Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: John Callahan now on contract
Topic Started: Dec 14 2008, 05:04 PM (3,924 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

FanODays
Dec 15 2008, 08:06 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2008, 06:28 PM
FanODays
Dec 15 2008, 05:52 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2008, 01:07 PM
FanODays
Dec 15 2008, 12:59 PM
ladyofthelake
Dec 15 2008, 12:23 PM
FanODays
Dec 15 2008, 09:47 AM
The bottom line for me is that I don't care about this show anymore. I watch bits and pieces here and there but that is it. Its also pretty damned clear to me that this is beginning of the official end of Days (and perhaps NBC). I've seen nothing that leads me to believe there will be an improvement in the quality of the show or anything done to bring viewers back. Therefore Days will continue to hover around 2.0 in the ratings at best.

The economy is bad for everyone and costs are being cut but I also see alot of businesses doing things to lure new customers, sales, specials, rewards programs, etc. but not with Days. I've been saying it for years but Corday clearly doesn't get it and after the show that his parents started has been cancelled, he can continue to find others to blame, but I will always blame him.
Is it POSSIBLE, misguided or not, that adding these new faces to the canvas is a way to draw in NEW viewers? So many posters here see things through the eyes of a viewer of many years who has already been shat on too many times. Maybe they're looking to new viewers. I'm not sure where they'll find them. It's like any market plan for businesses.....some make it and some fail. By hiring these actors from other soaps, it could be that TPTB are trying to draw in the fans of these actors.
Businesses do it all the time. Unfortunately, not all their plans pan out. Remember the banking and auto industries?
You could be right but if you are then the plan doesn't seem like a good one, not if you read boards where there is a lot of chatter about not caring about the new characters, wanting to see more of old ones, and boredom in general. Yes new products could help a failing company but the products must be of a certain quality which seems to be missing here.
And the boards are not a complete reflection of the whole viewing audience, just like the ratings (which show Days up vs last year but I digress). Someone is always left out like the person with no Nielson box or the person who doesn't go online to boards or the person who doesn't speak on boards for whatever reason. Not to mention many of the boards are fanbase-affiliated. Believe me, there are people out there who are not being heard or represented. Days DVR numbers in Sara Bibel's blog were very good, for example. It just goes to show you that while many are mad, just as many aren't and are watching the show. Hell, some people mad might be.

I agree with ladyofthelake and Drew. New characters are needed sometimes and people would be bitching if Kayla was involved in a scheme like that. Daniel would make sense but he would probably make people hate the story so why bother?

I also find it hilarious that some think Marlena should be fulfilling Charlotte's role because that would be unethical. Given how close Marlena is to John, it would be a major conflict and not good to do at all. Kayla pointed that out to her too the other day. This isn't the 80's or the 90's. J&M are not just getting to know each other or are in a place where they can work through something like this the proper way Marlena is not an unbiased party and her behavior has proven that she can't take this on properly without making it worse so how does it make sense to use Marlena? Maybe Dena could've brought back Laura Horton or some other past psychiatrist but using Marlena would've been stupid.
Days needs to do better than they are or else they will be cancelled (even though I think that decision has already been made), and that is the bottom line. The ratings may be up from last year but they still suck. New characters are fine, I agree with that but the big, big, big problem is that the writing for them sucks. They are cartoonish at times, annoying at others, and overall not really drawing in new viewers which should be the goal of Days. If all they set out to do is to save money then the show will be gone perhaps sooner than expected.

I get that there may be people out there watching, but the overall buzz is gone and boredom and criticism is at an all time high. Days has got to go beyond not making people mad, they need to get people interested and tuning back in.
People thought they would be cancelled this time and they got an 18 month renewal. Until the show actually gets canceled, I won't believe it. It's been on the brink since 1998 and that was when it was 2nd in HH.

Boredom and criticism may be high on DR and some other boards but what about off the boards? What about those on boards many don't frequent? What about those that don't count in the ratings or don't speak up on boards? Someone out there is enjoying and watching and that is my point. Not saying all is right with the world but something must be working with some people out there.
I've always figured that the boards are still a cross representation of all viewers. There is nothing fundamentally different between viewers who post and those who don't, we are all viewers or nonviewers with opinions. Its like presential polls, they are representational, not complete and while they have a margin of error, they still show a cross section. So for every viewer that posts there are x number of viewers who don't but share and opinion whether good or bad.

Yes, Days has been on the brink of cancellation for years but now its not just Days, networks are being open and blunt about not wanting soaps, especially NBC and the competition from other mediums has never been so high, and viewership for all soaps so low. I firmly believe that within a decade, TV will be completely different with shows released on the internet and then viewed via big screen monitors, some people already do that with you tube and ipod downloads. Add to that, the economic crisis we are facing which is worse than we have faced for decades and you have an entirely different scenario than in 1996 or even 2005 or 06 when they had their last renewal.

Which is why Days is baffling me, here they are supposedly fighting for their life and yet I see or hear of no big plans to get people watching on a regular basis or to find a way to keep the fans they have happy or at the very least, interested. They are cutting costs in order to meet budgets but their product is a failing one. Corday reminds me of the head of the big 3 automakers when they flew their private planes to WDC then cried poverty and blamed unions to help them get out of the mess they made.
You make a point but I think they are just being realistic. The soap audience is not coming back and I also think they know the DVR numbers and that more people are watching then indicated in the Nielson's. Hell, look at primetime. Numbers are down there too. TV, in general, is suffering and I think your right about the future. I think the soaps are just trying to stay afloat in hopes that something will come along to save them. At the very least, they can squeeze more out of them. I think the mindset right now is simply survival and trying to stay on and, hopefully, things get better at some point, although doubtful.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

hoochielicious
Member Avatar
Queen Hoochie

brimike
Dec 14 2008, 05:42 PM
It's actually less expensive to keep him on recurring and pay him per show, as opposed to guaranteeing him a certain number of episodes every week, and then having to pay him even if they don't use him. That's why so many front-burner characters on soaps these days are non-contract.
exactly.

hoochielicious
Member Avatar
Queen Hoochie

Ellie
Dec 14 2008, 05:44 PM
jane1978
Dec 14 2008, 05:39 PM
Paxton
Dec 14 2008, 05:28 PM
brimike
Dec 14 2008, 05:21 PM
I can already sense where this thread will head...

Poor Jarlena fans... you have my condolences.
Not to mention Blake Berris fans.
I donīt understand what should Jarlena or Nick fans be angry. It only means they will need the character for a longer time and itīs less expensive to put the actor on contract than to pay him for each appearance as day player.
I think the issue is that it shows 'TPTB's' lack of commitment to the actors currently on the show. The writers seem to be constructing stories around new actors while they're at the same time firing current ones. I wouldn't say I'm angry about this, just sad that those in charge obviously have no clue how valuable many in their current cast are.
Yep. It's been that way for years.

I knew Corday was going to hire someone. He always does when he fires someone. I don't call that "cost cutting." The cast is too big already to throw another new character in the mix. His character is totally unnecessary. Callahan's totally lost his looks imho.

squee
Member Avatar

brimike
It's actually less expensive to keep him on recurring and pay him per show, as opposed to guaranteeing him a certain number of episodes every week, and then having to pay him even if they don't use him. That's why so many front-burner characters on soaps these days are non-contract.
Not really, his guarantee could only be 2 shows per month. But what it does is guarantee the show that he is available to them, so if they want to write a short term pointless story "arc" (read: anything written by Dena) then they know he will be around to do it. And since it would be within the first year of a new contract, they can still cut him loose after 13 weeks (or less if they've fulfilled the guarantee)

It's a win-win for the show

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

hoochielicious
Dec 15 2008, 08:52 PM
brimike
exactly.
you dont know what the financial stipulations of the contract are. It could be a flat weekly rate that could end up being cheaper than paying for each show for all we know. People seem to be making alot of assumptions like they know everything about how the biz works when they really dont, and its getting silly. Including that just because he's ordered a certain way in the show's credits he even has a contract. Days has made many fuck ups with its cast list, its not like we even have show or mag confirmation of this contract, its compensation, or its length.
Edited by Drew, Dec 15 2008, 09:16 PM.

hops
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2008, 08:39 PM
hops
I have a question for those that think fanbases shouldn't want what they want (meaning a decent story for their couple, and like it or not, for over 20 years Days was a soap for couples (maybe not anymore))..... if you like the show regardless of who is on and what stories are told, why are fanbases a problem? Days had quite a stong audience in the 90's, early 2000's and had vocal fanbases then too.
Again, no one is saying that.

I don't hate all people who love a couple or character. I hate the rabid psychopaths who want their couple 24/7 and think the show lives and dies on that one couple. I don't like the people who think the show always has to cave to them because their wants and needs are superior to the rest of the audience. That bothers me and I won't even say it's hate as much as frustrating.

I'm not accusing anyone of doing that here. I understand where many of you are coming from because you are losing your faves. However, what I was trying to emphasize was the other side of the issue. A bulk of the audience is not interested in some of the things you and other J&M fans are. There is more to Days then just J&M for some of us and some of us watch for the whole show. I also emphasizing how the whole picture has to be acknowledged. It's not as black and white as Higley being to blame or not understanding the fans or whatever. As has been well documented, there are clashes all the time and, in this day and age, a HW has to struggle to get there vision across unlike in the past. It's not that easy and that is the difference between now and the 90/early 2000's. The writer has interference to deal with but not so much that most of their vision could not get onscreen. Not to mention fans were more patient and willing to give things a chance. Not saying fans are not justified in their lack of faith but some do condemn just because of who is writing or based on vague spoilers. We are in an era where people want what they want now. They are not willing to wait. You also have so many fans with different wants and needs that it's hard to please everyone yet Corday tries and the result is watered down show. He is constantly changing stories because he panics when he sees some fans threatening a boycott. The problem is Days has had so many different writers over the past 20 years that everyone wants different types of stories and characters and you can't satisfy them all. The sad part is Corday doesn't listen to the right fans. He listens to the irrational ones and that is why he makes most of the stupid decisions he does.
I totally get that. I watch for J&M and I realize others are general fans. I try not to speak in broad terms or make it seem that what I want is what everyone else wants, but I think my voice is just as valid as anyone elses. I think if you are a fan of a certain couple or characters, you just want something that honours them. If they have been written with a history or a set of values, when that is taken away for a plot point, ya, I'm going to notice. And just for the record, lol, I think Corday listened to the wrong people when he fired J&M, lol.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

squee
Dec 15 2008, 09:04 PM
brimike
Not really, his guarantee could only be 2 shows per month. But what it does is guarantee the show that he is available to them, so if they want to write a short term pointless story "arc" (read: anything written by Dena) then they know he will be around to do it. And since it would be within the first year of a new contract, they can still cut him loose after 13 weeks (or less if they've fulfilled the guarantee)

It's a win-win for the show

Exactly and I have to agree with Drew too.

Even if he is making decent money, his guarantee may be low so they only use him when they have to. It's just a way of making sure he is there for the story and a cost effective measure.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

hops
Dec 15 2008, 09:11 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 15 2008, 08:39 PM
hops
I have a question for those that think fanbases shouldn't want what they want (meaning a decent story for their couple, and like it or not, for over 20 years Days was a soap for couples (maybe not anymore))..... if you like the show regardless of who is on and what stories are told, why are fanbases a problem? Days had quite a stong audience in the 90's, early 2000's and had vocal fanbases then too.
Again, no one is saying that.

I don't hate all people who love a couple or character. I hate the rabid psychopaths who want their couple 24/7 and think the show lives and dies on that one couple. I don't like the people who think the show always has to cave to them because their wants and needs are superior to the rest of the audience. That bothers me and I won't even say it's hate as much as frustrating.

I'm not accusing anyone of doing that here. I understand where many of you are coming from because you are losing your faves. However, what I was trying to emphasize was the other side of the issue. A bulk of the audience is not interested in some of the things you and other J&M fans are. There is more to Days then just J&M for some of us and some of us watch for the whole show. I also emphasizing how the whole picture has to be acknowledged. It's not as black and white as Higley being to blame or not understanding the fans or whatever. As has been well documented, there are clashes all the time and, in this day and age, a HW has to struggle to get there vision across unlike in the past. It's not that easy and that is the difference between now and the 90/early 2000's. The writer has interference to deal with but not so much that most of their vision could not get onscreen. Not to mention fans were more patient and willing to give things a chance. Not saying fans are not justified in their lack of faith but some do condemn just because of who is writing or based on vague spoilers. We are in an era where people want what they want now. They are not willing to wait. You also have so many fans with different wants and needs that it's hard to please everyone yet Corday tries and the result is watered down show. He is constantly changing stories because he panics when he sees some fans threatening a boycott. The problem is Days has had so many different writers over the past 20 years that everyone wants different types of stories and characters and you can't satisfy them all. The sad part is Corday doesn't listen to the right fans. He listens to the irrational ones and that is why he makes most of the stupid decisions he does.
I totally get that. I watch for J&M and I realize others are general fans. I try not to speak in broad terms or make it seem that what I want is what everyone else wants, but I think my voice is just as valid as anyone elses. I think if you are a fan of a certain couple or characters, you just want something that honours them. If they have been written with a history or a set of values, when that is taken away for a plot point, ya, I'm going to notice. And just for the record, lol, I think Corday listened to the wrong people when he fired J&M, lol.
And that is fair. You have the right to speak up and those that post like you do are not the problem. Your being rational and sensible but some out there are not like that and those are who I have the problem with.

Kyrai

Drew
Dec 15 2008, 09:05 PM
hoochielicious
Dec 15 2008, 08:52 PM
brimike
exactly.
you dont know what the financial stipulations of the contract are. It could be a flat weekly rate that could end up being cheaper than paying for each show for all we know. People seem to be making alot of assumptions like they know everything about how the biz works when they really dont, and its getting silly. Including that just because he's ordered a certain way in the show's credits he even has a contract. Days has made many fuck ups with its cast list, its not like we even have show or mag confirmation of this contract, its compensation, or its length.
I agree I have no idea how all this works, but I thought this was confirmed. I don't know who really knows anything, but do we know if the rate is per episode?

It seems to me that whether recurring or not, if you could use a person already on contract vs. having another two people on contract, that using the one person well would be cheaper than having three people on contract. Assuming that the one person could handle everything.

Hypothetically using Kayla as an example. If Kayla could take the place of both doctors, would it not be cheaper to use her, especially if these roles don't require a lot of screen time per ep so she could cover both functions in the same episode? I can't imagine Nicole being on the screen with the doctor a long time in any given ep except for maybe a big final confrontation. Similarly, having Kayla in an episode with J&M would add layers to the scenes anyway.

If they are hiring new characters because they want to replace the old with the young, that's a different issue. In that case, all the vets except Bope may be gone. But assuming they do want to make better use of the vets, shouldn't they be trying to write stories to incorporate them into the stories vs. just grabbing people for key roles?

I feel like these writers are just lazy, not wanting to fool with building relationships, tying stories together or just not competent enough to handle threading stories (I actually don't think they can handle one story well, so I think its at least incompetence, maybe incompetence and laziness).

And for the record, I'm not against any actor personally. I'm speaking from a budget issue. It just seems like they'd rather give stories to Payla, Tanna, Bope if they fit over a random newcomer that is a throway who is only going to be on a few months. Obviously I wouldn't make Bo a serial killer, but if there was need for a cop, I'd use Bo, Hope, Roman, Abe, or Steve if I could vs. writing in an out of state cop. I always loved the relationships on the show. I can think of so many regulars that I'd have preferred to help John, not from dislike of Charlotte but because I'd like those relationships restored before they go. Abe used to be John's good friend. He knew Lexie from her early days on the force when he was her commander. I'd have loved for Lexie and Abe to have tried to help John. It would have been so easy for her to stumble upon Stefano's pawn plans, and have her face the issue of going against Stefano, perhaps enlisting EJ or Tony, anything that brought people together. So many ways this could have been an exciting story vs. yet another triangle-ish story. I honestly don't mind the character of Charlotte, but I dislike that she's replacing a character who has history with John and Marlena that I'd like to see more given the short time we have.

I guess I'm still frustrated that I can think of so many ways they could get John and Marlena together and involve core characters, and they bring in an outsider because the writers don't seem to understand anything that isn't a triangle. I guess the crux of the matter is are they trying to replace the vets or do they really want to use them. Given the state of NBC and what we're seeing, it seems like the direction is replacing them all, and soaps just not being what they once were. I just need to learn to accept it vs. wish for something that isn't going to happen.

Mason

I just don't see why it's so important to keep Callahan locked in the role. It's such a minor part, who cares if he decided not to continue (which is unlikely anyway, given the economy and his own job prospects)? Just recast and move on.

hops
Member Avatar

Kyrai
Dec 15 2008, 10:00 PM
I agree I have no idea how all this works, but I thought this was confirmed. I don't know who really knows anything, but do we know if the rate is per episode?

It seems to me that whether recurring or not, if you could use a person already on contract vs. having another two people on contract, that using the one person well would be cheaper than having three people on contract. Assuming that the one person could handle everything.

Hypothetically using Kayla as an example. If Kayla could take the place of both doctors, would it not be cheaper to use her, especially if these roles don't require a lot of screen time per ep so she could cover both functions in the same episode? I can't imagine Nicole being on the screen with the doctor a long time in any given ep except for maybe a big final confrontation. Similarly, having Kayla in an episode with J&M would add layers to the scenes anyway.

If they are hiring new characters because they want to replace the old with the young, that's a different issue. In that case, all the vets except Bope may be gone. But assuming they do want to make better use of the vets, shouldn't they be trying to write stories to incorporate them into the stories vs. just grabbing people for key roles?

I feel like these writers are just lazy, not wanting to fool with building relationships, tying stories together or just not competent enough to handle threading stories (I actually don't think they can handle one story well, so I think its at least incompetence, maybe incompetence and laziness).

And for the record, I'm not against any actor personally. I'm speaking from a budget issue. It just seems like they'd rather give stories to Payla, Tanna, Bope if they fit over a random newcomer that is a throway who is only going to be on a few months. Obviously I wouldn't make Bo a serial killer, but if there was need for a cop, I'd use Bo, Hope, Roman, Abe, or Steve if I could vs. writing in an out of state cop. I always loved the relationships on the show. I can think of so many regulars that I'd have preferred to help John, not from dislike of Charlotte but because I'd like those relationships restored before they go. Abe used to be John's good friend. He knew Lexie from her early days on the force when he was her commander. I'd have loved for Lexie and Abe to have tried to help John. It would have been so easy for her to stumble upon Stefano's pawn plans, and have her face the issue of going against Stefano, perhaps enlisting EJ or Tony, anything that brought people together. So many ways this could have been an exciting story vs. yet another triangle-ish story. I honestly don't mind the character of Charlotte, but I dislike that she's replacing a character who has history with John and Marlena that I'd like to see more given the short time we have.

I guess I'm still frustrated that I can think of so many ways they could get John and Marlena together and involve core characters, and they bring in an outsider because the writers don't seem to understand anything that isn't a triangle. I guess the crux of the matter is are they trying to replace the vets or do they really want to use them. Given the state of NBC and what we're seeing, it seems like the direction is replacing them all, and soaps just not being what they once were. I just need to learn to accept it vs. wish for something that isn't going to happen.
Kyrai, you make some good points and bring up a few things that I was disappointed in. There was so much potential for some sort of Dimera story involving many characters. The problem was, most of them (not all) were vets. Which brings me to you last paragraph....I think it is the later...they really don't want to use the vets.

And has Abe had any scenes where he tried to reach out to John? That would have been in character, or asked Marlena if there was anything he could do? Maybe not initially, but later. Those three were always so close. John should have evolved, just by things he did. Bo, Hope, Abe, Lexie...his closest friends really didn't give him a chance and the writers didn't let him bond, even in a small way with anyone from his past (except Marlena, but very reluctantly and not in an endearing way). Now they are wrapping it up in a few weeks just by talking to a Dr. I would have liked to have seen him change by having others just notice when he did something unJawn like. His changes are all happening off screen and we are only seeing the end result. And I don't mean his sessions with the Dr., lol. I mean when John makes choices in his life and people that used to know him, notice the changes. It could have been good.
Edited by hops, Dec 15 2008, 10:31 PM.

Kyrai

hops
Dec 15 2008, 10:28 PM
Kyrai, you make some good points and bring up a few things that I was disappointed in. There was so much potential for some sort of Dimera story involving many characters. The problem was, most of them (not all) were vets. Which brings me to you last paragraph....I think it is the later...they really don't want to use the vets.

And has Abe had any scenes where he tried to reach out to John? That would have been in character, or asked Marlena if there was anything he could do? Maybe not initially, but later. Those three were always so close. John should have evolved, just by things he did. Bo, Hope, Abe, Lexie...his closest friends really didn't give him a chance and the writers didn't let him bond, even in a small way with anyone from his past (except Marlena, but very reluctantly and not in an endearing way). Now they are wrapping it up in a few weeks just by talking to a Dr. I would have liked to have seen him change by having others just notice when he did something unJawn like. His changes are all happening off screen and we are only seeing the end result. And I don't mean his sessions with the Dr., lol. I mean when John makes choices in his life and people that used to know him, notice the changes. It could have been good.
Thank you Hops! I think you get exactly what I'm trying to say.

I have no frustrations with new characters. I'm frustrated with seeing so many opportunities with existing characters that just aren't used. They've isolated John and Marlena all year when their friends should have been a part of this struggle. It's like all that history is just gone. One of my favorite scenes this year was Bo keeping John from killing himself. I've always loved Bo and John. Despite not remembering, John was at the hospital when Bo was at risk. It felt like deep down, John felt that core tie. Then suddenly a switch was thrown, and everyone in town just hated John. After all we went thru, the Hollingsworth story was basically just dropped. The ending was so contrived and unsatisfying. There was so much more it could have been with John/Vic/Phillip/Bo. I wanted to see the Kiriakis family as grey again. Now we have Phillip flirting in the office instead of being a businessman. Where was the 'everything isn't what it seems' angle with John? It was alluded to in spoilers. John told Kayla everything wasn't as it seemed. It just seemed dropped.

We didn't even get a scene for why Caroline hated John. She just glared at him as he ordered food. I have to assume she heard he was a drug dealer and turnd on him. She loved him like a son before this, and he's returned from the dead. Yet, she turns on him, and we don't even get an explanatory scene? She was always one to talk to family. Abe has just always been there for John, Bo, Marlena, everyone, through thick and thin. He's always seen both sides for his friends. He just suddenly disliked him, and we never even see interaction at all. She's upset over the mayor, but wouldn't Lexie be upset over what Stefano did to John? We're finally getting some good Lexie, but we should have had it all year. It's not that I'm upset with what was written. I'm upset with all that hasn't been written that should have been.

Its easy to just say J&M fans are never satisfied, but I think we have so many legitimate issues with this story, but no we're lumped in as crazy fans who want J&M 24/7. Hello!! I want Bo and Hope and Steve and Kayla and Abe and Lexie interacting with J&M. I don't want just J&M. I want a good story for all.

I think I look at stories and think, wouldn't this be great for so and so here. What a great tie-in this is. And the writers write a story for a character and think, who can we hire. It's just frustrating.

Edited by Kyrai, Dec 16 2008, 08:51 AM.

FanODays

hops
Fanbases are a given on any show and there will always be those who watch for only certain aspects of any given show, myself included. There are a few shows that I only watch for one component and if that's not there in an episode, I may not watch.

However, fanbases are very complex because even within a fanbase there are conflicting preferences and wants so just who is Corday or any producer supposed to listen to and how is that decision supposed to be made?

What should drive a show is the vision of the writers and producers, not demands from the fans but said writers and producers should be aware of comments being made but don't mistake that as my saying they should do what the viewers are demanding. I've always believed that fans will put up with a lot, even separation for their favs if the story is good but the problem with Days is that the stories aren't good, they are okay but a far cry from what I believe is the show's potential. The show currently lacks vision which is why so many characters have constantly changing personalities and histories. Higley tells her stories but they don't tie into a vision for the show on the much larger picture.

Kyrai

FanODays
Dec 16 2008, 09:04 AM
hops
Fanbases are a given on any show and there will always be those who watch for only certain aspects of any given show, myself included. There are a few shows that I only watch for one component and if that's not there in an episode, I may not watch.

However, fanbases are very complex because even within a fanbase there are conflicting preferences and wants so just who is Corday or any producer supposed to listen to and how is that decision supposed to be made?

What should drive a show is the vision of the writers and producers, not demands from the fans but said writers and producers should be aware of comments being made but don't mistake that as my saying they should do what the viewers are demanding. I've always believed that fans will put up with a lot, even separation for their favs if the story is good but the problem with Days is that the stories aren't good, they are okay but a far cry from what I believe is the show's potential. The show currently lacks vision which is why so many characters have constantly changing personalities and histories. Higley tells her stories but they don't tie into a vision for the show on the much larger picture.

Exactly. The writers and tptb should have and follow their vision.

The stories should make fans excited and invested. We should want to root for our characters. We should argue because we care. What one fan wants, another doesn't. It's human nature. You want people to care. The problem is the stories are just not good.

No one is making tptb do anything. They are the only ones with the power to shape the show. Blaming the fans is a copout on poor management and poor writing.

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Hiring new people when they can hardly afford the one's they have,but whatever,I don't give a f***,after Jan.23rd DOOL can bury itself further for all I care.

zyona

I loved John Callahan on all my children, but no offense to him I don't think he is needed here, if they get rid of him, one of the passion rejects (Rafe),Roman, Melanie, kate, Max and recast Stephanie I bet they can keep Marlena and John.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kyrai
Dec 16 2008, 08:49 AM
hops
Dec 15 2008, 10:28 PM

Thank you Hops! I think you get exactly what I'm trying to say.

I have no frustrations with new characters. I'm frustrated with seeing so many opportunities with existing characters that just aren't used. They've isolated John and Marlena all year when their friends should have been a part of this struggle. It's like all that history is just gone. One of my favorite scenes this year was Bo keeping John from killing himself. I've always loved Bo and John. Despite not remembering, John was at the hospital when Bo was at risk. It felt like deep down, John felt that core tie. Then suddenly a switch was thrown, and everyone in town just hated John. After all we went thru, the Hollingsworth story was basically just dropped. The ending was so contrived and unsatisfying. There was so much more it could have been with John/Vic/Phillip/Bo. I wanted to see the Kiriakis family as grey again. Now we have Phillip flirting in the office instead of being a businessman. Where was the 'everything isn't what it seems' angle with John? It was alluded to in spoilers. John told Kayla everything wasn't as it seemed. It just seemed dropped.

We didn't even get a scene for why Caroline hated John. She just glared at him as he ordered food. I have to assume she heard he was a drug dealer and turnd on him. She loved him like a son before this, and he's returned from the dead. Yet, she turns on him, and we don't even get an explanatory scene? She was always one to talk to family. Abe has just always been there for John, Bo, Marlena, everyone, through thick and thin. He's always seen both sides for his friends. He just suddenly disliked him, and we never even see interaction at all. She's upset over the mayor, but wouldn't Lexie be upset over what Stefano did to John? We're finally getting some good Lexie, but we should have had it all year. It's not that I'm upset with what was written. I'm upset with all that hasn't been written that should have been.

Its easy to just say J&M fans are never satisfied, but I think we have so many legitimate issues with this story, but no we're lumped in as crazy fans who want J&M 24/7. Hello!! I want Bo and Hope and Steve and Kayla and Abe and Lexie interacting with J&M. I don't want just J&M. I want a good story for all.

I think I look at stories and think, wouldn't this be great for so and so here. What a great tie-in this is. And the writers write a story for a character and think, who can we hire. It's just frustrating.

Ok...no one lumped you in with psycho fans LOL.

In fact, just for the record, I'm sure none of us were speaking directly at anyone here. I know I've made that clear in my posts too.

I understand what your saying (don't agree but whatever) but I just wanted to clarify.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

FanODays
hops

Exactly but how can they with Corday around? How can they get their vision onscreen? No writer has been allowed to do that after their first few months since JER and even he had his vision tossed out 6 months in.

Some think it's easy. They think HW writes story, story gets onscreen and that's it. That hardly ever happens anymore. There are additions and re-writes all the time. Between the network, EP, etc you have many fingers in the proverbial pie, so much so that the writer's ideas end up being less then the ideas of others onscreen.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kyrai
Dec 16 2008, 09:45 AM
FanODays
hops

Exactly. The writers and tptb should have and follow their vision.

The stories should make fans excited and invested. We should want to root for our characters. We should argue because we care. What one fan wants, another doesn't. It's human nature. You want people to care. The problem is the stories are just not good.

No one is making tptb do anything. They are the only ones with the power to shape the show. Blaming the fans is a copout on poor management and poor writing.

No, no one is but fans do influence it, more then they realize.

Again, not accusing you or anyone here, but Corday listens to the rabid fans and panics because he has this insane thought that he must please everyone, which is impossible. That is when he goes into interfering mode and heaven help a writer if the network, actors, etc get involved too. Before you know it, most of the material is more the work of others then yourself and all you did was organize it and write it.

I think many would be shocked by what goes on and how little of the blame the HW, no matter who it is, deserves. Does that mean they are not to blame? No. Not at all. They share in the blame but they are a very small part of it and I think many would see that once they knew what really goes on.

Kyrai

PhoenixRising05
Dec 16 2008, 12:08 PM
No, no one is but fans do influence it, more then they realize.

Again, not accusing you or anyone here, but Corday listens to the rabid fans and panics because he has this insane thought that he must please everyone, which is impossible. That is when he goes into interfering mode and heaven help a writer if the network, actors, etc get involved too. Before you know it, most of the material is more the work of others then yourself and all you did was organize it and write it.

I think many would be shocked by what goes on and how little of the blame the HW, no matter who it is, deserves. Does that mean they are not to blame? No. Not at all. They share in the blame but they are a very small part of it and I think many would see that once they knew what really goes on.
Please don't take this wrong, because I don't mean it negatively, but you sound like you're either related to, good friends with, or married to a writer. I really appreciate the insight, and I believe you to some extent. It's just that there are so many details left out of the stories, so much that goes against history, even recent history, that I don't see how most of this can be Corday alone. I thought Ed Scott got in trouble for rewriting stories. How can others do it without Higley being able to get the writer's guild to back her again?

I understand there are some very vocal fans, but I don't necessarily think they speak on everything for the majority. I think there are many many different types of fans in every fanbase. Regardless, I don't get why KC would be so afraid of a fanbase. Firing Drake and Deidre seems to indicate the opposite, and I love it when writers get me all mad with a story. So long as it's story, not lack of. Reacting is the worst thing he could do, and I just have trouble seeing him even caring enough to react like this.

And I'm sorry if I'm touchy about the psycho fans comment, but it seems like a lot of discussion is terminated with 'it's psycho rabid fans fault', so I feel like I'm lumped into it. I've heard some stories (not just about J&M but about other fanbases in general) and I'm appalled by some of what I've heard, but I hope it's just a few, not the majority. What a select few do has nothing to do with my comments, imo.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply