Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: John Callahan now on contract
Topic Started: Dec 14 2008, 05:04 PM (3,911 Views)
Jason47
Member Avatar

John Callahan (Dr. Baker) was placed on contract, effective December 1, 2008. As the year ends, there are 30 actors on contract. The complete list is below. http://www.jason47.com

Frances Reid - Alice Horton
Suzanne Rogers - Maggie Horton
Drake Hogestyn - John Black
Peggy McCay - Caroline Brady
Deidre Hall - Dr. Marlena Evans Black
James Reynolds - Abe Carver
Alison Sweeney - Sami Brady
Kristian Alfonso - Hope Williams Brady
Peter Reckell - Bo Brady
Lauren Koslow - Kate Roberts
Josh Taylor - Roman Brady
Bryan Dattilo - Lucas Horton
Rachel Melvin - Chelsea Brady
Darin Brooks - Max Brady
James Scott - E.J. DiMera
Stephen Nichols - Steve Johnson
Mary Beth Evans - Kayla Brady Johnson
Blake Berris - Nick Fallon
Jay Johnson - Philip Kiriakis
Shelley Hennig - Stephanie Johnson
Thaao Penghlis - Tony DiMera
Renee Jones - Lexie Carver
Nadia Bjorlin - Chloe Lane
Shawn Christian - Dr. Daniel Jonas
Arianne Zucker - Nicole Walker
Molly Burnett - Melanie Layton
Joseph Mascolo - Stefano DiMera
Galen Gering - Rafe Hernandez
Eric Martsolf - Brady Black
John Callahan - Dr. Baker
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

brimike

I can already sense where this thread will head...

Poor Jarlena fans... you have my condolences.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

brimike
Dec 14 2008, 05:21 PM

Not to mention Blake Berris fans.

jane1978

Paxton
Dec 14 2008, 05:28 PM
brimike

I donīt understand what should Jarlena or Nick fans be angry. It only means they will need the character for a longer time and itīs less expensive to put the actor on contract than to pay him for each appearance as day player.

brimike

It's actually less expensive to keep him on recurring and pay him per show, as opposed to guaranteeing him a certain number of episodes every week, and then having to pay him even if they don't use him. That's why so many front-burner characters on soaps these days are non-contract.

Ellie

jane1978
Dec 14 2008, 05:39 PM
Paxton
brimike

I donīt understand what should Jarlena or Nick fans be angry. It only means they will need the character for a longer time and itīs less expensive to put the actor on contract than to pay him for each appearance as day player.
I think the issue is that it shows 'TPTB's' lack of commitment to the actors currently on the show. The writers seem to be constructing stories around new actors while they're at the same time firing current ones. I wouldn't say I'm angry about this, just sad that those in charge obviously have no clue how valuable many in their current cast are.

jane1978

brimike
Dec 14 2008, 05:42 PM
It's actually less expensive to keep him on recurring and pay him per show, as opposed to guaranteeing him a certain number of episodes every week, and then having to pay him even if they don't use him. That's why so many front-burner characters on soaps these days are non-contract.
I donīt think so. First, nobody knows whatīs inside his contract. He is not exactly a star and even admitted himself he is happy to even have a job, so he probably has just a standart newbie-like contract with a minimum guarantee and six week cycle.

And the day player are paid more for a shooting day than newbie contract players, itīs even a part of the union rules. Besides this is nothing new. Or Iīm the only one who remembers all the "contract players" Sheffer add to the show during the Shelle island story only to be unrecemoniously fired as soon as the story ended? There is really nothing to worry about, itīs just a financial precaution.

Ponz
Member Avatar

Vin Ramsell, Carson Palmer, Maya, "OPS", Eugenia, Paul, Martino Vitali, Dr. Baker, Dr. Taylor etc. etc. Excessive reliance on guest stars is one of Higley's most annoying traits.

jane1978

Ellie
Dec 14 2008, 05:44 PM
jane1978
Dec 14 2008, 05:39 PM
Paxton
brimike

I think the issue is that it shows 'TPTB's' lack of commitment to the actors currently on the show. The writers seem to be constructing stories around new actors while they're at the same time firing current ones. I wouldn't say I'm angry about this, just sad that those in charge obviously have no clue how valuable many in their current cast are.
Donīt understand. The show needs an OBGyn for Nicol, someone who will get along with her game till she "delivers". Itīs not a few days appearance and they need to be sure the actor will be available whenever needed so they gave him a longer deal. IMO itīs a normal production decision any producer has to make every day and itīs no way connected with the decision to let go BB or DH/DDH.

Edited by jane1978, Dec 14 2008, 06:01 PM.

hops
Member Avatar

Ponz
Dec 14 2008, 05:57 PM
Vin Ramsell, Carson Palmer, Maya, "OPS", Eugenia, Paul, Martino Vitali, Dr. Baker, Dr. Taylor etc. etc. Excessive reliance on guest stars is one of Higley's most annoying traits.
Exactly!

Ellie

jane1978
Dec 14 2008, 06:01 PM
Donīt understand. The show needs a OBGyn for Nicol, someone who will get along with her game till she "delivers". Itīs not a few days appearance and they need to be sure the actor will be available whenever needed so they gave him a longer deal. IMO itīs a normal production decision any producer has to make every day and itīs no way connected with the decision to let go BB or DH/DDH.
What Dena Higley has done is built a story which involves Nicole and her OB blackmailing each other. Higley was apparently not bothered by the fact that the OB was not on the show; she probably figured she'd simply cast a new one. As Ponz pointed out, Higley relies on new characters to play important roles in many of her stories. In my mind, this contrasts sharply with the approach taken by let's say JER, who built stories using the current cast as the principal characters. Who did Kristen get to keep quiet? Vivian and Ivan, who were already on the show. The story made a difference in the lives of their characters and served to change the lives of most of the characters on the canvas. Higley's little "events" do none of that, and in addition they are a budget drain on the show because of all the casting needed. This news about John Callahan is a perfect illustration of how in many ways, Higley is ruining the show.

e83talus
Member Avatar

Yes Days, go on and sign this...person....whoever he is and get rid of the people who are most associated with Days! See if saving money in signing people that fans don't know or care about will save this show.

People watch soaps for fantasy, good story-telling, and yes continuity of characters you think you know. You can introduce new people into the mix, but what gets fans interested in those new characters are their interactions with old characters we care about. The interactions however have to be important. Dr. Dan has been an absolute sleazefest since his introduction. Melanie is simply....annoying...go away already. Dr. Charlotte is a Marlena-wanna-be...get real. You can't jyst throw goodlooking people on screenand think you viewrs are simoly mindless days fans. They have preferences and opinions that don't go with the line TPTB line "we will do what we want and they will simply watch it.This is a pattern that is not working. Somebody should get a clue. :soapbox:

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

jane1978
Dec 14 2008, 05:54 PM
I donīt think so. First, nobody knows whatīs inside his contract. He is not exactly a star and even admitted himself he is happy to even have a job, so he probably has just a standart newbie-like contract with a minimum guarantee and six week cycle.

And the day players are paid more for a shooting day than newbie contract players, itīs even a part of the union rules. Besides this is nothing new. Or Iīm the only one who remembers all the "contract players" Sheffer add to the show during the Shelle island story only to be unrecemoniously fired as soon as the story ended? There is really nothing to worry about, itīs just a financial precaution.

I can guarantee you that Callahan is not working for scale having been the the business for over 20 years.

Also, a day player does not make more per day that a contract player.

Scale for a principal performer (over 10 lines) is $891 per episode
Scale for a day player (less than 10 lines) is $344 for episode

Edited by Rick, Dec 14 2008, 06:54 PM.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Ponz

Who was OPS?

Out of all those named above I only liked Eugenia and Dr. Taylor so far, I think the girl who played Eugenia was a good actress and had wished that they had kept her around and developed her as a permanent character. Martino Vitali would have been a great love interest for Kate had they decided to keep him around longer, the only other thing I've seen Joe Penny doing is those Jane Doe movies on The Hallmark Channel.

Does this mean John Callahan will get to have the real hair and makeup people work on him now? ^o)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Rick
Dec 14 2008, 06:53 PM
jane1978
Dec 14 2008, 05:54 PM

And the day players are paid more for a shooting day than newbie contract players, itīs even a part of the union rules. Besides this is nothing new. Or Iīm the only one who remembers all the "contract players" Sheffer add to the show during the Shelle island story only to be unrecemoniously fired as soon as the story ended? There is really nothing to worry about, itīs just a financial precaution.

I can guarantee you that Callahan is not working for scale having been the the business for over 20 years.

Also, a day player does not make more per day that a contract player.

Scale for a principal performer (over 10 lines) is $891 per episode
Scale for a day player (less than 10 lines) is $344 for episode

Yeah but do you really think he is getting vet pay? I don't think so. Even if he is, he probably has a low guarantee so he's not very expensive.

I think what Jane said is right. They want to make sure they keep him around because he is talented rather then lose him and have to hire someone else or hire a inexperienced actor. I think this is very much like the contract players that came on under Hogan.

I don't think this is a long-term thing and I've heard from a few people over the years (don't ask who because it's people off the boards who I have to sort of protect LOL) that it's much easier and more preferred, particularly now, to put someone on contract. It protects the show from losing the actor and it's cheaper then recurring in that you don't have to pay them everytime they appear.

I think it's unfair to lump this in with the cast cuts. The guy won't last long. Nothing the show has done so far suggests him becoming a permanent player beyond the Nicole story. I think you can make the case that Dr. Taylor may but not Dr. Baker.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Dec 14 2008, 06:08 PM
jane1978
Donīt understand. The show needs a OBGyn for Nicol, someone who will get along with her game till she "delivers". Itīs not a few days appearance and they need to be sure the actor will be available whenever needed so they gave him a longer deal. IMO itīs a normal production decision any producer has to make every day and itīs no way connected with the decision to let go BB or DH/DDH.
What Dena Higley has done is built a story which involves Nicole and her OB blackmailing each other. Higley was apparently not bothered by the fact that the OB was not on the show; she probably figured she'd simply cast a new one. As Ponz pointed out, Higley relies on new characters to play important roles in many of her stories. In my mind, this contrasts sharply with the approach taken by let's say JER, who built stories using the current cast as the principal characters. Who did Kristen get to keep quiet? Vivian and Ivan, who were already on the show. The story made a difference in the lives of their characters and served to change the lives of most of the characters on the canvas. Higley's little "events" do none of that, and in addition they are a budget drain on the show because of all the casting needed. This news about John Callahan is a perfect illustration of how in many ways, Higley is ruining the show.
Not true. Hogan and Higley did it more then others but every writer does this. It's not always a known character that plays principal roles in story and, with Nicole's story, it's hard to do that without her being exposed. Vivian and Ivan became allies because she could blackmail them.

JER did this too only, back then, most times the character was recurring. Now you see shows, especially Days, go contract with them for reasons already mentioned. The difference is shows, including Days, do it more frequently with unknown characters now then they used to. It's not really an issue IMO because Dr. Baker won't last. If they start developing a backstory for him, then I think people have reason to worry.

daysfan
Member Avatar

At first, I didn't like this because in a way(even if he's not gonna be given all the money in the world) it adds more to Days budget, but actually I agree with Tim that he won't last. In a business way, I see why they did this, it reminds me of the short time that Ava and her twin that played baby Claire back in 2007. It will probably cost less than having him on recurring and on alot.

And I'm almost sure he'll be gone within a few months.

Kenny
Member Avatar

I'm not happy about this. But this is Days, so I'm not surprised.

Ponz
Member Avatar

Rhiannon
Dec 14 2008, 07:11 PM
Ponz

Who was OPS?

IIRC, he was John's contact at the ISA and was helping investigate Tony (Andre).

Ponz
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 14 2008, 07:20 PM
Ellie
Dec 14 2008, 06:08 PM
jane1978
Not true. Hogan and Higley did it more then others but every writer does this. It's not always a known character that plays principal roles in story and, with Nicole's story, it's hard to do that without her being exposed. Vivian and Ivan became allies because she could blackmail them.

What about Kayla? It could be written as the classic tension between professional ethics (patient/doctor confidentiality) vs. personal morality (the father's right to know). S&K's history with EJ might add another dimension to the story. It's not brilliant but is surely preferable to a cartoonish day player who sells babies. And since Nichols and Evans are likely well below their guarantees this cycle, it wouldn't put additional strain on the budget.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply