Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD/SOW tidbits on JKJ, Blake Berris
Topic Started: Dec 3 2008, 11:26 AM (1,560 Views)
Ellie

- SOD says JKJ will be staying on Days, and quotes a source that "Jay had a bad day on set... he was just angry that day and cleaned out his dressing room. He came back and he had calmed down and it sounds like he wants to stay." SOD says that Wes Ramsey was at the top of the recasting list.

- SOW says that JKJ "has had a change of heart and re-signed with the show" and that his contract is for a "substantial time period". SOW says Dylan Bruce, Jon Prescott, Josh Duhon and Wes Ramsey "were all called in for emergency recast purposes".

- SOW says that Blake Berris "is the next casualty in the Salem cast slashing".
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting Ellie. :)

I'm thrilled that JKJ is staying. I wonder if his "change of heart" came after he saw how fast they were willing to replace him?

Days4Life

I'm glad JKJ is staying. He's a familiar face, and the show needs that right now; a recast would have been a very bad move for the show considering all the upheaval going on. If they are going to focus on the younger cast, we at least need to know and care for the people in the story. It's too bad about Blake Berris. He really is very talented and was a unique, wonderful character at one time. I hope he finds other work soon.

fenderbabe
Member Avatar

I'm glad JKJ is staying for my own JKJ-Philip selfish needs.

By SOD referring to BB as being a victim of getting slashed, that means he was fired and didn't just ask to leave, doesn't it? If so...I can't even...ugh..

Sariah
Member Avatar

I wonder what made Jay have a bad day - if it was real life/backstage stuff or storyline stuff.

I'm glad that he'll continue to have a job, but I'm not too happy about him continuing story-wise in his current direction.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Sariah
Dec 3 2008, 12:17 PM
I'm glad that he'll continue to have a job, but I'm not too happy about him continuing story-wise in his current direction.
Yep; it's the definition of a "mixed blessing" for me. Melanie doesn't look like she's getting out of his life anytime soon, from what I can tell, and turning Philip into Austin will ruin my love for him.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

fenderbabe
Dec 3 2008, 11:48 AM
I'm glad JKJ is staying for my own JKJ-Philip selfish needs.

By SOD referring to BB as being a victim of getting slashed, that means he was fired and didn't just ask to leave, doesn't it? If so...I can't even...ugh..
I know. I'm still angry about the way they are sending him out. "Take heart, Nick fans" my ass.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Yay! They finally mentioned a new contract for JKJ. Thanks Ellie!

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Dec 3 2008, 11:26 AM
SOW says Dylan Bruce, Jon Prescott, Josh Duhon and Wes Ramsey "were all called in for emergency recast purposes".

For some reason this didn't sink in the first time, but the phrase "emergency recast purposes" just cracks me up. I guess when the show is on life support, the term "emergency" does naturally come to mind.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Thank God we finally get word about a new contract. I'm so glad Johnson's leaving.

I am upset Berris is going, but Higley can't write Nick the way he should be written, so I would rather he leave then be destroyed.

Mason

DrewHamilton
Dec 3 2008, 02:35 PM
I am upset Berris is going, but Higley can't write Nick the way he should be written, so I would rather he leave then be destroyed.
Too late, I'm afraid.
Edited by Mason, Dec 3 2008, 02:37 PM.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

How exactly does letting someone go during their first contract help with the budget? They clearly are going to cast new characters. Nick's story arc has been interesting to watch, and his acting has been wonderful. It's sad to lose him and a Horton as well.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 3 2008, 02:37 PM
DrewHamilton
Too late, I'm afraid.
No. He hasn't been destroyed because they gave him an out with the pill addiction. However, once Nick starts acting his normal self again, I don't trust Higley to write him correctly, the way he was meant to be written thanks to Hogan. Nick is a unique character that can only be written under the right pen. He isn't your everyday soap hero, and that's how most writers would rather write him. So by writing him out now, Higley isn't going to ruin him, while he's in his right frame of mind.

Mason

Sorry, but I'm not buying the flimsy 'pills made Nick a murderer' excuse.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

goldylicious
Dec 3 2008, 02:40 PM
How exactly does letting someone go during their first contract help with the budget? They clearly are going to cast new characters. Nick's story arc has been interesting to watch, and his acting has been wonderful. It's sad to lose him and a Horton as well.
Nick's not a character Higley likes to write for. I'm surprised he's lasted this long. Berris probably had one of those contracts where every 13 weeks, he could be released. That must be what happened. And since Higley would rather continue writing about her generic soap heroes being there for their women, something Nick isn't, she's going to get rid of him. It's an awful lot easier to write for someone like Max than Nick.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 3 2008, 02:51 PM
Sorry, but I'm not buying the flimsy 'pills made Nick a murderer' excuse.
But it is what it is. It's logical. It's lame, sure. But it's logical. His character hasn't been destroyed. He has an out.

Ellie

DrewHamilton
Dec 3 2008, 02:52 PM
It's an awful lot easier to write for someone like Max than Nick.
I don't disagree with that, but my issue is with the fact that Higley is the problem, not any of these talented actors. Since Higley's writing skills don't seem to include complex characters, she should be the one leaving.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 3 2008, 02:55 PM
I don't disagree with that, but my issue is with the fact that Higley is the problem, not any of these talented actors. Since Higley's writing skills don't seem to include complex characters, she should be the one leaving.
I agree. But could this show handle another head writing change? I don't know. Aside from a few things, I am enjoying DAYS again, and I never thought I would say that while Higley was writing. I think this has a lot to do with Tomlin and Whitesell's influence in Higley's stories, but I am enjoying the show again.

If getting rid of her weak spots (John and Marlena, Nick, etc.) means that we'll have room for stories she can actually write well (Nicole's fake pregnancy so far, Abe and Lexie's story, Kate's cancer, etc.) then I'm happy.

Ellie

DrewHamilton
Dec 3 2008, 03:00 PM
I agree. But could this show handle another head writing change? I don't know. Aside from a few things, I am enjoying DAYS again, and I never thought I would say that while Higley was writing. I think this has a lot to do with Tomlin and Whitesell's influence in Higley's stories, but I am enjoying the show again.

If getting rid of her weak spots (John and Marlena, Nick, etc.) means that we'll have room for stories she can actually write well (Nicole's fake pregnancy so far, Abe and Lexie's story, Kate's cancer, etc.) then I'm happy.
I think they could handle a writing change, but also, I disagree about the stories you're saying are written well. I really don't think any of Higley's stories are written well at this point. I think the autism story is boring and not written correctly for a soap, I think Nicole's fake pregnancy had no buildup at all and shifts gears too quickly, and I think Kate/Dan makes no sense, given that Dan seems to have his eye on any woman in Salem who has been unattached for five minutes. But if you're saying that a writer should be given the chance to develop the stories he/she does well, I understand that point, though I personally don't think it can apply to Higley. In addition, talented writers in the past have had many stories going at the same time, though it doesn't surprise me that Higley isn't really capable of doing this well.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

DrewHamilton
Dec 3 2008, 02:50 PM
Mason
Dec 3 2008, 02:37 PM
DrewHamilton
Too late, I'm afraid.
No. He hasn't been destroyed because they gave him an out with the pill addiction. However, once Nick starts acting his normal self again, I don't trust Higley to write him correctly, the way he was meant to be written thanks to Hogan. Nick is a unique character that can only be written under the right pen. He isn't your everyday soap hero, and that's how most writers would rather write him. So by writing him out now, Higley isn't going to ruin him, while he's in his right frame of mind.
No they aren't using the "out" they gave him. They are just sending him out the door...in a cloud of scandal forever to be remembered as "the geek who went nuts for the redhead."

And I do think before they decided to go this way, Dena dida fairly good job with Nick. She wasn't as good as Hogan was when he was really in the mood to write for him, but the early France stuff with Nick/Melanie and early on in the Nick triangle with Chelsea was really well done.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply