Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Guide: The Days Disaster by Michael Logan; Article Summary
Topic Started: Dec 2 2008, 04:43 PM (3,800 Views)
Ellie

In the new TV Guide, a short "Days of Disaster" article discusses Drake and Deidre's having been fired, and includes the following:

- PR/KA have taken paycuts, and other "beloved vets" are said to be "vulnerable".

- There is "growing unease" on the set, and Michael Logan's sources tell him that many are growing upset at Corday's "messy management style and his penchant for punishing the cast for his own overspending."

- Days was paying JER "millions" at the time of his death, and they will continue paying JER's estate into 2009.

- NBC came very close to canceling Days, and they were going to use the time slot to rerun shows from the Bravo network.

- NBC refused to comment on the situation.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

Ellie
Dec 2 2008, 04:43 PM
There is "growing unease" on the set, and Michael Logan's sources tell him that many are growing upset at Corday's "messy management style and his penchant for punishing the cast for his own overspending."
Revolt! Revolt!

Ponz
Member Avatar

Ellie
- Days was paying JER "millions" at the time of his death, and they will continue paying JER's estate into 2009.

A 6 year contract with no outs? Only in Corday-land. :laugh:

Ellie

Ponz
Dec 2 2008, 04:59 PM
Ellie

Haha yes, Logan referred to it as a "pay or play" contract.

jules

Ponz
Ellie

Yes and that is one of the main reasons Days iswas in such a financial mess. Corday has ruined the show in more ways than one.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

jules
Dec 2 2008, 05:17 PM
Ponz
Ellie

Yes and that is one of the main reasons Days iswas in such a financial mess. Corday has ruined the show in more ways than one.
I believe it's self-sabotage. Too bad so many good hard working talented people will go down with him.

peaches179

Jiggs
Dec 2 2008, 05:21 PM
jules
Dec 2 2008, 05:17 PM
Ponz
Ellie

I believe it's self-sabotage. Too bad so many good hard working talented people will go down with him.

ITA.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Are you serious that they are still paying JER? Whoever came up with their contracts and shit needs to seriously rethink their calling.

I really don't know how Corday can sleep at night. He must be one arrogant ass.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Am I the only one almost wishing the show was cancelled? If the result of renewal means trimming the budget by several actors, losing sets and still continued bad ass writing, then I wished everyone could have gotten a happy ending and be done with it.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Wow..JER made a fortune off Days these past few years..Crazy..

Red Mist
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie, Corday is a very very poor manager. What a mess!

jules

Tripp
Dec 2 2008, 05:44 PM
Am I the only one almost wishing the show was cancelled? If the result of renewal means trimming the budget by several actors, losing sets and still continued bad ass writing, then I wished everyone could have gotten a happy ending and be done with it.
It is depressing. I have the issue of TV guide and the main story is about 20 years @ # 1 for Y&R. It talks about how the feelings on the set are high and likened it to the 80's an 90's. They said the keys to their success(from their research) was getting back disillusioned viewers by giving them romance, the characters they love and high productions values. Kind of the opposite of Days...sleaze(instead of romance), getting rid of fan favorites (Deidre/Drake) and laughable production values. So sad/

Mason

Tripp
Nope, you're not the only one. The show's future may look bleak now, but I have a feeling it's only going to get worse in the coming months.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Considering Reilly was writing PSNS at the time that the contract was being created, it's no wonder he got such a great deal. The man would be writing 2 shows, and it was NBC's only offer to keep DAYS on the air. Corday had to go along with their demands.

esp13
Member Avatar

Tripp
I guess I'm conflicted about the whole thing. On the one hand, I understand about wishing we could just have one big happy ending and not have to worry about what fresh hell the show and the viewers will have to endure next. There is something to be said for going out if not on top, than at least at a time where the show is still recognizable in some fashion.

On the other hand, there is the old saying that where there is life, there is hope. I don't need anybody to tell me how hopeless things look and how the chances of anything good happening to turn the show around are less than infintesimal, I get it. I know it and I understand it. But, at the same time, I can't quite bring myself to willing wish the show off the air. It's a part of too many memories and, in some way, it's like wishing death on someone I love. Even if I know they are suffering and that death would be a relief, it's still a place that's very hard to go.

And, for the record, I'm not comparing Days to a real person or a real life event. Just trying to explain why I can't really say that I wish it had just been cancelled.

Ellie

esp13
Dec 2 2008, 07:01 PM
I guess I'm conflicted about the whole thing. On the one hand, I understand about wishing we could just have one big happy ending and not have to worry about what fresh hell the show and the viewers will have to endure next. There is something to be said for going out if not on top, than at least at a time where the show is still recognizable in some fashion.

On the other hand, there is the old saying that where there is life, there is hope. I don't need anybody to tell me how hopeless things look and how the chances of anything good happening to turn the show around are less than infintesimal, I get it. I know it and I understand it. But, at the same time, I can't quite bring myself to willing wish the show off the air. It's a part of too many memories and, in some way, it's like wishing death on someone I love. Even if I know they are suffering and that death would be a relief, it's still a place that's very hard to go.

And, for the record, I'm not comparing Days to a real person or a real life event. Just trying to explain why I can't really say that I wish it had just been cancelled.
I really like this post - I think it explains why everyone has a different point at which they think it's time for Days to call it quits. Days and its characters are like old friends, and so many of us never want to see them go. For you, esp13, you're saying (correct me if I'm wrong) that as long as the show is around, it is still 'alive' in your mind and there is still hope. I think Tripp is saying that perhaps at some point even before the show is officially canceled, one might say that Days really isn't Days anymore, and that the show we all know and love is already gone. Every viewer has a different breaking point. For many viewers, that point has been reached in the past two weeks; for others, they're not there yet; and for still others, as long as the show is on the air at all, it will still be Days. The question is, which group will be reflected in the ratings? I think the answer to that will have much to do with determining the show's ultimate longevity.

sungrey

James Reilly should never have returned to Days. Period. I say that only because of the financial mess it left the show in... I know it wasn't JER's fault, but Corday and NBC, come on. Hindsight is foresight, I believe?
Edited by sungrey, Dec 2 2008, 07:25 PM.

esp13
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 2 2008, 07:22 PM
esp13
Dec 2 2008, 07:01 PM

I really like this post - I think it explains why everyone has a different point at which they think it's time for Days to call it quits. Days and its characters are like old friends, and so many of us never want to see them go. For you, esp13, you're saying (correct me if I'm wrong) that as long as the show is around, it is still 'alive' in your mind and there is still hope. I think Tripp is saying that perhaps at some point even before the show is officially canceled, one might say that Days really isn't Days anymore, and that the show we all know and love is already gone. Every viewer has a different breaking point. For many viewers, that point has been reached in the past two weeks; for others, they're not there yet; and for still others, as long as the show is on the air at all, it will still be Days. The question is, which group will be reflected in the ratings? I think the answer to that will have much to do with determining the show's ultimate longevity.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying, although it's a little more than that. Sometime in the summer of 2007 or so, I was having a discussion on another board about Days and how much some hated it and how some loved it, etc. In the course of that discussion, I said something then that I still feel now. There may come a day that I simply cannot watch the show anymore. It happened before in 1992 when it became something I no longer recognized. There have been moments over the last two years when I've been thisclose to saying goodbye again. But, even if I can no longer watch it and no longer recognize the show or the characters that I love, I still can't say I'd wish for it's cancellation. Because if it is still ringing true for somebody out there, then I don't want them to lose that. As long as somebody is watching and enjoying, then I'd like to see Days survive. I can choose not to watch it, but I don't want somebody to make that choice for everybody.

Ellie

esp13
Dec 2 2008, 07:49 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying, although it's a little more than that. Sometime in the summer of 2007 or so, I was having a discussion on another board about Days and how much some hated it and how some loved it, etc. In the course of that discussion, I said something then that I still feel now. There may come a day that I simply cannot watch the show anymore. It happened before in 1992 when it became something I no longer recognized. There have been moments over the last two years when I've been thisclose to saying goodbye again. But, even if I can no longer watch it and no longer recognize the show or the characters that I love, I still can't say I'd wish for it's cancellation. Because if it is still ringing true for somebody out there, then I don't want them to lose that. As long as somebody is watching and enjoying, then I'd like to see Days survive. I can choose not to watch it, but I don't want somebody to make that choice for everybody.
That makes sense. I guess I feel differently on that point, because I think "Days" as a creative entity has some value. For example, let's say the show got a complete makeover (I know this isn't what's happening, just saying), and the entire cast was replaced. Virtually the only thing that was the same was the hourglass logo. There would still be a few people watching, but I wouldn't feel any loyalty to them, because Days would be a different show. Those people would be fans of the new show, not the Days we all know and love. While I'm sure the show isn't getting a total makeover, I wonder if the recent cuts are a signal that it is changing. Some change is always good; I'm not trying to overlook that. But if the show changes too much, it really will seem like a different show, and at that point, I'd say that it's time to call it quits.

peaches179

Ellie
Dec 2 2008, 08:00 PM
esp13
Dec 2 2008, 07:49 PM
That makes sense. I guess I feel differently on that point, because I think "Days" as a creative entity has some value. For example, let's say the show got a complete makeover (I know this isn't what's happening, just saying), and the entire cast was replaced. Virtually the only thing that was the same was the hourglass logo. There would still be a few people watching, but I wouldn't feel any loyalty to them, because Days would be a different show. Those people would be fans of the new show, not the Days we all know and love. While I'm sure the show isn't getting a total makeover, I wonder if the recent cuts are a signal that it is changing. Some change is always good; I'm not trying to overlook that. But if the show changes too much, it really will seem like a different show, and at that point, I'd say that it's time to call it quits.

IA.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply