Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Kristian Alfonso interviewed about the cuts; Carolyn Hinsey's NY Daily News Soap Dish
Topic Started: Nov 28 2008, 05:14 AM (5,226 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Ellie
Dec 1 2008, 12:00 AM
Tripp
Nov 30 2008, 10:37 PM
Quote:

Deidre Hall equates to Susan Lucci, not Julia Barr,
I'm going to have to disagree with this statement heavily. First, Susan Lucci is Susan Lucci because she is an ORIGINAL member of AMC. Granted that soap is younger then Days, but Marlena showed up in Salem as a professional adult. She has no ties to family anymore except through marriage. And she was off the show for several years.
So do you think Susan Lucci's counterpart on Days would be Frances Reid?
Susan Lucci doesn't have a counterpart!
Quote Post Goto Top

daisysmommy

Ellie
Dec 1 2008, 12:00 AM
Tripp
Nov 30 2008, 10:37 PM
Quote:

Deidre Hall equates to Susan Lucci, not Julia Barr,
I'm going to have to disagree with this statement heavily. First, Susan Lucci is Susan Lucci because she is an ORIGINAL member of AMC. Granted that soap is younger then Days, but Marlena showed up in Salem as a professional adult. She has no ties to family anymore except through marriage. And she was off the show for several years.
So do you think Susan Lucci's counterpart on Days would be Frances Reid?
I had, like, a night-brace the last time she returned to the show.

My children are headed for the orthodontist in a couple years. That's a stretch of road. And she first joined the show about the year I was born!

As for Lucci/Hall-- I am fairly certain they would [along with TG and GF from GH] be the only names non-soapies could rattle off unprompted. And I would bet people produce L&L unprompted, but the actors with prompt. And Lucci and Hall probably are better known for being known by their real names than Erica Kane and Marlena Evans...

And she has connections with literally almost every member of the bloated cast. Former presumed dead in-law, real in-law, mother, step-mother, etc.

It's hard to think of a character she hasn't had a significant relationship with-- friend, relative or Phoenix.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar
Shove your crappy show where the sun don't shine, Corday!

SpriteEyes
Nov 30 2008, 07:19 PM
I don't see how because I've read so many posts from Dee fans who claim to have already quit watching.

I don't think that Dee Hall is in any different league than KA nor do I think they would have to shut down a major dept. store.

It's NYC, I doubt most people would notice.
Thank you for this post! :rockon:

Kriss4

It's unfortunate that Drake and Deidre were fired...and many, many fans, regardless of fanbase affiliation, feel that way.

But Kristian and Peter have DEFINITELY made their mark on this soap. Say the names Bo and Hope, and people KNOW who you're talking about. Kristian's name is out there in more than one venue now, too, because of her jewelry and clothing line, so she's known outside soaps, and becoming more well-known all the time.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

This is just going round and round. It sucks that Marlena is being written out of the show. It sucks if it was handled badly. But like Tripp said, the budget has been cut by almost half, and some people have to go. Ultimately, it doesn't matter if Deidre is the most popular actress in dayime, she still was fired. That is the reality. I'm sure if Dee was willing to take the salary that Suzanne Rogers makes, DAYS wouldn't write Marlena out. But I doubt she would do that.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Dec 1 2008, 12:32 AM
It's unfortunate that Drake and Deidre were fired...and many, many fans, regardless of fanbase affiliation, feel that way.

But Kristian and Peter have DEFINITELY made their mark on this soap. Say the names Bo and Hope, and people KNOW who you're talking about. Kristian's name is out there in more than one venue now, too, because of her jewelry and clothing line, so she's known outside soaps, and becoming more well-known all the time.

Bo and Hope combined, are more important than Marlena as a character. They are part of the two core families on the show. Kristian did well in primetime as well. I totally agree with with what you are saying. And to be honest, if it was promised that we would get good stories for Suzanne Rogers and Susan Seaforth Hayes, I wouldn't really miss Marlena. and i know they wouldn't charge as much lol
Edited by Mikegoldy, Dec 1 2008, 12:38 AM.

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Dec 1 2008, 12:32 AM

Exactly! :smooch:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ladyofthelake
Nov 28 2008, 07:59 PM
Y&RWorldTurner
Nov 28 2008, 07:08 PM
The "economy" is not the big factor, it's plays a part, but it isn't the major reason why DAYS has to make all of these cuts.

Fact remains, Corday and company have mismanaged this show's budget for YEARS. If the show wasn't in debt, and managed its budget successfully over the past 10 years or so, it wouldn't be in as bad of a predicament as it is in today. Why do you think the ABC soaps and the Bell soaps still manage to hold on to most of the veteran cast they have - THEY KNOW HOW TO BALANACE THEIR BUDGET.

The 40% budget cut is massive yes, but had this show been in a stable financial place beforehand, they could've worked around it more successfully.
Yes, Corday mismanages, but there is also a thread here (or maybe it's at SON) where it says that ABC is having to make salary cuts, too. His mismanagement and the economy together are lousy timing.
Plus, do you think KA is really going to say 'it's because of that jackass Corday?"
Exactly.

I doubt Corday would do this or have to do it if not for the bad shape the rest of NBC was in. Everyone at NBC is suffering. The whole network is cutting left and right. Ironically, I think the bad shape of NBC is how Days even got the renewal but I also think it's what is hurting it. NBC couldn't afford or take the time to look for a replacement but they needed Days to be cheaper.

Corday would never do something this bad, especially without negotiation. Maybe he would get rid of one but not both. The man is stupid but he knows their popularity. God knows he's done enough interviews having to assure the J&M fanbase. The man knows who is popular. Whether he does something about it is another story. He did what he had to do. It's not personal and this would've happened regardless of the state of the show or Corday mismanaging. Maybe not so quick but it would've. The economy sucks, which meads advertisers are drastically affected. Where do you think show's get their money from? That hurts.. Ratings are down across the board both in daytime and primetime. The whole entertainment industry is cutting.

I also laugh at how some say ABC has kept their veteran cast intact. Was it forgotten how GH practically dismantled it's cast of vets since 2001? I won't list them but since Guza returned it's been like a exodus. Same goes for AMC. The vets there are few and far between. OLTL is the only show that has held on to them but for how long? The ratings suck and the way the story is telling story, it will eventually have to make cuts. It can't be cheap to produce. And just watch how fast many shows can vets if D&D are gone and the ratings stay the same. At least Days still has Frances Reid, Suzanne Rogers, Peggy Mckay, Peter Reckell, Kristian Alfonso, Alison Sweeney, Bryan Dattilo, Joe Mascolo, etc. Some shows don't even have that and they don't use them like Days has and still does either. Someone go find Rachel Ames or Genie Francis. Speaking of Genie Francis, she is one of the most popular actresses in daytime history. People talk of Dee Hall being known all over but what about Genie Francis? Luke and Laura are a household name yet she only gets asked back for limited runs. My point is anyone is expendable, especially now. Soaps are ensembles. Always have and always should be. No one person or couple is the show. Some of these soaps have kept characters around for too long just because of who they are and that isn't good. Sometimes you need to rest a character and after 20+ years, it is going to be kind of hard to find stuff to do for characters. That doesn't mean fire all vets but some are easier to find stuff to do for then others and some eventually do need a break.

I also am disturbed by this notion that Dee Hall and the character of Marlena is in some way more important then Kristian, Mary Beth, etc. I recognize Dee's star power but, as far as the show goes, this is an ensemble and it bugs me to see people weighing veteran actors and characters against each other. They all have major value. Bo and Hope were HUGE before Drake even first aired with Dee. They had large crowds all over. Anyone remember the New Orleans story with them and Frances Reid where fans were mobbing them? How about Steve and Kayla? Their wedding was the highest rated daytime wedding (and I think episode) ever. It was the last time Days beat Y&R and the last time someone was above them I believe. What I'm saying is there are others who have just as much impact on Days as Dee and Drake. Dee is a huge star but she is not the end all to be all some are making her out to be. Does that mean this can't hurt Days? No. I don't think it will from a ratings standpoint but from other standpoints, sure. I love Dee but this is not the apocalypse IMO.

They can't really about loyalty anymore. I'm not absolving Corday or Days but there are other factors just as much at play, if not more.

Kristian is very classy and I'm glad she commented. It is nothing personal and she seems to understand the situation that the show is simply trying to survive. She was smart to get her business going because it gives her a nice fallback.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Dec 1 2008, 01:39 AM.

Kriss4

I have a problem with this too...and maybe I'm misunderstanding the intent of some posters when I say this...

But it seems as though some people are saying that of all the actors on Days, Deidre's really the only one who matters. Now that she's going, that's it.

Days is done?

I'm not saying Days won't be impacted by Deidre's leaving. I would never make that assertion. I'm well aware that Deidre is very popular among Days fans. But what about Peter and Kristian? They've given much to this show, but the tone of some posts seems to indicate that they don't have much impact on this show and I think they DO.

I understand and sympathize with J/M fans, but I don't like to see other actors' contributions to this show over the years downplayed just because Drake and Deidre are leaving.

Peter and Kristian have a huge fanbase...James Scott does as well...and Stephen and Mary Beth have lots of fans, too.

I don't know. As I said, I could be misunderstanding...

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Dec 1 2008, 01:58 AM
I have a problem with this too...and maybe I'm misunderstanding the intent of some posters when I say this...

But it seems as though some people are saying that of all the actors on Days, Deidre's really the only one who matters. Now that she's going, that's it.

Days is done?

I'm not saying Days won't be impacted by Deidre's leaving. I would never make that assertion. I'm well aware that Deidre is very popular among Days fans. But what about Peter and Kristian? They've given much to this show, but the tone of some posts seems to indicate that they don't have much impact on this show and I think they DO.

I understand and sympathize with J/M fans, but I don't like to see other actors' contributions to this show over the years downplayed just because Drake and Deidre are leaving.

Peter and Kristian have a huge fanbase...James Scott does as well...and Stephen and Mary Beth have lots of fans, too.

I don't know. As I said, I could be misunderstanding...

VERY well said, Kris! :rockon:

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I haven't read it as people downplaying their contributions to the show. My take has been there's an idea that Deidre is different because she's known outside of soaps whereas Alfonso is not.

Personally, I think they're about equal- if you show their faces, people would say something like "hey it's that woman from that soap opera." More people might pinpoint Deidre by saying something like "she was the one that was possessed, right?" but I kind of doubt they'd know her on name alone.

I don't mean that as a slight on either one, their talent, value or worth; it's about where the genre is right now in the cultural landscape. And I think there kind of is a valid point in noting that Hall has been the star in bigger storylines- things that got noticed outside the soap world, for better or worse. It doesn't mean that others haven't had a major impact; hers is kind of different, more individual.

So it's not about their relative impact on the show, from my reading of comments. It's about how the person carries beyond that and what that could conceivably bring to the show. I'm not so convinced that any of them add much value (in general- they add value for me because I like them better than the newer half-drawn characters) at this point- they seem to be down to a core audience that'll watch whatever.

Pudge Goddess
Member Avatar

Ellie
Nov 30 2008, 07:13 PM
ladyofthelake
Nov 30 2008, 06:24 PM
SpriteEyes
Nov 30 2008, 06:23 PM
Glad to see KA saw the writing on the wall a few years ago and made alternate plans and not only rely on the entertainment BUSINESS.
Wasn't she supposed to be at Bloomingdale's this weekend to launch her jewelry? That's pretty high class! Good for her! And Mary Beth. And Arianne and the others who know just how vulnerable the entertainment industry is.
I'm going to read between the lines of your post and just say that if Deidre made a public appearance at Bloomingdales, they'd have to shut the store down. I think very highly of the other women you mentioned, but I think Deidre is in a different league. That's one of the reasons that the industry is reeling from this. I know, from having read your posts over the past two weeks, that you don't seem to think this is significant in the least, and I'm happy for you that the show will continue with the characters you like. However, I think it's safe to say that many in the industry don't share your preferences, and that's one reason I think Deidre's firing will have a grave impact on the show.
I don't believe the preferences of the "industry" matter much here. Not that anyone took a bullet poll to see what those were. :wink: It's that 18-49 viewer demo that all the advertisers want which pull the most weight. I'm not so sure the industry is "reeling" from this either. That assigns some sort of emotion to the soap media as an entity. However, I give major props to Deidre's publicist in getting this story so much attention -- because the character has been past her hay day on the show for quite a while.

I disagree that Deidre's firing will have a "grave" impact on the show. I see that kind of sentiment coming from her biggest fans, but not necessarily the general audience. She's been off the canvas before, and the show did fine without her. Just as the show did fine when Kristian, Mary Beth, Patsy and Missy left. I don't believe any one individual actor carries that much weight. It's the overall quality of the show that matters most IMO. These days it seems no one is happy with how their favorites are being written.

I know plenty of folks who were surprised about the firings, but they're not particularly upset about it. The DHs haven't had a good story in many years.

Ellie

Pudge Goddess
Dec 2 2008, 12:31 AM
However, I give major props to Deidre's publicist in getting this story so much attention -- because the character has been past her hay day on the show for quite a while.

I disagree that Deidre's firing will have a "grave" impact on the show.
All her publicist did was confirm to those who asked that Ken Corday is removing Marlena from the canvas. The media outlets picked up the story from SOD and then from each other, because I guess they disagree with your assessment of how popular she is. But about the impact on the show - though you and I see differently on this, it's of course only speculation at this point. We can meet back here in six months and discuss it again!

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Looking back, Marlena and John, and to a lesser extent, the Carrie, Austin, Sami triangle, were a major part of what helped DAYS achieve such high ratings during JER's run. And certainly, Marlena's demon posession, and her "reveal" as the Salem Serial Killer, brought her to the forefront of the show. However, despite the massive appeal she has to her ardent fans, to many people, the character has become a joke. John and Marlena have become a joke. Their constant presumed deaths, amnesia, brainwashing, yearly kidnappings.... For a lot of people, it's hard to take her seriously. I still think that Marlena should be on the show, but the show will move on without her, and if DAYS would use actresses such as Suzanne Rogers, Susan Seaforth Hayes, and Renee Jones to their full potential, well, i don't think there will be any difference in the ratings. She will be missed, just like she was last time. But, from a story perspective, I believe that Hope offers more potential to the show than Marlena, and maybe it's time to give John and Marlena the happy ending they deserve and just move on. Although I know how hard that it for fans of the couple and Dee, the actress

Ellie

goldylicious
Dec 2 2008, 01:03 AM
I still think that Marlena should be on the show, but the show will move on without her, and if DAYS would use actresses such as Suzanne Rogers, Susan Seaforth Hayes, and Renee Jones to their full potential, well, i don't think there will be any difference in the ratings.
I don't necessarily agree, but either way, do you really think they'd do that? I think many are viewing this firing as "the beginning of the end" for Days. I personally think it's a sign that the vets are going to be used less than they are now (or not at all), and that Bo and Hope are going to turn into the Jim and Cindy Walsh of Salem. If someone could convince me that Drake and Deidre were fired so that the other vets could be used more, then I would feel better about this. But right now, I see it this way: if Days is willing to cut their (yes, arguably) most 'famous' veteran actors, then they can't value any of their other veteran actors that much at all.

Mason

I don't think the show would be affected by Marlena's absence under certain circumstances, those being A) the overall writing for the show is spectacular so people will want to watch no matter what, and B) daytime soaps (and DAYS particularly) not being in such an unstable, precarious state. But let's be real, here. DAYS has neither of those things going for it.
Edited by Mason, Dec 2 2008, 01:16 AM.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 2 2008, 01:16 AM
goldylicious
I still think that Marlena should be on the show, but the show will move on without her, and if DAYS would use actresses such as Suzanne Rogers, Susan Seaforth Hayes, and Renee Jones to their full potential, well, i don't think there will be any difference in the ratings.
I don't necessarily agree, but either way, do you really think they'd do that? I think many are viewing this firing as "the beginning of the end" for Days. I personally think it's a sign that the vets are going to be used less than they are now (or not at all), and that Bo and Hope are going to turn into the Jim and Cindy Walsh of Salem. If someone could convince me that Drake and Deidre were fired so that the other vets could be used more, then I would feel better about this. But right now, I see it this way: if Days is willing to cut their (yes, arguably) most 'famous' veteran actors, then they can't value any of their other veteran actors that much at all.
I hear what you are saying, but even on the crapfest that is GL, Josh and Reva still get major story, so why not Bo and Hope?

e83talus
Member Avatar

goldylicious
Dec 2 2008, 02:57 AM
Ellie
goldylicious
I hear what you are saying, but even on the crapfest that is GL, Josh and Reva still get major story, so why not Bo and Hope?
Because Days desn't have a record of doing that.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

e83talus
Dec 2 2008, 03:14 AM
goldylicious
Dec 2 2008, 02:57 AM
Ellie
goldylicious
Because Days desn't have a record of doing that.
actually, DAYS more than most other soaps, keeps their longtime stars frontburner. In the top 10 rankings of airtime this year, Dee, Drake, Peter, and Kristian are all there. After the budget cut, who the heck knows what will happen.

Kyrai

goldylicious
Looking back, Marlena and John, and to a lesser extent, the Carrie, Austin, Sami triangle, were a major part of what helped DAYS achieve such high ratings during JER's run. And certainly, Marlena's demon posession, and her "reveal" as the Salem Serial Killer, brought her to the forefront of the show. However, despite the massive appeal she has to her ardent fans, to many people, the character has become a joke. John and Marlena have become a joke. Their constant presumed deaths, amnesia, brainwashing, yearly kidnappings.... For a lot of people, it's hard to take her seriously. I still think that Marlena should be on the show, but the show will move on without her, and if DAYS would use actresses such as Suzanne Rogers, Susan Seaforth Hayes, and Renee Jones to their full potential, well, i don't think there will be any difference in the ratings. She will be missed, just like she was last time. But, from a story perspective, I believe that Hope offers more potential to the show than Marlena, and maybe it's time to give John and Marlena the happy ending they deserve and just move on. Although I know how hard that it for fans of the couple and Dee, the actress
I love Maggie, Julie, and Lexie, and I'd love to see the writers on the show use every character to their full potential, but I think if they used John and Marlena to their full potential they could get more viewers back than Maggie, Julie, and Lexie would draw in combined.

I hear alot that people don't like the stories that have gone too far, but I wouldn't be surprised if many do prefer more action based fun than sitting around talking. I watched Days for excitement.

Someone posted that Days needed it's identity back, and I think that's a big part of the problem. Days got reamed for it's fanciful plots during the 90s, but they had viewers back then. Y&R might have been the 'better' show, but people liked Days because it gave them something different. Some people like pure escapism and fun over dreary day to day life. If it were offered well again, it might surprise people. But soapolitically, it seems like no one wants to advocate camp because of the camp that failed so dramatically. I would be willing to bet more boring love stories failed on the show than the action stories, but the high camp sticks out.

I don't think Marlena is any more of a joke than anyone on Days right now or any plot. It's all silly right now, so singling them out at a time when every character is being pretty much destroyed including them is unfair. After this baby faking deal, would it be impossible to ever take Nicole seriously? She's performing in a story, and she can move on from it hopefully, like she has all the other stuff she's played.

Sure their outrageous history is well-known, but if you actually watch them on the show (when portrayed more like themselves than they have been this year), John and Marlena are a couple founded on love. You don't get better than that for a soap couple. I know all the crazy stuff, but the love is what J&M are about. I will joke about their antics with other J&M fans, but they are far from a joke to me. I love their crazy mixed-up history.

I think when people talk about J&M, they talk about the fun stuff, but when they watch, they watch the current story. Unfortunately, their current story sucked, as did most of the stories this year. They're just being singled out for it because they have the 'misfortune' of being highly paid for doing a job well over the years. It is really not their fault that this story was so awful.

This is just my opinion, and I don't disrespect yours at all. There is no way to really know how all people really feel. I just wanted to give my viewpoint.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply