Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD Confirms JKJ Staying!
Topic Started: Nov 28 2008, 11:08 PM (948 Views)
phloeishot
Member Avatar

Confirmed! Jay Kenneth Johnson Staying On DAYS
Sources close to Jay Kenneth Johnson confirm that the popular actor will remain as DAYS OF OUR LIVES's Philip. For more on the backstage drama (an understatement!) at the NBC soap, check out the Dec. 9 issue of Soap Opera Weekly.

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

That's been up a couple of days. My question still is: "willl remain" until when? I've yet to see anything that indicates he signed a new contract. I don't see why it's so hard for the soap "press" to get an answer to and subsequently report said answer to that question. Perhaps it's too much of a habit of mine to parse statements, but to me saying he'll "remain," when the same mag previously reported he cleared out his dressing room and actors were already in for possible recasts, could very well mean only that he's "remaining" until the end of his current contract. Maybe I'm just too used to the sports world, but when, for example, an NBA player signs a new deal there's a press release and there's no confusion or guessing about it. Now, if there hadn't been the prior report about JKJ supposedly walking off and possible recasts, I wouldn't be so skeptical about the wording--but with that prior report, I have to wonder why they don't just come out and say he signed a new deal.

Mason

I agree. Until I read that he's signed a new contract, I will only believe he's staying through his current one.

Paxton
Member Avatar

I just read Nelson's new Suds Report and he says DOOL is recasting the role of Philip if JKJ refuses to sign a new contract:

http://tvguide.sympatico.msn.ca/Soaps/Suds/Articles/081128_news_nelson_NB

ETA: daytimeconfidential is the only outlet that specifically said he "inked a new deal." However, though they quoted a source or sources directly about the guys who had come in for recasts, there is no direct quote about the new deal, and no confirmation from the show. This really ought to be very, very simple to confirm, and I can't imagine SOD doesn't understand how to ask a simple "yes" or "no" question: Did JKJ sign a new contract? If they don't know how to do that, then they're incompetent. I would like to be able to read a magazine report and see a clear statement without me having to guess about it.
Edited by Paxton, Nov 29 2008, 12:02 AM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

How many of these damn confirmations are we going to get? Just state that he signed a new contract, damn it!

jane1978

Paxton
Nov 28 2008, 11:27 PM
daytimeconfidential is the only outlet that specifically said he "inked a new deal." However, though they quoted a source or sources directly about the guys who had come in for recasts, there is no direct quote about the new deal, and no confirmation from the show. This really ought to be very, very simple to confirm, and I can't imagine SOD doesn't understand how to ask a simple "yes" or "no" question: Did JKJ sign a new contract? If they don't know how to do that, then they're incompetent. I would like to be able to read a magazine report and see a clear statement without me having to guess about it.
Well, I believe daytimeconfidental source was true because it was the same post where he informed about KA/PR accepting the paycuts and staying and that was already confirmed by Alfonso herself.

I think what the mag want is you to buy a new issue, where there will be probably another interview with Corday saying pretty much the same daytimeconfidental source said.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Paxton
Nov 28 2008, 11:15 PM
That's been up a couple of days. My question still is: "willl remain" until when? I've yet to see anything that indicates he signed a new contract. I don't see why it's so hard for the soap "press" to get an answer to and subsequently report said answer to that question. Perhaps it's too much of a habit of mine to parse statements, but to me saying he'll "remain," when the same mag previously reported he cleared out his dressing room and actors were already in for possible recasts, could very well mean only that he's "remaining" until the end of his current contract. Maybe I'm just too used to the sports world, but when, for example, an NBA player signs a new deal there's a press release and there's no confusion or guessing about it. Now, if there hadn't been the prior report about JKJ supposedly walking off and possible recasts, I wouldn't be so skeptical about the wording--but with that prior report, I have to wonder why they don't just come out and say he signed a new deal.
Yeah, this isn't any new info. The news from the 12/9 issue was already posted and the magazine didn't have any new information either. We still don't know anything more than that he is still filming and will be until his contract runs out.

The only source that has said he signed a new deal is Daytime Confidential. Usually if something like that is true, SOD will confirm it on there website within a couple of days. They still haven't done that.

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jane1978

Angie79
Nov 29 2008, 03:46 AM
Paxton
Nov 28 2008, 11:15 PM
Yeah, this isn't any new info. The news from the 12/9 issue was already posted and the magazine didn't have any new information either. We still don't know anything more than that he is still filming and will be until his contract runs out.

The only source that has said he signed a new deal is Daytime Confidential. Usually if something like that is true, SOD will confirm it on there website within a couple of days. They still haven't done that.

I donīt think this is the same info. "Will remain" means something different than "is still". His contract ends on December 18 thatīs only two weeks from now. If he is leaving the show really doesnīt have any reason to play dumb.

Besides, the SOW article about the bloodbath talks about KA and PR being asked to take paycuts but there is no answer if they accepted or not as well, while we already know from Kristian herself she and Peter are staying. Iīm willing to bet in the upcoming SOW will be exactly the same story daytime confidental already reported.
Edited by jane1978, Nov 29 2008, 04:49 AM.

Paxton
Member Avatar

jane1978
Nov 29 2008, 03:15 AM
Paxton
Nov 28 2008, 11:27 PM
daytimeconfidential is the only outlet that specifically said he "inked a new deal." However, though they quoted a source or sources directly about the guys who had come in for recasts, there is no direct quote about the new deal, and no confirmation from the show. This really ought to be very, very simple to confirm, and I can't imagine SOD doesn't understand how to ask a simple "yes" or "no" question: Did JKJ sign a new contract? If they don't know how to do that, then they're incompetent. I would like to be able to read a magazine report and see a clear statement without me having to guess about it.
Well, I believe daytimeconfidental source was true because it was the same post where he informed about KA/PR accepting the paycuts and staying and that was already confirmed by Alfonso herself.

I think what the mag want is you to buy a new issue, where there will be probably another interview with Corday saying pretty much the same daytimeconfidental source said.

I was referring to this post from daytime confidential and there's nothing about PR or KA in it. The post you're referring to is the one that said Jay was back on set and it was all a misunderstanding. Again, to me, all that says is that Jay came back to finish out his existing contract. The subsequent post does say (without direct quotation, though the source was happy to give direct quotes about the potential recasts) that Jay signed a new deal, but I don't understand why the show won't confirm and SOD hasn't yet used wording relating to a new contract. Like I said, SOD is the one that reported he cleared out his dressing room and potential recasts were being seen. "Will remain" tells me nothing about the length of time he will stay; it may very well mean he signed a new contract and I'm actually assuming he probably did. So far, however, the fact remains that nobody but daytimeconfidential has gone out on that limb and I don't understand why, if Jay did sign a new deal, SOD can't simply get confirmation of that and use those words on their website, intead of "breaking news" that "JKJ will remain" for some undetermined length of time.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

If he does leave, I want to know what the earth-shattering storyline is about Philip that warrants a recast. And, if they do recast, if they recast a mere week or so after he leaves (if he leaves), like they did with Shawn, I'll be totally pissed.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

This according to Jason47, whom I think usually checks his resources pretty well...........

Paxton
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Nov 29 2008, 11:01 AM
Thanks, lady! Now, my next question is, who does jason47 rely on? Are his sources independent of daytimeconfidential?

I wish I could be less skeptical, and truly, if Philip had been getting a good story or at least if I didn't have to worry about Melanie being a love interest/iinterloper, I'd be thrilled to take it without cynicism or question that Jay had signed a new contract. However, I have a lot of complaints about current journalism in general (not just the soap press), and I find it strange that in this day of 24 hour news cycles it isn't the simplest thing in the world for the major soap organs to get a confirmation from the show that a new deal is in place. I would not be less inclined to buy SOD or SOW if their website said, "JKJ signs a new contract!" than if it said, "JKJ will remain!" Either way, I would want to know the details, his reaction, whether they explained the dressing room clearout, etc.

Whatever. I guess I'll just assume that he signed a new contract, and hope for the best that if he did, that the storyline for Philip will not suck or at a bare minimum, will stop featuring Melanie.

jane1978

ladyofthelake
Thanks! Now Iīm totally sure itīs true. Jason is never wrong. :D

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Paxton
Nov 29 2008, 11:22 AM
ladyofthelake
Thanks, lady! Now, my next question is, who does jason47 rely on? Are his sources independent of daytimeconfidential?

I wish I could be less skeptical, and truly, if Philip had been getting a good story or at least if I didn't have to worry about Melanie being a love interest/iinterloper, I'd be thrilled to take it without cynicism or question that Jay had signed a new contract. However, I have a lot of complaints about current journalism in general (not just the soap press), and I find it strange that in this day of 24 hour news cycles it isn't the simplest thing in the world for the major soap organs to get a confirmation from the show that a new deal is in place. I would not be less inclined to buy SOD or SOW if their website said, "JKJ signs a new contract!" than if it said, "JKJ will remain!" Either way, I would want to know the details, his reaction, whether they explained the dressing room clearout, etc.

Whatever. I guess I'll just assume that he signed a new contract, and hope for the best that if he did, that the storyline for Philip will not suck or at a bare minimum, will stop featuring Melanie.

I have no idea who his sources are. He's the guy who also gets all the episode rankings and stuff and is usually the definitive answer on stuff like that, so I would be totally surprised if this is wrong. I don't think I've ever heard about anyone mention his unreliability, so I usually believe him. And, if it does, I think he'd be pretty upfront about correcting himself. I'm not even sure he posted the so-called "to-do" with the dressing room.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I would believe it's true.

Daytime Confidential is solid and Jason47 is very good.

I'm just happy this situation worked out and that he is staying. He and the character are needed IMO.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply