Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Dena Higley blog 12/2
Topic Started: Dec 3 2008, 12:38 AM (5,485 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

"The freshmen fifteen"
December 2, 2008

Know what I've discovered? Sons who come home from college for the first time from a great distance get treated like movie stars. Sons who come home from college who have autism get treated like royalty.

I was throwing a birthday party for my youngest son, Helio, Friday night. He's so popular, the party place was bursting to the gills with both 7th grade girls and boys. I did my usual balancing act between trying to be a cool mom and a drill sergeant. But part of my mind wasn' t there at all. Connor was heading home that night from Florida. Would he find the right terminal at the giant Orlando Airport? Would he find the right gate? Would he even attempt to board the correct airline?

He's flown a lot with his family but kind of cruised through the whole airport thing and you have to TEACH Connor the vocabulary for everything. He won't pick it up by osmosis. So the language of air travel-- we just weren't sure he was fluent.

We'd tutored him, of course. We pointing things out the last couple of times we vacationed. But when I talked to him on the phone Thursday night, it seemed like all that preparation had gone somewhere in his brain that no one (including himself) could access.

So, after a very confusing and somewhat troubling phone conversation the night before, I just gave up and told him good luck and I would see him tomorrow night. (Maybe.)
Of course he did just fine. Proving once again he doesn't need me or his father to guide him through life EVERY step. There are still some things... but I have to become increasingly more picky about when I get in his soup and when I back off.

So he's home. And he is so happy. This is a guy who never really loved going to camp when he was little, or sleepovers . He liked family vacations but always breathed a sigh of relief when he came home. Home is safe for him. Home is comfort in a challenging and stressful world. He doesn't have to try so hard at home. He doesn't have to manage chaos at home. He quickly put his warm, comfy robe and slippers on and I fully expect he won't take them off until it's time for him to head back to college.

He's thin. Too thin. He says he doesn't like the cafeteria food at his college. He has a kitchen in his apartment and he knows how to cook a few things but he's certainly not getting three squares a day. As I recall, most first year kids put on weight. "The freshmen fifteen" we used to call it. Not Connor. He's not starving so I'm not going to freak out but maybe we'll learn to make a few more easy things in the kitchen before he heads back.

It's been a crazy fall with all the changes at work. As much Soap Opera on screen as off. Change is upon us. Nothing I can really do about it. So many new challenges in our business. There are meetings and memos and budgets and lists and numbers being crunched... and the leadership of the show is doing their best. No matter what you think of what's going on, you have to know that.

But the sands are still running through the hourglass. That's a very good thing. And my son is home. That is a very, very good thing.

http://www.daysofourlives.com/denasblog/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Angie79
Dec 3 2008, 12:38 AM
But the sands are still running through the hourglass.
Not for long, if you have anything to say about it.

How the hell does this woman not realize that this blog is supposed to be about DAYS, NOT her boring personal life? She can start her own website for the few poor souls who actually are interested in that!
Edited by Mason, Dec 3 2008, 12:41 AM.

Ellie

Thanks as always, Angie.

So do I have this correct, there is no concrete information about the show whatsoever in here?

Kenny
Member Avatar

So she thinks (See that everybody? SHE THINKS!) her son is a moron and she couldn't care less about the crisis at Days.

Lovely blog, Dena! :eyeroll:

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

Bitch, that's you Dudley Higgs, I don't give a fuck about your family. Can you not talk more about DAYS or do you even care?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Kenny
Dec 3 2008, 12:43 AM
So her son is a moron and she couldn't care less about the crisis at Days.
Like mother, like son.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Dec 3 2008, 12:40 AM
Thanks as always, Angie.

So do I have this correct, there is no concrete information about the show whatsoever in here?
LOL! I think you have correctly interpreted it. Unless you count "people are doing stuff and whatever happens is not my fault" as concrete.

Quote:

As much Soap Opera on screen as off.

If I even understand what she means . . . don't we wish.

Ellie

Paxton
Dec 3 2008, 12:44 AM
Ellie
Thanks as always, Angie.

LOL! I think you have correctly interpreted it. Unless you count "people are doing stuff and whatever happens is not my fault" as concrete.
No wait, I found it! There is something: "The leadership of the show is doing their best". (Nice grasp of basic grammar, Dena.)

Kenny
Member Avatar

Paxton
LMAO!

Ed Scott was fired for that hack. She's done plenty of damage, and it really makes me laugh that she would even think to suggest otherwise.

hops
Member Avatar

Paxton
Ellie
Thanks as always, Angie.

Quote:

If I even understand what she means . . . don't we wish.
I bet if they turned the camera's on the backstage happenings they would have a hit!

Mason
Member Avatar

If only the "change that's upon us" included a big fat pink slip with her name scribbled all over it.

Kenny
Member Avatar

When Dena returned to the writing team last winter, I knew that it spelled doom for the show... but there was no way I could've predicted the disaster known as "Dena's Blog."

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Why does she think ANYONE would care about this boring blog? And why does she have to make a special point to bring up the autism thing and how she treats her kid with autism differently? Is that even good parenting to make it a point to treat your kids with special needs differently and tell people that? I mean I know her blog is already awful storytelling... but whatever. Publicizing this stuff is just BAD NEWS.

And Dena if this is your best, your best ain't good enough. If it's Corday's best it ain't good enough.

Quit enabling each other's delusions already and just give up the ghost already. Sheesh.

Ellie

Mason
Dec 3 2008, 12:39 AM
How the hell does this woman not realize that this blog is supposed to be about DAYS, NOT her boring personal life? She can start her own website for the few poor souls who actually are interested in that!
I agree. She's not a celebrity like the actors. People are interested in the actors' lives, and they probably want to know about Peter Reckell's baby, or about how Jim Reynolds is doing health-wise, or even about James Scott's new puppy, lol. But Dena is not in that league, and people are reading her blog for one reason: to find out about the show. As Paxton said, a general "don't blame me" isn't really sufficient.

Kenny
Member Avatar

I just have to say that this mutual distaste we have for Higley is giving me warm tinglies inside! It's not often that everyone agrees these days, LoL.

*HUGS FOR ALL*

Mason
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 3 2008, 12:56 AM
Mason
Dec 3 2008, 12:39 AM
I agree. She's not a celebrity like the actors. People are interested in the actors' lives, and they probably want to know about Peter Reckell's baby, or about how Jim Reynolds is doing health-wise, or even about James Scott's new puppy, lol. But Dena is not in that league, and people are reading her blog for one reason: to find out about the show. As Paxton said, a general "don't blame me" isn't really sufficient.
It's sad, but I almost can't even blame Higley for having such an inflated ego. Look at all the shit she's gotten away with. Bitch probably thinks she's untouchable!

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I knew that this would get everyone going! :laugh:

Mason
Member Avatar

Kenny
Dec 3 2008, 12:58 AM
I just have to say that this mutual distaste we have for Higley is giving me warm tinglies inside! It's not often that everyone agrees these days, LoL.

*HUGS FOR ALL*
Well, if there's one thing Higley never fails to inspire, it's distaste!

deefanUBS

:blah: :blah: :blah:

Quote:

You wish! :roflol:

Quote:

Change is upon us.

Yeah, you're writing your star out of the show!

Quote:

Nothing I can really do about it.

You mean now that you've written the show so far into the ground that there's no coming back?!

Quote:

So many new challenges in our business. There are meetings and memos and budgets and lists and numbers being crunched...

Oh poor, poor you. Sorry, you get no pity from me!

Quote:

and the leadership of the show is doing their best. No matter what you think of what's going on, you have to know that.

A little late.

Quote:

But the sands are still running through the hourglass.

Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock

Kenny
Member Avatar

deefanUBS said it best!

Post of the day!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply