Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Susan Lucci takes pay cut
Topic Started: Dec 2 2008, 04:46 PM (1,913 Views)
Jonatha

Source: New York Post

Susan Lucci is the latest soap opera star who has been forced to take a salary cut because of the slowing economy and sinking ratings.

The trade magazine Advertising Age reports that Lucci and the entire cast of "All My Children" have been told they will have to take pay cuts or lose their jobs.

"Susan Lucci, Michael Knight and Ray McDonald have all been reduced - substantially," the show's creator, Agnes Nixon, told the magazine.

"And so have I," Nixon add. "The ratings are not the same."

Late last month, NBC's "Days of Our Lives" fired longtime stars Deirdre Hall and Drake Hogestyn and cut the rest of the cast's salaries by a reported 40 percent to keep the show on the air through 2010.

Hall's character had been on the show for 32 years.

The future of soap operas on broadcast TV is in grave doubt due to dwindling audiences and the comparative low cost of doing talk shows like "The View" instead. Ten years ago, there were 12 soaps on the air. Now there are only eight. "All My Children" has lost a third of it audience in that period - down to an average 2.6 million viewers a day.

No word on how severe a cut Lucci and the others had to take.

But it is interesting to note that "Dancing With the Stars" had been trying without success to talk Lucci into competing on its show for several seasons. Only this year did she say yes.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

What?! You mean she wasn't just fired outright with no negotiation? Carruthers and Frons must be NUTS!

jcar03
Member Avatar

Lucci's paycut made CNN Headline New's Showbiz tonight. They had a quick blurb on screen about it before a commerical break last night.

Dragonish1
Member Avatar

Good that Lucci was willing to take the pay cut. To me she is All My Children. I can not imagine her not being on it.

King
Member Avatar

Yeah, this was on Good Day LA this morning too.

If the SAG strike happens, seriously, soaps are done. Like FOR REAL.

daysfan
Member Avatar

King
Dec 2 2008, 08:24 PM
Yeah, this was on Good Day LA this morning too.

I agree. I have hope for soaps but another strike would kill them all. The WGA strike did enough damage, in fact, that was probably what put Days into the horrible position its in now, or at least started it. It seems like ever since the strike, things with the show have been insane.

Dr. Chip

Yeah, I bet she did.

Too bad Deidre wasn't offered the same opportunity, because I bet she would have done it, too.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

King
Dec 2 2008, 08:24 PM
How would this kill soaps?!

If anything, people of all kinds of work(writers, lighting, acting, etc.) are going to be flocking to work on these serials.

Soaps are represented by AFTRA, and that union already struck a deal with AMPTP. There are a few primetime shows that work under AFTRA deals, but that's completely different.

If the SAG strike does happen, those that work on shows with AFTRA contracts must report to work or be in breach of contract. I think only those that were majorly vocal about AFTRA's cost-cutting and misrepresentation(B&B's Susan Flannery, who(if you believe Variety) wanted SAG to take over jurisdiction of the show) will be the ones that refuse to cross the picket line.

If someone walks out on their AFTRA contract, I could see pending lawsuits after the strike and even their roles being recast by those who are in AFTRA, willing to "cross the picket line."

I have to respectfully disagree. Soaps will not stop because of the SAG strike. I see anyone and everyone willing to take someone's place in daytime who is too scared to work their AFTRA deal, in hopes they will someday land a film role or a respectable primetime TV series represented by SAG.

People in the industry(and aspiring performers) all say AFTRA is a shitty union. And while that may be true, money is money and work is work. There will not be a shortage of actors waiting for the chance to strut their stuff oncamera and stay with soaps for as long as they can. A job is a job to some people, regardless of dual union memberships or otherwise. I predict it to be like the WGA strike, except way more messy in the beginning.
Edited by bellcurve, Dec 2 2008, 08:56 PM.

King
Member Avatar

I wasn't aware of that, Iheart. I thought pretty much all actors were SAG. My Bad!

On Good Day LA today, they used the Susan Lucci story to piggy back onto news about the impending SAG strike and how it will hurt the soaps, so I just assumed soap stars were SAG.
Edited by King, Dec 2 2008, 08:59 PM.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

King
Dec 2 2008, 08:58 PM
I wasn't aware of that, Iheart. I thought pretty much all actors were SAG. My Bad!

On Good Day LA today, they used the Susan Lucci story to piggy back onto news about the impending SAG strike and how it will hurt the soaps, so I just assumed soap stars were SAG.
You're right King(and I didn't mean to imply you didn't know your stuff, was just offering another take): most soap stars are members of SAG, but they have dual memberships with SAG and AFTRA. And AFTRA is the guild they are contracted under with regards to their soap work.

It is very, very possible that a SAG strike could cripple the soap industry if very few people show up to work in solidarity with SAG. But that is highly unlikely for daytime soaps, unless those SAG supporters within their respective soaps encourage a walkout, in the hopes of getting SAG representation or a better deal with AFTRA. But it must hurt soap actors causes knowing that SAG Head Alan Rosenberg, in a statement to the press(regarding his meeting with Flannery and another B&B cast member), said that SAG has no interest in representing performers from soaps and that AFTRA was better at dealing with their needs.

As I said earlier, I think those who leave the soap world during the strike will be those who hate working under AFTRA(i.e. Flannery) or younger actors coaxed into believing they will have a career outside of daytime. And I see both sets of AFTRA/SAG cardholders being replaced or written out during the strike. And I expect those people will have their asses sued bigtime for breach of contract.

Don't ever think I'm like getting all feisty with you or anything King. I love you boy!

King
Member Avatar

Haha. Oh no. I know. :)

To be honest, I don't really understand all of the details. I am glad you are here to explain. Haha

Kenny
Member Avatar

Does anyone believe that AMC would've really fired Lucci if she didn't take the pay cut? I don't.

Meanwhile, I really hate it when people spell Deidre's name with an extra 'R' in it. So annoying! LoL

Mason

Kenny
Dec 2 2008, 10:44 PM
Does anyone believe that AMC would've really fired Lucci if she didn't take the pay cut? I don't.
Nope. Because, unlike some people, they're not THAT dumb.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Perez Hilton

Soaps Are In Trouble

Posted Image

The future of soap operas is looking like a slippery slope!!!

Susan Lucci and the rest of the All My Children crew have taken a dramatic reduction in pay.

This is after NBC's Days of Our Lives axed longtime cast members Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn, and cut everyone's pay by about 40% to keep the show on the air through 2010.

Hall's character had been on the show for 32 years!

Talk about no job security!

Soap audiences are down by a lot, averaging only about 2.6 million viewers a day. At one point there were as many as 12 different soaps on the air, but that number has fallen to 8.

No word on how much of a pay cut Susan is taking, butů.she's still probably way overpayed!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Dec 2 2008, 10:44 PM

Meanwhile, I really hate it when people spell Deidre's name with an extra 'R' in it. So annoying! LoL
Actually, I think they would. I don't her axing would impact ratings either. I think most soaps are at that point now where axing their vets won't make a difference unless you get rid of all or most of them.

All the networks are cutting back overall. I think it says alot that Lucci did DWTS after years of not rejecting offers. It was a fallback.

Drake and Dee being axed is going to cause a chain effect, like King hinted at last week. I think all the veterans will be less resistant to pay cuts now. People like Zimmer have no bargaining chip. The execs can just say "well, look what Days did." There is a precedent set now when there wasn't one before. Sure, shows like GH and AMC axed vets but not like this. If Days's ratings hold up or increase, other soaps will play hardball and won't care about the result because most of the ratings are in the toilet anyway. It's all about staying afloat. The ratings will never go up significantly.

These vets will scared stiff going into negotiations now because the shows will no longer be afraid to axe them if Days holds up well with this and I think that will be the case regardless. It seems Days always does something big and others follow. I see this as no different. Actors and actresses like Lucci, Geary, etc know they will have trouble finding work so, if the show plays hardball, they will have to cave in or be axed. It's desperation time and it's about survival.

I still think there is something to the fact that Drake and Dee weren't even negotiated with. That tells me Corday either had no choice and was forced or this is just a scare tactic to get everyone to take the cuts and then he will bring them back under their own cuts.

King
Member Avatar

I think Lucci would be unsafe if she didn't take the cut.

Obviously so did she. :lol: I guess you could say she took the cut for love of her soap...but yeah, right. Haha.

D&D's firing probably woke a lot of divas in the industry up.
Edited by King, Dec 3 2008, 01:54 AM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

King
Dec 3 2008, 01:53 AM
I think Lucci would be unsafe if she didn't take the cut.

Obviously so did she. :lol: I guess you could say she took the cut for love of her soap...but yeah, right. Haha.

D&D's firing probably woke a lot of divas in the industry up.
But D&D weren't even offered a pay cut, from what I've read. That's the part that really blisters my ass raw.

MTSRocks
Member Avatar

Oh boo-hoo.

King
Member Avatar

I think it was a big mix of a lot of things.

J&M have been through it all. They're a really hard couple to write for. All of their best possibility storylines involve a new character secretly playing an old character or a return of an old fav, which is expensive. Anything else, they've all been through, and it's boring so as much as it sucks...I can see why they did it to J&M.

Same thing with Erica Kane. Yeah, she is the heart of the show, but hasn't she been married like 12 times? Raped? Kidnapped? "Dead?" Her daughter is a lesbian. They just all run out of story. 30 Years is a long time! haha

MTSRocks
Member Avatar

I agree, time to write these oldies out. They've had their limelight!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply