Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Article on Deidre and Drake's departure; rumor
Topic Started: Dec 8 2008, 04:03 PM (3,617 Views)
hops
Member Avatar

e83talus
Dec 10 2008, 07:13 AM
ladyofthelake
Dec 10 2008, 06:56 AM
I'm just curious, J&M fans. What if they DO come back? How do you think you'll react? I can understand your not wanting them to come back because of poor storylines or pride or whatever (heck, I wish JKJ had taken his chances, but I can understand why he didn't), but do you honestly think you won't be happy if they do return? I'm kinda getting mixed signals here. What if the rumor holds true? And please don't give me answers about Corday's jackass-ery and "they won't come back. I hope they throw the offer in his face" stuff. I've read all that already.
I really want to know how you think you'll react if, 6 months down the road, they accept an offer to come back, recurring or contract. No, I'm not trying to be a jackass myself. I'm trying to understand. Would you be elated? Would you be totally disappointed in them? Or would you take a "wait and see" attitude about how they'll be written?

Take my question as you will, but as they asked Jesus in JC Superstar "I really wanna know". Thank you. :)
I'd be disappointed and I do not plan to return to Days after January 23. That includes watching when it airs, watching repeats on Soapnet or DVR'in episodes. I would watch youtube clips of there return however as I love J&M more than I detest Days.

The disappointment would be because I am vindictive and I love when people who have been screwed have a chance to say, "take that" to the person or persons that wronged them. I would however understand how D&D would go back because I think they genuinely love the show and the cast. Deidre has never uttered a bad word about the show, s/l's, writers, direction, etc. While Drake has made some minor comments which can be considered slips because his mouth gets away from him sometimes, I think he too loves Days and working there.
I think those are the mixed signals that you are getting from Jarlena fans. We want Drake and Dee to say "FU" for some poetic justice but we know they love the show and we love them and understand their motivations.

That pretty much sums it up for me, lol.

The only thing that would totally surprise me and wake me up, would be if they had a good send off in January, some decent scenes and something a little special for all their years on the show. That would totally surprise me. Other then that, I don't think anything could or has surprised me, especially in the last five years.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kyrai

ladyofthelake
Dec 10 2008, 06:56 AM
I'm just curious, J&M fans. What if they DO come back? How do you think you'll react? I can understand your not wanting them to come back because of poor storylines or pride or whatever (heck, I wish JKJ had taken his chances, but I can understand why he didn't), but do you honestly think you won't be happy if they do return? I'm kinda getting mixed signals here. What if the rumor holds true? And please don't give me answers about Corday's jackass-ery and "they won't come back. I hope they throw the offer in his face" stuff. I've read all that already.
I really want to know how you think you'll react if, 6 months down the road, they accept an offer to come back, recurring or contract. No, I'm not trying to be a jackass myself. I'm trying to understand. Would you be elated? Would you be totally disappointed in them? Or would you take a "wait and see" attitude about how they'll be written?

Take my question as you will, but as they asked Jesus in JC Superstar "I really wanna know". Thank you. :)
I'd be elated and want to see them. I'd worry about the writing, but I'd hope for the best. If I didn't care about seeing them, I would've stopped watching earlier this year.

Much as I've hated the writing this year (for all, not just J&M), I just flat out like seeing J&M together. There are a lot of scenes that I enjoyed thoroughly this year, just not in context of the story, John standing up for Marlena at Dimera's dinner party, the scenes with Ej and Sami living in the mansion with John and Marlena, John with Claire, Nicole and John watching Marlena with Trent (hated Marlena and Trent but loved Nicole and John). The hospital scenes were wonderful and promising. I've always loved Anna, and her scenes were so adorable. Tony, Stefano, old John, Kayla, and Steve all had great scenes with John and/or Marlena. I could actually list a lot more scenes that I did like but I'm getting off track.

So despite what I felt about lack of continuity, lack of real stories with resolution, lack of relationships (Bo, Hope, Steve, Kayla, John, and Marlena SHOULD be intereacting), lack of character building in general, and changing history, I still loved seeing J&M this year, more John this year because I thought they wrote Marlena pretty horribly the second half of the year. She was wonderful early as the widow with a mission.

Before they were fired, I was actually happy to see them with Brady, elated to see Marlena cheer noticeably, and was getting my hopes up yet again that they'd have some direction with the story, any direction.

Basically, I'm hopeless because I just enjoy watching them...

As far as D&D and Corday are concerned, that's between them. If D&D are happy with it, it won't bother me, though I'll still hate Corday for being a moron with his parent's show. There are so many good characters with rich history to tap on this show, and they miss the boat every time.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Thank you, those of you who answered. :)

Trollmite

I am new here, but i do remember reading that KC was still paying Jim Reilly's estate millions of dollars and would be into the early part of 2009 and then maybe he would have some money freed up to bring someone back or do whatever else he wants to do. I just know when J/M are done, i am done. PS. Hello to everyone and i hope i can get back more often. Have enjoyed everyone's comments.

hops
Member Avatar

Trollmite
Dec 14 2008, 04:12 PM
I am new here, but i do remember reading that KC was still paying Jim Reilly's estate millions of dollars and would be into the early part of 2009 and then maybe he would have some money freed up to bring someone back or do whatever else he wants to do. I just know when J/M are done, i am done. PS. Hello to everyone and i hope i can get back more often. Have enjoyed everyone's comments.
I'm kinda of getting the impression that Deidre and Drake were let go, because they were the only vets with a storyline (although they've kind of abandoned it now). Bo and Hope are always on, and they could write them a story, but they haven't, and they don't use S&K. I don't think Days wants the vets on the frontburner period.

dooldooldool

Renee Dimera
Dec 8 2008, 04:10 PM
Back in a "diminished capacity"? How could they possibly be used any less and to any lesser effect than they are now?
Both will have between 140-150 appearances in 2008. That's almost three appearances weekly. They haven't been "used less", just used "badly",

dooldooldool

esp13
Dec 9 2008, 12:35 PM
Thank you for saying what I was trying to say so badly yesterday, Ellie. Some folks are talking as if this is a done deal and Drake and Dee have agreed to be "fired" for a few months and then come back. If that were the case, then I don't see why they wouldn't just say so?
It's called PUBLICITY.

There are so many factors at play, it's hard to really sort through them all.

First, ratings are down ALL OVER. In daytime, in primetime, in latenight.

Second, the ratings system is a mess. This isn;t 1962 or 1982 or even 2002. Very few viewers of non-sports eents actually watch their programs when they are actually aired. DVR usage has skyrocketed. I haven't seen any reports on DVR usage for daytime, but many primetime programs easily add 10-15% MORE viewers. And, contrary to what advertisers once thought, it's been found that DVR viewers watch MORE commercials than "live" viewers, therefore making DVR viewership much more valuable than routine scheduled-time viewership.

Three, NBC is in disaster mode. They are retooling left and right. Rumor has it that they will take a pass on future Olympics (unless held in the USA) because it costs too much. NBC just slashed 30% of its primetime cost by moving Jay Leno into Primetime with a cheap-to-produce progam (less than $2M a week).

Four, stars cost $$$$. If the DH's were making $1-2M a year EACH, that is a hefty cost for a show that now is supposed to be spending less than $1M a week to produce. Newbies get paid squat per the current AFTRA contract. Sure, we could fire Melanie. That would probably buy about one episode annually for Dee.

Five, any publicity is good publicity. Fire the stars, make the fans irate, and get covered on ET and Access Hollywood and every local news program for the first time in a decade. The DH "firings" were covered on NPR, for goodness sake. If you get folks talking about you, they will seek you out and tune in.

Six, the economy is in the tank and ad dollars are drying up. For the first time in history, we had two consecutive quarters of DECLINING media/advertising revenues. Local stations in some parts of the country are already unable to fill ad space. Get ready to see lots of PSAa and "call now to receive your TimeLife" infomercials.

Seven, the DH's are up there in years. If smart, they planned well. After all, Drake does live in a Malibu Estate and Dee pays alimony to her ex-. They may be upset about how this all went down, or they may feigning "upset" to play along. After all, this is the same crop of folks who sent a "fired" Drake to Australia last year to promote the show. There isn't much work for actors in Hollywood -- isn't actor unemployment something like 90%? And sixty-somethings aren't exactly in demand for "star" roles.

Eight, "stunt-casting" is here to stay. I remember how psyched I ws when I heard that Shirley Jones would be joining DOOL. Of course, few mentioned that she signed for a whopping SIX episodes. What a letdown, but merely a barometer of what is to come. We will see plenty of folks pop up fr limited runs. And legacy DOOL characters now fall into that category.

Ultimately, there are plenty of factors, most of which are driven by the current economic environment. If this were the 1980s and soaps were spending like drunken sailors, with location shoots and lavish sets and somewhat ridiculously high-priced "talent", then we could be pi$$ed. But its twnety-five years later and if the daytime drama plans to see another 25 years, major major major changes are needed.

Kyrai

hops
Dec 14 2008, 11:41 PM
Trollmite
Dec 14 2008, 04:12 PM
I'm kinda of getting the impression that Deidre and Drake were let go, because they were the only vets with a storyline (although they've kind of abandoned it now). Bo and Hope are always on, and they could write them a story, but they haven't, and they don't use S&K. I don't think Days wants the vets on the frontburner period.
I've been thinking the same way.

I think the NBC direction is cheap because they've dug themselves in a hole. If they don't want to invest in night time storytelling, why would they want to support it in daytime? If sleaze sells cheaper, they are gonna go with it. Times change. My question would be will the advertisers be ok with the demographics changes in the ratings.

koos

I don't think the drop in ratings in '07 was because "the vets" were backburned. I think it had more to do with all the other horrible storylines.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply