Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Guide: The Days Disaster by Michael Logan; Article Summary
Topic Started: Dec 2 2008, 04:43 PM (3,798 Views)
Ellie

px780
Dec 3 2008, 08:40 PM
As for writers- I wonder what it would take to get them to risk it on someone from outside the genre? There's a lot of great, complicated Days fiction out there, and it would be interesting to see what one of those people could do with the show, even with budget constraints and all that. It certainly couldn't hurt to try it.
Sounds great, but if they can't handle that, how about someone who hasn't already been fired from the same show?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

deefanUBS
Dec 2 2008, 11:29 PM
Tripp
Dec 2 2008, 05:44 PM
Am I the only one almost wishing the show was cancelled? If the result of renewal means trimming the budget by several actors, losing sets and still continued bad ass writing, then I wished everyone could have gotten a happy ending and be done with it.
No you aren't. I think that would have been right thing to do. If the show is in such a financial mess that it had to let the star of the show go, what exactly is their reason for continuing? What show continues once they've done that?! Sure, the remaining cast/crew will get a (smaller) pay check for the next 18 months, but is continuing this charade really worth it?! DAYS was just barely making it as it was. Now with more cuts, it will no doubt only get worse.

I'm just glad that once Deidre and Drake exit, I can finally wash my hands of this show!
I'm sad to see Dee go, but I think it's a little out there to think that Dee is the star of the show, and without her, there isn't any show.

tcstone

Ellie
Dec 2 2008, 09:52 PM
Kyrai
Dec 2 2008, 09:47 PM
That's where I am now. If it were a 'Wagon Train' type of show with J&M, I'd probably stick around and watch even though it wouldn't be the show that I really want. So long as they had good moments at all, I've watched this long. I can't wish it dead if there are Bope, Tanna and other fans that will enjoy it. Right now, I still care because J&M are still on, and I'd like this last bit to be good, but I think after they're gone, I won't care for myself, but I won't wish the show dead.

At the same time, I have some pretty harsh resentment for Corday's mismanagement and Higley's writing, so it would be nice to see karma bite them. Just not at the expense of the actors and crew who are just doing their job.
I just want to make sure that what I'm saying is clear (though we all disagree, which is fine!) - what I'm saying is that I think Bope and Tanna fans won't be enjoying the show in a few months. I'm saying that if the ratings go down to a 0.9 or something like that (again, just hypothetical), then I'd think that Days should have been canceled, because I'd like it to 'go out in style' rather than waste away (though it already may be too late for that). But I do understand what both of you are saying, that even with extremely low ratings, there will still be some people who are enjoying the show.
I think I understand what you are saying...you'd rather see the show leave with dignity and pride rather than watch it die an indignant death.

I'm torn. I agree that Corday's mismanagement (and that's putting it lightly) is the reason his organization is in shambles. I akin him to the leadership of giant corporations, banks, etc who are living it up in the land of luxury while those who supported them for so many years are left holding an empty bag. The "I got mine" attitude doesn't go over well. Corday has promised time and time again that a big story is coming only to have it hiccup and be gone. Directions shift more than the wind and the young set just doesn't have the acting chops to hold the storyline. If he wants to re-invent he needs to look back to a time when Days was successful and re-energize those ingredients. The romance, the family base, the character development, the storylines which were intertwined with other storylines - magnifying a couple, an ensemble, an individual, a cause. It made sense.

As for Higley's writing as well as her leadership from the helm of headwriter - well that's nonexistent to many. There is no storyline, no depth, no development of characters. Events are replayed, rewritten in more ways than are imaginable and never given time to develop. There is no creativity, no ingenuous attempts at creating something fresh and new. It's stale, old, boring (for the most part). Every once in awhile I see a glimmer of strength only to have it trashed in the next day or so.

Shows have re-invented themselves in the toughest of times. It's possible. But more often than not a show which looses its foundation and veteran characters who have brought people to watch the show and tries to reinvent gets canned rather quickly.

It would show creativity, strength, determination and desire to succeed to take the budget cuts, set shortages, etc and work with ingredients on hand (veterans and a solid storyline) to reinvent the based on previous success. Instead of fixing the problem they are treating the symptom and that just means more symptoms will happen.

I don't watch the show regularly anymore. But I acknowledge that there are individuals who are enjoying the activities of their favourite characters. The sad part is the overdose of the same characters equates to loss of viewers.

In the day of budget cuts and set reductions, instead of hiring so many unknowns why not look to what's in the pantry and make the best use of it.

mer4santo
Member Avatar
I own you bitch.

I'd imagine the cast and crew have been upset of a long time now, but everyone 'toes the line' so to speak because the 'family' image of the show shouldn't be upset. How can the employees not feel like the ship is sinking when they rehearse, tape and produce the same mundane scenes week after week and then have any direction be rerouted at a moments notice.

With the continual problems in the writing department, at least Hogan had some direction (though I know Kenny had his fingers in that pot too), his dialogue was intellegent, and I rather enjoyed the pacing of the show. That being said he wrote some complete drivel as well. Dena on the other hand has yet to follow through with any thing remotely intelligent or compelling and has little understanding of the characters themselves.

In the soap world it's the characters and the audiences relationship with them that keeps us coming back. I started watching Days in '81 and watched through '93 then returned in early '07. I returned because I was watching characters that I loved back onscreen. They beauty of daytime is that you can write practically any obnoxious story (whether loved or hated) and the fans will wade through it as long as the characters deal with the situations in character.

If tptb completely decimate every character I know, and they are rapidly acheiving that goal, I will quit watching but until then I watch everyday with my trusty ff button at hand.

CatherineEarnshaw

goldylicious
Dec 3 2008, 09:01 PM
deefanUBS
Tripp
Am I the only one almost wishing the show was cancelled? If the result of renewal means trimming the budget by several actors, losing sets and still continued bad ass writing, then I wished everyone could have gotten a happy ending and be done with it.
No you aren't. I think that would have been right thing to do. If the show is in such a financial mess that it had to let the star of the show go, what exactly is their reason for continuing? What show continues once they've done that?! Sure, the remaining cast/crew will get a (smaller) pay check for the next 18 months, but is continuing this charade really worth it?! DAYS was just barely making it as it was. Now with more cuts, it will no doubt only get worse.

I'm just glad that once Deidre and Drake exit, I can finally wash my hands of this show!
I'm sad to see Dee go, but I think it's a little out there to think that Dee is the star of the show, and without her, there isn't any show.
So who is the star?

shiningstar

Tripp
Nope Tripp, I co-sign your post. I know it's awful to say this as many people would be out of jobs, but in my opinion they are prolonging the inevitable. DOOL will not stay on air past 2010 because of Corday so why not just put us all out of our misery?!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

CatherineEarnshaw
Dec 4 2008, 05:59 PM
goldylicious
deefanUBS
Tripp

So who is the star?
The cast. This is an ensemble and that is the way it should be. Soaps don't have one star. They are ensembles. No one character or actor is bigger then the rest. That doesn't mean some have more impact then others but it's a team effort.

This mentality that Dee is Days is what bothers me. If anyone IS Days, it's Alice Horton and the Horton family. Losing Alice would be like losing a part of the show's heart. She's been there since the beginning. This show was built on family and tradition, most of which was worked in via Alice and the Horton's and later the Brady's. Dee is important but she has not nor will she ever be the show.

She's important and popular and all that but this show survived without her once and it can again. I feel the decisions that may follow her ouster may be what hurts the show more when you add those to axing her and Drake. That is more concerning to me then simply axing Drake and Dee.

CatherineEarnshaw

PhoenixRising05
Dec 4 2008, 06:39 PM
CatherineEarnshaw
goldylicious
deefanUBS
Tripp

So who is the star?
The cast. This is an ensemble and that is the way it should be. Soaps don't have one star. They are ensembles. No one character or actor is bigger then the rest. That doesn't mean some have more impact then others but it's a team effort.

This mentality that Dee is Days is what bothers me. If anyone IS Days, it's Alice Horton and the Horton family. Losing Alice would be like losing a part of the show's heart. She's been there since the beginning. This show was built on family and tradition, most of which was worked in via Alice and the Horton's and later the Brady's. Dee is important but she has not nor will she ever be the show.

She's important and popular and all that but this show survived without her once and it can again. I feel the decisions that may follow her ouster may be what hurts the show more when you add those to axing her and Drake. That is more concerning to me then simply axing Drake and Dee.
i guess we shall see.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

CatherineEarnshaw
goldylicious
deefanUBS
Tripp

So who is the star?
There isn't one :) The only stars of the show have been Tom and Alice, as shown by the credits :)

Kyrai

Ellie
Dec 2 2008, 09:52 PM
Kyrai
Dec 2 2008, 09:47 PM
That's where I am now. If it were a 'Wagon Train' type of show with J&M, I'd probably stick around and watch even though it wouldn't be the show that I really want. So long as they had good moments at all, I've watched this long. I can't wish it dead if there are Bope, Tanna and other fans that will enjoy it. Right now, I still care because J&M are still on, and I'd like this last bit to be good, but I think after they're gone, I won't care for myself, but I won't wish the show dead.

At the same time, I have some pretty harsh resentment for Corday's mismanagement and Higley's writing, so it would be nice to see karma bite them. Just not at the expense of the actors and crew who are just doing their job.
I just want to make sure that what I'm saying is clear (though we all disagree, which is fine!) - what I'm saying is that I think Bope and Tanna fans won't be enjoying the show in a few months. I'm saying that if the ratings go down to a 0.9 or something like that (again, just hypothetical), then I'd think that Days should have been canceled, because I'd like it to 'go out in style' rather than waste away (though it already may be too late for that). But I do understand what both of you are saying, that even with extremely low ratings, there will still be some people who are enjoying the show.
Ellie, I missed your reply before. I'd like to clarify my comment. If John and Marlena continued on in a 'Wagon Train' type of story, and I still enjoyed the way they were portrayed, even if more of a framework for other stories, then I'd keep watching for the moments that I'd get. So, for that, I wouldn't want to wish Days dead for those who are hoping for stories for their couple(s).

I'd all but given up several times this year already in frustration. Even if J&M were staying, I'd been thinking that I'd rather it just end before everything I loved about them is destroyed. I never quite hit that breaking point because even feeling that way logically, my heart wanted to see them. I'm almost relieved the decision has been taken from my hands even if disappointed at what might have been.

I'm more saying, I can't make that decision of the breaking point for others because people like different things. I feel like we're in agreement though. I hate watching Days die a slow and lingering death. I'm hoping J&M go out well and probably better off if they do.

Deleted User
Deleted User

goldylicious
deefanUBS
Tripp

Well Its been widely acknowleged that Deidre is infact the Star of Days, and that she and Drake are the core foundation and that John/Marlena and Bo/Hope are who made this show a success for the last 25 years.
Yes there have been many other succesful couples and characters But .. That does not take away from The Star Power they bring. And none have had the staying power, fan following and impact of these 2 Supercouples.

You may see it differently, perhaps for you they are all just as Corday said "Spokes on a wheel, and easily recast".
But if thats how you see it then I would presume you have not been watching for too long, and sadly missed out on the opportunity to bond with any of these amazing characters..
Dee and Drakes last day will be my last day.. but I would not have missed these last 25-30 years for anything.

I agree that Alice is certainly part of that foundation, and a Star in her own right.. but She has not had any main storyline since even before Tom died. She is now more a "Figurehead" then a Star.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Taelyn
Dec 4 2008, 11:14 PM
goldylicious
deefanUBS
Tripp

Well Its been widely acknowleged that Deidre is infact the Star of Days, and that she and Drake are the core foundation and that John/Marlena and Bo/Hope are who made this show a success for the last 25 years.
Yes there have been many other succesful couples and characters But .. That does not take away from The Star Power they bring. And none have had the staying power, fan following and impact of these 2 Supercouples.

You may see it differently, perhaps for you they are all just as Corday said "Spokes on a wheel, and easily recast".
But if thats how you see it then I would presume you have not been watching for too long, and sadly missed out on the opportunity to bond with any of these amazing characters..
Dee and Drakes last day will be my last day.. but I would not have missed these last 25-30 years for anything.

I agree that Alice is certainly part of that foundation, and a Star in her own right.. but She has not had any main storyline since even before Tom died. She is now more a "Figurehead" then a Star.
All I said was that I didn't feel that Deidre Hall was the star of the show.... How you came up with your other assumptions I don't have any idea.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply