Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD:Best & Worst of 2008 *Updated 12/7*
Topic Started: Dec 2 2008, 03:07 PM (1,163 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Best Story: Sabrina and David's Deaths, Y&R

Worst Story: Mendorra, OLTL

Best Couple: Robin & Patrick, GH

Worst Couple: Rick & Taylor, B&B

Most Realistic Romance: Jeffrey & Reva, GL

Most Unrealistic Romance: Sonny & Kate, GH

Most Entertaining Couple: Henry & Vienna, ATWT

Best New Couple: Rex & Gigi, OLTL

Best Triangle: Sami/EJ/Nicole, Days

Worst Triangle: Bridget/Nick/Katie, B&B

Best Breakup: Nikki & Victor, Y&R

Worst Breakup: Aidan & Greenlee, AMC

Best Quadrangle: Jack/Sharon/Nick/Phyliss, Y&R

Worst Quadrangle: Lily/Holden/Jack/Carly, ATWT

Most Shocking Plot Twist: Storm's Suicide, B&B

Most Daring Story: Marty and Todd's Romance, OLTL

Most Preposterous Plot: Vincent Gives Birth, PSSNS

Biggest Tearjerker: Nash's Death, OLTL

Best Recast: Ricky Paull Goldin (Jake Martin, AMC)

Best New Character: Janet, ATWT

Best Return: Tristen Rogers (Robert, GH:NS)

Worst Return: Cady McClain (Dixie, AMC)

Most Boring Character: Noah, ATWT

Most Annoying Character: Melanie, Days

Most Entertaining Female Character: Gloria, Y&R

Most Entertaining Male Character: David, OLTL

Best Hero: Spinelli, GH

Best Heroine: Erica Kane, AMC

Worst Heroine: Lulu, GH

Biggest Waste Of Talent: Most Of The Cast, Days

Best Villain: Pam, B&B

Worst Villain: Grady Foley, GL

Best Wedding: Angie & Jesse, AMC

Worst Wedding:Alison & Aaron, ATWT

Best Special Episode: 40-something, Days

Best Musical Appearence: Snoop Dogg, OLTL

Best Stunt Casting: Vincent Pastore (Maximus, GH)

Most Tortured Couple: Bill & Lizzie, GL

Most Disappointing Show: GL

Most Improved Show: Days

Best Show: OLTL

http://soapzone.com/boards/read.php/gh/main/10459414

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SOD Online Special Feature (New 12/7)

Digest's annual Best and Worst Issue is out. Here's a look at some awards and booby prizes that you won't see in the magazine.

Worst Hero
Luis, PASSIONS

At first glance, hunky cop Luis seemed to fit the criteria for a "hero." However, he acted like a clueless jerk this year. When Alistair imprisoned him and Pretty and demanded that Luis impregnate his granddaughter, rather than even attempt to fight back, Luis did the deed without hesitation, and then couldn't grasp why his girlfriend Fancy was upset at the idea of him being with her sister. When his ex Sheridan and Pretty both declared their feelings for him, he again refused to acknowledge their or Fancy's concerns, and seemed to get a perverse pleasure out of watching the women fight over him. And when Fancy began acting strangely due to a behavior-controlling device implanted in her, it took him weeks to suspect that something was up. Meanwhile, the cop wasn't resourceful enough to rescue Pilar and Theresa when they were kidnapped from Juanita; in fact, the tough ladies both saved themselves.

Worst Special Episodes
"Go Red," AMC/GH/OLTL

We are all for educating the soap-viewing public about the importance of being heart-healthy, but when ABC Daytime partnered with Campbell's for its "Go Red" campaign, the results were a heartbeat away from making us change channels. For weeks on end, the denizens of Pine Valley, Port Charles and Llanview babbled about Prego Heart Smart and Healthy Request soups in a manner that, to be kind, lacked the product-placement finesse of 30 ROCK. (AMC's Colby to JR: "Have you tried this V8 V-Fusion stuff? It's really good.") For the main event, AMC staged a stat-filled "Go Red" fashion show and OLTL featured a "Go Red" ball, while GH actually scripted a heart attack for Epiphany from which she fully, and speedily, recovered. Taken together, the shows' efforts amounted to an awkward and far too flighty treatment of an extremely important issue.

Worst Recast
Justis Bolding (Sarah), OLTL

When OLTL decided to recast Tina's estranged daughter, Sarah, we weren't even sure why the character needed a reprise, considering neither of her pivotal parents was on the canvas and her previous rock-star incarnation, "Flash," was hardly missed. Nevertheless, they gave us Justis Bolding, whose petite frame and long, blond hair was pretty much where the similarities to a young Tina stopped. The character was written as spoiled, sassy and ridiculously connected when it comes to the music biz (Timbaland? Really?), but we just never bought Bolding as the brash go-getter that Sarah was supposed to have become. Furthermore, OLTL took a major risk in pairing the unpopular newcomer with an established heartthrob like David Fumero's Cristian, whose relationship with comatose Evangeline generated more fan mail. It was apparent early on that the writers haven't figured out what to do with this character, and the soon-to-be-out Bolding failed to seize the opportunity to show them.

Worst New Character
Spencer, ATWT

Newcomer Spencer arrived in Oakdale with a huge grin and a hidden agenda. She was clearly devised to give Katie a dose of karma and stir things up at WOAK, but while InTurn winner Nell Mooney was only granted a 13-week contract, that's no excuse for the misplaced character's rapid, hollow evolution. In no time flat, Spencer went from wide-eyed ingenue to lying kook and this jarring, zero-to-60 "character development" was made worse by the fact that instead of providing Spencer with a solid link to one of the show's core families, which might have lent her some much-needed likability, she was connected to another newbie, Dani, who is herself a fringe figure that fans have yet to truly invest in. It is true that Spencer created some chaos for her Oakdale compatriots. But the dust she kicked up was so tired and predictable, we wanted to take a broom and sweep her away.

Worst Stunt Casting
Pat Benatar, Y&R

With such megahits as "Heartbreaker," "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" and "Love is a Battlefield," Pat Benatar is the quintessential tough rocker chick. So was that really the platinum-selling singer hanging out at Neil's night club last February to give Karen "a master class" on overcoming her stage fright? Uh ... yep. What makes stunt casting like this fall flat is the implausibility of the set-up. Pat, accompanied by her husband Spyder, explained to a shocked Karen, "We have a tour date in Milwaukee, and Neil called Spyder about you, and we decided to stop by on our way from Chicago." Huh? Are Neil and Spyder old childhood pals? Or did Benatar just magnanimously grant some random caller's wish? Sure, it was sweet that a music legend would give tips on performance anxiety but Benatar's appearance made as much sense as Madonna showing up to lead a hip-hop class at the Genoa City Athletic Club.

Best Non-Wedding
Robin and Patrick, GH

While it seems an odd category to celebrate, when our favorite couple for 2008 found their nuptials interrupted by the arrival of their beautiful baby girl, it immediately became the non-event of the season. Warmly told with healthy doses of humor and heart, this light "get me to the church on-time" story suddenly got serious with a risky delivery but surrounded by the love of family and friends, Robin and Patrick overcame it all, intact and stronger for it. In fact, baby Emma proved to be just as stubborn as her parents, as she was determined to see mom and dad say "I do," a celebration which we're anticipating all the more now. As Robin and Patrick get ready to try, try again, what their love has brought together, let no grief sex, wedding day shoot-outs or marriages of convenience put asunder.

Biggest Letdown
Gus's Death, GL

When Ricky Paull Goldin (ex-Gus) declined to renew his GL ties, the show was charged with scripting his hasty exit and giving Gus, one of the show's most popular characters, a suitable send-off. Sadly, GL fell short. They killed off the character, but the real tragedy was that the scenes surrounding Gus's death were so darn disappointing. From having his fatal accident occur off-screen to Gus being wheeled into Cedars with nary a scratch on his face, the amateurish execution seemed more befitting an extra than a heavy-hitter. Even the one thing the show did right granting "Gush" fans a good-bye scene for the duo they had so loved was spoiled in the same breath due to newcomer Natalia's lingering presence. Harley's eulogy at the rather unceremonious funeral was a bright spot, but it couldn't make up for the empty church pews that should've been filled with Springfield's finest. Gus's farewell arguably GL's biggest story of the year didn't fare well at all.

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/features/best_and_worst_2008/

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

peaches179

Best Triangle: Sami/EJ/Nicole, Days

Most Improved Show: Days

LOL! That's a good one!

Thanks for posting!

Alligato
Member Avatar

Best Triangle??? You got to be fucking kidding me!!!
Were EJ/Sami/Lucas even a triangle in 2008? Lucas was gone in January, returned in May and and hated Sami until he hooked up with Chloe by July and he is engaged now.
Sami was the only one who made it a triangle.

Thanks for sharing!

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Alligato
Dec 2 2008, 03:16 PM
Were EJ/Sami/Lucas even a triangle in 2008? Lucas was gone in January, returned in May and and hated Sami until he hooked up with Chloe by July and he is engaged now.

Thanks for sharing!
It says EJ/Sami/Nicole, not Lucas. :)

Mason

DAYS for Most Improved? LMAO!

Did they even WATCH DAYS this year?
Edited by Mason, Dec 2 2008, 03:27 PM.

Jonatha

Most Entertaining Male Character: David, OLTL...

The man or the dog? lol.

Thanks for posting, Angie.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Mason
Dec 2 2008, 03:26 PM
DAYS for Most Improved? LMAO!

Did they even WATCH DAYS this year?
Well, comparing it to most of 2007 I think it has improved.

somersetfan
Member Avatar

I agree, miles better IMO.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Wait, wait, wait!

They say that Days was the show that wasted most of their talent this year, yet it's also MOST IMPROVED? LoL!

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Biggest waste of talent for DAYS,no shit.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I don't know why people are shocked. SOD never gets Most Improved right. Every year it seems whoever gets it leads to the decision being widely bashed. Now you could've easily switched OLTL or Y&R in Most Improved/Best Show so I was ok either way. I was expecting Y&R to get Best Show and OLTL to get Most Improved for some reason since SOD loves Y&R. Y&R should've gotten Most Improved. Just watch. If Y&R sucks next year (which I doubt), they will give it to them next year LOL. That is how SOD works. Days should've got it for 2007 IMO.

OLTL was already improved going into 2008 so I can see why it didn't get it. Days...they do have reasons. I mean, they are the only show with viewers up vs last year and they did focus more on the vets, primarily earlier in the year so I tend to think SOD may be citing the first half of the year and the lockdown. They do have enough there to qualify most improved IMO. That is why I can't understand the waste of talent decision. They did that with Days last year and it was warranted but Days used their vets most of the year and are still using them. I'm curious to read the explanation for these because if they are citing Tony, Anna, Steve, and Kayla then fine but if they are citing all vets...that makes little sense this year.

I do agree with Sami/EJ/Nicole being a good triangle. I actually agree with most of the rest except I don't find Melanie annoying (They could've given that to Sami IMO) and I HATE Marty/Todd but I guess it was daring so it's entitled.

Can't wait to read the actual articles to see what they based all this on.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Dec 2 2008, 04:31 PM.

Mason

That's true, they also gave DAYS Most Improved in 2000, and that year sucked too.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Dec 2 2008, 04:39 PM
That's true, they also gave DAYS Most Improved in 2000, and that year sucked too.
Overall, it sure did.

The beginning of the baby switch and basically the first three months of 200o and last three months were good. The rest was awful, especially the summer.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Angie79
Dec 2 2008, 03:19 PM
Alligato
Dec 2 2008, 03:16 PM

Thanks for sharing!
It says EJ/Sami/Nicole, not Lucas. :)
My bad! I saw EJ/Sami...and just assumed the rest, I guess. Either way, with Sami the way she is, I wouldn't call it a triangle. However, I do prefer EJ/Sami/Nicole over EJ/Sami/Lucas anyday!

Again, thanks for sharing! :)

cjknick
Member Avatar

Days imo has the best actors bar none - the writing just can't support this wonderful ensemble. Too bad with good writing and with this group of actors Days could blow the rest of the soaps out of the water.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

I agree with a some of these picks actually, but yeah, most picks weren't good.
Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, Dec 2 2008, 10:41 PM.

Drew
Member Avatar

MOST IMPROVED SHOW: DAYS??????!!!!!!! DAYS????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Have they lost all touch with reality?!

Clearly .... CLEARLY, when you go back a year to LML and the Josh Griffin stuff, Y&R is a drastically improved show, above the others. But, to say Days is better now -- I'm stunned and apalled!

Drew
Member Avatar

cjknick
Dec 2 2008, 07:31 PM
Days imo has the best actors bar none
they really dont. You have people like Peter and Kristian, and arguably Dee and Drake. Rogers, Sweeney, Koslow, Melvin, Aniston are good. But the rest are totally average or below average.

Drew
Member Avatar

Like seriously - if this isnt a wake up call to anyone with a subscription to cancel it, I dont know what is. These people obviously know nothing about the shows they're supposed to cover, and are clearly not even bothering to watch them themselves anymore.

Like Kenny said, how can you be the most improved show, and the one with the biggest waste of a cast?! How can a show that has spent most of this calendar year locked in a fight for direction, and had producers and actresses rewriting the show behind the hack head writer's back - and yet still managed to make it turn out like shit, be the most improved show of the year?!
Edited by Drew, Dec 2 2008, 10:10 PM.

Kyrai

PhoenixRising05
Dec 2 2008, 04:30 PM
That is why I can't understand the waste of talent decision. They did that with Days last year and it was warranted but Days used their vets most of the year and are still using them. I'm curious to read the explanation for these because if they are citing Tony, Anna, Steve, and Kayla then fine but if they are citing all vets...that makes little sense this year.
Using the vets doesn't mean they aren't wasting them. The Payla/Ava story could have been a good story with Steve, Kayla, Bo, and Hope, but the story wasn't done well. There was no payoff, no resolution. They were wasted. Steve/Kayla have not been used much since.

Bo's illness started out interesting, but fizzled. They came across as fairly incompetent during the Trent investigation. The Nicole hearing scenes were ludicrous. They propped Chelsea half of the year. The Bo/Phillip/Hollingsworth/John story never went anywhere.

John and Marlena, wasted in a storyline that never materialized like it should. I loved many of John and Marlena's scenes, but in the scope of the story that never had direction, they were wasted.

There were good moments like the hospital scenes that Ed seemed to write. Tony/Stefano was riveting, and I loved the way the vets were used. That was all summarily dropped, so despite the scenes being great, it was a waste as far as story goes. I did like the early story in the year (not sure if that was leftover from Hogan), but overall, I feel the vets were totally wasted. There were some great events, but since they didn't progress a story at all, they were a waste of talent.

I think it's a crime that Days does have so much talent, but no one to write decent stories. I don't know about the other shows, but I definitely feel the talent was wasted this year on Days. jmo.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply