interview with the gorgeous Kristian Alfonso. I'm glad that she wasn't given the ax!
Edited by DolceDiMera, Nov 28 2008, 02:35 PM.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

The "economy" is not the big factor, it's plays a part, but it isn't the major reason why DAYS has to make all of these cuts.

Fact remains, Corday and company have mismanaged this show's budget for YEARS. If the show wasn't in debt, and managed its budget successfully over the past 10 years or so, it wouldn't be in as bad of a predicament as it is in today. Why do you think the ABC soaps and the Bell soaps still manage to hold on to most of the veteran cast they have - THEY KNOW HOW TO BALANACE THEIR BUDGET.

The 40% budget cut is massive yes, but had this show been in a stable financial place beforehand, they could've worked around it more successfully.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Days4Life
Nov 28 2008, 11:03 AM
ladyofthelake
Nov 28 2008, 09:17 AM
I agree the economy is partly to blame. Ad revenue is down, which affects the networks' budgets. My husband was remarking the other day about the decrease in car commercials, which was always a dependable advertiser for many shows.

I'm so glad to hear Kristian and Peter are staying. If they left, on top of Drake and Deidre leaving, that would have been a huge blow to the show. Although I like John and Marlena, Bo and Hope have always been my favorite supercouple, probably because I have such vivid memories of the storylines about Hope's birth and her mother's death.
Oh, me, too. That was such a sad storyline.
I guess part of a reason Bo and Hope are staying, too, is that they are THE couple representing both core families...Hortons and Bradys. The Hortons are already going to be whittled down to Maggie, Hope, and Lucas, with the occasional blessed appearance by Doug/Julie and the rare Mickey appearance. Hope grew up on the show. We don't have any other character, I don't think, that is so connected to such a past except for maybe Maggie (and the occasional Doug and Julie). Sure, Sami grew up on the show, too, but I don't see that connection to the CORE past that I see with Hope.

Mason
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
Nov 28 2008, 07:08 PM
The "economy" is not the big factor, it's plays a part, but it isn't the major reason why DAYS has to make all of these cuts.

Fact remains, Corday and company have mismanaged this show's budget for YEARS. If the show wasn't in debt, and managed its budget successfully over the past 10 years or so, it wouldn't be in as bad of a predicament as it is in today. Why do you think the ABC soaps and the Bell soaps still manage to hold on to most of the veteran cast they have - THEY KNOW HOW TO BALANACE THEIR BUDGET.

The 40% budget cut is massive yes, but had this show been in a stable financial place beforehand, they could've worked around it more successfully.
Exactly. The vast majority of the blame for DAYS's current predicament lies squarely on Corday's bumbling shoulders.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Y&RWorldTurner
Nov 28 2008, 07:08 PM

Yes, Corday mismanages, but there is also a thread here (or maybe it's at SON) where it says that ABC is having to make salary cuts, too. His mismanagement and the economy together are lousy timing.
Plus, do you think KA is really going to say 'it's because of that jackass Corday?"

~bl~
Member Avatar

Over the years, ABC has been cutting costs quietly and salaries too. They haven't resorted to insanely huge casting purges like some other shows. The problems in daytime shouldn't be blamed solely on financial issues and it drives me up a wall when people blame the accountants for everything. Back in the day, when soaps were making tons of money, it was squandered instead of saved.

I appreciated that they talked to Kristian about this topic.
Edited by ~bl~, Nov 28 2008, 08:05 PM.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

I am thrilled that Kristian is staying. Honestly, Bo and Hope represent DAYS to me, and as much as I'm going to miss Marlena, Bo and Hope leaving would be just the end for me.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

~bl~
Nov 28 2008, 08:03 PM
Over the years, ABC has been cutting costs quietly and salaries too. They haven't resorted to insanely huge casting purges like some other shows. The problems in daytime shouldn't be blamed solely on financial issues and it drives me up a wall when people blame the accountants for everything. Back in the day, when soaps were making tons of money, it was squandered instead of saved.

I appreciated that they talked to Kristian about this topic.
I guess just like it drives me up the wall when people blame the demise of daytime solely on trying to cater to the younger people. I guess we all have our pet peeves, don't we? ;)

FanODays

Kevc1980
Nov 28 2008, 01:51 PM
The economy is definitely a factor in the slashed budget..Advertisers have less money to spend and they are generally the ones who pay the budget..
The economy plays a big role but let's not forget that soaps have been on the decline for years as had NBC as a network so using it as a scape goat is the cowards way out for TPTB. A decade ago when they were paying the casts of Seinfeld and Friends millions and millions per episode, they were arrogant and never thought this would happen to them but their arrogance led to laziness which led to bad ratings......yadda, yadda, yadda.

I'm sick and tired that 'the economy' gets blamed for everything these days when various execs played a major part in things getting out of hand as they stuffed their pockets with cash and now are making their employees pay, Corday and Zucker included.

Back to the interview, glad to see someone will still talk to Carolyn Hinsey and Alfonso has always been a class act.

King
Member Avatar

I like her attitude.

I don't know if I agree with you brimike. I'd say Y&R is probably the best written show right now, and they are going to be in trouble in a two years or so. A lot of people think OLTL is the best show on the air, and that show is going to be in trouble soon too. It's just an inevitable decline. I agree the economy might not really be to blame. TV moves in cycles and eras. I just think the soap era is coming to an end. There was a time when no one thought TV could do without Westerns.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

King
Nov 30 2008, 12:27 PM
I like her attitude.

I don't know if I agree with you brimike. I'd say Y&R is probably the best written show right now, and they are going to be in trouble in a two years or so. A lot of people think OLTL is the best show on the air, and that show is going to be in trouble soon too. It's just an inevitable decline. I agree the economy might not really be to blame. TV moves in cycles and eras. I just think the soap era is coming to an end. There was a time when no one thought TV could do without Westerns.
Do you think the era is ending partly because of people's changing schedules, a lack of romanticism, too much of soap's "been there, done that" or the issue of reality TV feeding the voyeurism in all of us? I should have prefaced this by saying I see your point, and it's a good one! Oh, and another one...with more and more cable shows on, there's more viewing competition, even if one does record. I often wonder how the ratings would differ if there was a way to record DVRs besides TiVo.

King
Member Avatar

I think it's all of those things, lady.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply