Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Kristian Alfonso interviewed about the cuts; Carolyn Hinsey's NY Daily News Soap Dish
Topic Started: Nov 28 2008, 05:14 AM (5,292 Views)
Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Kyrai
Dec 2 2008, 12:33 PM
goldylicious
Dec 2 2008, 01:03 AM
Looking back, Marlena and John, and to a lesser extent, the Carrie, Austin, Sami triangle, were a major part of what helped DAYS achieve such high ratings during JER's run. And certainly, Marlena's demon posession, and her "reveal" as the Salem Serial Killer, brought her to the forefront of the show. However, despite the massive appeal she has to her ardent fans, to many people, the character has become a joke. John and Marlena have become a joke. Their constant presumed deaths, amnesia, brainwashing, yearly kidnappings.... For a lot of people, it's hard to take her seriously. I still think that Marlena should be on the show, but the show will move on without her, and if DAYS would use actresses such as Suzanne Rogers, Susan Seaforth Hayes, and Renee Jones to their full potential, well, i don't think there will be any difference in the ratings. She will be missed, just like she was last time. But, from a story perspective, I believe that Hope offers more potential to the show than Marlena, and maybe it's time to give John and Marlena the happy ending they deserve and just move on. Although I know how hard that it for fans of the couple and Dee, the actress
I love Maggie, Julie, and Lexie, and I'd love to see the writers on the show use every character to their full potential, but I think if they used John and Marlena to their full potential they could get more viewers back than Maggie, Julie, and Lexie would draw in combined.

I hear alot that people don't like the stories that have gone too far, but I wouldn't be surprised if many do prefer more action based fun than sitting around talking. I watched Days for excitement.

Someone posted that Days needed it's identity back, and I think that's a big part of the problem. Days got reamed for it's fanciful plots during the 90s, but they had viewers back then. Y&R might have been the 'better' show, but people liked Days because it gave them something different. Some people like pure escapism and fun over dreary day to day life. If it were offered well again, it might surprise people. But soapolitically, it seems like no one wants to advocate camp because of the camp that failed so dramatically. I would be willing to bet more boring love stories failed on the show than the action stories, but the high camp sticks out.

I don't think Marlena is any more of a joke than anyone on Days right now or any plot. It's all silly right now, so singling them out at a time when every character is being pretty much destroyed including them is unfair. After this baby faking deal, would it be impossible to ever take Nicole seriously? She's performing in a story, and she can move on from it hopefully, like she has all the other stuff she's played.

Sure their outrageous history is well-known, but if you actually watch them on the show (when portrayed more like themselves than they have been this year), John and Marlena are a couple founded on love. You don't get better than that for a soap couple. I know all the crazy stuff, but the love is what J&M are about. I will joke about their antics with other J&M fans, but they are far from a joke to me. I love their crazy mixed-up history.

I think when people talk about J&M, they talk about the fun stuff, but when they watch, they watch the current story. Unfortunately, their current story sucked, as did most of the stories this year. They're just being singled out for it because they have the 'misfortune' of being highly paid for doing a job well over the years. It is really not their fault that this story was so awful.

This is just my opinion, and I don't disrespect yours at all. There is no way to really know how all people really feel. I just wanted to give my viewpoint.
I appreciate the response, and i understand your feelings. It's bad enough when your favorites are let go, it's even harder when they are bashed. I really do truly love Marlena; John not so much. I wish that we could go back to November 2007, when John died. His death and Marlena's reaction to it, brought so much depth back to the character. I know it hurt the John and Marlena fans, but Marlena could have had so much story after that. I'm pretty wishy washy with my feelings here, but I just want the show to survive.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

goldylicious
Dec 2 2008, 12:15 PM
e83talus
Dec 2 2008, 03:14 AM
goldylicious
Dec 2 2008, 02:57 AM
Ellie
Dec 2 2008, 01:16 AM
goldylicious
Dec 2 2008, 01:03 AM
I still think that Marlena should be on the show, but the show will move on without her, and if DAYS would use actresses such as Suzanne Rogers, Susan Seaforth Hayes, and Renee Jones to their full potential, well, i don't think there will be any difference in the ratings.
I don't necessarily agree, but either way, do you really think they'd do that? I think many are viewing this firing as "the beginning of the end" for Days. I personally think it's a sign that the vets are going to be used less than they are now (or not at all), and that Bo and Hope are going to turn into the Jim and Cindy Walsh of Salem. If someone could convince me that Drake and Deidre were fired so that the other vets could be used more, then I would feel better about this. But right now, I see it this way: if Days is willing to cut their (yes, arguably) most 'famous' veteran actors, then they can't value any of their other veteran actors that much at all.
I hear what you are saying, but even on the crapfest that is GL, Josh and Reva still get major story, so why not Bo and Hope?
Because Days desn't have a record of doing that.
actually, DAYS more than most other soaps, keeps their longtime stars frontburner. In the top 10 rankings of airtime this year, Dee, Drake, Peter, and Kristian are all there. After the budget cut, who the heck knows what will happen.
I agree. The issue isn't them being used (unless you are Steve, Kayla, Tony, or Anna). The issue is how they are used in terms of story. It seems like people will easily forget how much characters were used if the story sucks but, if the story is good, it's easier to notice how much they were used.

J&M and Bope have been used a ton this year and Steve and Kayla were used a ton early on. Even with the recent focus on the young cast/Nicole/EJ/etc, the show is still using vets pretty well (Bo, Hope, Maggie, Kate, Stefano, etc). Whether you like how they are being used or not is an entirely different issue LOL.

Pretty In Pink

Ellie
Nov 30 2008, 07:13 PM
ladyofthelake
Nov 30 2008, 06:24 PM
SpriteEyes
Nov 30 2008, 06:23 PM
Glad to see KA saw the writing on the wall a few years ago and made alternate plans and not only rely on the entertainment BUSINESS.
Wasn't she supposed to be at Bloomingdale's this weekend to launch her jewelry? That's pretty high class! Good for her! And Mary Beth. And Arianne and the others who know just how vulnerable the entertainment industry is.
I'm going to read between the lines of your post and just say that if Deidre made a public appearance at Bloomingdales, they'd have to shut the store down. I think very highly of the other women you mentioned, but I think Deidre is in a different league. That's one of the reasons that the industry is reeling from this. I know, from having read your posts over the past two weeks, that you don't seem to think this is significant in the least, and I'm happy for you that the show will continue with the characters you like. However, I think it's safe to say that many in the industry don't share your preferences, and that's one reason I think Deidre's firing will have a grave impact on the show.
Bloomingdale's would have to shut the store down if the Deeva showed up? LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is hilarious! :lol:
Of course she is in a different league. Hell, she is in a different age bracket and old enough to be their mother!
Edited by Pretty In Pink, Dec 2 2008, 04:32 PM.

Pretty In Pink

ladyofthelake
Nov 30 2008, 07:24 PM
Ellie
ladyofthelake
SpriteEyes
Glad to see KA saw the writing on the wall a few years ago and made alternate plans and not only rely on the entertainment BUSINESS.
Wasn't she supposed to be at Bloomingdale's this weekend to launch her jewelry? That's pretty high class! Good for her! And Mary Beth. And Arianne and the others who know just how vulnerable the entertainment industry is.
I'm going to read between the lines of your post and just say that if Deidre made a public appearance at Bloomingdales, they'd have to shut the store down. I think very highly of the other women you mentioned, but I think Deidre is in a different league. That's one of the reasons that the industry is reeling from this. I know, from having read your posts over the past two weeks, that you don't seem to think this is significant in the least, and I'm happy for you that the show will continue with the characters you like. However, I think it's safe to say that many in the industry don't share your preferences, and that's one reason I think Deidre's firing will have a grave impact on the show.
Wow, you have TOTALLY misconstrued my post. When I said high class, I meant the store. And, I was congratulating those ladies on their other business ventures. It was pretty savvy of them.
And, well, I might differ as to having to shut the store down if Deidre showed up there. As many famous people as there are going through Bloomingdale's and the streets of New York, I think the doors would be safe.
Why are you making a post about Kristian Alfonso's appearance about Dee anyway? This is not all about Dee Hall. There are other actors on the show. This appearance is about Kristian. This thread is about Kristian's comments about Dee AND Drake and the firing and the economy behind the show. Poor Drake gets left out. Why don't you say Drake would shut the doors? Never mind. I don't want to know. :huh:
Didn't you already know that Deidre Hall can walk on water? *sarcasm*

Pretty In Pink

Pudge Goddess
Dec 2 2008, 12:31 AM
Ellie
ladyofthelake
SpriteEyes
I don't believe the preferences of the "industry" matter much here. Not that anyone took a bullet poll to see what those were. :wink: It's that 18-49 viewer demo that all the advertisers want which pull the most weight. I'm not so sure the industry is "reeling" from this either. That assigns some sort of emotion to the soap media as an entity. However, I give major props to Deidre's publicist in getting this story so much attention -- because the character has been past her hay day on the show for quite a while.

I disagree that Deidre's firing will have a "grave" impact on the show. I see that kind of sentiment coming from her biggest fans, but not necessarily the general audience. She's been off the canvas before, and the show did fine without her. Just as the show did fine when Kristian, Mary Beth, Patsy and Missy left. I don't believe any one individual actor carries that much weight. It's the overall quality of the show that matters most IMO. These days it seems no one is happy with how their favorites are being written.

I know plenty of folks who were surprised about the firings, but they're not particularly upset about it. The DHs haven't had a good story in many years.
:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Kyrai

goldylicious
Dec 2 2008, 02:31 PM
I appreciate the response, and i understand your feelings. It's bad enough when your favorites are let go, it's even harder when they are bashed. I really do truly love Marlena; John not so much. I wish that we could go back to November 2007, when John died. His death and Marlena's reaction to it, brought so much depth back to the character. I know it hurt the John and Marlena fans, but Marlena could have had so much story after that. I'm pretty wishy washy with my feelings here, but I just want the show to survive.
I can certainly understand wishy washy. It's been hard watching the show all year. I guess the reason I still post is that even though I'm resigned to not watching, even feeling like I'll be better off, it's hard to let go after all these years.

I've lost many couples before, and I still love so many characters, but it's just not the same knowing J&M won't be on at all. Losing John actually hits me harder than Marlena, but I love both of them.

Thanks for taking my post in the spirit intended. I dislike Corday and Higley, but I'll still be wishing the best for the show for the fans and the actors. If nothing else, maybe all this hoopla will get tptb to write good stories and re-focus and things will improve.

Pretty In Pink

Ellie
Dec 2 2008, 12:49 AM
Pudge Goddess
However, I give major props to Deidre's publicist in getting this story so much attention -- because the character has been past her hay day on the show for quite a while.

I disagree that Deidre's firing will have a "grave" impact on the show.
All her publicist did was confirm to those who asked that Ken Corday is removing Marlena from the canvas. The media outlets picked up the story from SOD and then from each other, because I guess they disagree with your assessment of how popular she is. But about the impact on the show - though you and I see differently on this, it's of course only speculation at this point. We can meet back here in six months and discuss it again!
Deidre has been on the show longer than she should have been anyways. There comes a time in a person's life when they reach a certain age that they need to retire, collect their social security checks, spend time with the kids or grandkids and live out the rest of their life before death comes knocking at their door. This is Corday's way of getting rid of the excess fat that isn't needed anymore.

Mason
Member Avatar

Pretty In Pink
Dec 2 2008, 04:51 PM
Deidre has been on the show longer than she should have been anyways. There comes a time in a person's life when they reach a certain age that they need to retire, collect their social security checks, spend time with the kids or grandkids and live out the rest of their life before death comes knocking at their door.
Well, that sounds a little ageist, LoL.

CatherineEarnshaw

i think it is funny that some interpret fans' admiration for Deidre's acting as thinking she "walks on water." Whatever.

While I don't think that the ratings will go down much because of Drake and Deidre's firings, I also don't think that Days is doing itself any favors either by getting rid of them.

And some actors are more popular than others.

CatherineEarnshaw

Pretty In Pink
Dec 2 2008, 04:46 PM
Pudge Goddess
Ellie
ladyofthelake
SpriteEyes
I don't believe the preferences of the "industry" matter much here. Not that anyone took a bullet poll to see what those were. :wink: It's that 18-49 viewer demo that all the advertisers want which pull the most weight. I'm not so sure the industry is "reeling" from this either. That assigns some sort of emotion to the soap media as an entity. However, I give major props to Deidre's publicist in getting this story so much attention -- because the character has been past her hay day on the show for quite a while.

I disagree that Deidre's firing will have a "grave" impact on the show. I see that kind of sentiment coming from her biggest fans, but not necessarily the general audience. She's been off the canvas before, and the show did fine without her. Just as the show did fine when Kristian, Mary Beth, Patsy and Missy left. I don't believe any one individual actor carries that much weight. It's the overall quality of the show that matters most IMO. These days it seems no one is happy with how their favorites are being written.

I know plenty of folks who were surprised about the firings, but they're not particularly upset about it. The DHs haven't had a good story in many years.
:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
Deidre has a publicist??? lol

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

By the way, I'm still trying to figure out how my comments about Kristian Alfonso, who once again, was the main topic of this thread and the main topic of the little exchange between Sprite Eyes and myself, got turned around to Dee Hall. Which is why I've kinda been avoiding this thread, except to insert this one more time. It's pretty obvious that I don't see Deidre Hall as the be-all and end all of the topic. Or of the show, and it gets tiresome when people try to discuss other actors, and things turn around once more to Hall. What's ever sadder? No one brings up Drake. He got fired, too, and KA talked about having to say goodbye to HIM. Where are the tears for the J part of John and Marlena or J&M? Is it because he didn't follow the status quo at times?

And, I think it's sad that someone who should know better go on the attack right away and make assumptions about something a poster said about SOME OTHER ACTOR. And, the comment about the publicist? Well, whatever. Judging from many posts around, it's debatable as to whether Marlena's current "popularity" is causing all this, or whether it's the fact that she was on the show for ages. And, I just wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a publicist's or agent's hand in this whole thing, but that will be up to debate. Apparently, she wasn't at Bloomingdale's, so we'll never know. By the way, Rake, congrats for getting to see Kristian! :)

And for Hall's firing being the end of soaps? Please.... :huh: Soaps had problems long before this.

If anything, I see subtle digs at KA and MBE now that they will be the reigning vets (whatever a vet is) for a while. How blatant is that to say that Hall would cause the doors to be locked and ever MORE blatant to bring out that MBE had to leave some event EARLY? If my comments were "veiled", then those were out and out......well, never mind.

And know, since it's common knowledge that I'm out to save the world, I will go do so. Bash away at me, folks. And to those of you who remember what the topic of conversation was to begin with, kudos to you. :smooch:

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Pretty In Pink
Ellie
Pudge Goddess
However, I give major props to Deidre's publicist in getting this story so much attention -- because the character has been past her hay day on the show for quite a while.

All her publicist did was confirm to those who asked that Ken Corday is removing Marlena from the canvas. The media outlets picked up the story from SOD and then from each other, because I guess they disagree with your assessment of how popular she is. But about the impact on the show - though you and I see differently on this, it's of course only speculation at this point. We can meet back here in six months and discuss it again!
Deidre has been on the show longer than she should have been anyways. There comes a time in a person's life when they reach a certain age that they need to retire, collect their social security checks, spend time with the kids or grandkids and live out the rest of their life before death comes knocking at their door. This is Corday's way of getting rid of the excess fat that isn't needed anymore.
Oh come on, you can't tell me you are not trying to bate people now to respond lol 61 is far from over the hill and most actors happily work into their 80s.

Pretty In Pink

goldylicious
Dec 2 2008, 08:12 PM
Pretty In Pink
Ellie
Pudge Goddess

Oh come on, you can't tell me you are not trying to bate people now to respond lol 61 is far from over the hill and most actors happily work into their 80s.
Nope, I'm not baiting anyone, just voicing my opinion. :wave:
Edited by Pretty In Pink, Dec 2 2008, 08:30 PM.

Kyrai

I'm not bashing at all. I think the thread was about KA's comments on the cut of D&D, so Deidre was involved from the beginning. I do care about Drake getting fired. He is/was my favorite.

I personally hate that this has digressed into a bashing contest. Much as I love D&D, I've always felt it was an ensemble show. Knocking anyone whose remaining on the show isn't going to bring D&D back. Knocking D&D when they are leaving isn't going to make the show survive any better. I'd rather not remember the end of D&D be about sniping. I'd rather it be remembered as how well the whole cast got along and worked together and the good memories they gave us. John, Marlena, Bo, Hope, Kayla, Steve, Kim, Shane, Caroline, Shawn, etc were like family to me on the show. I hate that D&D were fired, but I'll hate it even more if they leave and the last thoughts of J&M are of negative thoughts on both sides.

It's really upsetting to see fans turn on fans of other actors over this. This is not the actors fault. It is Corday and Higley, maybe NBC, but not the actors.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

They really, really, really, need to give John and Marlena a romantic sendoff. They owe it to the fans of the couple

Kyrai

goldylicious
Dec 2 2008, 11:23 PM
They really, really, really, need to give John and Marlena a romantic sendoff. They owe it to the fans of the couple
Thank you!

I hope Days gets new enthusiastic talented writers or that the current writers gel and start writing wonderful enjoyable stories. Days fans deserve that. :)

Jiggs
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Dec 2 2008, 07:19 PM
By the way, I'm still trying to figure out how my comments about Kristian Alfonso, who once again, was the main topic of this thread and the main topic of the little exchange between Sprite Eyes and myself, got turned around to Dee Hall. Which is why I've kinda been avoiding this thread, except to insert this one more time. It's pretty obvious that I don't see Deidre Hall as the be-all and end all of the topic. Or of the show, and it gets tiresome when people try to discuss other actors, and things turn around once more to Hall. What's ever sadder? No one brings up Drake. He got fired, too, and KA talked about having to say goodbye to HIM. Where are the tears for the J part of John and Marlena or J&M? Is it because he didn't follow the status quo at times?
didn't you go into the thread about Deidre and Drake's firing and try to make it about other actors? Asking why nobody made a big deal out of other actors, such as Judi Evans, being fired? Didn't you go into the Alison Sweeney baby shower thread and try to make it about Deidre Hall? You do it all the time, what's the big deal? :shrug:

Flying Monkey
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Dec 3 2008, 12:30 AM
ladyofthelake
didn't you go into the thread about Deidre and Drake's firing and try to make it about other actors? Asking why nobody made a big deal out of other actors, such as Judi Evans, being fired? Didn't you go into the Alison Sweeney baby shower thread and try to make it about Deidre Hall? You do it all the time, what's the big deal? :shrug:
True dat!

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar
Shove your crappy show where the sun don't shine, Corday!

ladyofthelake

And, I think it's sad that someone who should know better go on the attack right away and make assumptions about something a poster said about SOME OTHER ACTOR. And, the comment about the publicist? Well, whatever. Judging from many posts around, it's debatable as to whether Marlena's current "popularity" is causing all this, or whether it's the fact that she was on the show for ages. And, I just wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a publicist's or agent's hand in this whole thing, but that will be up to debate. Apparently, she wasn't at Bloomingdale's, so we'll never know. By the way, Rake, congrats for getting to see Kristian! :)

And for Hall's firing being the end of soaps? Please.... :huh: Soaps had problems long before this.

If anything, I see subtle digs at KA and MBE now that they will be the reigning vets (whatever a vet is) for a while. How blatant is that to say that Hall would cause the doors to be locked and ever MORE blatant to bring out that MBE had to leave some event EARLY? If my comments were "veiled", then those were out and out......well, never mind.

And know, since it's common knowledge that I'm out to save the world, I will go do so. Bash away at me, folks. And to those of you who remember what the topic of conversation was to begin with, kudos to you. :smooch:
AWESOME post! :rockon:

Pretty In Pink

Deidre Hall this and Deidre Hall that. :blah: I will be glad when she is off Days for good. It can't come soon enough for me.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply