Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Dena Higley blog 12/2
Topic Started: Dec 3 2008, 12:38 AM (5,520 Views)
hops
Member Avatar

e83talus
Dec 5 2008, 07:04 AM
zyona
Dec 5 2008, 12:08 AM
Does anyone know when her contract with the show ends?
Probably 2 years after the show is cancelled.
LOL!!!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Days4Life

It's very easy to mis-type things or mistakenly word things in such a way that the meaning comes across differently than we intend. I think most of us have done this a time or two. It's good that Kenny clarified what he meant, though. However, the worst offender in all this is Dena Higley for constantly putting her children in her blog, especially since she's so disliked. I read the article in People magazine, and her son is quoted as saying he doesn't even consider himself autistic any more and yet his mother continues to blog about him and use him to make herself more relatable and more likable--because, yes, that is what I think she's trying to accomplish. Her son has come a long way and has accomplished a lot; I think she should reward him by keeping him out of her "production" blog (which has very little to do with the production of the show).

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I agree. When I made my post, I figured Kenny didn't mean it like that. I just pointed it out in case he didn't notice so that he could change it to avoid these issues. I don't think Kenny would ever say things like that at all. I've been posting with him for awhile and, while we have our disagreements at times, he's always been respectful overall.

Maybe he should've edited the post but he did explain himself immediately once I pointed out his post so it's not really necessary. If people read through the thread, they would see that he explained himself more the once.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Kenny - kind of surprised that people are still ragging you for this. So what if you called her son a moron?
He is an autistic man who is enrolled in college and doing very well on his own...obviously even if you meant it, it is wrong.

Nobody has a problem calling a woman/mother (Dena) a fucking pyschotic hateful bitch, no talent, anti-christ hooker who sells her soul to the almighty KC, yet mention her thriving, talented, intelligent son a moron, and people go all noble and decent.
Am I missing something?

What is up with everyone lately? Can no one lighten up and give others the benefit of the doubt?

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

HJBJDJ
Dec 5 2008, 01:44 PM
I see that NOW you claim it was a mistype but somehow in your follow up comment to Pheonix who first took issue with you on this you said Nothing about a mis type. I actually didn't see anything about you saying it was a mistype until after Mesagirl took offense. And like mesagirl I too expected more from you.

Not true. Kenny first explained what he meant in his original post on PAGE 8 and Mesagirl didn't post anything about it until PAGE 10.

There was no reason to be so harsh. Everything was explained and settled.

marisol40

Quote:

It's very easy to mis-type things or mistakenly word things in such a way that the meaning comes across differently than we intend. I think most of us have done this a time or two. It's good that Kenny clarified what he meant, though. However, the worst offender in all this is Dena Higley for constantly putting her children in her blog, especially since she's so disliked. I read the article in People magazine, and her son is quoted as saying he doesn't even consider himself autistic any more and yet his mother continues to blog about him and use him to make herself more relatable and more likable--because, yes, that is what I think she's trying to accomplish. Her son has come a long way and has accomplished a lot; I think she should reward him by keeping him out of her "production" blog (which has very little to do with the production of the show).

Love this post and I agree a 100%. I actually feel bad for the guy, it must be hard to have such a talentless hack for a mother.

Mason
Member Avatar

How 'bout we all just stop acting all self-righteous and judgmental towards each other? That sounds good to me.

Kenny, you shouldn't apologize. You know what you meant, and that's all that matters.
Edited by Mason, Dec 5 2008, 08:00 PM.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

You know what contrary to what Kenny says your not free to rake him over the coals, he mistyped in his original post and had apologized for that more then once. It's easier to get an apology through when your speaking because it can be done in the moment, but on these message boards I know we've all had times where we didn't check our posts before we've pressed the enter button and ended up embarrassed about what we've said later.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who uses the boards as an escape on occasion. I freely admit that there have been times that I've posted while my mind was on other things, and ended up going back and reading older posts and wondering what the heck I was really thinking about at the time.

Next time someone has THAT much of a problem with what someone has typed try contacting the person by PM first to make sure they meant what you think they did before you try to blast them in the open.

CodeBlazeNuke
Member Avatar

it just sad she thinks that poeple are got yo eat up her shity blog.. :frustration:

just let her get this :shithitfan:

ges
Member Avatar

marisol40
Dec 5 2008, 05:33 PM
Quote:

Love this post and I agree a 100%. I actually feel bad for the guy, it must be hard to have such a talentless hack for a mother.
ITA and I don't think Kenny needs to apologize. I knew what he was saying. Next thing you know she'll be on my space and violate his personal life on there as well. The kid is in college. The last thing any college kids want is for their stupid mother to be blogging about their lives. STFU Dena. And Kenny I love to read your posts. :rockon:

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

King
Dec 3 2008, 01:49 AM
All of the actor's and actress' who are on DAYS and have blogs talk about their personal lives for the majority of their entries.

Everyone comes down hard on Higley for doing it when Melvin and Sweeney do exactly the same thing. The last paragraph is more times than not the only DAYS-related info.
I hope I'm tapping into how people are feeling about writers' blogs versus actors' blogs with this: (at least from my perspective:)

I think people tend to be more interested in actors' personal lives than the writers' because the actors are out there. We see them. We identify with them and often, people see them more as the characters than the actors themselves. We care about them because THEY are the ones who come into our living room on a daily (weekly, whatever) basis. They're the ones who emote onscreen. They're real to us. Having actors blog about their own families and their characters gives us more perspective about the faces we see on a regular basis.

The writer works the background to put together what we see on screen. In essence, they are faceless. We don't identify with them because we don't see them. We consider them the ones who put everything together. As a result, I think more fans want to hear the behind the scenes stuff from them. Since we don't see them and haven't learned to care about them in a human capacity, we don't want to hear about their personal lives. Our caring and love goes towards the faces we see.

Does that make any sense? :huh1: :lol:

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ellie
Dec 3 2008, 01:55 AM
brimike
Dec 3 2008, 01:50 AM
I have to say this, and this is coming from someone who is SO NOT a Dena fan. AT ALL. (Seriously - you have no idea how much I'm not)

But I will say this - however badly she's doing it, she's at least writing something she believes is an effort at reaching out to the fans in this time of insanity. YOU don't think it's worth anything, and *I* don't think it's worth anything. But man, she really believes that in some way, she's bridging the gap. It's not like she's writing this to piss anybody off. She really believes it's doing some kind of good, in some way, in some small section of the fandom.

Still not saying I like it, but I gotta at least point that out.

Can't believe I just typed that. LOL!
ROFL I'm sure it was an effort to type that! But the thing is, I'm just incredulous that she still thinks she's 'bridging the gap' after these blog entries have been continuously criticized. In other words, I might agree with you regarding her first few entries... but does she really still think these are going over well with the fans? Though perhaps she does; I think she's completely out of touch with the viewership regarding what they want in stories, so it might makes sense that she's out of touch regarding what they want in blogs as well.
Ellie, we don't agree on much, but I'll have to agree with you on this one. They should be gauging the comments (not Terry's of course! :D ) and realize that the people want to hear about the show.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Days4Life
Dec 5 2008, 04:45 PM
If I was her son, I'd ream her a new one for using me in that blog as the star all the time, then disown her and change my name. :D

Days4Life

ladyofthelake
Dec 6 2008, 11:20 AM
King
Dec 3 2008, 01:49 AM
All of the actor's and actress' who are on DAYS and have blogs talk about their personal lives for the majority of their entries.

Everyone comes down hard on Higley for doing it when Melvin and Sweeney do exactly the same thing. The last paragraph is more times than not the only DAYS-related info.
I hope I'm tapping into how people are feeling about writers' blogs versus actors' blogs with this: (at least from my perspective:)

I think people tend to be more interested in actors' personal lives than the writers' because the actors are out there. We see them. We identify with them and often, people see them more as the characters than the actors themselves. We care about them because THEY are the ones who come into our living room on a daily (weekly, whatever) basis. They're the ones who emote onscreen. They're real to us. Having actors blog about their own families and their characters gives us more perspective about the faces we see on a regular basis.

The writer works the background to put together what we see on screen. In essence, they are faceless. We don't identify with them because we don't see them. We consider them the ones who put everything together. As a result, I think more fans want to hear the behind the scenes stuff from them. Since we don't see them and haven't learned to care about them in a human capacity, we don't want to hear about their personal lives. Our caring and love goes towards the faces we see.

Does that make any sense? :huh1: :lol:
You're exactly right. We're used to seeing the actors on our screens and feel that in a very small way we know Rachel Melvin and Ali Sweeney and the other actors who blog. However, Dena is kind of an invisible person so we don't feel any connection to her; therefore, most of us aren't interested in her life. Also, I think when you drag your children's personal lives into your public blog, you've crossed a line. It's one thing for Ali to report on some cute thing Ben says; it's quite another to tell the world you don't think your adult son can find his way through an airport. My son would disown me if I did that!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I can honestly see her being the over-protective mother, for personal reasons. However, the young man is obviously trying to make it on his own and she needs to respect that. And her teenage kids? I hope they're writing their own blogs about how their mother is smothering them.
Personally, I wouldn't mind a little mix of "this is what went on with this storyline" and "this is what's going on with my life. My son is coming home, my daughter and younger son are doing well", yada, yada, in passing. Just enough to humanize her without humiliating her poor family.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

ladyofthelake
I think you have an excellent point.

Part of it for me is that it's a Production Blog. I'm not navigating to a personal website, it's not "At Home with Higley." Given the title and the location of the blogs, I expect them all to be focused on Days. Since it's connected to the network, I expect them to be selling the show.

From my perspective, actors sell their products by selling themselves, so if you want to tell a story about a cute little puppy- great. I get that. You're appealing to your fans by revealing something personal about yourself. It's the same thing you would do on a talk show or a magazine interview.

I think it's ridiculous for a writer to try and do the same thing. I don't like writers because I like or relate to them as people; I like ones with good ideas. Talk to me about those.

Beyond that, whether you're an actor or a writer out their pimping yourself by revealing personal info, there's a basic standard you need to meet. You have to know your audience well enough to know what they want to hear, you have to time your pimping right, and you have to be entertaining while you do it or the whole thing is sloppy propaganda. You also have to make sure that your image is coherent- if you're a bitch in all the tabloids, don't try to play it sweet in a blog. It comes off fake.

Higley totally violated all of that.

If you're going to try to manipulate me into liking you, give me a little credit, put some fucking effort into it.

Compare hers with James Scott's. He wrote a coherent little thing about a cute puppy he got and asked for suggestions about a name. It was an appropriate story, it fit with his public image, and since he's not the center of the controversy right now it didn't come off like he was trying to distract us from all the bad.

Higley threw up some awkward little story that I can't really relate to. I don't fully understand what she wants me to think of her based on that entry, and I'm not sure why she's telling me that story at all. In fact, I'm a little turned off that she seems to be selling herself as a writer using her son's autism. At least Jenny McCarthy has connected herself to a cause, so when she talks about her son there's a context for it.

It would have been more appropriate to say something like "My son came home from college, the family is together and I love the holidays..."

But even then, she's the center of a major shit-storm. The WGA stuff, Ed Scott & The Diva, and the recent firings...and she's going to choose now to step out and tell me a story? Either she's ignorant of what the audience wants to hear from her or she's stupid- neither quality is endearing.

Amateurish in her attempt, inappropriate in tone and timing, I think she deserves to get ripped to shreds for this.

And, if Deidre Hall went and did the same thing, I'd have the same reaction.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

px780
Dec 6 2008, 05:49 PM
ladyofthelake
I think you have an excellent point.

Part of it for me is that it's a Production Blog. I'm not navigating to a personal website, it's not "At Home with Higley." Given the title and the location of the blogs, I expect them all to be focused on Days. Since it's connected to the network, I expect them to be selling the show.

From my perspective, actors sell their products by selling themselves, so if you want to tell a story about a cute little puppy- great. I get that. You're appealing to your fans by revealing something personal about yourself. It's the same thing you would do on a talk show or a magazine interview.

I think it's ridiculous for a writer to try and do the same thing. I don't like writers because I like or relate to them as people; I like ones with good ideas. Talk to me about those.

Beyond that, whether you're an actor or a writer out their pimping yourself by revealing personal info, there's a basic standard you need to meet. You have to know your audience well enough to know what they want to hear, you have to time your pimping right, and you have to be entertaining while you do it or the whole thing is sloppy propaganda. You also have to make sure that your image is coherent- if you're a bitch in all the tabloids, don't try to play it sweet in a blog. It comes off fake.

Higley totally violated all of that.

If you're going to try to manipulate me into liking you, give me a little credit, put some fucking effort into it.

Compare hers with James Scott's. He wrote a coherent little thing about a cute puppy he got and asked for suggestions about a name. It was an appropriate story, it fit with his public image, and since he's not the center of the controversy right now it didn't come off like he was trying to distract us from all the bad.

Higley threw up some awkward little story that I can't really relate to. I don't fully understand what she wants me to think of her based on that entry, and I'm not sure why she's telling me that story at all. In fact, I'm a little turned off that she seems to be selling herself as a writer using her son's autism. At least Jenny McCarthy has connected herself to a cause, so when she talks about her son there's a context for it.

It would have been more appropriate to say something like "My son came home from college, the family is together and I love the holidays..."

But even then, she's the center of a major shit-storm. The WGA stuff, Ed Scott & The Diva, and the recent firings...and she's going to choose now to step out and tell me a story? Either she's ignorant of what the audience wants to hear from her or she's stupid- neither quality is endearing.

Amateurish in her attempt, inappropriate in tone and timing, I think she deserves to get ripped to shreds for this.

And, if Deidre Hall went and did the same thing, I'd have the same reaction.
:hail: :hail: :applause: :applause:
I'm supposed to not just use emoticons in a post, so YAY for you! You said a lot of good stuff.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Here is the problem IMO and I think it's three-fold:

First off, people hate Higley and they have valid reason to. Just like Guza, Kriezman, etc. Therefore, people are already against her even without the content of her blog. If this were a blog about Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, or Ron Carlivati...most would be enjoying it regardless of content. That isn't to say that people would complain if the show wasn't talked about but the backlash would not be like this. People already feel like they know enough about her through her writing and they dislike her because of it and other things so this idea is stupid to begin with.

Another thing...we don't even know her if this is truly her. For all we know, Corday or an NBC exec is sitting right there or she is being told to use this story or that story to make herself look good. I don't think this is Dena's idea. I don't think she of all people would start one of these. The issue, though, is that we never feel like we are getting to know her because you can't trust that this is her. That doesn't help for those who are interested.

Lastly, people view this as a PR ploy or way to gain her sympathy. I can't blame them. Just notice when she posts. her blog only seems to be updated around crisis time or when something is about to change (EP, cast cuts, backstage scandal, etc). In other words, you don't feel like she is doing this for the right reasons and that hurts it. It's too artificial.

I, personally, think this idea should've been a distant memory after the summer. She can't talk about the show without opening up a can of worms with cast, crew, etc since we all know people influence things backstage at times (Corday, Tomlin, actors, etc) and some do it more then others so it's just too risky to put anything out there. She can, however, talk about an actor's work or how well a story is doing or something. She should just talk about stuff that has aired without going into the backstage details. Just say "so and so is doing a good job" or "this story is really great to write" or whatever. There are things to write about but I think it's not at all what people are asking of her. i mean, there is a reason why EMPLOYED writers don't do these things.

I do appreciate the idea to open communication but it's not working and they should just can it.

Mason
Member Avatar

And can Higley altogether, while they're at it.

renaissancegirl

Once again, I believe we need to send Ms. Higley a trophy with the enscription "Year's most erroneous writer of a blog. Oh, and a soap opera on the side"

I know people are saying that her blog is no different than the ones James/Ali/whoever will post, but are they EVER with this much unecessary detail? James posts a few sentences about his new doggie. Ali probably posts a few comments about the biggest loser, or something. Peter doesn't post on any regular blog, and Thaao blogs briefly about WORK, and his travels. You know, out of the ordinary stuff, not day-to-day-life.
Really, reading this blog felt like Higley is writing a whole other sopa opera. And the ego-sheeesh! Wow "My son is so popular, he had all these kids at our house, blah blah blah." Newsflash: Most kids have BIRTHDAY PARTIES EVERY YEAR- SHOCKER! If this is supposed to generate sympathy, it's not working for me. Everyone has problems like this, everyone is stressed and worried sick about their kids, and mostly everyone WORKS. And it's because of her work NOT her life, that she has this blog. If she wants to blog about life, someone make her a blogspot. This blog is about WORK- I want to hear about any work that's actually being done, first off, or funny things that happen, backstage stuff, etc. She can mention the kids in passing, but having 99% of the blog about what every parents worries about is ridiculous. I'm not saying she can't blog about her kids- just not on her WORK BLOG.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply