Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: John Callahan now on contract
Topic Started: Dec 14 2008, 05:04 PM (3,992 Views)
six
Member Avatar

I'd like to know what these fans are doing that has KC so scared? Postcard campaigns? Death threats? If the writers would be putting out a good product, but for KC, finger pointing at fans shouldn't come into it at all. He's the one who's supposed to be listening to these people, and ruining things. Can anyone name one happy fanbase, though? Or one who has a glimmer of hope for their couple getting a good story anytime soon? Because I can't think of any. If Corday's plan is to please, or even placate these people, he's doing a terrible job.

Some of the ideas the writers come up with could be good, but they're the ones who aren't making them well rounded enough, and they're the ones who let things build up, then drop them off the radar without a second thought.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kyrai
Dec 16 2008, 02:14 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 16 2008, 12:08 PM
No, no one is but fans do influence it, more then they realize.

Again, not accusing you or anyone here, but Corday listens to the rabid fans and panics because he has this insane thought that he must please everyone, which is impossible. That is when he goes into interfering mode and heaven help a writer if the network, actors, etc get involved too. Before you know it, most of the material is more the work of others then yourself and all you did was organize it and write it.

I think many would be shocked by what goes on and how little of the blame the HW, no matter who it is, deserves. Does that mean they are not to blame? No. Not at all. They share in the blame but they are a very small part of it and I think many would see that once they knew what really goes on.
Please don't take this wrong, because I don't mean it negatively, but you sound like you're either related to, good friends with, or married to a writer. I really appreciate the insight, and I believe you to some extent. It's just that there are so many details left out of the stories, so much that goes against history, even recent history, that I don't see how most of this can be Corday alone. I thought Ed Scott got in trouble for rewriting stories. How can others do it without Higley being able to get the writer's guild to back her again?

I understand there are some very vocal fans, but I don't necessarily think they speak on everything for the majority. I think there are many many different types of fans in every fanbase. Regardless, I don't get why KC would be so afraid of a fanbase. Firing Drake and Deidre seems to indicate the opposite, and I love it when writers get me all mad with a story. So long as it's story, not lack of. Reacting is the worst thing he could do, and I just have trouble seeing him even caring enough to react like this.

And I'm sorry if I'm touchy about the psycho fans comment, but it seems like a lot of discussion is terminated with 'it's psycho rabid fans fault', so I feel like I'm lumped into it. I've heard some stories (not just about J&M but about other fanbases in general) and I'm appalled by some of what I've heard, but I hope it's just a few, not the majority. What a select few do has nothing to do with my comments, imo.
All I will say is that I know people in the business. I'm not married to anyone in it nor am I part of the business but I do know people in it who pass on info to me at times.

You will just have to trust me (or not LOL) when I see Corday is the major issue here and that the rabid fans I speak of (for which people like you, Ellie, Tammy, etc are not part of) are a major contributor as well, which is why it gets mentioned by many as a reason for the problems at Days. Your concerns and the concerns of people like you are sensible, rational, and understandable. It's the concerns of the fans some of us speak of that are the problem. Please understand that I am not trying to lump you or anyone else here in with the fans I speak of. Yes, a good amount of them are as bad as I say but not all of them are and I just wish Corday would listen to those people (people like you, Ellie, etc) and not the people who are irrational nutcases.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

six
Dec 16 2008, 02:43 PM
I'd like to know what these fans are doing that has KC so scared? Postcard campaigns? Death threats? If the writers would be putting out a good product, but for KC, finger pointing at fans shouldn't come into it at all. He's the one who's supposed to be listening to these people, and ruining things. Can anyone name one happy fanbase, though? Or one who has a glimmer of hope for their couple getting a good story anytime soon? Because I can't think of any. If Corday's plan is to please, or even placate these people, he's doing a terrible job.

Some of the ideas the writers come up with could be good, but they're the ones who aren't making them well rounded enough, and they're the ones who let things build up, then drop them off the radar without a second thought.
He reads the boards (the wrong ones, mostly NBC) and panicks if he sees people unhappy. He gets emails, letters, etc that threaten boycotts and he reacts. He just reacts too quickly or too irresponsibility instead of staying the source and committing to a consistent vision or listening to the right people. The guy is too jumpy. He tries to please everyone and you can't. Not everyone likes the same things. You have to try to please the most people you can and he can't grasp that. He needs to understand that you have to commit to a vision and, hopefully, get people to buy into it. If not, then you commit to another. You can't just continue with these kneejerk reactions that happen because a few fans get upset and you want to please them. That is why the show is a mess and why so many writers have had trouble getting their material and vision onscreen. Poor Lorraine Broderick can tell you. The woman was gone within a few episodes of her work as HW airing because of shit like this.

Kyrai

PhoenixRising05
Dec 16 2008, 04:38 PM
All I will say is that I know people in the business. I'm not married to anyone in it nor am I part of the business but I do know people in it who pass on info to me at times.

You will just have to trust me (or not LOL) when I see Corday is the major issue here and that the rabid fans I speak of (for which people like you, Ellie, Tammy, etc are not part of) are a major contributor as well, which is why it gets mentioned by many as a reason for the problems at Days. Your concerns and the concerns of people like you are sensible, rational, and understandable. It's the concerns of the fans some of us speak of that are the problem. Please understand that I am not trying to lump you or anyone else here in with the fans I speak of. Yes, a good amount of them are as bad as I say but not all of them are and I just wish Corday would listen to those people (people like you, Ellie, etc) and not the people who are irrational nutcases.
It's not that I don't believe you. It just seems like a non-sequitor for KC to be doing whatever these rabid psycho J&M fans tell him when he's just fired Drake and Deidre. I'm sure there's a lot of back stage stuff going on, maybe he's fed up and had enough or waffling or whatever. It doesn't matter because in the end, J&M are gone regardless. It just makes me frustrated if J&M fans are being thought of so negatively because of a select few, and there's nothing J&M fans can do about it. A lot of the posts just mention rabid Jarlena fans as if it is all of us, and it seems my posts are always viewed as wanting J&M above all when I really don't. I enjoy the show more with balance and various good stories. It would be a pretty boring show if it were just J&M or any couple by themselves.

Thank you for the reply, and not considering me psycho. I'd readily agree I'm a bit crazy, but I'm not threatening by any means. At least not yet. :)

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Kyrai
Dec 16 2008, 07:52 PM
PhoenixRising05

It's not that I don't believe you. It just seems like a non-sequitor for KC to be doing whatever these rabid psycho J&M fans tell him when he's just fired Drake and Deidre. I'm sure there's a lot of back stage stuff going on, maybe he's fed up and had enough or waffling or whatever. It doesn't matter because in the end, J&M are gone regardless. It just makes me frustrated if J&M fans are being thought of so negatively because of a select few, and there's nothing J&M fans can do about it. A lot of the posts just mention rabid Jarlena fans as if it is all of us, and it seems my posts are always viewed as wanting J&M above all when I really don't. I enjoy the show more with balance and various good stories. It would be a pretty boring show if it were just J&M or any couple by themselves.

Thank you for the reply, and not considering me psycho. I'd readily agree I'm a bit crazy, but I'm not threatening by any means. At least not yet. :)
Unfortunately, I'm sure there are people who are psycho. And it's sad. But, I'm sure it happens with ANY fanbase. We don't know the kinds of letters, phone calls, and emails they get, not to mention folks who might even be hanging around the studio. It could be Corday's hand was forced by Sony. We tend to forget that Sony is involved in this as part-owner of Days.
Tim, thanks for the insight that you can provide. I trust you, because you don't tend to "throw your connections" around, so when you say you have information, it's probably a good bet it's reliable. ;) (And that goes for our other good folks here! Not like some at other boards who are full of crap and have been disproven time and time again).

FanODays

PhoenixRising05
Kyrai
Dec 16 2008, 02:14 PM
PhoenixRising05
Dec 16 2008, 12:08 PM
No, no one is but fans do influence it, more then they realize.

Again, not accusing you or anyone here, but Corday listens to the rabid fans and panics because he has this insane thought that he must please everyone, which is impossible. That is when he goes into interfering mode and heaven help a writer if the network, actors, etc get involved too. Before you know it, most of the material is more the work of others then yourself and all you did was organize it and write it.

I think many would be shocked by what goes on and how little of the blame the HW, no matter who it is, deserves. Does that mean they are not to blame? No. Not at all. They share in the blame but they are a very small part of it and I think many would see that once they knew what really goes on.
Please don't take this wrong, because I don't mean it negatively, but you sound like you're either related to, good friends with, or married to a writer. I really appreciate the insight, and I believe you to some extent. It's just that there are so many details left out of the stories, so much that goes against history, even recent history, that I don't see how most of this can be Corday alone. I thought Ed Scott got in trouble for rewriting stories. How can others do it without Higley being able to get the writer's guild to back her again?

I understand there are some very vocal fans, but I don't necessarily think they speak on everything for the majority. I think there are many many different types of fans in every fanbase. Regardless, I don't get why KC would be so afraid of a fanbase. Firing Drake and Deidre seems to indicate the opposite, and I love it when writers get me all mad with a story. So long as it's story, not lack of. Reacting is the worst thing he could do, and I just have trouble seeing him even caring enough to react like this.

And I'm sorry if I'm touchy about the psycho fans comment, but it seems like a lot of discussion is terminated with 'it's psycho rabid fans fault', so I feel like I'm lumped into it. I've heard some stories (not just about J&M but about other fanbases in general) and I'm appalled by some of what I've heard, but I hope it's just a few, not the majority. What a select few do has nothing to do with my comments, imo.

For a long time I defended Corday right up until Melaswen and we found out that the dead were not dead and that Andre was behind it. I wasn't happy with so many characters that I loved being killed off but I was told it had to be done for budget purposes even though newbies were being hired throughout the whole storyline. I believed Corday when he said this was a straight out mystery and that there was no mind control and the DiMeras weren't behind it. Then he flip flopped on it all only to kill off some of the undead for a second time only to have them return again. I was done.

Since then, its been glaringly apparent that despite Corday's attempts to blame the fans, the writers, the internet, snowstorms, tennis tournaments, etc. the person who is primarily responsible for the sad state of the show is Ken Corday. Nobody forces him to try and pander to fanbases. He doesn't get that a month of EJami, a month of Lumi, a month of Ejole is going to make fans happy but it doesn't and worse, it damages the characters to the point that fans stop caring.

Phew, that felt good.

King
Member Avatar

Forgive me, I am just getting back in to DAYS so I just saw him for the first time........

HE LOOKS LIKE A HOT MESS! I don't want to sound shallow or anything...but is that a toupee? He looks horrible!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^I don't think so, King.

I think he put on so much weight that it just makes his hair look different. He does look awful. He definitely let himself go after AMC. Oy!

King
Member Avatar

LOL. Well, I don't mind bigger guys. I usually like some meat on the bones, but damn, the hair the hair the hair!

Kenny
Member Avatar

King
Dec 18 2008, 01:23 PM
LOL. Well, I don't mind bigger guys. I usually like some meat on the bones, but damn, the hair the hair the hair!
LMAO. My thoughts exactly.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

King
Well, sure but his face bloated up like he had an allergic reaction or something. It's almost like he had injections into his face and just stopped and let himself go.

I think the face is making the whole look worse.

Kriss4

What are the "right" boards?

Just curious which ones are right and who determines how right they are? What makes them right? What factors do you look at in determining a right board?

destinyrules
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 18 2008, 09:58 PM
King
Well, sure but his face bloated up like he had an allergic reaction or something. It's almost like he had injections into his face and just stopped and let himself go.

I think the face is making the whole look worse.
That was my first reaction to his appearance on this show, it took me a few minutes to realize it was actually HIM! He looks like he took a dose of seafood juice knowing he is allergic to every kind and turned into the Michelin man.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Kriss4
Dec 19 2008, 11:08 PM
What are the "right" boards?

Just curious which ones are right and who determines how right they are? What makes them right? What factors do you look at in determining a right board?

Well, I'm not Phoenix, but I can give you my assessment of "right boards".
YMMV, but to me, the right board is one that doesn't seem to cater to one fanbase or another, and allows open, honest discussion that doesn't resort to name-calling or cheerleading. There are some boards where a decent discussion is discouraged. If someone critiques characters or couples who have fanbases, often, the fanbases will swoop down like a swarm of locusts to cry foul or bashing or start following posters who give opposing viewpoints around like hyenas. Yes, there is some rotten bashing, but it takes good mods to know the difference between nasty bashing and insults and negative critiques based on opinions.

To me, posters on a good board don't try to focus on one character or couple, but rather, have input on the show as a whole and give their reasons why instead of doing a blanket bashing just because their favorites aren't on, and possibly, give reasons WHY. That's part of a good debate.

Good boards have fair moderators who stick to their guns about the rules, no matter who the posters are. They don't close a blind eye to reprimanding buddies if they need to go for the good of the board. And yes, I've had my hands slapped a few times at different boards, including this one, and I deserved it.

That's that! :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply