Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Guide: The Days Disaster by Michael Logan; Article Summary
Topic Started: Dec 2 2008, 04:43 PM (3,832 Views)
FanODays

If the cast and crew are just now getting frustrated by Corday then where have they been living for the past few years? Weren't they around when Ashford, Pinson and Madison were fired just after having their contracts renewed? Weren't they around when Drake and Joe were let go only to be brought back a short time later? Weren't they around when airtime for beloved characters was given to newibies who the viewers had no investment in?

If it weren't for the fact that I'd be wishing people out of jobs, I'd wish the show was cancelled. Instead I just don't watch much at all these days. Corday doesn't have a f***ing clue as to what he is doing, nor does he have a f***ing vision for the show.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dr. Chip

I think in the future we'll see a handful of vets -- Caroline, Abe, Lexie, Maggie, Bo, and Hope. We'll still have the pub and the police station and a Horton or two for every holiday. The rest of the cast will be newbies. Not only that, they will be involved in short story arcs (like we had with Ava).

For example, Caroline would take in a new boarder at the pub. The person would become involved with Stephanie. Bo, Hope, or Abe could do a background check. The focus would be three or four young actors in a story that would occasionally involve the vets. After 13 weeks, a couple of the young actors are gone and we suddenly see a couple of more people cruise into town. This time, there's a police case, and Bo and Hope are the supporting players . . . or Lexie has a new patient who gets a story for a few months. I can see DAYS using all of the vets who are left as supporting cast and letting the new DAYS be about newbies who come and go through a quickly revolving door. That way, you still have some of the core cast, and the new actors are never around long enough to collect substantial paychecks.

It would be like Ellie said -- the only familiar thing would be the hourglass logo and a Brady or a Horton here and there. The idea sucks, but this is what came to my mind when I read Corday's comments about "reinventing DAYS." What a sad day.

Edited by Dr. Chip, Dec 2 2008, 08:53 PM.

Ellie

FanODays
Dec 2 2008, 08:50 PM
If the cast and crew are just now getting frustrated by Corday then where have they been living for the past few years? Weren't they around when Ashford, Pinson and Madison were fired just after having their contracts renewed? Weren't they around when Drake and Joe were let go only to be brought back a short time later? Weren't they around when airtime for beloved characters was given to newibies who the viewers had no investment in?
I know, I thought that was strange too. I get the sense though, just from having read and seen many cast interviews lately (such as the ones from 'Fanfest'), that the loss of Ed Scott was a real blow to the morale of the cast. So many cast members seemed so enthusiastic about Ed and his work, and I haven't really heard them say the same about Gary Tomlin. I think that Corday's decision to fire Scott might have been what prompted this current frustration and anger, and of course that decision was followed a few months later by the "spokes" interview and the firing of Drake and Deidre.

Ellie

Dr. Chip
Dec 2 2008, 08:51 PM
I think in the future we'll see a handful of vets -- Caroline, Abe, Lexie, Maggie, Bo, and Hope. We'll still have the pub and the police station and a Horton or two for every holiday. The rest of the cast will be newbies. Not only that, they will be involved in short story arcs (like we had with Ava).

For example, Caroline would take in a new boarder at the pub. The person would become involved with Stephanie. Bo, Hope, or Abe could do a background check. The focus would be three or four young actors in a story that would occasionally involve the vets. After 13 weeks, a couple of the young actors are gone and we suddenly see a couple of more people cruise into town. This time, there's a police case, and Bo and Hope are the supporting players . . . or Lexie has a new patient who gets a story for a few months. I can see DAYS using all of the vets who are left as supporting cast and letting the new DAYS be about newbies who come and go through a quickly revolving door. That way, you still have some of the core cast, and the new actors are never around long enough to collect substantial paychecks.

It would be like Ellie said -- the only familiar thing would be the hourglass logo and a Brady or a Horton here and there. The idea sucks, but this is what came to my mind when I read Corday's comments about "reinventing DAYS." What a sad day.
That's right along the lines of what I was picturing when I wrote that post. It really is sad, but I think that's the direction in which the show is headed at this point.

esp13
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 2 2008, 08:00 PM
esp13
Dec 2 2008, 07:49 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying, although it's a little more than that. Sometime in the summer of 2007 or so, I was having a discussion on another board about Days and how much some hated it and how some loved it, etc. In the course of that discussion, I said something then that I still feel now. There may come a day that I simply cannot watch the show anymore. It happened before in 1992 when it became something I no longer recognized. There have been moments over the last two years when I've been thisclose to saying goodbye again. But, even if I can no longer watch it and no longer recognize the show or the characters that I love, I still can't say I'd wish for it's cancellation. Because if it is still ringing true for somebody out there, then I don't want them to lose that. As long as somebody is watching and enjoying, then I'd like to see Days survive. I can choose not to watch it, but I don't want somebody to make that choice for everybody.
That makes sense. I guess I feel differently on that point, because I think "Days" as a creative entity has some value. For example, let's say the show got a complete makeover (I know this isn't what's happening, just saying), and the entire cast was replaced. Virtually the only thing that was the same was the hourglass logo. There would still be a few people watching, but I wouldn't feel any loyalty to them, because Days would be a different show. Those people would be fans of the new show, not the Days we all know and love. While I'm sure the show isn't getting a total makeover, I wonder if the recent cuts are a signal that it is changing. Some change is always good; I'm not trying to overlook that. But if the show changes too much, it really will seem like a different show, and at that point, I'd say that it's time to call it quits.
Sure, it would seem like a different show and I'd understand if it were time to call it quits for you as I'm sure it would be for me. But canceling the show means calling it quits for everybody and that's what I have a hard time with. There are a million shows on TV I don't watch and don't like, but I can make the choice for myself to say goodbye and I don't feel I have the right to hope that the choice is made for everybody.

I understand what you are saying about Days having value and that is being lost as the downward spiral continues. And 18 months from now, I may be looking back wishing it had been canceled in 2009. I just figure everybody else has to make that decision on their own and the ratings will reflect it, one way or another.

Kyrai

esp13
Dec 2 2008, 09:26 PM
Ellie
Dec 2 2008, 08:00 PM
esp13
Dec 2 2008, 07:49 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying, although it's a little more than that. Sometime in the summer of 2007 or so, I was having a discussion on another board about Days and how much some hated it and how some loved it, etc. In the course of that discussion, I said something then that I still feel now. There may come a day that I simply cannot watch the show anymore. It happened before in 1992 when it became something I no longer recognized. There have been moments over the last two years when I've been thisclose to saying goodbye again. But, even if I can no longer watch it and no longer recognize the show or the characters that I love, I still can't say I'd wish for it's cancellation. Because if it is still ringing true for somebody out there, then I don't want them to lose that. As long as somebody is watching and enjoying, then I'd like to see Days survive. I can choose not to watch it, but I don't want somebody to make that choice for everybody.
That makes sense. I guess I feel differently on that point, because I think "Days" as a creative entity has some value. For example, let's say the show got a complete makeover (I know this isn't what's happening, just saying), and the entire cast was replaced. Virtually the only thing that was the same was the hourglass logo. There would still be a few people watching, but I wouldn't feel any loyalty to them, because Days would be a different show. Those people would be fans of the new show, not the Days we all know and love. While I'm sure the show isn't getting a total makeover, I wonder if the recent cuts are a signal that it is changing. Some change is always good; I'm not trying to overlook that. But if the show changes too much, it really will seem like a different show, and at that point, I'd say that it's time to call it quits.
Sure, it would seem like a different show and I'd understand if it were time to call it quits for you as I'm sure it would be for me. But canceling the show means calling it quits for everybody and that's what I have a hard time with. There are a million shows on TV I don't watch and don't like, but I can make the choice for myself to say goodbye and I don't feel I have the right to hope that the choice is made for everybody.

I understand what you are saying about Days having value and that is being lost as the downward spiral continues. And 18 months from now, I may be looking back wishing it had been canceled in 2009. I just figure everybody else has to make that decision on their own and the ratings will reflect it, one way or another.
That's where I am now. If it were a 'Wagon Train' type of show with J&M, I'd probably stick around and watch even though it wouldn't be the show that I really want. So long as they had good moments at all, I've watched this long. I can't wish it dead if there are Bope, Tanna and other fans that will enjoy it. Right now, I still care because J&M are still on, and I'd like this last bit to be good, but I think after they're gone, I won't care for myself, but I won't wish the show dead.

At the same time, I have some pretty harsh resentment for Corday's mismanagement and Higley's writing, so it would be nice to see karma bite them. Just not at the expense of the actors and crew who are just doing their job.

Ellie

Kyrai
Dec 2 2008, 09:47 PM
That's where I am now. If it were a 'Wagon Train' type of show with J&M, I'd probably stick around and watch even though it wouldn't be the show that I really want. So long as they had good moments at all, I've watched this long. I can't wish it dead if there are Bope, Tanna and other fans that will enjoy it. Right now, I still care because J&M are still on, and I'd like this last bit to be good, but I think after they're gone, I won't care for myself, but I won't wish the show dead.

At the same time, I have some pretty harsh resentment for Corday's mismanagement and Higley's writing, so it would be nice to see karma bite them. Just not at the expense of the actors and crew who are just doing their job.
I just want to make sure that what I'm saying is clear (though we all disagree, which is fine!) - what I'm saying is that I think Bope and Tanna fans won't be enjoying the show in a few months. I'm saying that if the ratings go down to a 0.9 or something like that (again, just hypothetical), then I'd think that Days should have been canceled, because I'd like it to 'go out in style' rather than waste away (though it already may be too late for that). But I do understand what both of you are saying, that even with extremely low ratings, there will still be some people who are enjoying the show.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 2 2008, 04:43 PM
There is "growing unease" on the set, and Michael Logan's sources tell him that many are growing upset at Corday's "messy management style and his penchant for punishing the cast for his own overspending."
Well, it's nice to know that not everything is peaches and cream on the set. I recently watched a clip from that horrible "Garden of Eden" story. And it makes me sick knowing that money and time was wasted to put crap like that on the air.

Quote:

- Days was paying JER "millions" at the time of his death, and they will continue paying JER's estate into 2009.

LOL. This is great. Somewhere in the sky, I bet Reilly is eating ringdings, laughing at his nemesis, Ken Corday. No wonder Reilly and NBC told Corday where to shove it when he was ousted from his HW seat in 2006(?). Not only did he have to pay out the rest of Reilly's contract when he was fired for Hogan, but NBC also made the show take a paycut as a result. This warms my heart. I wonder if Hogan is still being paid off by Corday. I also wonder if "The Event Planner" has a similar ironclad contract.

I'm really hoping Corday and SONY can pull this off. It sounds to me like Corday(unless he pays for the show going in the red) won't even have the money to continue the show by the time the budget slashing is done.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Tripp
Dec 2 2008, 05:44 PM
Am I the only one almost wishing the show was cancelled? If the result of renewal means trimming the budget by several actors, losing sets and still continued bad ass writing, then I wished everyone could have gotten a happy ending and be done with it.
I agree. I don't see the point in prolonging the inevitable. Wrap it up and call it a day. I don't see what 18 more months of a crappy show is going to accomplish, other than giving NBC time to find a viable replacement.

King
Member Avatar

It's definitely not self-sabotage.

No one would do this deliberately to their parents dream and legacy. He's a moron yes, but not evil.

Deleted User
Deleted User

IHeartDRRick
Dec 2 2008, 09:55 PM
Ellie
There is "growing unease" on the set, and Michael Logan's sources tell him that many are growing upset at Corday's "messy management style and his penchant for punishing the cast for his own overspending."
Well, it's nice to know that not everything is peaches and cream on the set. I recently watched a clip from that horrible "Garden of Eden" story. And it makes me sick knowing that money and time was wasted to put crap like that on the air.

Why do you hate yourself?
Quote Post Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

King
Dec 2 2008, 10:14 PM
It's definitely not self-sabotage.

No one would do this deliberately to their parents dream and legacy. He's a moron yes, but not evil.
I agree that he's not evil, but I'm not so sure about the sabotage thing. I think he's been pretty focused at making it his show, as opposed to the Days left to him by his parents (or anyone else's show, for that matter). He seems to deliberately interfere with writers without regard for what that interference does to the show. To me, that's sabotage, though I think he wants to salvage the brand name and wring whatever money he can from it.

I'm kind of surprised at Reilly. Contracts are contracts, but man. To keep taking the money is just wrong. Like stealing from sick orphans.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

Amello
Dec 2 2008, 10:32 PM
Why do you hate yourself?
I don't copy. Hate myself enough to watch The Garden of Eden story on DAYS? LOL. I was randomly searching soap clips and having never seen it during the original airshow, I decided to humor myself with a clip. It was painful to watch, to say the least. Not even Austin Peck's body could save that for me.

Quote:

I'm kind of surprised at Reilly. Contracts are contracts, but man. To keep taking the money is just wrong. Like stealing from sick orphans.

I don't blame Reilly for taking money from Corday. The second time around, Wyman and especially Corday's interference(in what was supposed to be a contract that gave him complete creative control over DAYS' stories) completely screwed his stories over. The big one being the mess known as The Stalker/Melaswen. It's a miracle Reilly didn't sue Wyman and Corday over breach of contract.

As evil as you may think it, Corday broke his agreement by not having faith in Reilly to goose the numbers and he was punished for that. I bet Reilly laughed his ass out of his last meeting at Burbank.
Edited by bellcurve, Dec 2 2008, 10:39 PM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ellie
- There is "growing unease" on the set, and Michael Logan's sources tell him that many are growing upset at Corday's "messy management style and his penchant for punishing the cast for his own overspending."
I don't blame them at all! He has wrecked the show and turned it into a financial mess with all of his unnecessary stupidity.

When it comes to the point that you're paying a dead man millions of dollars to rot in a grave, you know you've fucked up somewhere. Corday's colossal idiocy and mismanagement of budget should be written into a book. "How to Fuck Up a Soap Budget by Ken Corday."

Kenny
Member Avatar

Tripp
Am I the only one almost wishing the show was cancelled? If the result of renewal means trimming the budget by several actors, losing sets and still continued bad ass writing, then I wished everyone could have gotten a happy ending and be done with it.
AMEN!

Sad, but true.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 2 2008, 06:15 PM
Tripp
Nope, you're not the only one. The show's future may look bleak now, but I have a feeling it's only going to get worse in the coming months.
If it weren't for the fact that all the actors will be the ones to suffer, I would almost WISH for things to get worse... just so I can laugh as it all implodes on Corday's head.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 2 2008, 08:53 PM
I think that Corday's decision to fire Scott might have been what prompted this current frustration and anger...
Thanks, Higley! :flipoff:

I really do think she's blowing Corday. There's no other explanation.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Dr. Chip

That would completely and thoroughly suck.

One of the best parts about being a fan of daytime drama is the fact that you get to know the characters over long period of time. You grow to love them and feel as if they're part of your own family, and that's part of a soap opera's appeal. To lose that in favor of random short-term newbies would really blow.

Kenny
Member Avatar

IHeartDRRick
Dec 2 2008, 09:55 PM
Not only did he have to pay out the rest of Reilly's contract when he was fired for Hogan, but NBC also made the show take a paycut as a result. This warms my heart. I wonder if Hogan is still being paid off by Corday.
Probably!

He'll probably be paying Hogan through 2012, LoL. What happens if Days goes off the air in 2010 and Corday can't afford to pay Hogan through the rest of his crazy ass ironclad contract? Any chance that Corday could be sued and jailed? *wishes and hopes*

Mason
Member Avatar

Kenny
Dec 2 2008, 11:22 PM
What happens if Days goes off the air in 2010 and Corday can't afford to pay Hogan through the rest of his crazy ass ironclad contract? Any chance that Corday could be sued and jailed? *wishes and hopes*
LoL! That would be such a great silver lining to DAYS ending.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply