Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW blurb: James Scott
Topic Started: Nov 28 2008, 09:09 AM (5,612 Views)
SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

yes, please remove those cajones from whatever purse they're in and give them back to EJ!

And while we're at it, give Sami back hers.

Quote:

Hmmmm, good point. Actually, John's personality changes are OK as long as he keeps worshipping Marlena.
If that one comes back I'll really be cheering when they leave town.
Edited by SpriteEyes, Nov 30 2008, 07:15 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CatherineEarnshaw

SpriteEyes
Nov 30 2008, 07:12 PM
yes, please remove those cajones from whatever purse they're in and give them back to EJ!

Quote:

Hmmmm, good point. Actually, John's personality changes are OK as long as he keeps worshipping Marlena.
Sheri's John or Reilly's John didn't worship marlena. He loved her beyong anything else. Taht is when John waas really popular too. It doesn't seem taht complicated.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Glad to hear this. He's showed signs but he needs his edge back full time.

I knew there had to be a reason they threw EJ back into Stefano's business. This has major potential. Can't wait to see this unfold because I think it will set the stage for EJ to really lose it when the truth comes out. I think we will see him gradually get darker and then learning the truth will push him over the edge.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Nov 30 2008, 01:30 PM
ginababe
Nov 29 2008, 10:18 PM
Jiggs
Nov 29 2008, 09:59 PM
ginababe
Nov 29 2008, 09:53 PM
Jiggs
Nov 29 2008, 09:51 PM
ginababe
Nov 29 2008, 09:48 PM
Jiggs
Nov 29 2008, 06:19 PM
ladyofthelake
Nov 29 2008, 07:53 AM
ginababe
Nov 29 2008, 04:29 AM
Jiggs
Nov 29 2008, 04:02 AM
If they once again change the character of EJ he will be a lost cause. There is only so much rapid personality changes in a character before you just don't care anymore. I think they need to give the character a long rest then bring him back, like they did Brady. Brady's first run was god awful. He was the most schizophrenically written character ever, just like EJ. It's too bad writers think they should be allowed to transform characters whenever they choose, nevermind that the audience then rejects them completely.
I don't mean to be a brat about this, but this is coming from a person who is a diehard JnM fan, where one half the pairing, John, has had his personality changed more times than any other character in the history of daytime drama??? REALLY? Are you for real?
Hmmmm, good point. Actually, John's personality changes are OK as long as he keeps worshipping Marlena. ;)

Typical. What personality changes has John had other than the one he is experiencing currently?
let's see, he initially came to town if I remember correctly, w/ no identity whatsoever, then it was discovered he was actually Roman, and then it was found out he wasn't, then he became a priest, then he became a pawn working w/ Stefano and Gina, shall I go on??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Black_(fiction)
Um those are IDENTITIES, not personalities.
Um... Personalities go along w/ each identity, they are not mutually exclusive.. So yes, he did have "rapid" personality changes. At least EJ has only had the one identity.
Sorry, they are not the same thing. Let's not go around in circles on this. I was talking about the character's personality, which is what this topic is about. John has always had the same personality all the time he's been in Salem, except recently.
You're right, why hit my head up against a stubborn brick wall when I don't have to.
Save yourself the headache, hon. Rest assured that at least one other poster agrees with your viewpoint. ;)
Party of two, your table is ready ;)

hops
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Nov 29 2008, 09:59 PM
ginababe
Nov 29 2008, 09:53 PM
Jiggs
Nov 29 2008, 09:51 PM
ginababe
Jiggs
ladyofthelake
ginababe
Jiggs
If they once again change the character of EJ he will be a lost cause. There is only so much rapid personality changes in a character before you just don't care anymore. I think they need to give the character a long rest then bring him back, like they did Brady. Brady's first run was god awful. He was the most schizophrenically written character ever, just like EJ. It's too bad writers think they should be allowed to transform characters whenever they choose, nevermind that the audience then rejects them completely.
I don't mean to be a brat about this, but this is coming from a person who is a diehard JnM fan, where one half the pairing, John, has had his personality changed more times than any other character in the history of daytime drama??? REALLY? Are you for real?
Hmmmm, good point. Actually, John's personality changes are OK as long as he keeps worshipping Marlena. ;)

Typical. What personality changes has John had other than the one he is experiencing currently?
let's see, he initially came to town if I remember correctly, w/ no identity whatsoever, then it was discovered he was actually Roman, and then it was found out he wasn't, then he became a priest, then he became a pawn working w/ Stefano and Gina, shall I go on??

Um those are IDENTITIES, not personalities.
Um... Personalities go along w/ each identity, they are not mutually exclusive.. So yes, he did have "rapid" personality changes. At least EJ has only had the one identity.
Sorry, they are not the same thing. Let's not go around in circles on this. I was talking about the character's personality, which is what this topic is about. John has always had the same personality all the time he's been in Salem, except recently.
I totally get what you are saying Jiggs. John came on the show, whatever his name was, and he pretty much had the same core values the entire time. When he went merc, it was because Stefano was controlling that chip. John faced challenges, but at his core he was an honest, decent man who tried to do the right thing.

hops
Member Avatar

CatherineEarnshaw
Nov 30 2008, 08:43 PM
Sheri's John or Reilly's John didn't worship marlena. He loved her beyong anything else. Taht is when John waas really popular too. It doesn't seem taht complicated.
:hail:
Edited by hops, Dec 1 2008, 09:12 AM.

thereyougo

ginababe
Jiggs
ladyofthelake
ginababe
Jiggs

You didn't name one personality change in your list. John didn't have an identity when he arrived but he was a kind, loving, protective man who was lost. As Roman he was a kind, loving, protective husband and father. As John Black he was a kind,loving, protective friend who had no family. Even during the dumb Princess Gag story father John supposedly was loving and protective of Greta and Princess Gag.

Ej was a psycho, sick, murdering, rapist who impregnated his rape victim to save his dad. Now supposedly he's a kind man who loves his rape victim and the other woman he screwed and got pregnant.

Dorothy595
Member Avatar

Then what will they need Stefano for? Is he going to take Joe's place as the new DiMera Villain?

Flying Monkey
Member Avatar

CatherineEarnshaw
Nov 30 2008, 08:43 PM
SpriteEyes
Nov 30 2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:

I don't remember John worshiping Marlena under any writer. Most writers were at least consistent with the theme that they shared an unyielding love and devotion for each other.

ElvisDimeraLover

LOL, I love the last sentence. I agree with him, and they need to give Tony and Stefano theirs back too!

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

I love Rafe and Sami now. Sami was awful with EJ. It brought out the worst in her. Rami COME ON.

maral

Ponz
Nov 28 2008, 10:37 AM
Daytime
Nov 28 2008, 09:50 AM
Its about time, I miss the old EJ. The Old EJ and the Bad Sami, where have they been hiding you guys.

Please come back bad Ejami, your fans miss you!!!!
Um, Sami is the reason he was whitewashed in the first place.
exactly!

koos

I donno. I don't want the evil EJ of late 2006-spring 2007, but I want him to be grey. Roger Thorpe grey. Doing bad, bad things, but nothing that isn't redeemable. Make him HUMAN. Soaps can't seem to do that anymore, though. They're either vile, soulless murderers or neutered, whitewashed pussies who revert back when the writers are bored, and so on.

Implosion

JS frustrates me as an actor...nothing is ever good enough for the guy. I use to be an ardent supporter of his...but I realize that he feels his best when being a negative bore. Why not take heart in having a job and doing it well......

DaysFanJean
Member Avatar

I enjoy James Scott more when he looks like the new James Bond.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I'm just glad this topic turned back to James Scott, even though I still attest to the theory that EJ isn't the only character who has gone through multiple personality changes in the past few years. (I just have to laugh at how many people had to come in and "correct" ginababe and myself on our theory once certain other characters are mentioned. It's like a chain reaction!! :P BATTLE CRY!!!!! And it's especially funny when some have GRIPED about the personality changes of said character they're now defending.....whether story-line deliberate or not). ANYWAY.........back on topic..............(sorry for the sideline):
You know......I can see where he's totally frustrated. if nothing else, not knowing what your character's motivation is has and second guessing has got to be the pits. Does he love Sami? Does he love Nicole? Does he hate violence now? Does he hate violence now, but still has a stomach? Could be still use a belt? Will he use it on Brady? Will he use it on Rafe? Will he use it on Sami or Nicole? Hell, will he use it on himself??
I don't think it's whining or selfishness at all for a talented actor to just want some damn guidelines! That is the difference between an actor who wants to do a good job and has some respect for his craft and one who just goes in and reads the lines, although, we're getting to the point that the good actors just go in and read their lines because..........what else can they do?
Now, let's see if what Whitesell, Higley et al consider getting balls back is what James Scott considers getting balls back. If not, we might see a whole 'nother story come contract time..............

Kyrai

ladyofthelake
Dec 10 2008, 06:49 AM
I'm just glad this topic turned back to James Scott, even though I still attest to the theory that EJ isn't the only character who has gone through multiple personality changes in the past few years. (I just have to laugh at how many people had to come in and "correct" ginababe and myself on our theory once certain other characters are mentioned. It's like a chain reaction!! :P BATTLE CRY!!!!! And it's especially funny when some have GRIPED about the personality changes of said character they're now defending.....whether story-line deliberate or not). ANYWAY.........back on topic..............(sorry for the sideline):
You know......I can see where he's totally frustrated. if nothing else, not knowing what your character's motivation is has and second guessing has got to be the pits. Does he love Sami? Does he love Nicole? Does he hate violence now? Does he hate violence now, but still has a stomach? Could be still use a belt? Will he use it on Brady? Will he use it on Rafe? Will he use it on Sami or Nicole? Hell, will he use it on himself??
I don't think it's whining or selfishness at all for a talented actor to just want some damn guidelines! That is the difference between an actor who wants to do a good job and has some respect for his craft and one who just goes in and reads the lines, although, we're getting to the point that the good actors just go in and read their lines because..........what else can they do?
Now, let's see if what Whitesell, Higley et al consider getting balls back is what James Scott considers getting balls back. If not, we might see a whole 'nother story come contract time..............
Ej used to be one of my favorite characters. I don't blame him for wanting some idea of where the story is going.

I've gone from liking Ej to being more frustrated at his wishy washyness. Same thing with Sami's emotional overdrive. Now I hate what they're doing to Nicole. I won't even get into characters like Chloe and Dan whose sole purpose seems to be musical partners. I honestly don't see how most of these actors have handled this. It's frustrating to watch and has to be frustrating to act out.

I try not to blame the actors because I know it's the writing, but it really has started making me thoroughly dislike many of the characters. What happened to stories where both characters were likeable and you rooted for them to get together because they had respect and genuine concern for each other's wellbeing? I don't blame JS at all for wanting some kind of direction. There is no way he should be chasing, begging any woman to love him or settling for any woman, whether it be Sami, Nicole, or whomever. It makes what once was a superbly smooth calculating interesting character a milksop. Go after them writers JS! Make them do their job!

As a side, I'd like to see Ej with Charlotte. After Nicole and Sami, he needs therapy.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

koos
Dec 9 2008, 07:42 PM
I donno. I don't want the evil EJ of late 2006-spring 2007, but I want him to be grey. Roger Thorpe grey. Doing bad, bad things, but nothing that isn't redeemable. Make him HUMAN. Soaps can't seem to do that anymore, though. They're either vile, soulless murderers or neutered, whitewashed pussies who revert back when the writers are bored, and so on.
I want him back to bad, not evil, and totally devoted to sAmi.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Kyrai
Dec 10 2008, 01:12 PM
ladyofthelake
Dec 10 2008, 06:49 AM
Ej used to be one of my favorite characters. I don't blame him for wanting some idea of where the story is going.

I've gone from liking Ej to being more frustrated at his wishy washyness. Same thing with Sami's emotional overdrive. Now I hate what they're doing to Nicole. I won't even get into characters like Chloe and Dan whose sole purpose seems to be musical partners. I honestly don't see how most of these actors have handled this. It's frustrating to watch and has to be frustrating to act out.

I try not to blame the actors because I know it's the writing, but it really has started making me thoroughly dislike many of the characters. What happened to stories where both characters were likeable and you rooted for them to get together because they had respect and genuine concern for each other's wellbeing? I don't blame JS at all for wanting some kind of direction. There is no way he should be chasing, begging any woman to love him or settling for any woman, whether it be Sami, Nicole, or whomever. It makes what once was a superbly smooth calculating interesting character a milksop. Go after them writers JS! Make them do their job!

As a side, I'd like to see Ej with Charlotte. After Nicole and Sami, he needs therapy.

Seriously, I have episodes since last Wednesday sitting in my DVR (if they survived). I just don't have the heart. Maybe, when vacation hits, and I have nothing better to do......But, it's disheartening to watch, because I don't want to get attached. Actors like JS and AZ made it so easy for me to root for Ejole, just cause they're so damn charming, but I'm learning not to even expect consistency, and it's easier on my heart that way. :D And I'm frustrated for those poor actors. It's gotta be a pain in the ass.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

SpriteEyes
Dec 11 2008, 05:29 AM
koos
Dec 9 2008, 07:42 PM
I want him back to bad, not evil, and totally devoted to sAmi.
I honestly think any chance they've had with the majority of the viewers backing EJami again has been seriously damaged. They keep screwing it up with poor writing and poor direction and inconsistency about the feelings of the characters, and if they try to bring them back together, it'll be like the frequent recasting of Shelle to have Shelle just to have that couple................fewer and fewer people will care each time it happens.

Right now, based on boards, there seems to be little support for Sami. It's hard to root for a character to go back to a couple when you're tired of the character. Right now, I just want Sami to go to a cloistered convent.

I do realize there are still people who want EJami...I just think there are a lot more people now who are losing interest. If nothing else, they seem to want a break from Sami. I just don't think they can do it right. IF they go back to EJami, it will probably need to be after a long break from the Sami Shriek Show. Sami offscreen for a while, EJ alone, given time to re-develop the character and KEEP it a certain personality, and re-introduce Sami a little later. But, I also don't think the show has the luxury of time to redo it correctly.

Now, they still can try to salvage EJole somehow. I don't think they will, though, but it's not too late if they woke up. Give it another month or so of stupid decisions, and more people will start to quit caring about EJole, too. Frankly, I think if it weren't for the professionalism and dedication of the two actors involved overcoming this crap, EJole would have sunk as soon as Nicole bought that fake stomach. I realize for some, it has. But, I think AZ and JS's acting is still saving it and making it intriguing. I assume so. I need to watch and find out and FF the other shit. :D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply