Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: John Callahan now on contract
Topic Started: Dec 14 2008, 05:04 PM (3,959 Views)
Kyrai

Ponz
Dec 15 2008, 08:08 AM
Drew
Dec 15 2008, 01:21 AM
People are getting too obsessed with the contract statuses of actors on these shows. Why's so and so not on contract, why's this person, bla bla bla.

The money being spent on Callahan doesnt compare to what was spent on Hall and Hogestyn, and as has been mentioned several times is just a business decision to protect the show during a short term role to keep them from having to recast or abreviate their story should the actor leave. Its something done in primetime when an actor's signed to a deal for a set number of episodes, as well as all the other soaps.

I don't care about Callahan's contract status or his earnings relative to D&D. That debate was just a catalyst to discuss Higley's creative approach to principal vs. non principal characters.

Quote:

Why should Kayla or Dan be doing something out of character like blackmailing Nicole with a baby scam, just cause their actors already have contracts?! That makes absolutely no sense, even considering this is Days and Dena Higley.

Who said anything about Kayla "blackmailing" Nicole? Doctors, lawyers etc. are confronted with this dillemma on a regular basis. If any Kayla fans think the story would be wildly out of character, I'd like to hear from them.

In any event, the claim that Dr. Baker's role can only be filled by a non-principal character would be easier to swallow if Higley didn't display the same trait throughout her stories (e.g. why use Dr. Taylor for a role that Marlena could easily perform?). It's one thing for writers to employ short-term characters out of necessity but Higley clearly enjoys flooding the canvas with them.
Exactly! The writers don't even try to use what they have. They hire contract players, then they let go vets because 'they can't write for them'.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FanODays

The bottom line for me is that I don't care about this show anymore. I watch bits and pieces here and there but that is it. Its also pretty damned clear to me that this is beginning of the official end of Days (and perhaps NBC). I've seen nothing that leads me to believe there will be an improvement in the quality of the show or anything done to bring viewers back. Therefore Days will continue to hover around 2.0 in the ratings at best.

The economy is bad for everyone and costs are being cut but I also see alot of businesses doing things to lure new customers, sales, specials, rewards programs, etc. but not with Days. I've been saying it for years but Corday clearly doesn't get it and after the show that his parents started has been cancelled, he can continue to find others to blame, but I will always blame him.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I honestly wonder if there would be this much resentment about this doctor were not certain actors leaving the canvas. And, this doctor is NOT of Salem. I agree with Drew. This storyline would be a little more difficult had Nicole involved a familiar Salem doctor. Although, it might have been palatable involving Dr. Dan. People are already pissed at his obsession with sick women. What's adding blackmail to the plate?
Besides, we know the worth of a contract on Days. Less than the paper it's written on.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

FanODays
Dec 15 2008, 09:47 AM
The bottom line for me is that I don't care about this show anymore. I watch bits and pieces here and there but that is it. Its also pretty damned clear to me that this is beginning of the official end of Days (and perhaps NBC). I've seen nothing that leads me to believe there will be an improvement in the quality of the show or anything done to bring viewers back. Therefore Days will continue to hover around 2.0 in the ratings at best.

The economy is bad for everyone and costs are being cut but I also see alot of businesses doing things to lure new customers, sales, specials, rewards programs, etc. but not with Days. I've been saying it for years but Corday clearly doesn't get it and after the show that his parents started has been cancelled, he can continue to find others to blame, but I will always blame him.
Is it POSSIBLE, misguided or not, that adding these new faces to the canvas is a way to draw in NEW viewers? So many posters here see things through the eyes of a viewer of many years who has already been shat on too many times. Maybe they're looking to new viewers. I'm not sure where they'll find them. It's like any market plan for businesses.....some make it and some fail. By hiring these actors from other soaps, it could be that TPTB are trying to draw in the fans of these actors.
Businesses do it all the time. Unfortunately, not all their plans pan out. Remember the banking and auto industries?

Ellie

^ It's possible, but I think that Higley is scared of writing for who's already on the canvas, because she doesn't have the skills to do that. She thinks if she'll add new characters of her own creation, she might have a better chance at providing an adequate story for them. Hardly the best approach to soap writing, where viewer bases are in large part built on loyalty to certain characters and their histories.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ellie
Dec 15 2008, 12:44 PM
^ It's possible, but I think that Higley is scared of writing for who's already on the canvas, because she doesn't have the skills to do that. She thinks if she'll add new characters of her own creation, she might have a better chance at providing an adequate story for them. Hardly the best approach to soap writing, where viewer bases are in large part built on loyalty to certain characters and their histories.
No one's ever accused Higley of having common sense. ;)

FanODays

ladyofthelake
Dec 15 2008, 12:23 PM
FanODays

Is it POSSIBLE, misguided or not, that adding these new faces to the canvas is a way to draw in NEW viewers? So many posters here see things through the eyes of a viewer of many years who has already been shat on too many times. Maybe they're looking to new viewers. I'm not sure where they'll find them. It's like any market plan for businesses.....some make it and some fail. By hiring these actors from other soaps, it could be that TPTB are trying to draw in the fans of these actors.
Businesses do it all the time. Unfortunately, not all their plans pan out. Remember the banking and auto industries?
You could be right but if you are then the plan doesn't seem like a good one, not if you read boards where there is a lot of chatter about not caring about the new characters, wanting to see more of old ones, and boredom in general. Yes new products could help a failing company but the products must be of a certain quality which seems to be missing here.

Mason
Member Avatar

They should have just gotten some cheap no-name for the part and kept it a recurring role. This is totally unnecessary.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

FanODays
Dec 15 2008, 12:59 PM
ladyofthelake
FanODays

You could be right but if you are then the plan doesn't seem like a good one, not if you read boards where there is a lot of chatter about not caring about the new characters, wanting to see more of old ones, and boredom in general. Yes new products could help a failing company but the products must be of a certain quality which seems to be missing here.
And the boards are not a complete reflection of the whole viewing audience, just like the ratings (which show Days up vs last year but I digress). Someone is always left out like the person with no Nielson box or the person who doesn't go online to boards or the person who doesn't speak on boards for whatever reason. Not to mention many of the boards are fanbase-affiliated. Believe me, there are people out there who are not being heard or represented. Days DVR numbers in Sara Bibel's blog were very good, for example. It just goes to show you that while many are mad, just as many aren't and are watching the show. Hell, some people mad might be.

I agree with ladyofthelake and Drew. New characters are needed sometimes and people would be bitching if Kayla was involved in a scheme like that. Daniel would make sense but he would probably make people hate the story so why bother?

I also find it hilarious that some think Marlena should be fulfilling Charlotte's role because that would be unethical. Given how close Marlena is to John, it would be a major conflict and not good to do at all. Kayla pointed that out to her too the other day. This isn't the 80's or the 90's. J&M are not just getting to know each other or are in a place where they can work through something like this the proper way Marlena is not an unbiased party and her behavior has proven that she can't take this on properly without making it worse so how does it make sense to use Marlena? Maybe Dena could've brought back Laura Horton or some other past psychiatrist but using Marlena would've been stupid.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Dec 15 2008, 01:03 PM
They should have just gotten some cheap no-name for the part and kept it a recurring role. This is totally unnecessary.
Well, you have a casting director who likes to hire names and Callahan has worked with Tomlin before so it seemed to work.

People always used to complain about Days casting and now that they actually do a good job, it still gets complained about just because the guy got a contract, which we already know means shit on this show.

He will be gone in 3 months or so, if that. I really think it's being made to be a bigger issue then it should be. Dr. Taylor, on the other hand, people have a beef about because I can see that lasting, not that I would mind.

six
Member Avatar

Ponz
Dec 14 2008, 08:27 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 14 2008, 07:20 PM
Ellie
Dec 14 2008, 06:08 PM
jane1978
Dec 14 2008, 06:01 PM
Donīt understand. The show needs a OBGyn for Nicol, someone who will get along with her game till she "delivers". Itīs not a few days appearance and they need to be sure the actor will be available whenever needed so they gave him a longer deal. IMO itīs a normal production decision any producer has to make every day and itīs no way connected with the decision to let go BB or DH/DDH.
What Dena Higley has done is built a story which involves Nicole and her OB blackmailing each other. Higley was apparently not bothered by the fact that the OB was not on the show; she probably figured she'd simply cast a new one. As Ponz pointed out, Higley relies on new characters to play important roles in many of her stories. In my mind, this contrasts sharply with the approach taken by let's say JER, who built stories using the current cast as the principal characters. Who did Kristen get to keep quiet? Vivian and Ivan, who were already on the show. The story made a difference in the lives of their characters and served to change the lives of most of the characters on the canvas. Higley's little "events" do none of that, and in addition they are a budget drain on the show because of all the casting needed. This news about John Callahan is a perfect illustration of how in many ways, Higley is ruining the show.
Not true. Hogan and Higley did it more then others but every writer does this. It's not always a known character that plays principal roles in story and, with Nicole's story, it's hard to do that without her being exposed. Vivian and Ivan became allies because she could blackmail them.

What about Kayla? It could be written as the classic tension between professional ethics (patient/doctor confidentiality) vs. personal morality (the father's right to know). S&K's history with EJ might add another dimension to the story. It's not brilliant but is surely preferable to a cartoonish day player who sells babies. And since Nichols and Evans are likely well below their guarantees this cycle, it wouldn't put additional strain on the budget.
That would have been a much better story, and I don't see how Kayla's character would be hurt. They could have played off of her friendship with Lexie, and shown her wanting to set things right when Lexie talked about being excited about her soon to be born new niece, yet being unable to say anything. If anything people would be sympathetic to the tough spot she was in. Plus, the stayla fans could get to see their faves on the frontburner.

Nicole being a shady type of person who was born in raised in Salem could have already had connections to the type of person who'd sell a baby. No need for Kayla to be in that part of the story.
Edited by six, Dec 15 2008, 01:18 PM.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2008, 01:07 PM
I also find it hilarious that some think Marlena should be fulfilling Charlotte's role because that would be unethical. Given how close Marlena is to John, it would be a major conflict and not good to do at all. Kayla pointed that out to her too the other day. This isn't the 80's or the 90's. J&M are not just getting to know each other or are in a place where they can work through something like this the proper way Marlena is not an unbiased party and her behavior has proven that she can't take this on properly without making it worse so how does it make sense to use Marlena? Maybe Dena could've brought back Laura Horton or some other past psychiatrist but using Marlena would've been stupid.
In the 80's and 90's, Marlena hypnotized John. It brought them closer and provided some angst-y, dramatic scenes. This past spring, Marlena tried to hypnotize John again in her office (remember they showed those flashbacks), and he didn't remember anything. I think it would be a very nice nod to history at this point to let Marlena be the one to bring John's memory back in this way. It would respect the history and dynamic between the two characters as well.

In other words - if we're going to all of a sudden bring medical ethics and logic into Salem, lol, this plot point would not be a good place to start. Why not let Marlena and John get the sweet, character-based ending they deserve?

e83talus
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
FanODays
ladyofthelake
FanODays

And the boards are not a complete reflection of the whole viewing audience, just like the ratings (which show Days up vs last year but I digress). Someone is always left out like the person with no Nielson box or the person who doesn't go online to boards or the person who doesn't speak on boards for whatever reason. Not to mention many of the boards are fanbase-affiliated. Believe me, there are people out there who are not being heard or represented. Days DVR numbers in Sara Bibel's blog were very good, for example. It just goes to show you that while many are mad, just as many aren't and are watching the show. Hell, some people mad might be.

I agree with ladyofthelake and Drew. New characters are needed sometimes and people would be bitching if Kayla was involved in a scheme like that. Daniel would make sense but he would probably make people hate the story so why bother?

Isn't having sex with all of your female patients unethical?
Isn't it unethical to hide evidence in a case to protect your brother?
I think it may also be unethical to show up for your dead fathers patient appointments too.

Why would Days all of a sudden go with the ethical choice?

General Days fans can make all the excuses they want but you won't understand. This feels like a slap in the face to J&M fans especially when Marlena has been trying to help him all year and now all of a sudden some Marlena look a like shows up and does the exact same things she was doing including Hypnosis! And with less than 5 weeks before they leave....

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Dec 15 2008, 01:39 PM
PhoenixRising05
In the 80's and 90's, Marlena hypnotized John. It brought them closer and provided some angst-y, dramatic scenes. This past spring, Marlena tried to hypnotize John again in her office (remember they showed those flashbacks), and he didn't remember anything. I think it would be a very nice nod to history at this point to let Marlena be the one to bring John's memory back in this way. It would respect the history and dynamic between the two characters as well.

In other words - if we're going to all of a sudden bring medical ethics and logic into Salem, lol, this plot point would not be a good place to start. Why not let Marlena and John get the sweet, character-based ending they deserve?
Because it doesn't make sense given where Marlena is emotionally right now. I mean, she mentioned Kayla the other day about how she asked John to tell him details about his therapy. That isn't Marlena. This whole ordeal with John has her all over the place. Part of it is bad writing but part of it, too, is the fact that anyone who has gone through what they have would be all over the place. Marlena already tried to help him and it didn't work and she is having trouble with that because she was able to help before. I think it would make little sense to have her all of a sudden help him. I like the idea of Charlotte doing it and John surprising Marlena and them reuniting rather then her being there as he remembers because I feel that would take away from the emotional impact. I mean, what's better? Marlena helping him remember in some room and them just having this simple moment of reuniting or John remembering with Charlotte and surprising Marlena in the park or somewhere. There, she looks at him and can tell something is different...that the man she loves is back. She can then run into his arms and they will reunite. That is a reunion. Yes, your suggestion is true to history but I think with all the fans have been through with them, the more emotional impact you have the more satisfying it will be.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

e83talus
Dec 15 2008, 01:42 PM
PhoenixRising05
FanODays
ladyofthelake
FanODays

Isn't having sex with all of your female patients unethical?
Isn't it unethical to hide evidence in a case to protect your brother?
I think it may also be unethical to show up for your dead fathers patient appointments too.

Why would Days all of a sudden go with the ethical choice?

General Days fans can make all the excuses they want but you won't understand. This feels like a slap in the face to J&M fans especially when Marlena has been trying to help him all year and now all of a sudden some Marlena look a like shows up and does the exact same things she was doing including Hypnosis! And with less than 5 weeks before they leave....
It's not just about the ethics. It just doesn't work this time, as I explained above. I do understand what your saying. I just think it wouldn't be as good as handling it the way I explained and the way I hope it will be.

Tammy
Member Avatar

phloeishot
Dec 15 2008, 08:57 AM
What happened to Dr. Bader?
I believe she already lied about a pregnancy and that is why she is gone lmao. I can't remember, I just remember she did something unethical lmao.

e83talus
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2008, 01:45 PM
Ellie
Dec 15 2008, 01:39 PM
PhoenixRising05

Because it doesn't make sense given where Marlena is emotionally right now. I mean, she mentioned Kayla the other day about how she asked John to tell him details about his therapy. That isn't Marlena. This whole ordeal with John has her all over the place. Part of it is bad writing but part of it, too, is the fact that anyone who has gone through what they have would be all over the place. Marlena already tried to help him and it didn't work and she is having trouble with that because she was able to help before. I think it would make little sense to have her all of a sudden help him. I like the idea of Charlotte doing it and John surprising Marlena and them reuniting rather then her being there as he remembers because I feel that would take away from the emotional impact. I mean, what's better? Marlena helping him remember in some room and them just having this simple moment of reuniting or John remembering with Charlotte and surprising Marlena in the park or somewhere. There, she looks at him and can tell something is different...that the man she loves is back. She can then run into his arms and they will reunite. That is a reunion. Yes, your suggestion is true to history but I think with all the fans have been through with them, the more emotional impact you have the more satisfying it will be.
Pheonix, The problem that we J&M fans see in this is that we will have this forced triangle with John bonding with Dr. Charlotte and Marlena acting wacky until January 22. The scenario you described, with Higley writing this crap, will all take place on January 23 in between whiny Melanie and sleazy Dr. Dan scenes. It still won't work, but you keep the faith! :)
Edited by e83talus, Dec 15 2008, 02:03 PM.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2008, 01:45 PM
Tim, I'm not sure how to respond to this other than to say that there are fan boards with entire threads on "how should J&M reunite", and not one of them is your suggestion, lol - but almost all of them brought tears to my eyes. Fans with an intimate knowledge of J&M's history have come up with some very moving endings. None of them involve a third party. I think what most (not all, apparently) longtime viewers would look for is a very 'sappy' ending, an emotional reunion involving just the two of them. When John Black died last year, he died with Marlena at his bedside. His last words were to her. Now, what if a doctor had been there, administering a dose of painkillers to John when he coded? Might have made some sense medically, but to me it would have been emotionally void. John and Marlena do so well in emotional scenes, and their viewers are probably going to now be deprived of them forever. Would it be too much to ask for one more of these such moments between them? Sure, it would be for the purpose of giving fans what they want at this point... but I don't think that's a bad thing at all, especially where their favorite characters are being taken off the show.

six
Member Avatar

Tammy
Dec 15 2008, 01:52 PM
phloeishot
Dec 15 2008, 08:57 AM
What happened to Dr. Bader?
I believe she already lied about a pregnancy and that is why she is gone lmao. I can't remember, I just remember she did something unethical lmao.
Patrick paid her to pretend the dates fit for Ciara being his, instead of Bo's.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Well, I understand that but, to me, it's more fanbase pandering at the expense of the characters given how things are and is part of the reason the show is in the mess it's in. I mean, I see people complain about the writing yet some are proposing something that falls into that, at least IMO, just because two characters are leaving.

Then again, you do have a point. They are leaving and you want to make the fans happy. However, I just think it's better to handle it how I suggested. It seems to have a much bigger impact. It's probably because I'm not a die-hard fan and I've never been one for the "live and breathe" a certain couple or character mentality.

Who knows. They may not really be leaving entirely anyway so that could play a part too (and this is my persona assessment so I know people will disagree LOL).

Edited by PhoenixRising05, Dec 15 2008, 02:07 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply