Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Article on Deidre and Drake's departure; rumor
Topic Started: Dec 8 2008, 04:03 PM (3,698 Views)
Ellie

e83talus
Dec 8 2008, 07:17 PM
I think the hoax, if one exist, is in allowing fans to believe this is temporary or not real (ie. runmors that they will return with Shelle in May, Rumors that they will not be reunited but sent away so fans look forward to the eventual reuniting, etc.). The hoax says, "keep watching guys because J&M will be back." Get The Hell out if Here! :blah:
Yep. Lose the stars but keep their fans hanging on. I'm sure that's why Corday said that.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

Here's my question on the whole thing -- if that's really the plan and Corday intends to bring them back in May or so, wouldn't he have told Dee and Drake that and gotten their approval? And, if he did that, why not just tell everybody that's the plan? There's been so much uproar that Corday can't possibly believe that any potential positive press from bringing them back in secret would outweigh the current negative outcry, can he?

Now, if Corday thinks he might do this and has not bothered to mention it to Dee and Drake then he is even more stupid than I thought (and that's saying something). How will he be sure they are available in six months or that, based on everything that's happened, they'd even want to return? Although I guess if he can always get JM and RJ and the like back at the drop of a hat, maybe he really does think Dee and Drake would be just as easy.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Dec 8 2008, 07:07 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 8 2008, 04:59 PM
I just think this is one of the "only on Days" exits where they will be gone for a few months at most and then will get some hyped up return for summer. It's a shame that it's gotten so routine but Corday and Days is so transparent and the pattern is there. Everything I've read and heard doesn't make this sound final. It sounds strategic but it doesn't sound permanent at all to me.
Here is another point to consider. These firings have crossed over to the mainstream media in a way that no Days firings have before. (The SSK story was covered in the media, but that was in terms of the story itself, and, to be honest, the fact that Marlena was the killer.) However, with these firings, there have been countless articles in the past few weeks in almost all of the respected media outlets, either discussing Drake and Deidre or discussing "soap budget cuts" and mentioning Drake and Deidre in combination with Susan Lucci's paycut and the other soaps' budget issues.

Now the question is, do you think that NBC as an organization would let one of Corday's little hoaxes go this far? I don't. If Corday were planning this as a hoax, then the higher-ups at NBC would undoubtedly know that, and I think they would have come up with a strategy to deal with it. That strategy would have no doubt involved the Days press office, who have I believe been silent. The fact that newspapers, magazines, nightly news shows and national entertainment programs have reported on this and that NBC has let that go unchecked should I think leave us with no doubt that this is true.
Yes, I do.

Look at how NBC is being run. Zucker is just as bad as Corday. NBC is in the toilet and they could care less what Days does as long as it makes a profit and stays within budget.

I think what King and D4L says is logical. Here is what I'm thinking. They axed them for three reasons. One, to let the budget breathe. Two, because they were having a hard time writing for them and wanted to give them a rest (and to perhaps see what would happen if they were gone in regards to numbers, etc but I think they have already experimented enough with that). Three, as a scare tactic to get others to take the cut and I think it worked because as soon as this happened AS, KA, PR, and JKJ all stayed on with at least 3 of them taking a cut. Once they showed anyone was expendable, they all got scared. Is it dirty? Yes. But maybe desperate times call for desperate measures. It would've never had to come to this if Corday hadn't been such a interfering, incompetent asshole.

Whatever the case, don't believe what fan club presidents say and certainly don't buy into the whole "the actors don't know about" thing, especially now. The way this show works, it has to be in the back of their minds that it's a possibility and the longer they both are silent, the more it makes me think they do know something. Corday did say they were resting them for an undetermined time and it's not like he said they are through. He didn't make it sound final at all and Corday may be stupid but he knows how popular they are. Even if he didn't, he knows now. I still think Drake knew more then he let on last year and that he simply put himself out there as feelers to other shows because he wasn't sure if the material at Days would be up to snuff. He was clearly pissed off about the way the show was writing for him from 2005 and on so his working into other work last year doesn't automatically mean nothing. Tom Casiello already stated that the show informed him at the time they were writing John's funeral that John was coming back so I don't believe for a second Drake didn't know until December, especially with word getting out there that he was looking into other shows or soaps. Even if he didn't know, the minute Corday heard that he would've called Drake because they knew what the plan was.

I could care less if they return at this point but I've already prepared myself for the fact that they will likely be back in some capacity by summer.

Jane083

I think Corday is just clever enough to think that if the fans believe there is a chance that Drake and Deidre will be back then we won't give up watching the show. He wants to dangle their names in our faces hoping we will remain loyal viewers and not get mad and leave. Just a personal opinion.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Dec 8 2008, 07:43 PM
I think what King and D4L says is logical. Here is what I'm thinking. They axed them for three reasons. One, to let the budget breathe. Two, because they were having a hard time writing for them and wanted to give them a rest (and to perhaps see what would happen if they were gone in regards to numbers, etc but I think they have already experimented enough with that). Three, as a scare tactic to get others to take the cut and I think it worked because as soon as this happened AS, KA, PR, and JKJ all stayed on with at least 3 of them taking a cut. Once they showed anyone was expendable, they all got scared. Is it dirty? Yes. But maybe desperate times call for desperate measures. It would've never had to come to this if Corday hadn't been such a interfering, incompetent asshole.
Tim and all others who think this is a hoax and/or D&D are coming back, I have a question for you. If other actors are fired within the next few months, will you still feel this way?

Mason

We thought the same thing with Martha Madison. She's still not back, and as more time goes by, it seems less and less likely that she will be.

If the financial situation at DAYS is really as grim as it's being made to seem, I don't think we'll be seeing J&M back.

hops
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 8 2008, 08:18 PM
We thought the same thing with Martha Madison. She's still not back, and as more time goes by, it seems less and less likely that she will be.

If the financial situation at DAYS is really as grim as it's being made to seem, I don't think we'll be seeing J&M back.
I remember that. Corday said they were 'resting Belle and Shawn' and that was nearly a year ago.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Dec 8 2008, 08:09 PM
PhoenixRising05
Tim and all others who think this is a hoax and/or D&D are coming back, I have a question for you. If other actors are fired within the next few months, will you still feel this way?
Depends on who they are.

Bo, Hope, Stefano, Lexie....yep.

Steve, Kayla, Tony, Anna...nope (especially since Corday once threw then under the bus and doesn't seem to care if they are there although I do think they will stay on to finish their contracts now at least).

Corday is afraid of the Bope and J&M fanbases. That much I do know from hearing things over the years. That is why he always cites them in his "Plan to Save Days" and why he panics and guts stories in response to fans. I know fans think because they aren't used much and the stories suck that isn't the case but it is. The man is petrified of those two fanbases, which is why I know he did this because he felt he had to and he will reverse it, if possible or necessary, the first chance he gets.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Dec 8 2008, 08:47 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

hops
Dec 8 2008, 08:28 PM
Mason

I remember that. Corday said they were 'resting Belle and Shawn' and that was nearly a year ago.
He never said he was "resting" them. He said they were traveling the world like Bo and Hope and would return sometime in the future. With J&M, he said they were resting the characters for an "indefinite period of time." May not sound different but it is because he seems to be making the effort to assure they will be back and kept going on and on about how hard this was. He was different with Shelle. Shelle in no way come close to J&M. Plus, I still think he wanted Storms and Cook back. I think he did what he did because Phloe and Shloe had more chemistry then Shelle and he knew Storms and Cook had a fanbase and that their chemistry was a bit better so he axed Martha and Brandon but his plan did not work. Since Brandon was already off the market, he probably scrapped plans to bring them back I don't think for a minute the characters were meant to be off this long.

It's also funny that Martha has not been hired by anyone after all the praise she got, even from veteran actors of other shows. Hell, Peter Bergman praised her. The fact that she is still not working makes me wonder.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Dec 8 2008, 08:45 PM.

Mason

PhoenixRising05
Dec 8 2008, 08:43 PM
It's also funny that Martha has not been hired by anyone after all the praise she got, even from veteran actors of other shows. Hell, Peter Bergman praised her. The fact that she is still not working makes me wonder.
It's not making me wonder. It's quite clear to me, actually. We all know Corday is a moron, so of course he'd let a talent like Martha slip through his fingers.

It's been almost a year since Martha was fired. If Corday were planning to bring her back, he'd have done it by now.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Dec 8 2008, 08:47 PM
PhoenixRising05
It's not making me wonder. It's quite clear to me, actually. We all know Corday is a moron, so of course he'd let a talent like Martha slip through his fingers.

It's been almost a year since Martha was fired. If Corday were planning to bring her back, he'd have done it by now.
That wasn't my point.

Why hasn't another soap hired her? Why not primetime or film? Granted, we don't know about everything she's auditioned for but we've only heard like two tidbits about her since she left and I would think she would get something unless she is content (don't she and her husband run a restaurant?). Brandon got picked up quick and he was less praised then her. That just makes me wonder if there may be something that is making people shy away from her.

Mason

I like Brandon, but let's face it. We ALL know why he was hired by B&B.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Dec 8 2008, 08:53 PM
I like Brandon, but let's face it. We ALL know why he was hired by B&B.
True but he still got hired and it's not like there haven't been roles out there for Martha.

Either she is through with acting by now or there is something there that screams "Don't Hire Her!"

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

I'm not sure what to believe.

On the one hand, I'm with Ellie, 'cause I'd like to believe they wouldn't let a faux-firing get this far.

On the other...they've done this shit a lot lately, or at least it feels that way, with the firing/re-hiring. They seem to enjoy the attention it garners when we get all up in arms about someone's departure, and then they placate us by bringing everyone back which makes us happy in spite of ourselves.

I think they also enjoy having beloved characters in reserve so they can use them later, and they've gone through a lot of possibilities already.

Austin/Carrie were kind of destroyed last time around, and Peck's on another show now anyway. Patch/Kayla came in with a resounding thud, so there's no reason to assume a second exit/return would do much. Chloe's back, Brady's back, Tony, Anna, Stefano...back, back, back.

Really the ones outstanding are Jack/Jen (like that'll happen) and Shawn/Belle, in terms of major, fairly-recent brand name couples. Kristen's out there on her own, and while there's a pretty good opening for her from a storyline perspective the actress is on a different show (which is fine- I'm sure she'd come back as something resembling Kate, focused on protecting EJ from Sami/Nicole/Whoever, and that would suck). Actually, I can sort of imagine Kristen coming on as a recast and that being tied to John/Marlena's departure/return.

But really, "resting" John/Marlena gives them another option. "And a beloved character comes home..." as part of The Plan To Save Days X.

So I can imagine it being planned and temporary. I just have a hard time seeing them try this crap again, especially when people will start looking for entertainment comfort food without a lot of this kind of drama.

hops
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
hops
Dec 8 2008, 08:28 PM
Mason

He never said he was "resting" them. He said they were traveling the world like Bo and Hope and would return sometime in the future. With J&M, he said they were resting the characters for an "indefinite period of time." May not sound different but it is because he seems to be making the effort to assure they will be back and kept going on and on about how hard this was. He was different with Shelle. Shelle in no way come close to J&M. Plus, I still think he wanted Storms and Cook back. I think he did what he did because Phloe and Shloe had more chemistry then Shelle and he knew Storms and Cook had a fanbase and that their chemistry was a bit better so he axed Martha and Brandon but his plan did not work. Since Brandon was already off the market, he probably scrapped plans to bring them back I don't think for a minute the characters were meant to be off this long.

okay, I stand corrected, lol. Normally if someone had used the words that Ken Corday did about John and Marlena, I would take that as a hint they would be back. But since this is Ken C. we are talking about and a soap opera where you might as well not believe a word that is said until the show is cut and on screen, lol, I just can't speculate. I will eat crow if they come back in the spring/summer, lol. I've haven't been too disappointed int he past couple of years, because I've learned to not get excited about anything that is said about a character or storyline, because chances are that if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. :)

hoochielicious
Member Avatar
Queen Hoochie

PhoenixRising05
Dec 8 2008, 04:33 PM
^Well, we'll see but Corday is spineless. We've been down this road before. Even when ratings didn't fall, he still reversed decisions like this.

I won't believe it until at least a year goes by. If a year goes by and they are still gone, I will buy they are truly done.
I totally agree. Corday had the writers write back in John before his funeral aired. I'll believe it after a year too.

Ellie

Tim, thanks for answering my question. My view would be that if there are other firings, it would be even more of an indicator that budget cuts are needed and/or the show is being revamped (as Corday said), and that there are no plans (and that there is no money!!) to bring anyone back. As for the "Plan to Save Days", I think unfortunately the only plan to save days at this time is to slice the budget and hope the show stays afloat. Aside from the other reasons I've given, I see this as completely different than a year ago because the budget is such a major issue for the show now.

hoochielicious
Member Avatar
Queen Hoochie

PhoenixRising05
Ellie
PhoenixRising05
I just think this is one of the "only on Days" exits where they will be gone for a few months at most and then will get some hyped up return for summer. It's a shame that it's gotten so routine but Corday and Days is so transparent and the pattern is there. Everything I've read and heard doesn't make this sound final. It sounds strategic but it doesn't sound permanent at all to me.
Here is another point to consider. These firings have crossed over to the mainstream media in a way that no Days firings have before. (The SSK story was covered in the media, but that was in terms of the story itself, and, to be honest, the fact that Marlena was the killer.) However, with these firings, there have been countless articles in the past few weeks in almost all of the respected media outlets, either discussing Drake and Deidre or discussing "soap budget cuts" and mentioning Drake and Deidre in combination with Susan Lucci's paycut and the other soaps' budget issues.

Now the question is, do you think that NBC as an organization would let one of Corday's little hoaxes go this far? I don't. If Corday were planning this as a hoax, then the higher-ups at NBC would undoubtedly know that, and I think they would have come up with a strategy to deal with it. That strategy would have no doubt involved the Days press office, who have I believe been silent. The fact that newspapers, magazines, nightly news shows and national entertainment programs have reported on this and that NBC has let that go unchecked should I think leave us with no doubt that this is true.
Yes, I do.

Look at how NBC is being run. Zucker is just as bad as Corday. NBC is in the toilet and they could care less what Days does as long as it makes a profit and stays within budget.

Whatever the case, don't believe what fan club presidents say and certainly don't buy into the whole "the actors don't know about" thing, especially now. The way this show works, it has to be in the back of their minds that it's a possibility and the longer they both are silent, the more it makes me think they do know something. Corday did say they were resting them for an undetermined time and it's not like he said they are through. He didn't make it sound final at all and Corday may be stupid but he knows how popular they are. Even if he didn't, he knows now. I still think Drake knew more then he let on last year and that he simply put himself out there as feelers to other shows because he wasn't sure if the material at Days would be up to snuff. He was clearly pissed off about the way the show was writing for him from 2005 and on so his working into other work last year doesn't automatically mean nothing. Tom Casiello already stated that the show informed him at the time they were writing John's funeral that John was coming back so I don't believe for a second Drake didn't know until December, especially with word getting out there that he was looking into other shows or soaps. Even if he didn't know, the minute Corday heard that he would've called Drake because they knew what the plan was.

I could care less if they return at this point but I've already prepared myself for the fact that they will likely be back in some capacity by summer.
I always thought Drake was in on it, and that the entire thing was a publicity stunt. He even took acting lessons to act like "Jawn." So that pretty much sealed it for me.

hoochielicious
Member Avatar
Queen Hoochie

px780
Dec 8 2008, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure what to believe.

On the one hand, I'm with Ellie, 'cause I'd like to believe they wouldn't let a faux-firing get this far.

On the other...they've done this shit a lot lately, or at least it feels that way, with the firing/re-hiring. They seem to enjoy the attention it garners when we get all up in arms about someone's departure, and then they placate us by bringing everyone back which makes us happy in spite of ourselves.

I think they also enjoy having beloved characters in reserve so they can use them later, and they've gone through a lot of possibilities already.

Austin/Carrie were kind of destroyed last time around, and Peck's on another show now anyway. Patch/Kayla came in with a resounding thud, so there's no reason to assume a second exit/return would do much. Chloe's back, Brady's back, Tony, Anna, Stefano...back, back, back.

Really the ones outstanding are Jack/Jen (like that'll happen) and Shawn/Belle, in terms of major, fairly-recent brand name couples. Kristen's out there on her own, and while there's a pretty good opening for her from a storyline perspective the actress is on a different show (which is fine- I'm sure she'd come back as something resembling Kate, focused on protecting EJ from Sami/Nicole/Whoever, and that would suck). Actually, I can sort of imagine Kristen coming on as a recast and that being tied to John/Marlena's departure/return.

But really, "resting" John/Marlena gives them another option. "And a beloved character comes home..." as part of The Plan To Save Days X.

So I can imagine it being planned and temporary. I just have a hard time seeing them try this crap again, especially when people will start looking for entertainment comfort food without a lot of this kind of drama.
I'm waiting for an announcement for a big return too. Corday never fires a vet without bringing another vet back.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

hoochielicious
Dec 8 2008, 09:32 PM
PhoenixRising05
Ellie
PhoenixRising05

Yes, I do.

I always thought Drake was in on it, and that the entire thing was a publicity stunt. He even took acting lessons to act like "Jawn." So that pretty much sealed it for me.
Exactly. That was my thinking too.

Ellie, the budget has been an issue since the last renewal, hence all the cuts in 2006 and I think that is what led to the first J&M hiatus that year and Corday wanting to experiment with how the show would do without the big 4. I think now it's a bigger deal because of the 40% cut and I don't think the cut would've been that severe if NBC wasn't cutting everything and the economy wasn't so bad. Having said that, I feel the only reason Days was renewed was because NBC as a whole was in bad shape and they didn't have the time and means to find a viable replacement and Days did improve it's numbers somewhat.

The budget has been an issue for awhile though. It's just Days didn't do the best managing it most of the time and that, along with NBC's cuts and the economy, led to the massive cut we haven ow.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply