Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: Rafe stabbed, Sami in danger!
Topic Started: Dec 3 2008, 11:42 AM (6,421 Views)
Tammy
Member Avatar

Personally I always thought that Sami and Nicole made a better pairing then either EJ & Sami or EJ & Nicole.... but that is just me :P

GO SOLE :rockon:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cjknick
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Dec 6 2008, 01:20 PM
Ah, the old Ejami/Lumi debates, only with a new name.......in a few months, will it even MATTER??
ITA this is the lumi vs ejami be it is now a Ejole vs EJami vs Safe debate. Rafe has now replaced Lucas the two characters Sami and EJ are at the center of this debate of course but Nicole is the star. She has taken over this storyline everyone else are mere players in her story.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

cjknick
Dec 6 2008, 02:53 PM
but Nicole is the star. She has taken over this storyline everyone else are mere players in her story.
Like everyone was during the Vendetta story (the story that should have been about Stefano, Roman, John and Marlena) for EJ and Sami you mean?

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

cjknick
ladyofthelake
Ah, the old Ejami/Lumi debates, only with a new name.......in a few months, will it even MATTER??
ITA this is the lumi vs ejami be it is now a Ejole vs EJami vs Safe debate. Rafe has now replaced Lucas the two characters Sami and EJ are at the center of this debate of course but Nicole is the star. She has taken over this storyline everyone else are mere players in her story.
Oh, please. Check Jason47's site for stats on Sami's appearances.

Allison Sweeney is one step ahead of Arianne Zucker, and I'm willing to bet if Allison hadn't been "cut back" because of her pregnancy, she'd be on more.

Check out the 2007 rankings.

Do you see why people are tired of Sami? Maybe not. :huh:

Plus, like I mentioned earlier, I rarely see anyone complaining about Ari's acting. However, even last year, I was reading comments by more and more people getting a little tired of Allison's acting and Sami basically being redundant.

And, I even noted YOU were one who, not too long ago, was complimenting Arianne on her acting and what was going on with Nicole. Why the sudden turnaround? It's as bad as the whiplash in the writing?

Oh, well.......c'est la vie.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Sindacco
Dec 6 2008, 02:59 PM
cjknick
but Nicole is the star. She has taken over this storyline everyone else are mere players in her story.
Like everyone was during the Vendetta story (the story that should have been about Stefano, Roman, John and Marlena) for EJ and Sami you mean?
Imagine, a DiMera vendetta story that should have centered around the DiMeras and Roman, the first antagonist for Stefano. Go figure.
Edited by ladyofthelake, Dec 6 2008, 03:21 PM.

ges
Member Avatar

Sammi is just reciting the crappy writing that Hackley has written just like the other actors. She is acting like a whiny baby because that is how she is being written. However, at the end of the day who cares. Higley has sucked the life out of the show for me.

cjknick
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Dec 6 2008, 02:59 PM
cjknick
No not really if the vendetta storyline was told right EJ and Sami should have been at the center of that story with Marlena and Stefano being equally a huge part of it and perhaps John too. But Marlena and Stefano never really got to full out war like they should have .... When Marlena went to Stefano's after John's funeral that was an Amazing scene she should have gone all KILL BILL on him and what did we get Stefano in a Coma (how lame). So many missed opportunities ... But from what I have read Hogan was told he could not use the big four as much because of budget and as a result we get EJ/Sami overload. As far as Nicole being the star of the current s/l - she is the only one being written well with break out scenes. She even stole the scene with Stefano the other day - the only problem with being the star and having other characters weakened and seem as if they are supporting roles is you become the target. Last year it was the Sami show ... this year it is the Nicole show ... it is what it is!

cjknick
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Dec 6 2008, 03:20 PM
cjknick
ladyofthelake
Oh, please. Check Jason47's site for stats on Sami's appearances.

Allison Sweeney is one step ahead of Arianne Zucker, and I'm willing to bet if Allison hadn't been "cut back" because of her pregnancy, she'd be on more.

Check out the 2007 rankings.

Do you see why people are tired of Sami? Maybe not. :huh:

Plus, like I mentioned earlier, I rarely see anyone complaining about Ari's acting. However, even last year, I was reading comments by more and more people getting a little tired of Allison's acting and Sami basically being redundant.

And, I even noted YOU were one who, not too long ago, was complimenting Arianne on her acting and what was going on with Nicole. Why the sudden turnaround? It's as bad as the whiplash in the writing?

Oh, well.......c'est la vie.
I still think Ari is doing great!

I just think that you should expect people to complain about it being the Nicole show because she is getting the best material right now just like Sami was getting dumped on last year for it being the Sami show.

Alligato
Member Avatar

The difference is that Sami was not getting the best material when it "was" the Sami show. All she did was cry or bitch...every show! It was so hard to tune her out.

I guess I can't complain that it is the Nicole show because Nicole is acting sassy one day, crying the next, flirting the next, etc. It's being varied and I still find her entertaining. She isn't overbearing to me.

And even though she MAY not be on as much, it still feels like the Sami show because all Sami is still doing is crying/yelling...same stuff for the past few years.

And I don't buy that this is Higley's fault. Obviously, AS wanted this written in for whatever reason, so now that it is in and it sucks, it's not entirely Higley's doing. What can you do with a pregnant woman who doesn't want to tell the father and still make it interesting?? I almost wish they would have had Lucas pretend to be the father instead of bringing in Rafe.

cjknick
Member Avatar

Alligato
Dec 6 2008, 04:43 PM
The difference is that Sami was not getting the best material when it "was" the Sami show. All she did was cry or bitch...every show! It was so hard to tune her out.

I guess I can't complain that it is the Nicole show because Nicole is acting sassy one day, crying the next, flirting the next, etc. It's being varied and I still find her entertaining. She isn't overbearing to me.

And even though she MAY not be on as much, it still feels like the Sami show because all Sami is still doing is crying/yelling...same stuff for the past few years.

And I don't buy that this is Higley's fault. Obviously, AS wanted this written in for whatever reason, so now that it is in and it sucks, it's not entirely Higley's doing. What can you do with a pregnant woman who doesn't want to tell the father and still make it interesting?? I almost wish they would have had Lucas pretend to be the father instead of bringing in Rafe.
It was very clear that Sami is the character that Hogan decided to write for then he was fired and Higley took over and Higley chose to write good material for Nicole .... New writer's want to put their own stamp on the material and it is not unusual for the new writer to go in totally different direction when they can. The problem with Days in the past three/four years they have three different HW plus they have interim writer's between Jer and Hogan and scab writer's between Hogan and Higley .... Plus they have had Three associate producers too..Inconsistency all over the place!

cjknick
Member Avatar

Alligato
The difference is that Sami was not getting the best material when it "was" the Sami show. All she did was cry or bitch...every show! It was so hard to tune her out.<br /><br />I guess I can't complain that it is the Nicole show because Nicole is acting sassy one day, crying the next, flirting the next, etc. It's being varied and I still find her entertaining. She isn't overbearing to me. <br /><br />And even though she MAY not be on as much, it still feels like the Sami show because all Sami is still doing is crying/yelling...same stuff for the past few years. <br /><br />And I don't buy that this is Higley's fault. Obviously, AS wanted this written in for whatever reason, so now that it is in and it sucks, it's not entirely Higley's doing. What can you do with a pregnant woman who doesn't want to tell the father and still make it interesting?? I almost wish they would have had Lucas pretend to be the father instead of bringing in Rafe.
It was very clear that Sami is the character that Hogan decided to write for then he was fired and Higley took over and Higley chose to write good material for Nicole .... New writer's want to put their own stamp on the material and it is not unusual for the new writer to go in totally different direction when they can. The problem with Days in the past three/four years they have three different HW plus they have interim writer's between Jer and Hogan and scab writer's between Hogan and Higley .... Plus they have had Three associate producers too..Inconsistency all over the place!

Mason
Member Avatar

There was no scab writer between Hogan and Higley. The scab writer was Higley, LoL.

six
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Dec 6 2008, 01:38 PM
Mason
Dec 5 2008, 03:07 PM
six
Dec 5 2008, 01:44 PM
And if you're 90% of the rest of the fans here, Sami suffers the brunt. There were countless posts about how Sami should have a miscarriage, or hoping she'd have a long rest during AS's maternity leave, or saying she's whiny and self centered.
Can you blame us? We've had to suffer through Sami's obnoxious whining and crying being front and center for almost two years now.
Mason, you're batting 1000 in this thread.

I've noticed it on other boards, too. Many Days posters (INCLUDING some former EJami fans) are sick of Sami. Based on what I noticed, quite a few Ejami fans were already getting a little worn BEFORE Nicole ever came on the scene. The whole writing and glitterizing and personality changes for both Sami and EJ to force them to fit a mold made people tired. Then, you double that with Santeen (actually, I enjoyed them more than Ejami), and it was too much.
EJole, for a lot of people, is refreshing. Of course, it's in the process of getting ruined, too, so I guess anti-Nicole folks can rejoice in that. The thing is, quite a few people JUST DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ASS about Ejami anymore. They're burned out. So, Ejole sinks. If they go back to Ejami, I suspect there will only be a clustered few who hang on just cause they want their couple, regardless. So, all the stammering and stuttering and spitting and saying this is the way it was meant to be ain't gonna mean jack shit if most people JUST DON'T CARE. Burn out. When a ship has sailed, let the friggin' thing sail.

How is this any different than the ejami fans saying ejami would save the show? The thing is, there's just no way of knowing what the majority of the fans will and won't accept until it's on screen. The ejami ship has sailed- for you, and for some of the people on what ever other boards you go on. Every board has its own culture where different storylines/characters are more/less accepted than others. Here, I see a lot of praise for Theo's story, for example, and criticism for ejami. On other places, it's the exact opposite. Most posters don't want to be the one person disagreeing with the mob, so to speak.

I absolutely believe Highley and the other writers need to take the blame for what's happened to the characters. It'd be different if the show was solid except the safe house storyline.

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

For a couple who aren't together they sure feel the need to break up........a lot.

I don't think any one couple/character can save any show.

The overall writing has to be good to save a show.
Edited by SpriteEyes, Dec 6 2008, 06:25 PM.

ilovemydays

cjknick
Dec 6 2008, 06:05 PM
Alligato
The difference is that Sami was not getting the best material when it "was" the Sami show. All she did was cry or bitch...every show! It was so hard to tune her out.<br /><br />I guess I can't complain that it is the Nicole show because Nicole is acting sassy one day, crying the next, flirting the next, etc. It's being varied and I still find her entertaining. She isn't overbearing to me. <br /><br />And even though she MAY not be on as much, it still feels like the Sami show because all Sami is still doing is crying/yelling...same stuff for the past few years. <br /><br />And I don't buy that this is Higley's fault. Obviously, AS wanted this written in for whatever reason, so now that it is in and it sucks, it's not entirely Higley's doing. What can you do with a pregnant woman who doesn't want to tell the father and still make it interesting?? I almost wish they would have had Lucas pretend to be the father instead of bringing in Rafe.

OK, look. I'm not the poster to bash actors but the simple fact of the matter is that the problem with Sami isn't that Alison is given material of a lesser quality than Ari, the problem is that Alison fails to deliver much of what she is given. Take the other day, Sami was supposed to be sad about missing her family over the holidays. Did I feel sorry for her? Nope. Why? Because it was the same huff-puff performance that Alison ALWAYS does when Sami is crying. It simply did not meet its mark. When Nicole cries I believe it because Arianne makes me feel it.

IMO Sami's most memorable scenes are scenes when Alison doesn't have to stretch, Rafe, Hilda and Rolf. Alison simply lacks range. Its too bad really I believe Ali is a hard worker and maybe if she took some time off and honed her craft she might improve but to blame the travesty that is Sami solely on bad writing does a disservice to the all of other actors on the show that would love to have had the opportunities that Alison has been given.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

ilovemydays
Dec 6 2008, 06:25 PM
cjknick
Alligato

OK, look. I'm not the poster to bash actors but the simple fact of the matter is that the problem with Sami isn't that Alison is given material of a lesser quality than Ari, the problem is that Alison fails to deliver much of what she is given. Take the other day, Sami was supposed to be sad about missing her family over the holidays. Did I feel sorry for her? Nope. Why? Because it was the same huff-puff performance that Alison ALWAYS does when Sami is crying. It simply did not meet its mark. When Nicole cries I believe it because Arianne makes me feel it.

IMO Sami's most memorable scenes are scenes when Alison doesn't have to stretch, Rafe, Hilda and Rolf. Alison simply lacks range. Its too bad really I believe Ali is a hard worker and maybe if she took some time off and honed her craft she might improve but to blame the travesty that is Sami solely on bad writing does a disservice to the all of other actors on the show that would love to have had the opportunities that Alison has been given.

You are one smart cookie. The girl is simply overworked. It makes perfect sense. She's not Superwoman, and personally, I thought she was crazy to try to keep on two jobs, be pregnant, make personal appearances, AND take care of a preschooler. I don't see why some fans don't get that these actors are human and have issues, like any professional.
I really get tired of the bad writing being blamed for all the actors' problems. To a point, yes, but it gets rather obvious when an actor is in nothing but either shriek or cry mode that something is wrong. And, Allison was good. She's at her best when Sami is scheming. I think that's the Sami people fell in love with. I just don't think, at least now, she's cut out for the damsel in distress. I thought she was also terrific as Sister Colleen. And newsflash...she worked at that role. She worked with a dialect coach, and it showed. It wasn't perfect, but you're not going to get a perfect Irish accent from anyone non-Irish except maybe Meryl Streep. Allison, with all the pressure and time limits, did a great job with that role. So, it's not beyond her. And that writing certainly wasn't the world's best.
Ari Zucker wasn't bad two years ago, but she wasn't ultra, either. While she was gone from Days, she DID take acting lessons. The results show. Certainly Nicole's storyline isn't great right now. Ari, to me, is channeling the pain and desperation of a woman who just lost her baby, and is now fearful for the silver lining to be ripped from her.
I don't FEEL Sami being a mom who's desperate to see her kids. I see her acting like a spoiled brat. If she was supposed to love EJ, I sure as hell didn't FEEL that (and I'm not one to get worked up over THAT DAY in December, 2006). I don't give a flying flip if it's supposedly SUPPOSED to be a great story marrying off a DiMera and a Brady. It flipping didn't work. Whether it was writing, pressure from fanbases, or what, it, in the end, didn't work. It could have, sure. But it didn't.
And ilovemydays, I love your comment about the disservice to the other actors who could carry this who would LOVE to have the opportunities Allison has had. You are spot on. It's possible that now Ari is in that light and is getting those opportunities, but she's prepared for it. Like I mentioned earlier, I rarely, if ever, have seen any negative criticisms about her recent acting abilities. I would have LOVED to have seen Blake Berris get the opportunities Allison has. That man is another one who is so talented, and makes his role seem natural and effortless.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

six
Dec 6 2008, 06:15 PM
ladyofthelake
Dec 6 2008, 01:38 PM
Mason
Dec 5 2008, 03:07 PM
six
Dec 5 2008, 01:44 PM
And if you're 90% of the rest of the fans here, Sami suffers the brunt. There were countless posts about how Sami should have a miscarriage, or hoping she'd have a long rest during AS's maternity leave, or saying she's whiny and self centered.
Can you blame us? We've had to suffer through Sami's obnoxious whining and crying being front and center for almost two years now.
Mason, you're batting 1000 in this thread.

I've noticed it on other boards, too. Many Days posters (INCLUDING some former EJami fans) are sick of Sami. Based on what I noticed, quite a few Ejami fans were already getting a little worn BEFORE Nicole ever came on the scene. The whole writing and glitterizing and personality changes for both Sami and EJ to force them to fit a mold made people tired. Then, you double that with Santeen (actually, I enjoyed them more than Ejami), and it was too much.
EJole, for a lot of people, is refreshing. Of course, it's in the process of getting ruined, too, so I guess anti-Nicole folks can rejoice in that. The thing is, quite a few people JUST DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ASS about Ejami anymore. They're burned out. So, Ejole sinks. If they go back to Ejami, I suspect there will only be a clustered few who hang on just cause they want their couple, regardless. So, all the stammering and stuttering and spitting and saying this is the way it was meant to be ain't gonna mean jack shit if most people JUST DON'T CARE. Burn out. When a ship has sailed, let the friggin' thing sail.

How is this any different than the ejami fans saying ejami would save the show? The thing is, there's just no way of knowing what the majority of the fans will and won't accept until it's on screen. The ejami ship has sailed- for you, and for some of the people on what ever other boards you go on. Every board has its own culture where different storylines/characters are more/less accepted than others. Here, I see a lot of praise for Theo's story, for example, and criticism for ejami. On other places, it's the exact opposite. Most posters don't want to be the one person disagreeing with the mob, so to speak.

I absolutely believe Highley and the other writers need to take the blame for what's happened to the characters. It'd be different if the show was solid except the safe house storyline.
You apparently have no idea how many boards I frequent. ;) And, I should also add that it's not just boards, but critic blogs, too.

cjknick
Member Avatar

ilovemydays
cjknick
Alligato

I don't blame the actors in the fall of this show and the reason is that soap actors are almost asked to do the impossible and for frontburner actors right now like Ari, Ali, James, JKJ, Molly etc... the amount of work they have to do on a weekly basis is nuts plus apparently there is not much rehearsal. Days has been in such turmoil behind the scene too and they have new writer's, new producers on a yearly basis, they have to worry whether or not they are going to be cut or if they are one that are choosen to stay they are asked to take pay cuts .... In Ali's case she is doing two jobs, plus raising a son, plus she is pregnant why they just didn't give her an extended maternity leave is beyond me .... for some reason they just can't deal with the character of Sami off screen for a period of time. Last time she went on maternity leave - Sami was on but they came up with the s/l of Stan. Many actors have side projects or have a side business. Ari and Kristen have their jewlry lines, Lauren has her orchard, James has Urth, MBE has a pie company. Plus they do fan events on top of charity events, photo shoots, morning programs .... they work their butts off and the pay off and the longevity is only captured by the very few. They can't be doing this for the fame because daytime soap actors are thought to be second rate actors who can't make it to prime time. The lucky ones are those rare actors who can take what they learned and the work ethic that they had to adapt to in daytime and make it in primetime or the movies.

ilovemydays

ladyofthelake
Dec 6 2008, 08:03 PM
ilovemydays
cjknick
Alligato

You are one smart cookie. The girl is simply overworked. It makes perfect sense. She's not Superwoman, and personally, I thought she was crazy to try to keep on two jobs, be pregnant, make personal appearances, AND take care of a preschooler. I don't see why some fans don't get that these actors are human and have issues, like any professional.
I really get tired of the bad writing being blamed for all the actors' problems. To a point, yes, but it gets rather obvious when an actor is in nothing but either shriek or cry mode that something is wrong. And, Allison was good. She's at her best when Sami is scheming. I think that's the Sami people fell in love with. I just don't think, at least now, she's cut out for the damsel in distress. I thought she was also terrific as Sister Colleen. And newsflash...she worked at that role. She worked with a dialect coach, and it showed. It wasn't perfect, but you're not going to get a perfect Irish accent from anyone non-Irish except maybe Meryl Streep. Allison, with all the pressure and time limits, did a great job with that role. So, it's not beyond her. And that writing certainly wasn't the world's best.
Ari Zucker wasn't bad two years ago, but she wasn't ultra, either. While she was gone from Days, she DID take acting lessons. The results show. Certainly Nicole's storyline isn't great right now. Ari, to me, is channeling the pain and desperation of a woman who just lost her baby, and is now fearful for the silver lining to be ripped from her.
I don't FEEL Sami being a mom who's desperate to see her kids. I see her acting like a spoiled brat. If she was supposed to love EJ, I sure as hell didn't FEEL that (and I'm not one to get worked up over THAT DAY in December, 2006). I don't give a flying flip if it's supposedly SUPPOSED to be a great story marrying off a DiMera and a Brady. It flipping didn't work. Whether it was writing, pressure from fanbases, or what, it, in the end, didn't work. It could have, sure. But it didn't.
And ilovemydays, I love your comment about the disservice to the other actors who could carry this who would LOVE to have the opportunities Allison has had. You are spot on. It's possible that now Ari is in that light and is getting those opportunities, but she's prepared for it. Like I mentioned earlier, I rarely, if ever, have seen any negative criticisms about her recent acting abilities. I would have LOVED to have seen Blake Berris get the opportunities Allison has. That man is another one who is so talented, and makes his role seem natural and effortless.

Thank you so much ladyofthelake! I value your opinion so your gracious comments mean that much more to me.

cjknick, again, while I respect Alison's work ethic I do blame her for her inability to make Sami compelling. Ali can't change the material but she's responsible for the delivery. IMO she's an actress that has very limited abilities to emote realistically. As long as she continues to phone in her performances she will continue to give her daytime peers the bad name of being 'second rate actors that can't make it in Primetime'. And it's sad really because there are excellent actors on DAYS what would shine if they were given her opportunities and have been sitting in the background waiting while TPTB blew a portion of their precious budget hiring actors to portray Sami's bodyguards just so that Alison could remain on screen without covering up her pregnancy.

Alison is good at being herself, as a talk show host and as spokesperson she's excellent but as an actress...not so much. Maybe she was good once but for as long as I've been watching there have been only glimpses of character worth watching and I would say that they are probably the times that Alison is portraying Sami casually. IMO, anything that requires a deep emotional range is just too much for her.

Edited by ilovemydays, Dec 6 2008, 09:31 PM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

cjknick
Dec 6 2008, 08:59 PM
ilovemydays
cjknick
Alligato

I don't blame the actors in the fall of this show and the reason is that soap actors are almost asked to do the impossible and for frontburner actors right now like Ari, Ali, James, JKJ, Molly etc... the amount of work they have to do on a weekly basis is nuts plus apparently there is not much rehearsal. Days has been in such turmoil behind the scene too and they have new writer's, new producers on a yearly basis, they have to worry whether or not they are going to be cut or if they are one that are choosen to stay they are asked to take pay cuts .... In Ali's case she is doing two jobs, plus raising a son, plus she is pregnant why they just didn't give her an extended maternity leave is beyond me .... for some reason they just can't deal with the character of Sami off screen for a period of time. Last time she went on maternity leave - Sami was on but they came up with the s/l of Stan. Many actors have side projects or have a side business. Ari and Kristen have their jewlry lines, Lauren has her orchard, James has Urth, MBE has a pie company. Plus they do fan events on top of charity events, photo shoots, morning programs .... they work their butts off and the pay off and the longevity is only captured by the very few. They can't be doing this for the fame because daytime soap actors are thought to be second rate actors who can't make it to prime time. The lucky ones are those rare actors who can take what they learned and the work ethic that they had to adapt to in daytime and make it in primetime or the movies.
Is it possible she didn't ASK for maternity leave? Maybe this was Allison's choice, not necessarily theirs. She asked for the pregnancy to be written in, after all. Certainly the powers that be must have been aware of the general consensus on boards and critic's blogs that maybe Sami needed a break. And by law, I'm willing to bet if Allison asked for maternity leave, they need to give her one. I could be totally wrong, but I'm willing to bet no business can force a pregnant woman to work. If she was so valuable, they could have worked around it.
And, I think the fact that she's working two jobs and has a son has already been mentioned. By me.
But at least it seems you might agree that, whether she chose to keep working or they made her, the physical toll affects her acting.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply