Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: John Callahan now on contract
Topic Started: Dec 14 2008, 05:04 PM (3,913 Views)
Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

I know it's open season on DAYS now, ( and I certainly understand why) but obviously he is going to play a major part of the EJ, Nicole, Brady story. They like the actor enough that they put him on contract so he can't take any other jobs. Do you REALLY think this is going to be a long term character? And it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he is taking a newbie salary. It's not as if he is in high demand these days.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ponz
Dec 14 2008, 08:27 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 14 2008, 07:20 PM
Ellie
Dec 14 2008, 06:08 PM
jane1978
Dec 14 2008, 06:01 PM
Donīt understand. The show needs a OBGyn for Nicol, someone who will get along with her game till she "delivers". Itīs not a few days appearance and they need to be sure the actor will be available whenever needed so they gave him a longer deal. IMO itīs a normal production decision any producer has to make every day and itīs no way connected with the decision to let go BB or DH/DDH.
What Dena Higley has done is built a story which involves Nicole and her OB blackmailing each other. Higley was apparently not bothered by the fact that the OB was not on the show; she probably figured she'd simply cast a new one. As Ponz pointed out, Higley relies on new characters to play important roles in many of her stories. In my mind, this contrasts sharply with the approach taken by let's say JER, who built stories using the current cast as the principal characters. Who did Kristen get to keep quiet? Vivian and Ivan, who were already on the show. The story made a difference in the lives of their characters and served to change the lives of most of the characters on the canvas. Higley's little "events" do none of that, and in addition they are a budget drain on the show because of all the casting needed. This news about John Callahan is a perfect illustration of how in many ways, Higley is ruining the show.
Not true. Hogan and Higley did it more then others but every writer does this. It's not always a known character that plays principal roles in story and, with Nicole's story, it's hard to do that without her being exposed. Vivian and Ivan became allies because she could blackmail them.

What about Kayla? It could be written as the classic tension between professional ethics (patient/doctor confidentiality) vs. personal morality (the father's right to know). S&K's history with EJ might add another dimension to the story. It's not brilliant but is surely preferable to a cartoonish day player who sells babies. And since Nichols and Evans are likely well below their guarantees this cycle, it wouldn't put additional strain on the budget.
And open the door to people claiming it's character assassination for Kayla to do that? That wouldn't work, especially with the fans.

The best way is for it to be someone like Dr. Baker and, in all honesty, he's not going to last so it's not that big of an issue.

brimike

^^^ I would kinda love it if somebody had something on Stephanie (too bad they already played the "We killed Ford" confession in February), and Nicole found that out and used it against Kayla to keep her mouth shut. NOW we're talking "umbrella story"

Alligato
Member Avatar

What about Dr. Dan?
Chloe and Dr. Dan have a one night stand that Nicole spies on, then she asks him to keep quiet with the fake baby or she will tell Lucas/Kate about the affair and it will kill Kate, so Dr. Dan keeps her secret.

That way, it not only affects Nicole/EJ, but also Kate/Lucas/Dr.Dan and Chloe...and even Brady might be pissed enough at Chloe for stringing Lucas along while screwing Dr. Dan that he might not even mind the blackmail.

Then after the fall out when all is revealed in a big sweeping moment, Nicole comes back to apologize to Dr. Dan because she was so mental about losing the baby, and they have a relationship as the two defeated loners.

And we don't need a new character that we could give a crap about.

brimike

^^^ Again, another good idea. It makes Dan and Chloe's attraction more of a plot point, which is good, since no one's buying it as This Great Romance.

Nice, Alligato! :-)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Alligato
Dec 14 2008, 10:39 PM
What about Dr. Dan?
Chloe and Dr. Dan have a one night stand that Nicole spies on, then she asks him to keep quiet with the fake baby or she will tell Lucas/Kate about the affair and it will kill Kate, so Dr. Dan keeps her secret.

That way, it not only affects Nicole/EJ, but also Kate/Lucas/Dr.Dan and Chloe...and even Brady might be pissed enough at Chloe for stringing Lucas along while screwing Dr. Dan that he might not even mind the blackmail.

Then after the fall out when all is revealed in a big sweeping moment, Nicole comes back to apologize to Dr. Dan because she was so mental about losing the baby, and they have a relationship as the two defeated loners.

That could still happen.

Who knows. I mean, the Doctor may just be one part of this. It seems Tony gets involved in Nicole's scheme too somehow so this may end up bigger yet. Once the show figures out who will be here in 3 months, they can move people into and out of stories appropriately. The unstable environment does not help the stories, which is why during regime changes or cuts things seem to be in limbo for the most part..

Mason

I'm not surprised in the least. I really fucking hate this show, sometimes.

hops
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 14 2008, 11:03 PM
Alligato
Dec 14 2008, 10:39 PM
What about Dr. Dan?

That could still happen.

Who knows. I mean, the Doctor may just be one part of this. It seems Tony gets involved in Nicole's scheme too somehow so this may end up bigger yet. Once the show figures out who will be here in 3 months, they can move people into and out of stories appropriately. The unstable environment does not help the stories, which is why during regime changes or cuts things seem to be in limbo for the most part..
What is there excuse for John and Marlena? They knew they were getting rid of them months ago. They could finally write that love story, but instead they are on 1 day a week and most of their story is happening off screen. Are they just trying to really stick it to John and Marlena fans one more time. I don't really get it. I hear fans getting tired of the hold pattern and the same thing over and over. They could have given J&M at least 2 days and actually told a story. I don't think at this point it would have mattered to the TPTB one way or the other, but it could have made a few fans happy enough to stick around (maybe not me, lol, but others). You know one story where two characters are up front with each other, not playing games or jealous and there is emotion and history and a little romance.

Tammy
Member Avatar

This doesn't surprise me, and I dont care enough anymore for it to upset me lmao. However it will peeve me if they end up making him 'Rolf's 4th cousin twice removed on his fathers side' or some stupid shit like that just to give him a sl lol.

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 14 2008, 11:09 PM
I'm not surprised in the least. I really fucking hate this show, sometimes.
Only sometimes, Mason? :P

I just hope there's a good storyline dictated reason for making this a contract role. For example, I hope it has something to do with Ejole and a revelation that he took their baby.
Edited by DolceDiMera, Dec 15 2008, 12:42 AM.

dooldooldool

Both Stephen and MaryBeth are hovering around 100 shows for the year. If they have a two-days-a-week guarantee, then they are right on target.
Edited by dooldooldool, Dec 15 2008, 12:55 AM.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

People are getting too obsessed with the contract statuses of actors on these shows. Why's so and so not on contract, why's this person, bla bla bla.

The money being spent on Callahan doesnt compare to what was spent on Hall and Hogestyn, and as has been mentioned several times is just a business decision to protect the show during a short term role to keep them from having to recast or abreviate their story should the actor leave. Its something done in primetime when an actor's signed to a deal for a set number of episodes, as well as all the other soaps.

Why should Kayla or Dan be doing something out of character like blackmailing Nicole with a baby scam, just cause their actors already have contracts?! That makes absolutely no sense, even considering this is Days and Dena Higley.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Drew
Dec 15 2008, 01:21 AM
People are getting too obsessed with the contract statuses of actors on these shows. Why's so and so not on contract, why's this person, bla bla bla.

The money being spent on Callahan doesnt compare to what was spent on Hall and Hogestyn, and as has been mentioned several times is just a business decision to protect the show during a short term role to keep them from having to recast or abreviate their story should the actor leave. Its something done in primetime when an actor's signed to a deal for a set number of episodes, as well as all the other soaps.

Why should Kayla or Dan be doing something out of character like blackmailing Nicole with a baby scam, just cause their actors already have contracts?! That makes absolutely no sense, even considering this is Days and Dena Higley.

AMEN!! :hail:

FANTASTIC POST!! :rockon:

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

He'll be gone when the Nicole storyline is over..Don't see this as that big of a deal...I just wish he looked a little better..Age hasn't been his good to him..

King
Member Avatar

Ponz
Dec 14 2008, 05:57 PM
Vin Ramsell
VIN RAMSELL! LMAO!!!!!! Props to you for remembering that, Ponz!

This is baffling to me. So unnecessary, but if it's cost-effective...I guess it works. :-/

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Drew

You are one smart cookie. ;)

Ponz
Member Avatar

Drew

I don't care about Callahan's contract status or his earnings relative to D&D. That debate was just a catalyst to discuss Higley's creative approach to principal vs. non principal characters.

Quote:

Who said anything about Kayla "blackmailing" Nicole? Doctors, lawyers etc. are confronted with this dillemma on a regular basis. If any Kayla fans think the story would be wildly out of character, I'd like to hear from them.

In any event, the claim that Dr. Baker's role can only be filled by a non-principal character would be easier to swallow if Higley didn't display the same trait throughout her stories (e.g. why use Dr. Taylor for a role that Marlena could easily perform?). It's one thing for writers to employ short-term characters out of necessity but Higley clearly enjoys flooding the canvas with them.

Ponz
Member Avatar

dooldooldool
Dec 15 2008, 12:54 AM
Both Stephen and MaryBeth are hovering around 100 shows for the year. If they have a two-days-a-week guarantee, then they are right on target.
Their cycle begins in June, not January. They were on alot Feb-April but have been averaging far less than 2 episodes a week in the new cycle.

hops
Member Avatar

Ponz
Dec 15 2008, 08:08 AM

Who said anything about Kayla "blackmailing" Nicole? Doctors, lawyers etc. are confronted with this dillemma on a regular basis. If any Kayla fans think the story would be wildly out of character, I'd like to hear from them.

In any event, the claim that Dr. Baker's role can only be filled by a non-principal character would be easier to swallow if Higley didn't display the same trait throughout her stories (e.g. why use Dr. Taylor for a role that Marlena could easily perform?). It's one thing for writers to employ short-term characters out of necessity but Higley clearly enjoys flooding the canvas with them.
Exactly!

phloeishot
Member Avatar

TPTB are so stupid. They complain about money and then they hire actors/characters that aren't needed on the canvas. What happened to Dr. Bader?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply