Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Article on Deidre and Drake's departure; rumor
Topic Started: Dec 8 2008, 04:03 PM (3,743 Views)
annn1
Member Avatar

From http://www.baywindows.com/index.php?ch=columnists&sc=billy_masters&sc2=&sc3=&id=84306

With the economic doldrums, the daytime dramas are tightening their belts, bringing a blue Christmas to the Lucci and Hall homes. The All My Children brass has issued across-the-board pay cuts, and reportedly La Lucci’s salary is being slashed by 35 percent! But, that’s nothing -- our very own Deidre Hall is being fired! Both she and Drake Hogestyn are being written off in early 2009. Everyone is saying they’ve been eliminated because they had the highest salary, but my sources whisper they’ll be back in short order - albeit in a diminished capacity.

What does that mean?...that they will be back,but only on 1 time a week?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

Back in a "diminished capacity"? How could they possibly be used any less and to any lesser effect than they are now? I don't want them to return simply to appear once a month just to prop up useless characters. Let's hope Dee and Drake both get new roles so they can tell Kenny-boy to shove it. :redface:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I didn't want to say anything but I did hear this shortly after the firing from someone I trust. I was told they would be "rested" and that their exit may end up being very open-ended, meaning the story may just be left alone so that it can be picked up when they return.

One idea I heard tossed around was they would be rested until May and brought back in June. Half the year would've gone by and then they would use them for the last half but they both would take pay cuts. They wouldn't have to worry about guarantees and could use them alot because of it being halfway through the year already. It seems like they may end up getting something like Anthony Geary on GH, only it would be show imposed. Then again, is that much different from the last few years? They had a hiatus in 2006, were barely on in 2007, and have had breaks at times in 2008. I would think those were signs of the show changing their status.

Again, this is what I heard and since someone else is mentioning it, I figured I would share because it's alot of hearsay more then anything. I do believe they will be back. I don't think Corday has the guts to permanently remove them. I've said that all along. He isn't stupid. I'm indifferent on this but I think anyway they can have them is a good thing.

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

I don't want them to come back just to have their characters written more horribly and on once a week,Drake and Dee are WAY TOO talented for this pathetic excuse of a show.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Dec 8 2008, 04:17 PM
I don't think Corday has the guts to permanently remove them. I've said that all along. He isn't stupid.
Yes, he is.

Phoenix as always, the information is appreciated! But I do think they're really fired, so I'm going to go with that assumption for now.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Well, we'll see but Corday is spineless. We've been down this road before. Even when ratings didn't fall, he still reversed decisions like this.

I won't believe it until at least a year goes by. If a year goes by and they are still gone, I will buy they are truly done.

Alligato
Member Avatar

I knew this.

Wasn't there an article saying that they were "rested"? Or a short break? Or something?
From KC's commentary, I knew that they weren't gone for good, but I figured that he would bring them back for the big finale.

Also, since we really haven't had much commentary from either DH, I assume it is because something else is going on.

Whatever. What they are doing now is pathetic, so I don't even think I will notice the rest.

jules

^^^^
I don't believe they have any real intention to bring them back. Why would they tell Drake (and probably Deidre) that it was OK for them to look for work elsewhere? That's what's Drake's Fan Club supposedly said.

jules

Also, I think the reason for no commentary by both is because they are still working until the holiday break. What can they say while they're still employed by Days?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

See, that is critical for me too.

Neither Drake or Dee has said anything. The mags really have no details other then what Corday fed them. Their reps really haven't said anything either to the mags. I think it was just Dee's rep that said the character was being written out but usually with two stars like Drake and Dee, something would've been said by now in the mags. Then again, Drake said nothing when he got written out last year until the week that John "died" so who knows but I would think Dee being as big as she is would say something by now.

I just think this is one of the "only on Days" exits where they will be gone for a few months at most and then will get some hyped up return for summer. It's a shame that it's gotten so routine but Corday and Days is so transparent and the pattern is there. Everything I've read and heard doesn't make this sound final. It sounds strategic but it doesn't sound permanent at all to me.

We'll see how they exit because that will sell it for me.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jules
Dec 8 2008, 04:57 PM
^^^^
I don't believe they have any real intention to bring them back. Why would they tell Drake (and probably Deidre) that it was OK for them to look for work elsewhere? That's what's Drake's Fan Club supposedly said.
Drake was told that last year too and look what happened. I don't believe it until I see it, like I said,

And usually they will at least make some sort of statement of their own, not through reps or whatever. I wouldn't expect them to bash the show. Just to say how they feel about this and what is going through their mind. The fact that one or both hasn't done that yet makes me wonder, personally.

jane1978

PhoenixRising05
Dec 8 2008, 04:59 PM
See, that is critical for me too.

Neither Drake or Dee has said anything. The mags really have no details other then what Corday fed them. Their reps really haven't said anything either to the mags. I think it was just Dee's rep that said the character was being written out but usually with two stars like Drake and Dee, something would've been said by now in the mags. Then again, Drake said nothing when he got written out last year until the week that John "died" so who knows but I would think Dee being as big as she is would say something by now.

I just think this is one of the "only on Days" exits where they will be gone for a few months at most and then will get some hyped up return for summer. It's a shame that it's gotten so routine but Corday and Days is so transparent and the pattern is there. Everything I've read and heard doesn't make this sound final. It sounds strategic but it doesn't sound permanent at all to me.

We'll see how they exit because that will sell it for me.
I hope not. It´s not like a few months later there will suddenly be some wonderfull original story for them, especially if they are leaving happy and together.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Dec 8 2008, 05:00 PM
And usually they will at least make some sort of statement of their own, not through reps or whatever. I wouldn't expect them to bash the show. Just to say how they feel about this and what is going through their mind. The fact that one or both hasn't done that yet makes me wonder, personally.
And it makes me think of what professionals they are. Deidre in particular has never spoken negatively about the show during her tenure there, and she's not doing it now either. I mean, what could either of them say now besides anything negative? I'm sure they're both deeply hurt and insulted. How could they not be?

Mason
Member Avatar

I hate that they're leaving (well, I hate that Deidre's leaving anyway), but once they're gone, I hope they don't come back if Corday comes a calling. At least not until the finale. Something needs to blow up in Corday's face to finally show him what a bungling dipshit he is.

e83talus
Member Avatar

I hate this show and when they exit, whether temporary or not I will also. I remember when they were BB'd in 07 and I waited from January until the last week of May. John was in a coma and I saw Marlena maybe 5 times during this almost 6 month period. I sat through Shelle/Phelle in Tindau Lau, Lumi's Green Wedding, Crazy Steve, and the Rapist/Stalker/torturer that was EJ. It was utterly painful though more pain came shortly afterwards when they were shown simply reading letters and propping up the ever pregnant and whining Lumi v. Ejami Hour

This time rather than sitting through bad s/l's on Days, I will not sit through any of Days and they will simply lose this viewer and others like me, for good. We will find other habits or things to do at 1:00 pm. We will likely not return in 6 months since we have been here and done this maybe three to four times in the last two years. This is what comes of ringing false alarm bells too many times, Ken C, we just will not come running anymore. :moon:
Edited by e83talus, Dec 8 2008, 06:35 PM.

daisysmommy

e83talus
Dec 8 2008, 06:31 PM
I hate this show and when they exit, whether temporary or not I will also. I remember when they were BB'd in 07 and I waited from January until the last week of May. John was in a coma and I saw Marlena maybe 5 times during this almost 6 month period. I sat through Shelle/Phelle in Tindau Lau, Lumi's Green Wedding, Crazy Steve, and the Rapist/Stalker/torturer that was EJ. It was utterly painful though more pain came shortly afterwards when they were shown simply reading letters and propping up the ever pregnant and whining Lumi v. Ejami Hour

This time rather than sitting through bad s/l's on Days, I will not sit through any of Days and they will simply lose this viewer and others like me, for good. We will find other habits or things to do at 1:00 pm. We will likely not return in 6 months since we have been here and done this maybe three to four times in the last two years. This is what comes of ringing false alarm bells too many times, Ken C, we just will not come running anymore. :moon:
I agree-- it will be a relief not to endure for naught anymore. We will get a shittily tied up bow in the story, with a few decent flashbacks.

It's literally spectacular, how far the show has fallen. Why is Higley still there?

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Here is another point to consider. These firings have crossed over to the mainstream media in a way that no Days firings have before. (The SSK story was covered in the media, but that was in terms of the story itself, and, to be honest, the fact that Marlena was the killer.) However, with these firings, there have been countless articles in the past few weeks in almost all of the respected media outlets, either discussing Drake and Deidre or discussing "soap budget cuts" and mentioning Drake and Deidre in combination with Susan Lucci's paycut and the other soaps' budget issues.

Now the question is, do you think that NBC as an organization would let one of Corday's little hoaxes go this far? I don't. If Corday were planning this as a hoax, then the higher-ups at NBC would undoubtedly know that, and I think they would have come up with a strategy to deal with it. That strategy would have no doubt involved the Days press office, who have I believe been silent. The fact that newspapers, magazines, nightly news shows and national entertainment programs have reported on this and that NBC has let that go unchecked should I think leave us with no doubt that this is true.

King
Member Avatar

I think they just need to be off for a while and give the budget a rest and to give them some room to breathe.

Days4Life

I won't be surprised if they are back later in the year. I know Corday can't be trusted, but he did say they were "resting" the characters, which implies they are not gone for good. Maybe it would be a good thing if the characters were off the canvas for awhile; that would give the writers time to come up with a decent story. I know someone is going to say something about this is Dena Higley writing the show; she can't come up with a decent story. Well, whether that's true or not, I'm just tired of all the negativity, and I want to think some positive thoughts right now. So, I'm going to hope there is some method to all the madness and that 2009 brings some bright spots concerning the show.

e83talus
Member Avatar

Ellie
Dec 8 2008, 07:07 PM
PhoenixRising05
Here is another point to consider. These firings have crossed over to the mainstream media in a way that no Days firings have before. (The SSK story was covered in the media, but that was in terms of the story itself, and, to be honest, the fact that Marlena was the killer.) However, with these firings, there have been countless articles in the past few weeks in almost all of the respected media outlets, either discussing Drake and Deidre or discussing "soap budget cuts" and mentioning Drake and Deidre in combination with Susan Lucci's paycut and the other soaps' budget issues.

Now the question is, do you think that NBC as an organization would let one of Corday's little hoaxes go this far? I don't. If Corday were planning this as a hoax, then the higher-ups at NBC would undoubtedly know that, and I think they would have come up with a strategy to deal with it. That strategy would have no doubt involved the Days press office, who have I believe been silent. The fact that newspapers, magazines, nightly news shows and national entertainment programs have reported on this and that NBC has let that go unchecked should I think leave us with no doubt that this is true.
I agree.

I think the hoax, if one exist, is in allowing fans to believe this is temporary or not real (ie. runmors that they will return with Shelle in May, Rumors that they will not be reunited but sent away so fans look forward to the eventual reuniting, etc.). The hoax says, "keep watching guys because J&M will be back." Get The Hell out if Here! :blah:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply