Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Article on Deidre and Drake's departure; rumor
Topic Started: Dec 8 2008, 04:03 PM (3,767 Views)
Tammy
Member Avatar

As a J&M fan I am torn. Do I want to see J&M on screen, yes! However I dont want to see their characters get anymore screwed up and twisted around then they already are. I think if they were written out properly (I know, fat chance there lol) I would be okay with them not being on.

If this is all about cutting the budget then you fire them. But Corday, who wants to have his cake and eat it too says he is "resting them". Well then why not just bump them to recurring status and leave it at that? Because honestly that wouldn't be much different then what we have had of J&M the last past two years. Except then they wouldn't have the episode garuntees to worry about. Corday wants the J&M fans to linger around and watch hoping to get a J&M siting because he knows damn well that if a viewer is a fan of a certain couple or character, and that couple or character isn't on... their aren't going to watch!

Corday may like to gamble but he hasn't realized that he NEVER comes out the winner. That is why he always ends up scrambling and trying to save face!

In the end if J&M are leaving IMO I don't think they will be back, except maybe when the show ends for good. If Corday is lucky and they haven't found other work.
Edited by Tammy, Dec 8 2008, 11:15 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kriss4

Corday and TPTB have studied the numbers, I bet. They saw that the ratings didn't fall all that much when John was gone and they didn't rise when John returned. He's all about saving money now, so he's going to see what the ratings do when Drake and Deidre are both gone. If the ratings aren't impacted much, then he'll have made the "right" decision. If the ratings take yet another dive, it'll be obvious that he made a huge error and then he'll try to bring Drake and Deidre back.

Meanwhile, we watch to see what happens.

annn1
Member Avatar

I got the feeling that``John`` was dead for a couple weeks,before Drake was told he was coming back.... Corday wanted a ``real feel to the death and funeral scene``(so he says)...Drake has also said thet he did not know that he was comming back at the begining,but found out after a whilie(acording to the Daytime Confidental podcast about dobbel D getting fired,they guy who wrote Johns death and funeral.said that after John had been dead for 2 weeks,the fans was revolting(dont know what that word means)Corday panicked and told the writer that they had to bring John back..When they left for Australia,to do the talk show promoting Days.Drake said it was a sad sureal moment,the day they arrived in Australia,John Black got shot by EJ,back in USA his funeral was airing...Deidre stated that she did not know Drake was coming back,before she read the script about Crystal....and she was then very exited that Drake would come back,Deidre has said that she dos not like to know in advanced what ``Marlena`` is going to do,she liked to be suprised...when John died,she got 8 script to read...she stated to TV GUIDE in a interview that she was crying the whole time she was reading the script,cause Drake was leaving the show for good(what she thought at the time)...she had a real hard time saying goodbye to him...and was sad that the John and Marlena journy was over

Deleted User
Deleted User

They should only reurn with conditions.
First a public apology to the DH's and the fans.
Dena be fired, and a REAL writer with respect for DOOL History be hired.
A commitment of a minimum of shows per year (No less then 70) with a promise of atleast 2 major storylines, without comprimise.
A min 2-3 year contract.. Or till the show is canceled
And last but not least , Corday should hand over control to someone who gives a shit about this show.

Ive made my voice heard but Im also making sure the Sponsers know how I feel about this .. stunt or no stunt.. I wont be watching , waiting for them to return, We will ALL know in advance if they decide to bring them back, and I wont watch a day after they leave.
Quote Post Goto Top

SpriteEyes
Member Avatar

hoochielicious
Dec 8 2008, 09:32 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 8 2008, 07:43 PM
Ellie
Dec 8 2008, 07:07 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 8 2008, 04:59 PM
I just think this is one of the "only on Days" exits where they will be gone for a few months at most and then will get some hyped up return for summer. It's a shame that it's gotten so routine but Corday and Days is so transparent and the pattern is there. Everything I've read and heard doesn't make this sound final. It sounds strategic but it doesn't sound permanent at all to me.
Here is another point to consider. These firings have crossed over to the mainstream media in a way that no Days firings have before. (The SSK story was covered in the media, but that was in terms of the story itself, and, to be honest, the fact that Marlena was the killer.) However, with these firings, there have been countless articles in the past few weeks in almost all of the respected media outlets, either discussing Drake and Deidre or discussing "soap budget cuts" and mentioning Drake and Deidre in combination with Susan Lucci's paycut and the other soaps' budget issues.

Now the question is, do you think that NBC as an organization would let one of Corday's little hoaxes go this far? I don't. If Corday were planning this as a hoax, then the higher-ups at NBC would undoubtedly know that, and I think they would have come up with a strategy to deal with it. That strategy would have no doubt involved the Days press office, who have I believe been silent. The fact that newspapers, magazines, nightly news shows and national entertainment programs have reported on this and that NBC has let that go unchecked should I think leave us with no doubt that this is true.
Yes, I do.

Look at how NBC is being run. Zucker is just as bad as Corday. NBC is in the toilet and they could care less what Days does as long as it makes a profit and stays within budget.

I think what King and D4L says is logical. Here is what I'm thinking. They axed them for three reasons. One, to let the budget breathe. Two, because they were having a hard time writing for them and wanted to give them a rest (and to perhaps see what would happen if they were gone in regards to numbers, etc but I think they have already experimented enough with that). Three, as a scare tactic to get others to take the cut and I think it worked because as soon as this happened AS, KA, PR, and JKJ all stayed on with at least 3 of them taking a cut. Once they showed anyone was expendable, they all got scared. Is it dirty? Yes. But maybe desperate times call for desperate measures. It would've never had to come to this if Corday hadn't been such a interfering, incompetent asshole.

Whatever the case, don't believe what fan club presidents say and certainly don't buy into the whole "the actors don't know about" thing, especially now. The way this show works, it has to be in the back of their minds that it's a possibility and the longer they both are silent, the more it makes me think they do know something. Corday did say they were resting them for an undetermined time and it's not like he said they are through. He didn't make it sound final at all and Corday may be stupid but he knows how popular they are. Even if he didn't, he knows now. I still think Drake knew more then he let on last year and that he simply put himself out there as feelers to other shows because he wasn't sure if the material at Days would be up to snuff. He was clearly pissed off about the way the show was writing for him from 2005 and on so his working into other work last year doesn't automatically mean nothing. Tom Casiello already stated that the show informed him at the time they were writing John's funeral that John was coming back so I don't believe for a second Drake didn't know until December, especially with word getting out there that he was looking into other shows or soaps. Even if he didn't know, the minute Corday heard that he would've called Drake because they knew what the plan was.

I could care less if they return at this point but I've already prepared myself for the fact that they will likely be back in some capacity by summer.
I always thought Drake was in on it, and that the entire thing was a publicity stunt. He even took acting lessons to act like "Jawn." So that pretty much sealed it for me.
I think Drake was on in it all along, too.

So, if they're just being 'rested' then D&D know they're not really fired.

OR if they are really fired Tom Corday isn't worried about another show snatching them up.

What's the theory around about BB getting hired at BB?

e83talus
Member Avatar

In order for Days to save money, D&D have to be fired or else the show is still under contract to pay them and have them in so many episodes per year.

Now Ken C may believe that because he fires everyone and they come back that D&D will too but he does not have a guarantee and I don't beleive he can hold the DH's for six months so they don't do other things.

Six months is too long to "rest" fan favs and expect their fans to either hang on or come back. When the experiment was done in 07, ratings went from 2.7 in January to 2.0 in May 2007. They tried to use J&M and B&H to read letters from June to September (in about 5 shows during the entire summer of 07) around Ejami v. Lumi with Touch the skies in the background only to get a resounding 1.9 by September.

All of you who keep saying it did not effect ratings I don't know what show you have been watching as that is a significant drop off and it coincided with J&M and B&H being bb'd. I think it is fine to say J&M leaving may not make ratings drop significantly now as we are still at 2.0 and many J&M fans already left over the last two years, however it is simply not truthful to say that backburning the top two couples on this show had no effect before because a .7 drop in five months is a significant effect!

ges
Member Avatar

Jane083
Dec 8 2008, 08:04 PM
I think Corday is just clever enough to think that if the fans believe there is a chance that Drake and Deidre will be back then we won't give up watching the show. He wants to dangle their names in our faces hoping we will remain loyal viewers and not get mad and leave. Just a personal opinion.
I agree with this. All of the information we have is that they were fired. No negotiations, nothing...just blind-sided.
Then Corday makes his little announcement that they are being "rested." He just doesn't want to be despised.
The way he has treated these two stars is so cruel. What are they supposed to do sit around and hope one day yhey get a phone call? I don't know. NBC announced today that due to their shitty ratings they might not broadcast full days and run some infomercials during the day. Looks like the stupidity starts at the top.

Ellie

^^Great posts, e83talus and ges. I agree.

In terms of Corday's statement about "resting" the characters, I think people might be forgetting that on soaps (and especially Days), any character not currently on the show can be considered "rested". The show can bring back anyone at any time. For example, Kristen - the character is alive somewhere (not that that matters, lol), but she's not on the canvas at this time. However, no one would say that Eileen is still employed by Days. In Corday's mind, he really might plan to ask Deidre and Drake back for the Christmas show in a year or something like that - who knows. But that is unrelated to the fact that right now, their employment with Days is ending against their will.

daisysmommy

Well, if both DHs are on 52 wk cycles, and Deidre Hall's ended in August, then she's essentially been recurring since then-- which may explain her ridiculously long absences.

Drake's contract re-up is in Dec-- which is when he's taping through, I assume.

So they've probably been released...it's just a question of under what circumstances behind the scenes...

esp13
Member Avatar

Thank you for saying what I was trying to say so badly yesterday, Ellie. Some folks are talking as if this is a done deal and Drake and Dee have agreed to be "fired" for a few months and then come back. If that were the case, then I don't see why they wouldn't just say so? Why wouldn't Corday seek to put the fans mind at ease by simply telling them that was the deal?

Since he hasn't done so, the only conclusion I can draw is that they are really fired. Now, maybe in Corday's mind he is hoping that there will be a miraculous turnaround in the show's fortunes that will allow him to bring them back in a few months. Or maybe he thinks he can fire enough people in the next 3-4 months to afford to bring them back but doesn't want to say that publicly. Or maybe he's just trying to string fans along in the hopes they will stick around because of the small possibility that Dee and Drake might be back someday. All of these are possibilities, but they are also largely contingent upon Dee and Drake agreeing to return if some contingency occurs that allows it.

And, if there is some secret deal between Corday and Dee and Drake for them to return (as a certainty, not just a possibility) and the DH's are letting their fans suffer by not saying anything, then I'm afraid I'd be rather disappointed in them both.

Ellie

esp13
Dec 9 2008, 12:35 PM
Thank you for saying what I was trying to say so badly yesterday, Ellie. Some folks are talking as if this is a done deal and Drake and Dee have agreed to be "fired" for a few months and then come back. If that were the case, then I don't see why they wouldn't just say so? Why wouldn't Corday seek to put the fans mind at ease by simply telling them that was the deal?
lol, you're welcome. I agree with this - good point.

Quote:

Since he hasn't done so, the only conclusion I can draw is that they are really fired. Now, maybe in Corday's mind he is hoping that there will be a miraculous turnaround in the show's fortunes that will allow him to bring them back in a few months. Or maybe he thinks he can fire enough people in the next 3-4 months to afford to bring them back but doesn't want to say that publicly. Or maybe he's just trying to string fans along in the hopes they will stick around because of the small possibility that Dee and Drake might be back someday. All of these are possibilities, but they are also largely contingent upon Dee and Drake agreeing to return if some contingency occurs that allows it.
Yep, I think 'trying to string fans along' would be my vote. And I'm sure somewhere in a corner of Corday's small deluded mind, he thinks this "new and improved show" will do well enough that his budget woes will be over. What was that you wrote yesterday about if he's thinking this, he's stupider than we thought? I'd agree.

Quote:

And, if there is some secret deal between Corday and Dee and Drake for them to return (as a certainty, not just a possibility) and the DH's are letting their fans suffer by not saying anything, then I'm afraid I'd be rather disappointed in them both.
I would be too, but that's not what's happening. And again I think this goes back to the point I made yesterday about mainstream media coverage. It's one thing to have a storyline-dictated event covered in SOD, but it's an entirely different idea to have national mainstream media coverage which is combined with other coverage about NBC's issues as a network. I think the Days current budget cuts are of a far different scope than any little storyline 'ins and outs' in the past.

esp13
Member Avatar

^^I hope it didn't sound like I thought that Dee and Drake were withholding that information. Because I don't believe it for a second, in large part because I don't think they'd be letting their fans freak like this if they knew for sure they were coming back in a few months. Not with all the publicity this has garnered.

I know some think that Drake knew he was coming back all along last time, but I'm not sure. I do think the writing staff knew based on what Tom Casiello said, but that doesn't mean that Drake knew for sure. I think there were some negotiation games going on backstage that we'll never know all the details about, but that's probably par for the course. I think this is much different, but I'll be interested to see what the soap mags have to say when Dee and Drake do their final interviews.

Ellie

^^ Oh, I didn't think you were saying they're witholding any info. You were just going through all the possible scenarios for what could be happening.

If and when they give interviews, I'll also be very interested to hear what they have to say!

jules

e83talus
Dec 9 2008, 06:53 AM
In order for Days to save money, D&D have to be fired or else the show is still under contract to pay them and have them in so many episodes per year.

Now Ken C may believe that because he fires everyone and they come back that D&D will too but he does not have a guarantee and I don't beleive he can hold the DH's for six months so they don't do other things.

Six months is too long to "rest" fan favs and expect their fans to either hang on or come back. When the experiment was done in 07, ratings went from 2.7 in January to 2.0 in May 2007. They tried to use J&M and B&H to read letters from June to September (in about 5 shows during the entire summer of 07) around Ejami v. Lumi with Touch the skies in the background only to get a resounding 1.9 by September.

All of you who keep saying it did not effect ratings I don't know what show you have been watching as that is a significant drop off and it coincided with J&M and B&H being bb'd. I think it is fine to say J&M leaving may not make ratings drop significantly now as we are still at 2.0 and many J&M fans already left over the last two years, however it is simply not truthful to say that backburning the top two couples on this show had no effect before because a .7 drop in five months is a significant effect!
Thank You! That period of backburning J&M and Bope at the same time when the show had started to show some ratings gains was the biggest mistake Days has made in recent years. I heard that it was mandated by NBC and Corday in an attempt to save money, but all it did was ruin the show IMO. It has never recovered.

jules

esp13
Dec 9 2008, 12:54 PM
^^I hope it didn't sound like I thought that Dee and Drake were withholding that information. Because I don't believe it for a second, in large part because I don't think they'd be letting their fans freak like this if they knew for sure they were coming back in a few months. Not with all the publicity this has garnered.

I know some think that Drake knew he was coming back all along last time, but I'm not sure. I do think the writing staff knew based on what Tom Casiello said, but that doesn't mean that Drake knew for sure. I think there were some negotiation games going on backstage that we'll never know all the details about, but that's probably par for the course. I think this is much different, but I'll be interested to see what the soap mags have to say when Dee and Drake do their final interviews.
Deidre is doing a video chat if anyone wants to submit questions!

http://deidrehall.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5426

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

All I'm going to say is nothing will surprise me at this point about ANYTHING with this show.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

jules
Dec 8 2008, 04:57 PM
^^^^
I don't believe they have any real intention to bring them back. Why would they tell Drake (and probably Deidre) that it was OK for them to look for work elsewhere? That's what's Drake's Fan Club supposedly said.
ITA, Jules!

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Days4Life
Dec 8 2008, 07:14 PM
I won't be surprised if they are back later in the year. I know Corday can't be trusted, but he did say they were "resting" the characters, which implies they are not gone for good. Maybe it would be a good thing if the characters were off the canvas for awhile; that would give the writers time to come up with a decent story. I know someone is going to say something about this is Dena Higley writing the show; she can't come up with a decent story. Well, whether that's true or not, I'm just tired of all the negativity, and I want to think some positive thoughts right now. So, I'm going to hope there is some method to all the madness and that 2009 brings some bright spots concerning the show.
The only reason Corday said that was to hopefully keep fans like me tuned in waiting for their return. Not a chance in hell of that happening.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I'm just curious, J&M fans. What if they DO come back? How do you think you'll react? I can understand your not wanting them to come back because of poor storylines or pride or whatever (heck, I wish JKJ had taken his chances, but I can understand why he didn't), but do you honestly think you won't be happy if they do return? I'm kinda getting mixed signals here. What if the rumor holds true? And please don't give me answers about Corday's jackass-ery and "they won't come back. I hope they throw the offer in his face" stuff. I've read all that already.
I really want to know how you think you'll react if, 6 months down the road, they accept an offer to come back, recurring or contract. No, I'm not trying to be a jackass myself. I'm trying to understand. Would you be elated? Would you be totally disappointed in them? Or would you take a "wait and see" attitude about how they'll be written?

Take my question as you will, but as they asked Jesus in JC Superstar "I really wanna know". Thank you. :)

e83talus
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Dec 10 2008, 06:56 AM
I'm just curious, J&M fans. What if they DO come back? How do you think you'll react? I can understand your not wanting them to come back because of poor storylines or pride or whatever (heck, I wish JKJ had taken his chances, but I can understand why he didn't), but do you honestly think you won't be happy if they do return? I'm kinda getting mixed signals here. What if the rumor holds true? And please don't give me answers about Corday's jackass-ery and "they won't come back. I hope they throw the offer in his face" stuff. I've read all that already.
I really want to know how you think you'll react if, 6 months down the road, they accept an offer to come back, recurring or contract. No, I'm not trying to be a jackass myself. I'm trying to understand. Would you be elated? Would you be totally disappointed in them? Or would you take a "wait and see" attitude about how they'll be written?

Take my question as you will, but as they asked Jesus in JC Superstar "I really wanna know". Thank you. :)
I'd be disappointed and I do not plan to return to Days after January 23. That includes watching when it airs, watching repeats on Soapnet or DVR'in episodes. I would watch youtube clips of there return however as I love J&M more than I detest Days.

The disappointment would be because I am vindictive and I love when people who have been screwed have a chance to say, "take that" to the person or persons that wronged them. I would however understand how D&D would go back because I think they genuinely love the show and the cast. Deidre has never uttered a bad word about the show, s/l's, writers, direction, etc. While Drake has made some minor comments which can be considered slips because his mouth gets away from him sometimes, I think he too loves Days and working there.
I think those are the mixed signals that you are getting from Jarlena fans. We want Drake and Dee to say "FU" for some poetic justice but we know they love the show and we love them and understand their motivations.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply