Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Guide: The Days Disaster by Michael Logan; Article Summary
Topic Started: Dec 2 2008, 04:43 PM (3,834 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Mason
Dec 2 2008, 11:25 PM
Kenny
Dec 2 2008, 11:22 PM
What happens if Days goes off the air in 2010 and Corday can't afford to pay Hogan through the rest of his crazy ass ironclad contract? Any chance that Corday could be sued and jailed? *wishes and hopes*
LoL! That would be such a great silver lining to DAYS ending.
I could totally see Corday pulling a Rauch/Santa Barbara ending!
Quote Post Goto Top

deefanUBS

Tripp
Dec 2 2008, 05:44 PM
Am I the only one almost wishing the show was cancelled? If the result of renewal means trimming the budget by several actors, losing sets and still continued bad ass writing, then I wished everyone could have gotten a happy ending and be done with it.
No you aren't. I think that would have been right thing to do. If the show is in such a financial mess that it had to let the star of the show go, what exactly is their reason for continuing? What show continues once they've done that?! Sure, the remaining cast/crew will get a (smaller) pay check for the next 18 months, but is continuing this charade really worth it?! DAYS was just barely making it as it was. Now with more cuts, it will no doubt only get worse.

I'm just glad that once Deidre and Drake exit, I can finally wash my hands of this show!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jiggs
Member Avatar

King
Dec 2 2008, 10:14 PM
It's definitely not self-sabotage.

No one would do this deliberately to their parents dream and legacy. He's a moron yes, but not evil.
Most people that do self-sabotage do it unconsciously. Corday always tells the story of being a fourteen year old having to sit at the table and listen to his parents talk about soap operas and Days of Our Lives and how he didn't enjoy that. Days is something he inherited, like a noose around his neck. Music is his passion, not Days. Just my little theory of the man.

deefanUBS

Jiggs
Dec 2 2008, 11:52 PM
King
Dec 2 2008, 10:14 PM
It's definitely not self-sabotage.

No one would do this deliberately to their parents dream and legacy. He's a moron yes, but not evil.
Most people that do self-sabotage do it unconsciously. Corday always tells the story of being a fourteen year old having to sit at the table and listen to his parents talk about soap operas and Days of Our Lives and how he didn't enjoy that. Days is something he inherited, like a noose around his neck. Music is his passion, not Days. Just my little theory of the man.
Yup, just like lots of people are teachers but not everyone can teach.

If Ken really wanted to do what was right for DAYS, several years ago when the show began falling apart, he would have stepped down and hired someone who could have done his job right! My anger with this man stems from a belief that he never should have let DAYS fall to the point it has. :shame:
Edited by deefanUBS, Dec 3 2008, 12:02 AM.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

They are STILL paying JER even after he is DEAD. WTF?!?!?! This is insanity. This is fucking show business malpractice that Corday is perpetrating on this show. I bet he is still paying Hogan and Ed Scott too. Fucking bullshit.

I hope when Corday is laying off/asking for paycuts from the people who actually have contributed positive things to this show that he has seen his paycheck trimmed BIG TIME, but somehow I doubt it.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

deefanUBS
Dec 2 2008, 11:29 PM
Tripp
Dec 2 2008, 05:44 PM
Am I the only one almost wishing the show was cancelled? If the result of renewal means trimming the budget by several actors, losing sets and still continued bad ass writing, then I wished everyone could have gotten a happy ending and be done with it.
No you aren't. I think that would have been right thing to do. If the show is in such a financial mess that it had to let the star of the show go, what exactly is their reason for continuing? What show continues once they've done that?! Sure, the remaining cast/crew will get a (smaller) pay check for the next 18 months, but is continuing this charade really worth it?! DAYS was just barely making it as it was. Now with more cuts, it will no doubt only get worse.

I'm just glad that once Deidre and Drake exit, I can finally wash my hands of this show!
All I could figure was maybe NBC was purposely having the show go out ruined so it would be less attractive to ABC or CBS or anyone else who might want to pick it up and run it against DOOL's time slot. Of course, that involves a lot of fantasy on my part that DOOL is actually sought by other nets.

Mason
Member Avatar

I would be quite interested to know if Corday has taken a paycut, himself...

hops
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 3 2008, 12:13 AM
Ditto!

daysfan
Member Avatar

I think Corday loves Days, he loves his parents creation. I don't think he's evil or is deliberately out to DESTROY it. Thats not his life goal or anything.

But, here's what I think it all comes down to:

Corday does not know how to produce a soap opera, or maybe he just doesn't know how to anymore.

The fact that he produced Days so well from 1985-about 2000 or so is beyond me, he may have just lost his touch, let things get too crazy, or both.

But in the 80's, Corday had Al Rabin at his side the whole time, an experienced man who had been there with Betty before Corday came into the picture. I without a doubt think that helped because it seems like Co-EPs play a big factor into Days.

In the 90's, DARE I say this and please no one come at me with knives and pitchforks, but Langan was actually a good Co-EP. He probably helped balance Corday out. Langan was horrible as HW, but not so much as Co-EP.

But then, after the 90's, the fanbases came. And added to that, Corday let Langan get too out of control, which is when he got bad, and Days has been in chaos ever since. I think in the 80's and bulk of the 90's, Corday didn't have to worry about fanbases for two reasons: They did not exist and there was no internet to read all over. Langan went totally HAYWIRE and ever since then, Days has been on a HW merry-go-round. That was when things fell apart.

B&C came in and I think they just about fixed the show creativity-wise, but Corday made a DUMB move and brought in Steve Wyman. And do I need to discuss him and his SFX? And I don't think Wyman knows how to handle anything, I think he was just the guy who went along with whatever Corday did, and that was what showed me how bad Corday really was, and how dependent he is on Co-EPs.

Corday isn't the worst producer on Daytime, but he's far from the best, and after examining his career I think it all comes down to the fact that he has no clue how to produce a show. And its sad because after 23 years in Daytime, Corday still acts inexperienced in any move he makes. Part of this is due to HWs, they take their share of the blame, but he signs someone to a new contract, oh wait weeks later they are gone. The show has gone through so many Co-HWs in the past year its insane, heck its gone through so many HWs this decade its insane.

And while Ed and "The Diva" take full blame for the actual scandal, I mean it was all their fault as I have said numerous times, it probably wouldn't have happened in the end if it wasn't for Corday's stupid decisions.
Edited by daysfan, Dec 3 2008, 01:07 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Dec 3 2008, 12:13 AM
There is no way of ever knowing.

Just like the head of a business, you never know how much is taken out for business and personal and such. He has the most ownership so he's in charge. For all we know, he may be taking money for himself. I don't think he would but it's possible.

Drew is right though. The JER contract is not just Corday's fault. It's his fault because he agreed to it and trashed JER's second run along with Wyman. NBC forced that deal on him by saying he had to take JER back or the show was done. Corday should've either stuck to his guns and took the show elsewhere or let it be cancelled (which would be stupid given where Days was in 2003) or should've let JER write and not interfered).

I will let the JER contract go but the other stuff is on him. I'm glad the cast is upset. Took them long enough. I don't think Ed getting fired was it. I think it started with firing Hogan and then all the shit Ed and the diva did. I think the fact that something like that happened pissed people off and now this. The fact is now two vets were fired and others have to take massive cuts. It's directly impacting them and that is why they all of a sudden feel like complaining. Up until now, they loved Corday even when he canned them. Now that they are impacted financially and that so much shit is happening that is giving the show a worse reputation then it already is, they are pissed.

I'm not shocked NBC nearly canceled them. They almost canceled them in 1998 (when they were 2nd in ratings) and in 2003. They want out. The only reason it didn't happen in my view is because the rest of NBC is so messed up they had no time to worry about replacing it with something viable.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

daysfan
Dec 3 2008, 01:05 AM
I think Corday loves Days, he loves his parents creation. I don't think he's evil or is deliberately out to DESTROY it. Thats not his life goal or anything.

But, here's what I think it all comes down to:

Corday does not know how to produce a soap opera, or maybe he just doesn't know how to anymore.

The fact that he produced Days so well from 1985-about 2000 or so is beyond me, he may have just lost his touch, let things get too crazy, or both.

But in the 80's, Corday had Al Rabin at his side the whole time, an experienced man who had been there with Betty before Corday came into the picture. I without a doubt think that helped because it seems like Co-EPs play a big factor into Days.

In the 90's, DARE I say this and please no one come at me with knives and pitchforks, but Langan was actually a good Co-EP. He probably helped balance Corday out. Langan was horrible as HW, but not so much as Co-EP.

But then, after the 90's, the fanbases came. And added to that, Corday let Langan get too out of control, which is when he got bad, and Days has been in chaos ever since. I think in the 80's and bulk of the 90's, Corday didn't have to worry about fanbases for two reasons: They did not exist and there was no internet to read all over. Langan went totally HAYWIRE and ever since then, Days has been on a HW merry-go-round. That was when things fell apart.

B&C came in and I think they just about fixed the show creativity-wise, but Corday made a DUMB move and brought in Steve Wyman. And do I need to discuss him and his SFX? And I don't think Wyman knows how to handle anything, I think he was just the guy who went along with whatever Corday did, and that was what showed me how bad Corday really was, and how dependent he is on Co-EPs.

Corday isn't the worst producer on Daytime, but he's far from the best, and after examining his career I think it all comes down to the fact that he has no clue how to produce a show. And its sad because after 23 years in Daytime, Corday still acts inexperienced in any move he makes. Part of this is due to HWs, they take their share of the blame, but he signs someone to a new contract, oh wait weeks later they are gone. The show has gone through so many Co-HWs in the past year its insane, heck its gone through so many HWs this decade its insane.

And while Ed and "The Diva" take full blame for the actual scandal, I mean it was all their fault as I have said numerous times, it probably wouldn't have happened in the end if it wasn't for Corday's stupid decisions.
Wonderful post.

The key to the 80's and 90's is he didn't interfere. He had people like Rabin, Langan, etc that kept him out of it. I thought Ed Scott could but the truth is by the time Ed came, Corday had been interfering so much he felt he could no matter what because Wyman let him and Langan eventually did as well.

The fanbases also didn't control the show so Corday didn't feel the need to panic so much. Panic is the major reason why Days is such a mess. The man can't commit to any direction because he worries about every single fan group. He needs to accept the fact he can't please everyone, step back, and let the co-EP handle things with the writers like in the 80's and 90's.

Deidrefan28

Corday needs to get his head out of his ass before his show is cancelled for good. I'd hate to see it happen, but it would serve him right!

Nicole Walker

LMFAO. They are still paying JER. HAHAHA.

King
Member Avatar

I am sure Corday is taking a cut himself. I think the producers in charge of the finances would probably revolt if he didn't.

jane1978

Nicole Dimera
Dec 3 2008, 01:43 AM
Sorry, I know itīs now popular to diss Corday but people should praise him he was willing to fire JER and pay him another 6 years for nothing because he did for us. DAYS viewers hated JER and wanted him out more than anything. Unfortunatelly, it didnīt work with Sheffer but letīs not forget how exctatic everyone was when the news about JER first got out.

Letīs not pretend Reilly was some genious HW. JER was already way past his prime and his stories were attrocious, with zero uniqueness and almost generic. Iīm not talking about the SSK, Melaswen and Tonyīs castle combo which he might was forced to rewrite, but letīs look at the other gems he created. Jack dying three times in three years? The Irag? Shawn in the cage? Phillip and Belle playing dumb and dumber? Jennifer, Patrick and his miracle coin?

That man was poison, totally driven by his overblown ego and not willing to listen to anyone. He destryoned even his own show only a few years later just because he let his twisted fantasy way out of control. So yeah, itīs easy to laugh six years later seeing how the switch ended. But at the time it seemed like a good decision.

Mason
Member Avatar

jane1978
Dec 3 2008, 03:34 PM
Sorry, I know itīs now popular to diss Corday but people should praise him he was willing to fire JER and pay him another 6 years for nothing because he did for us. DAYS viewers hated JER and wanted him out more than anything. Unfortunatelly, it didnīt work with Sheffer but letīs not forget how exctatic everyone was when the news about JER first got out.

Letīs not pretend Reilly was some genious HW. JER was already way past his prime and his stories were attrocious, with zero uniqueness and almost generic. Iīm not talking about the SSK, Melaswen and Tonyīs castle combo which he might was forced to rewrite, but letīs look at the other gems he created. Jack dying three times in three years? The Irag? Shawn in the cage? Phillip and Belle playing dumb and dumber? Jennifer, Patrick and his miracle coin?

That man was poison, totally driven by his overblown ego and not willing to listen to anyone. He destryoned even his own show only a few years later just because he let his twisted fantasy way out of control. So yeah, itīs easy to laugh six years later seeing how the switch ended. But at the time it seemed like a good decision.
We don't agree often, but I couldn't agree more with this post. As much as a moron as I believe Corday to be, this is one decision that I can't condemn him for. He did what he had to do for the greater good of the show (or at least what seemed to be that, at the time). JER was annihilating DAYS, and he HAD to go. Unfortunately, it came with a hefty price.

Kenny
Member Avatar

jane1978
Nicole Dimera
I wasn't a fan of JER's second run by a long shot (post-SSK) but I really feel like much of that was due to Corday's interference. His stories were unusually bizarre (compared to his first run) and the show really seemed to lack a strong direction. Everything was all over the place. That's very uncharacteristic of JER.

jane1978

Kenny
Dec 3 2008, 03:40 PM
jane1978
Nicole Dimera
I wasn't a fan of JER's second run by a long shot (post-SSK) but I really feel like much of that was due to Corday's interference. His stories were unusually bizarre (compared to his first run) and the show really seemed to lack a strong direction. Everything was all over the place. That's very uncharacteristic of JER.
Iīm willing to believe he was forced to rewrite the SSK, Melaswen and Tonyīs island stories. But the rest? No. He was obsessed with triangles and all his stories were driven by the same idea. Force a thirdparty between every couple on the show no matter how stupid, forced, or out of character it is.

Besides, as I said. He destroyed his own show too. And thatīs where he had totall control.

Beth
Member Avatar

The only way to save this show is to go back to the basics. I would scrap the writers and start over. If you're paying some dead guy and still having to pay writers then you get people like Dena (the bottom of the barrel) because you can't afford to pay good writers.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I can't credit Corday with firing Reilly because I'm not sure the problems were Reilly's fault. His storytelling was very focused on triangles, but that's not what I found obnoxious. That stupid neverending kidnapping crap- that I hated, and I think Corday caused much of that. I have a tough time praising people for fixing mistakes they helped to cause.

As for writers- I wonder what it would take to get them to risk it on someone from outside the genre? There's a lot of great, complicated Days fiction out there, and it would be interesting to see what one of those people could do with the show, even with budget constraints and all that. It certainly couldn't hurt to try it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply