Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: Rafe stabbed, Sami in danger!
Topic Started: Dec 3 2008, 11:42 AM (6,334 Views)
ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

ilovemydays
Dec 6 2008, 09:30 PM
ladyofthelake
Dec 6 2008, 08:03 PM
ilovemydays
Dec 6 2008, 06:25 PM
cjknick
Dec 6 2008, 06:05 PM
Alligato
Dec 6 2008, 04:43 PM
The difference is that Sami was not getting the best material when it "was" the Sami show. All she did was cry or bitch...every show! It was so hard to tune her out.<br /><br />I guess I can't complain that it is the Nicole show because Nicole is acting sassy one day, crying the next, flirting the next, etc. It's being varied and I still find her entertaining. She isn't overbearing to me. <br /><br />And even though she MAY not be on as much, it still feels like the Sami show because all Sami is still doing is crying/yelling...same stuff for the past few years. <br /><br />And I don't buy that this is Higley's fault. Obviously, AS wanted this written in for whatever reason, so now that it is in and it sucks, it's not entirely Higley's doing. What can you do with a pregnant woman who doesn't want to tell the father and still make it interesting?? I almost wish they would have had Lucas pretend to be the father instead of bringing in Rafe.
It was very clear that Sami is the character that Hogan decided to write for then he was fired and Higley took over and Higley chose to write good material for Nicole .... New writer's want to put their own stamp on the material and it is not unusual for the new writer to go in totally different direction when they can. The problem with Days in the past three/four years they have three different HW plus they have interim writer's between Jer and Hogan and scab writer's between Hogan and Higley .... Plus they have had Three associate producers too..Inconsistency all over the place!

OK, look. I'm not the poster to bash actors but the simple fact of the matter is that the problem with Sami isn't that Alison is given material of a lesser quality than Ari, the problem is that Alison fails to deliver much of what she is given. Take the other day, Sami was supposed to be sad about missing her family over the holidays. Did I feel sorry for her? Nope. Why? Because it was the same huff-puff performance that Alison ALWAYS does when Sami is crying. It simply did not meet its mark. When Nicole cries I believe it because Arianne makes me feel it.

IMO Sami's most memorable scenes are scenes when Alison doesn't have to stretch, Rafe, Hilda and Rolf. Alison simply lacks range. Its too bad really I believe Ali is a hard worker and maybe if she took some time off and honed her craft she might improve but to blame the travesty that is Sami solely on bad writing does a disservice to the all of other actors on the show that would love to have had the opportunities that Alison has been given.

You are one smart cookie. The girl is simply overworked. It makes perfect sense. She's not Superwoman, and personally, I thought she was crazy to try to keep on two jobs, be pregnant, make personal appearances, AND take care of a preschooler. I don't see why some fans don't get that these actors are human and have issues, like any professional.
I really get tired of the bad writing being blamed for all the actors' problems. To a point, yes, but it gets rather obvious when an actor is in nothing but either shriek or cry mode that something is wrong. And, Allison was good. She's at her best when Sami is scheming. I think that's the Sami people fell in love with. I just don't think, at least now, she's cut out for the damsel in distress. I thought she was also terrific as Sister Colleen. And newsflash...she worked at that role. She worked with a dialect coach, and it showed. It wasn't perfect, but you're not going to get a perfect Irish accent from anyone non-Irish except maybe Meryl Streep. Allison, with all the pressure and time limits, did a great job with that role. So, it's not beyond her. And that writing certainly wasn't the world's best.
Ari Zucker wasn't bad two years ago, but she wasn't ultra, either. While she was gone from Days, she DID take acting lessons. The results show. Certainly Nicole's storyline isn't great right now. Ari, to me, is channeling the pain and desperation of a woman who just lost her baby, and is now fearful for the silver lining to be ripped from her.
I don't FEEL Sami being a mom who's desperate to see her kids. I see her acting like a spoiled brat. If she was supposed to love EJ, I sure as hell didn't FEEL that (and I'm not one to get worked up over THAT DAY in December, 2006). I don't give a flying flip if it's supposedly SUPPOSED to be a great story marrying off a DiMera and a Brady. It flipping didn't work. Whether it was writing, pressure from fanbases, or what, it, in the end, didn't work. It could have, sure. But it didn't.
And ilovemydays, I love your comment about the disservice to the other actors who could carry this who would LOVE to have the opportunities Allison has had. You are spot on. It's possible that now Ari is in that light and is getting those opportunities, but she's prepared for it. Like I mentioned earlier, I rarely, if ever, have seen any negative criticisms about her recent acting abilities. I would have LOVED to have seen Blake Berris get the opportunities Allison has. That man is another one who is so talented, and makes his role seem natural and effortless.

Thank you so much ladyofthelake! I value your opinion so your gracious comments mean that much more to me.

cjknick, again, while I respect Alison's work ethic I do blame her for her inability to make Sami compelling. Ali can't change the material but she's responsible for the delivery. IMO she's an actress that has very limited abilities to emote realistically. As long as she continues to phone in her performances she will continue to give her daytime peers the bad name of being 'second rate actors that can't make it in Primetime'. And it's sad really because there are excellent actors on DAYS what would shine if they were given her opportunities and have been sitting in the background waiting while TPTB blew a portion of their precious budget hiring actors to portray Sami's bodyguards just so that Alison could remain on screen without covering up her pregnancy.

Alison is good at being herself, as a talk show host and as spokesperson she's excellent but as an actress...not so much. Maybe she was good once but for as long as I've been watching there have been only glimpses of character worth watching and I would say that they are probably the times that Alison is portraying Sami casually. IMO, anything that requires a deep emotional range is just too much for her.

You are so welcome. ;) And you're still making excellent points.
Edited by ladyofthelake, Dec 6 2008, 10:04 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Dec 6 2008, 08:05 PM
six
Dec 6 2008, 06:15 PM
ladyofthelake
Dec 6 2008, 01:38 PM
Mason
Dec 5 2008, 03:07 PM
six
Dec 5 2008, 01:44 PM
And if you're 90% of the rest of the fans here, Sami suffers the brunt. There were countless posts about how Sami should have a miscarriage, or hoping she'd have a long rest during AS's maternity leave, or saying she's whiny and self centered.
Can you blame us? We've had to suffer through Sami's obnoxious whining and crying being front and center for almost two years now.
Mason, you're batting 1000 in this thread.

I've noticed it on other boards, too. Many Days posters (INCLUDING some former EJami fans) are sick of Sami. Based on what I noticed, quite a few Ejami fans were already getting a little worn BEFORE Nicole ever came on the scene. The whole writing and glitterizing and personality changes for both Sami and EJ to force them to fit a mold made people tired. Then, you double that with Santeen (actually, I enjoyed them more than Ejami), and it was too much.
EJole, for a lot of people, is refreshing. Of course, it's in the process of getting ruined, too, so I guess anti-Nicole folks can rejoice in that. The thing is, quite a few people JUST DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ASS about Ejami anymore. They're burned out. So, Ejole sinks. If they go back to Ejami, I suspect there will only be a clustered few who hang on just cause they want their couple, regardless. So, all the stammering and stuttering and spitting and saying this is the way it was meant to be ain't gonna mean jack shit if most people JUST DON'T CARE. Burn out. When a ship has sailed, let the friggin' thing sail.

How is this any different than the ejami fans saying ejami would save the show? The thing is, there's just no way of knowing what the majority of the fans will and won't accept until it's on screen. The ejami ship has sailed- for you, and for some of the people on what ever other boards you go on. Every board has its own culture where different storylines/characters are more/less accepted than others. Here, I see a lot of praise for Theo's story, for example, and criticism for ejami. On other places, it's the exact opposite. Most posters don't want to be the one person disagreeing with the mob, so to speak.

I absolutely believe Highley and the other writers need to take the blame for what's happened to the characters. It'd be different if the show was solid except the safe house storyline.
You apparently have no idea how many boards I frequent. ;) And, I should also add that it's not just boards, but critic blogs, too.
Nope, I don't know you, so I have no idea where you go. None of us know exactly where everyone else is going. Still sounds like the same song being played for a different cause to me. Especially when I can go to different blog comments and boards and see the same usernames come up again and again, and knowing that the average viewer is not the average soap board poster.

The WP storyline is trash. Katharine Hepburn couldn't have made two months worth of the same conversation every. single. day. compelling.
Edited by six, Dec 7 2008, 08:47 AM.

ilovemydays

six
Dec 7 2008, 08:46 AM
ladyofthelake
six
ladyofthelake
Mason
six
And if you're 90% of the rest of the fans here, Sami suffers the brunt. There were countless posts about how Sami should have a miscarriage, or hoping she'd have a long rest during AS's maternity leave, or saying she's whiny and self centered.
Can you blame us? We've had to suffer through Sami's obnoxious whining and crying being front and center for almost two years now.

I've noticed it on other boards, too. Many Days posters (INCLUDING some former EJami fans) are sick of Sami. Based on what I noticed, quite a few Ejami fans were already getting a little worn BEFORE Nicole ever came on the scene. The whole writing and glitterizing and personality changes for both Sami and EJ to force them to fit a mold made people tired. Then, you double that with Santeen (actually, I enjoyed them more than Ejami), and it was too much.
EJole, for a lot of people, is refreshing. Of course, it's in the process of getting ruined, too, so I guess anti-Nicole folks can rejoice in that. The thing is, quite a few people JUST DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ASS about Ejami anymore. They're burned out. So, Ejole sinks. If they go back to Ejami, I suspect there will only be a clustered few who hang on just cause they want their couple, regardless. So, all the stammering and stuttering and spitting and saying this is the way it was meant to be ain't gonna mean jack shit if most people JUST DON'T CARE. Burn out. When a ship has sailed, let the friggin' thing sail.

How is this any different than the ejami fans saying ejami would save the show? The thing is, there's just no way of knowing what the majority of the fans will and won't accept until it's on screen. The ejami ship has sailed- for you, and for some of the people on what ever other boards you go on. Every board has its own culture where different storylines/characters are more/less accepted than others. Here, I see a lot of praise for Theo's story, for example, and criticism for ejami. On other places, it's the exact opposite. Most posters don't want to be the one person disagreeing with the mob, so to speak.

I absolutely believe Highley and the other writers need to take the blame for what's happened to the characters. It'd be different if the show was solid except the safe house storyline.
You apparently have no idea how many boards I frequent. ;) And, I should also add that it's not just boards, but critic blogs, too.
Nope, I don't know you, so I have no idea where you go. None of us know exactly where everyone else is going. Still sounds like the same song being played for a different cause to me. Especially when I can go to different blog comments and boards and see the same usernames come up again and again, and knowing that the average viewer is not the average soap board poster.

The WP storyline is trash. Katharine Hepburn couldn't have made two months worth of the same conversation every. single. day. compelling.

Sami's dialog is hardly the same. In fact, I believe that the primary reason they paired her with GG is to provide Sami with some new material but unfortunately for the viewers Alison continues to deliver nearly all of Sami's lines the same predictable way and as a result the character continues to come off as a petulant, selfish teenager rather than a mature, lonely mother of three separated from her children and loved ones by circumstance.

While I don't hate the Sami and Rafe scenes I do feel sorry for G.G. and Rafe.

Edited by ilovemydays, Dec 7 2008, 02:38 PM.

Lorijean0

goldylicious
Dec 3 2008, 02:48 PM
Fine, I will be the only person to admit that I like Rafe and Sami lol It gives Sami a new romance which she has needed. And although many on this board may not agree, Sami is a popular character and it allows to have a reduced schedule, while she is pregnant and shooting the her other show, while also keeping Sami's pregnancy a secret from EJ. I have always hated the idea of any sort of "love" between EJ and Sami, and I think Sami and Lucas are a dead end. I'm glad that Sami has someone new.
Pregnancy. That is the key word here, lol I don't know how they are gonna get around this subject with Sami's new "love interest" other than falling in love and him not only being with her, but being part of the baby's life too. Like some have said, could he actually volunteer to be the babys father? I don't know how they are gonna do it, but I'll stick around to find out, lol
What do you all think about this, I'm curious? :shrug: :huh1: :huh1:

Alligato
Member Avatar

Lorijean - I was thinking that instead of doing the WP, it would have been a better story for CURRENT characters to have Lucas pretend to be the baby's father causing an entanglement between him and Chloe and him and Sami...giving Lucas some story and some humorous situations...and even by annoying EJ a bit with it.
But that was no go.

So maybe Sami could say, when she returns, that she went into WP, met Rafe, frequented a orphange and decided to adopt a baby with Rafe. Maybe she and Rafe can pretend to be an item when he moves to Salem. That might be too cut and dry for Days...and possibly no drama to it.

There are so many interesting ways this could play out, especially if Sami gives the baby up and Nicole adopts it with EJ, but I don't see Sami giving up her baby (and I really don't want to see her crying about it), so I fear that this will end up being a ridiculously predictable story with a cheesy ending.

I will stick around to see it all play out. Probably the only story that I am excited for. I know Kate isn't going to die.

six
Member Avatar

ilovemydays
Dec 7 2008, 01:54 PM
six
Dec 7 2008, 08:46 AM
ladyofthelake
six
ladyofthelake
Mason
six

Sami's dialog is hardly the same. In fact, I believe that the primary reason they paired her with GG is to provide Sami with some new material but unfortunately for the viewers Alison continues to deliver nearly all of Sami's lines the same predictable way and as a result the character continues to come off as a petulant, selfish teenager rather than a mature, lonely mother of three separated from her children and loved ones by circumstance.

While I don't hate the Sami and Rafe scenes I do feel sorry for G.G. and Rafe.

Well, I'm glad you've found variety in it and that there's someone out there who doesn't completely loathe those scenes.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply