Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Kristian Alfonso interviewed about the cuts; Carolyn Hinsey's NY Daily News Soap Dish
Topic Started: Nov 28 2008, 05:14 AM (5,280 Views)
ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ellie
Nov 30 2008, 07:13 PM
ladyofthelake
Nov 30 2008, 06:24 PM
SpriteEyes
Nov 30 2008, 06:23 PM
Glad to see KA saw the writing on the wall a few years ago and made alternate plans and not only rely on the entertainment BUSINESS.
Wasn't she supposed to be at Bloomingdale's this weekend to launch her jewelry? That's pretty high class! Good for her! And Mary Beth. And Arianne and the others who know just how vulnerable the entertainment industry is.
I'm going to read between the lines of your post and just say that if Deidre made a public appearance at Bloomingdales, they'd have to shut the store down. I think very highly of the other women you mentioned, but I think Deidre is in a different league. That's one of the reasons that the industry is reeling from this. I know, from having read your posts over the past two weeks, that you don't seem to think this is significant in the least, and I'm happy for you that the show will continue with the characters you like. However, I think it's safe to say that many in the industry don't share your preferences, and that's one reason I think Deidre's firing will have a grave impact on the show.
Wow, you have TOTALLY misconstrued my post. When I said high class, I meant the store. And, I was congratulating those ladies on their other business ventures. It was pretty savvy of them.
And, well, I might differ as to having to shut the store down if Deidre showed up there. As many famous people as there are going through Bloomingdale's and the streets of New York, I think the doors would be safe.
Why are you making a post about Kristian Alfonso's appearance about Dee anyway? This is not all about Dee Hall. There are other actors on the show. This appearance is about Kristian. This thread is about Kristian's comments about Dee AND Drake and the firing and the economy behind the show. Poor Drake gets left out. Why don't you say Drake would shut the doors? Never mind. I don't want to know. :huh:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

SpriteEyes
Nov 30 2008, 07:19 PM
I don't see how because I've read so many posts from Dee fans who claim to have already quit watching.

I don't think that Dee Hall is in any different league than KA nor do I think they would have to shut down a major dept. store.

It's NYC, I doubt most people would notice.
We'll just have to disagree on this. Deidre's firing has made news across the country. Nothing against KA, but I don't think it would be the same. I think Deidre is much more of a celebrity than anyone else on the show.

Last year, Deidre signed autographs at the NBC store in New York City, and they had to turn people away because the store was overcrowded. Mary Beth Evans signed autographs at the same store the day before, and she left early because there were not enough people. Both were equally advertised.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ellie
Nov 30 2008, 07:20 PM
ladyofthelake
Nov 30 2008, 07:18 PM
But, from rumors I've heard (and I would like to find a source, but for right now it's scuttlebutt), D&D had refused pay cuts in the past, so they probably weren't even approached about it. There is something going on that, probably more than we know.
That is not correct. Both have taken paycuts in the past.
Well, I'll look for a source for this scuttlebutt I heard, and you find yours. Until then, I will consider yours scuttlebutt like mine. And if you find your source, I will gladly stand corrected. Then, you can give me another reason why D&D would be outright fired (besides the whole "catering to the young demographic").

As of now, I'm not going to debate anymore.

Ellie

ladyofthelake
Nov 30 2008, 07:24 PM
Wow, you have TOTALLY misconstrued my post.
I thought you'd write something like that! Let's just say I'm thrilled to hear that your post was not even a veiled bash at Deidre.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ellie
SpriteEyes
Nov 30 2008, 07:19 PM
I don't see how because I've read so many posts from Dee fans who claim to have already quit watching.

I don't think that Dee Hall is in any different league than KA nor do I think they would have to shut down a major dept. store.

It's NYC, I doubt most people would notice.
We'll just have to disagree on this. Deidre's firing has made news across the country. Nothing against KA, but I don't think it would be the same. I think Deidre is much more of a celebrity than anyone else on the show.

Last year, Deidre signed autographs at the NBC store in New York City, and they had to turn people away because the store was overcrowded. Mary Beth Evans signed autographs at the same store the day before, and she left early because there were not enough people. Both were equally advertised.
I hear James Scott draws a crowd, too.
I attribute a lot of this to someone having a good publicist.
Damn, I wasn't going to debate anymore, but Sprite Eyes has such good comments! :D
Nice little slam on Mary Beth, by the way. Now, I REALLY am not going to debate and get drawn into getting a warning from someone. It's not worth it.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ellie
Nov 30 2008, 07:26 PM
ladyofthelake
Wow, you have TOTALLY misconstrued my post.
I thought you'd write something like that! Let's just say I'm thrilled to hear that your post was not even a veiled bash at Deidre.
I don't wear veils.

Ellie

ladyofthelake
Nov 30 2008, 07:28 PM
I hear James Scott draws a crowd, too.

I attribute a lot of this to someone having a good publicist.

Nice little slam on Mary Beth, by the way.
I really think you're missing my point, and I am friends with many S&K fans who know that I wouldn't "slam" Mary Beth or anyone else. Your posts over the past few weeks have attributed the uproar over Deidre's firing to everything but Deidre herself. You've mentioned her fans, her agent, and now, her publicist. I was trying to give a real-life example to show that she is in a different league than the other actors on the show in terms of "celebrity". I actually thought this was more of an objective idea than subjective, but apparently not, so I guess we'll have to just add this to our list of disagreements.

hops
Member Avatar

Ellie
Nov 30 2008, 07:20 PM
ladyofthelake
Nov 30 2008, 07:18 PM
But, from rumors I've heard (and I would like to find a source, but for right now it's scuttlebutt), D&D had refused pay cuts in the past, so they probably weren't even approached about it. There is something going on that, probably more than we know.
That is not correct. Both have taken paycuts in the past.
I believe you Ellie. I know they have taken cuts too. And that's all I'm going to say on the subject. :P

Kriss4

That may be. Deidre's been a long-standing member of Days of our Lives for a number of years in a row and does have an active and vocal fanbase.

But she also got the Friday appearance after Thanksgiving when many people were off and free to go see her, whereas Mary Beth got the Tuesday appearance when people likely were still working. I'd think a Friday when the entire nation was off would give people the freedom to go see her at the drop of a hat.

This is not to say that Deidre wouldn't have still drawn a bigger crowd, she may indeed have done so. But I know that had S/K fans had more notice and the time off, more Mary Beth fans would have been there, because we've discussed it.

Just sayin'.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Stepping away from the Deidre stuff...

The whole "it's the economy" line really bothers me. It's a convenient excuse for a network that hasn't been able to develop a successful strategy for competing in a media environment with more than two other options available to the audience. With Days in particular, there's been no real attempt to innovate, no real effort put into developing new characters, and a continual pattern of "saving" the show by falling back to the same basic storyline in the same bland, convoluted way. I think the cuts would have happened whether or not the economy was in mid-collapse. I mean, the show's future hasn't been secure for a few years now; the economy has been in freefall for a few months.

I'm not a big Hope fan, but reading stuff about the actress I really like her. I'm glad she's sticking around, and it's cool that she isn't overly-dependent on the show.

Ellie

px780
Nov 30 2008, 09:01 PM
The whole "it's the economy" line really bothers me. It's a convenient excuse for a network that hasn't been able to develop a successful strategy for competing in a media environment with more than two other options available to the audience. With Days in particular, there's been no real attempt to innovate, no real effort put into developing new characters, and a continual pattern of "saving" the show by falling back to the same basic storyline in the same bland, convoluted way. I think the cuts would have happened whether or not the economy was in mid-collapse. I mean, the show's future hasn't been secure for a few years now; the economy has been in freefall for a few months.
Couldn't agree more. Along with this is the point that Brimike made on page one of this thread, which is that soaps may do better in a poor economy. Sadly, many industries are affected by the current economic crisis, but I can't see how Days' current issues are at all related to that.

daisysmommy

Read the adage article-- it makes a giant impact on the revenue generation for the local affiliates. A good read-- and the reason things at DOOL are likely to go downhill from here-- where you'd think they'd be at a disgraced nadir-- firing Deidre Hall...seriously?

ABC has done it better, with more resspect for their finances, people's loyalty and some amount of discretion.

The fact that you should be able to do this more discretely is why I think that this may all be another in Corday's endless hoax stunts...anyway, they've finally broken my heart one too many times...I am done when the DHs are (did I mention?)

In any case, GM will only get help from the government when it creates a sensible plan-- which involves consolidation, dealership closings, etc. That is money that the locals will never see again...soaps are doomed. This is the death knell march not just for DOOL, but the genre.

http://adage.com/madisonandvine/article?article_id=132871

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

This is what I will add to the subject. I love Kristian Alfonso and always have. To me, Hope Williams Brady is a legacy character, and the show needs her. I'm not going to debate the popularity of Kristian Alfonso and Deidre Hall, but the loss of Marlena is a big deal. I think Deidre has done the best job of any actor on DAYS to promote herself over the years. It doesn't surprise me that her firing has become a big deal.

Ellie

daisysmommy
Nov 30 2008, 09:45 PM
The fact that you should be able to do this more discretely is why I think that this may all be another in Corday's endless hoax stunts...
I disagree that it's a hoax, but for this specific point you mention, I don't think Corday would let one of his silly hoaxes cross over into the mainstream media as this has. In other words, if it had been discreet, I'd think it might be a hoax. But sadly I think this is very real.

Kriss4

I don't know about that. AMC fired Julia Barr after she'd been on that show for 30 years. GH fired Anna Lee after having promised her she'd always have a job. Stuart Damon had been on GH since the 70s too, and HE was fired...shamelessly so.

Why do you think ABC has done a better job? I don't. I think we just SAY that now because what happened to Drake and Deidre was more recent. But Julia Barr, Stuart Damon, and Anna Lee were much-loved by fans of their shows.

And ABC has a full daytime lineup, whereas Days doesn't have a good lead in for Days...and Days' schedule has been messed with in several markets, which may have contributed to the rapid ratings decline, and added to the financial woes the show is currently suffering from.

daisysmommy

Kriss4
Nov 30 2008, 09:53 PM
I don't know about that. AMC fired Julia Barr after she'd been on that show for 30 years. GH fired Anna Lee after having promised her she'd always have a job. Stuart Damon had been on GH since the 70s too, and HE was fired...shamelessly so.

Why do you think ABC has done a better job? I don't. I think we just SAY that now because what happened to Drake and Deidre was more recent. But Julia Barr, Stuart Damon, and Anna Lee were much-loved by fans of their shows.

And ABC has a full daytime lineup, whereas Days doesn't have a good lead in for Days...and Days' schedule has been messed with in several markets, which may have contributed to the rapid ratings decline, and added to the financial woes the show is currently suffering from.

I am not saying ABC is good at this-- just that they are better. Until this article came out, they were flying under the radar from a viewer's perspective for a long time.

It is just stupid to alienate loyal (crazy loyal) fanbases. Ratings are never going up again-- not to the heyday. But setting your house on fire and letting the fans know the ashes are blowing their way so publicly is disgraceful is inept.

Deidre Hall equates to Susan Lucci, not Julia Barr, IMHO. PLUS-- you are firing DOOLs most popular (or one of its most popular) couples on top of Deidre Hall's own status.

You have a case on Stuart Damon being slightly in the realm of Drake H (but then again, he's not really gone....)

Anna Lee is like firing Frances Reid.

It's irrelevant-- dumb is dumb. But this firing is so dumb that unless it's smart or a hoax, it's almost too dumb. Even for Corday.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Well, my own opinion to the show comes down to this. Can Days afford to keep ALL OF THE VETERANS as is? No. They can't. That's the bottom line. So which veterans are taking up the most money? Deidre and Drake.

Even if the DHs took paycuts (which in the past it has been reported they refused to do but that might be incorrect), the only way to afford them probably means the rest of the veterans would have to go. So say goodbye to Bo/Hope, Steve/Kayla, Abe/Lexie, and obviously Tanna (who I think the last pairing is leaving as it is). Now naturally the fans of Drake/Dee might consider this an even trade and it's within their right, but when you trying to operate a show on a budget that was cut nearly in half, losing half the cast to keep two actors doesn't make any sense.

After the DHs leave, I expect Bope and S/K's time to be cut down even more, becoming supporting players to add weight, experience and depth to the younger actors. With these four's professions, it's just easier to use them. John has no job and they have never used Marlena as a shrink properly.

Now onto this:

Quote:

Deidre Hall equates to Susan Lucci, not Julia Barr,

I'm going to have to disagree with this statement heavily. First, Susan Lucci is Susan Lucci because she is an ORIGINAL member of AMC. Granted that soap is younger then Days, but Marlena showed up in Salem as a professional adult. She has no ties to family anymore except through marriage. And she was off the show for several years.

So I think if the show has to cut any veterans the most obvious and the ones whose salary would go the furthest would be the DHs. They have never accepted the position of supporting roles and you're going to now see the rest of the veterans move as their screen time is going to get cut back significantly. Furthermore since we've watched the ratings not waver significantly (negatively or positively) when they are absent, it's safe to say they are an easy ticket item. The show is trying to save it for long term, and realistically, Drake/Dee are the most logical choices to cut.

Kriss4

That may be...but Julia Barr was a long-standing and much loved character on AMC nonetheless...and she'd been active in storylines consistently during her tenure, yet AMC cut her off without so much as a by your leave after her thirty years of service to that show. I don't even think she got a sendoff. Stuart Damon was also fired...and he may not be gone, but he's basically gone. A ghost, isn't he? Or at least he was, last I heard.

I'm not saying NBC handled the whole thing with Drake and Deidre well. Far from it. I don't like it that they were fired, and feel it should have been their choice to go...I also feel they should have been granted the same chance at a paycut that the other castmembers were offered. Now, had they then refused to take such a cut, then perhaps the show would have had to make a move not to keep them, I don't know. But not to give them the opportunity, as has been reported? Not cool.

I'm just saying that ABC hasn't shown a greater respect for all of its actors than NBC. I don't think they're any better example for how to proceed than NBC has been.

JMO

Sweetness

Kriss4
Nov 30 2008, 08:33 PM
That may be. Deidre's been a long-standing member of Days of our Lives for a number of years in a row and does have an active and vocal fanbase.

But she also got the Friday appearance after Thanksgiving when many people were off and free to go see her, whereas Mary Beth got the Tuesday appearance when people likely were still working. I'd think a Friday when the entire nation was off would give people the freedom to go see her at the drop of a hat.

This is not to say that Deidre wouldn't have still drawn a bigger crowd, she may indeed have done so. But I know that had S/K fans had more notice and the time off, more Mary Beth fans would have been there, because we've discussed it.

Just sayin'.

Thank you, Kris :)

Ellie

Tripp
Nov 30 2008, 10:37 PM
Quote:

Deidre Hall equates to Susan Lucci, not Julia Barr,
I'm going to have to disagree with this statement heavily. First, Susan Lucci is Susan Lucci because she is an ORIGINAL member of AMC. Granted that soap is younger then Days, but Marlena showed up in Salem as a professional adult. She has no ties to family anymore except through marriage. And she was off the show for several years.
So do you think Susan Lucci's counterpart on Days would be Frances Reid?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply