Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Dena Higley blog 12/2
Topic Started: Dec 3 2008, 12:38 AM (5,498 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Dec 3 2008, 01:24 AM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 3 2008, 01:20 AM
Not giving her a free pass (keep in mind, I like alot of what she has done on the show and feel her run has been marred by scandal, cuts, and the Corday). I'm not saying she would've done better but we will never know.
Other writers have had to deal with Corday and cuts too and they've put out stuff better than this. As for scandal, well, she's responsible for a great deal of that, so I have no sympathy. Scandal's kind of what happens when you steal someone's job and act as a scab on top of being a just plain crappy writer.
No writer has had to deal with a EP and CAST MEMBER re-writing shit behind their back. Maybe they had an EP doing that but a cast member? No way.

Add that on top of Corday and all the current cuts and writing team changes and you have a mess.

Hogan had to deal with just Corday and constant cast changes. That was bad enough and I still hate that his tenure was marred by that but Higley has had to deal with much more and, while I don't necessarily like her, I can sort of sympathize in that regard.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Actually, I'm not sure if she can do that.

Notice how Casiello never did until he was unemployed. None of us know what can and can't be said and if she's even being allowed to write what she wants here.

I also think this blog is nothing but NBC and Corday trying to drudge up support and good PR for the show and Higley. I don't think she wants any part of this. It's not like she exploited her life and kids before. She doesn't post that often either. I would not be surprised if they tell her what to write.
I might be wrong about this, but Tom Casiello never wrote an "official" blog for the show, correct? His was on his own (myspace) page. I can see then why he wouldn't be allowed to give out information. Also, he wasn't the head writer. When the actors do appearances, they are usually allowed to leak small spoilers about upcoming scenes, so I really can't see why Dena wouldn't be able to even discuss any aspect of the writing at all.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

LOL! Her blogs are as boring as her stories.

I can't believe that NBC/Corday are paying this woman to write a blog for them about her personal life. Talk about horrible financial mismanagement.

If she wants to write a persona blog, that's her choice. However, stop targeting it to DAYS fans.

And I highly doubt anyone is forcing her to do this blog.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 3 2008, 01:29 AM
No writer has had to deal with a EP and CAST MEMBER re-writing shit behind their back.
No other writer was so bad that their material had to be illegally re-written, LoL.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

daysfan
When it comes to her blog, here's my main problem, and I don't care whether its Dena's fault or the promoter's or whoever's:

It is promoted as "Dish with Dena", and about "getting scoop from Days Headwriter"...and when people say THAT, I am assuming that they mean about the show, not her life. Not to say she doesn't have a right to talk about her own personal life, BUT, if thats what this blog is for, it needs to be renamed. I think thats what gets me the most.

Because it feels like I see her blog all over the official Days sites, and the name and description is what gets me. Because IMO, this is not "dishing" or "getting the scoop". In a way it is...but about her personal life. It just shouldn't have such a misleading title.
Exactly.

That is what I mean. I don't mind the personal talk but they are marketing it all wrong. They are leading people to believe she will dish about the show when there is very little she can dish about because of circumstances. After what happened this summer, they should've closed her blog. It makes no sense because the show won't want backstage shit getting out there.

Mason
Member Avatar

Kenny
Dec 3 2008, 01:32 AM
PhoenixRising05
No writer has had to deal with a EP and CAST MEMBER re-writing shit behind their back.
No other writer was so bad that their material had to be illegally re-written, LoL.
And that, my friend, deserves one hell of a WORD.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 3 2008, 01:31 AM
PhoenixRising05

Notice how Casiello never did until he was unemployed. None of us know what can and can't be said and if she's even being allowed to write what she wants here.

I also think this blog is nothing but NBC and Corday trying to drudge up support and good PR for the show and Higley. I don't think she wants any part of this. It's not like she exploited her life and kids before. She doesn't post that often either. I would not be surprised if they tell her what to write.
I might be wrong about this, but Tom Casiello never wrote an "official" blog for the show, correct? His was on his own (myspace) page. I can see then why he wouldn't be allowed to give out information. Also, he wasn't the head writer. When the actors do appearances, they are usually allowed to leak small spoilers about upcoming scenes, so I really can't see why Dena wouldn't be able to even discuss any aspect of the writing at all.
Well, as you said Tom's blog was not official...just one he created, but if I remember right, didn't he create that after his time on Days ended and as the writers strike calmed down, or just before it did? H

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
PhoenixRising05
I don't care. No one deserves that, even Higley with the shit she's done.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Ed and said diva could've used other means. Instead, they took the low road. I lost all respect for him and his partner in crime after that, regardless of how noble they felt their cause was.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
I don't mind the personal talk but they are marketing it all wrong. They are leading people to believe she will dish about the show when there is very little she can dish about because of circumstances.
I so completely disagree with that.

There's plenty that she can dish about! Ellie gave a pretty good rundown of Days-related topics that she could blog about, just a few posts up.

Ellie

daysfan
When it comes to her blog, here's my main problem, and I don't care whether its Dena's fault or the promoter's or whoever's:

It is promoted as "Dish with Dena", and about "getting scoop from Days Headwriter"...and when people say THAT, I am assuming that they mean about the show, not her life. Not to say she doesn't have a right to talk about her own personal life, BUT, if thats what this blog is for, it needs to be renamed. I think thats what gets me the most.

Because it feels like I see her blog all over the official Days sites, and the name and description is what gets me. Because IMO, this is not "dishing" or "getting the scoop". In a way it is...but about her personal life. It just shouldn't have such a misleading title.
Excellent point. I completely agree. (I remember a few people said that as well when the first few "Dish with Dena" blog entries came out, and her kid's soccer game was the main topic.)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

It doesn't even have to be scoop. It could be ANYTHING DAYS related! But no, what do we get? Some lame ass stories about her kid learning to drive or some other such tedious shit.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 3 2008, 01:33 AM
Two wrongs don't make a right. Ed and said diva could've used other means. Instead, they took the low road.
Yes, they did... and you're correct in saying that two wrongs don't make a right. However, I can fully understand why one would feel compelled to hijack Higley's stories. I would've had a difficult time resisting the urge myself if I worked at Days.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

daysfan
Dec 3 2008, 01:33 AM
Ellie
Dec 3 2008, 01:31 AM
PhoenixRising05

Well, as you said Tom's blog was not official...just one he created, but if I remember right, didn't he create that after his time on Days ended and as the writers strike calmed down, or just before it did? H
It was after. He posted a sample breakdown I believe complete with notes.

Here is the problem and this is especially true after this summer's scandal. The show won't want backstage stuff getting out. They won't want spoilers getting out. Corday likes to interfere so there is no way he will let Higley post about her writing when there is a good chance he may have influenced it or it may not be something she was 100% behind. Also, Tom was part of the writing team so he actually wrote scripts, breakdowns, etc. Higley is the HW so I'm sure she doesn't have breakdowns and stuff lying around to post about or actually post. She works with Whitesell and I don't see the show wanting her to post details about how they arrived at a story, especially if it's not something she is 100% on board with or that Corday or someone else influenced.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

I just find it pathetic she can't find anything positive or interesting to say about a show she HW for. I know she has to talk all politically correct when it comes to Corday, that goes without saying.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Dec 3 2008, 01:34 AM
PhoenixRising05
I don't mind the personal talk but they are marketing it all wrong. They are leading people to believe she will dish about the show when there is very little she can dish about because of circumstances.
I so completely disagree with that.

There's plenty that she can dish about! Ellie gave a pretty good rundown of Days-related topics that she could blog about, just a few posts up.
I think it's fair to say she could discuss what has already happened and how excited she is about a story, scene, etc.

However, she has done that in the past. She did that in her last blog when she talked about the baby switch and how excited she was to be working with Whitesell.

I just think there is no way she can say anything in this entry with all the cuts and uncertainly. Corday shoots himself enough in the foot so whether he is telling what to say or she is actually behind this...neither wants to say something and then have it not happen because they cut someone and had to change gears and so on. Her last entry was different. There was no chaos. Now there is. She can't talk much about the show when she has no idea what may or may not happen.

I really do think that if she felt she could get another job or if she didn't have her family to think about, she would bolt. I really do. She was not happy about Drake and Dee and I don't think she is happy about many other things either.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Dec 3 2008, 01:41 AM.

Mason
Member Avatar

Kirk
Dec 3 2008, 01:40 AM
I just find it pathetic she can't find anything positive or interesting to say about a show she HW for.
And you know what it says to me? That she really doesn't give a good Goddamn.

Kenny
Member Avatar

*throttles Phoenix wildly*

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I'm already sick to my stomach. Please don't make it worse. :laugh:

Mason
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 3 2008, 01:40 AM
I really do think that if she felt she could get another job or if she didn't have her family to think about, she would bolt.
Well, I hear MacDonald's is always looking for a fry cook!

Jiggs
Member Avatar

daysfan
Dec 3 2008, 01:15 AM
Although Dena has never really discussed the show anyway, and I could be wrong here, but I honestly think she barely mentions the show just because she's not happy. Again I could be wrong, but its just a vibe I get.
Well, she sure knows how to make viewers unhappy.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply